Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Cox_ba12

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 6:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Empty Re: .09 Piston and Cylinder Wear

Post  ffkiwi Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:06 am

Iceberg wrote:Thanks that was a quick question I had. Where to buy the gaskets. I had seen only .049 .020 and .010. I'll look at the places mentioned.

Ice

And just for the record-the Queen Bee .074 uses the same head gaskets as the .09-should you ever stumble across gaskets labelled as 'Queen Bee 074'-so they will work fine as well. Likewise the 09 heads and the Queen Bee head are interchangeable-but not of course equivalent.....but this does give you a degree of flexibility to experiment with plug heat if using the 074 head on an 09....and might be of some use in your current situation...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 am

Thanks very much Chris! The information is really appreciated.
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Empty re plating method with nikel

Post  davidll1984 Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:49 am

for used engine wit no comprestion to run fine like qeen bee no new part try nikel coin in plain vinegar wit litle salt cars batry acid 12v charger now place 1coin to positive and 1coin neg side in electrolisis solution let sit power on charger 6amp max for 20 min change coin to neg to pos now moove coin watch for coper if coin is not plain nikel y use magnetik nikel coin and copronikel but coin wil work if color turn blu too mutch coper try not disolve too mutch of plated coin use only coper plated coin try with magnet to test coin wen color is green yelow is redy for plating cleen part rince wit distiled water fix to aligator clip crome plated to neg side now old coin discard use silver coin now or wat ever made silver fit in de pot fix wit clip don toutch solution with positive clip in solution just silver part move part dont stop for 5 min stop now part has just a film nikel under black residu use fine steelwool wit blue soop dont friction mutch genle go by 5 minut a time cylinder wil change color piston top wil get plated now crome top piston wil look litle black 2 3 first shot try fit piston in cylinder evry 5 minut tret no nead first tyme 4 to 5 bath wil bring piston like new now reset piston con rod after wel polish watch you tube wil explain bether it worked for my jerobee engines sufer from sand ingestion in cylinder wil get pic nex tyme it hapen
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 am

Could you supply a link to that Youtube video? I'm fascinated and have several Arden .099s that might benefit from such a process.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:10 am

davidll1984 wrote:for used engine wit no comprestion to run fine like qeen bee no new part try nikel coin in plain vinegar wit litle salt cars batry acid 12v charger now place 1coin to positive and 1coin neg side in electrolisis solution let sit power on charger 6amp max for 20 min change coin to neg to pos now moove coin watch for coper if coin is not plain nikel y use magnetik nikel coin and copronikel but coin wil work if color turn blu too mutch coper try not disolve too mutch of plated coin use only coper plated coin try with magnet to test coin  wen color is green yelow is redy for plating cleen part rince wit distiled water fix to aligator clip crome plated to neg side now old coin discard use silver coin now or wat ever made silver fit in de pot fix wit clip don toutch solution with positive clip in solution just silver part move part dont stop for 5 min stop now part has just a film nikel under black residu use fine steelwool wit blue soop dont friction mutch genle go by 5 minut a time cylinder wil change color piston top wil get plated now crome top piston wil look litle black 2 3 first shot try fit piston in cylinder evry 5 minut tret no nead first tyme 4 to 5 bath wil bring piston like new now reset piston con rod after wel polish watch you tube wil explain bether it worked for my jerobee engines sufer from sand ingestion in cylinder wil get pic nex tyme it hapen
A little hard to follow, but good idea to plate the cylinder. I have been considering a couple OS LA cylinders that have peeled. Some videos that I watched used solder inside the bore so it was centred. A bit over my pay scale. I am sure it is fairly simple to do with good clean parts. An old flying buddy used a car battery for power. I did not know about using a coin for the electrode.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:57 pm

This sounds similar to repairing a Mccoy .35 piston using a hammer. While it might work, it's going to be short lived. I know someone that does cylinder chroming and the short brief tutorial above is crude at best. I suppose if your a caveman it works because even they can do it or so they say. The process needs to be done correctly in order to not peel and have the cylinder round. The honing equipment required is extremely expensive and not something a modeler would own.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:50 pm

Maybe the hammer to a McCoy is a good thing? Here is a tutorial that seems good to me. https://www.nclra.org/TechTopics/WayneTrivin/Chroming.html A bit involved. Then there are the car guys with the "pinch". That would not work on the TD with the fins. The neighbor that did the chroming with the 12V battery had good results. Did lots of old Supertiger G .15s for Goodyear racing. He made laps for each size bore. Not really hones.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:28 pm

yes aspeed right no nead to hones cylinder piston cylinder wil need micro polishing wit such as mother pure polish no ken cook aloy not wat y talk no McCOY PISTON JUST COX OR ENY CROME METAL ONE now yes hav explained fast simple but wen u get a chance searche for info befor seying it peal of use crome is asardous wy not use just nikel metal and my method is for hoo had mecanique skils bieng french is hard to explain just get look aspeed tech topic is closse to my method cylinder in previous elecrolisis solution is made y suggest coin for evry one can try at home wen plating cylinder stainles steel rod is used on plus side for piston neg side never place a part on plus u can use coin during it just keap solution saturation nikel electrolise is good for ever multiple tyme wit same stuf it worked for me used a ferous nikel from 20 euro worth like 1 us
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:01 am

no hamer need just 5 minute a tyme dont try to build up mutch materiel just fil up crack scar ling in piston and cylinder if u aving piston spare use it for polishing in cylinder jut lock with reset tool and patiance never go piston head in first. upside down in cylinder go slow just wit hand after look fine try real piston in pusch him down in place if it bind uf keap polishing piston it self just nead fine steel wool and litle hand polish
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Basswood Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:12 am

David I think I understand what you are trying to say. I'm retired from the mining industry. We used electrolyte plating all the time in processing of precious metals. but with your language I'm still having a little bit of a hard time understanding what your trying to say. We always nickel plated over steel or Iron before we gold plated. We used to say the plating is only as good as what's under it. same way with chrome. let me put it this way if it doesn't have a good nickel plate under it, it won't last long the chrome will peel up/off..
Basswood
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:11 am

He's describing this process. https://www.instructables.com/id/High-Quality-and-safe-Nickel-Plating/

Looking into it, it will work and give a layer of nickel that's a bit harder than the base steel. Proper technical nickel plating is at least twice as hard. Would be fun to try as there are no nasty chemicals. I'm certain that cleanliness of the part will determine the outcome, and if the bore has scratches it would need refinishing prior.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:04 am

I bought a few MK1 Rossi .15s that were modified a fair bit. A couple had some dimples inside to hold the oil, I presume. They were not ABC yet at that time. It looked like they were put in by the monokote dimpler tool, although it would never fit inside. Some guys would plate the piston instead of the liner. I don't know anyone personally that did this but supped it could work for a while on a cast piston. I think the liner would be best, especially on the TD which has a soft liner and hard piston already. David, have you tried Google Translate? I have read a few languages that translate fairly well. Russian does not work well, but German and French are OK.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:42 pm

using a xbox is imposible to get google translate wit my girl friend y pad y can just dont no how to use corect way and dont have mutch time for post just use my litle word like kids lol Smile it is simple worked fo me enyting good take its time do same lernig method for nikel plate as lerning new stuf u dont fly first time so take time beleve me is worth if som 1 try just post result here wil take pic of piston and cylinder wen get a chance to me use english is hard belive me. like to schare wit al of you cox is part of my life wil bee for ever
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Empty parts wit plating used lot

Post  davidll1984 Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:11 pm

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Image55
.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Image54
.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Image55
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Empty .049 nikel plated piston

Post  davidll1984 Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:14 pm

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Image56
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:20 pm

y wil doo a plating job on qeen bee and tee dee .049 part below pic befor after tee dee is al redy plated wil just do it 1 , 5minute on that one se holow mark from previous reset after plating it as run last sumer couple time over heat
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Empty .074 plating result

Post  davidll1984 Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:07 pm

.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Image63
.09 Piston and Cylinder Wear - Page 2 Image64
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:00 am

Looks OK. Did you plate both, piston and cylinder? Or just the cylinder.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:00 pm

yes both wil also plate crank chaft coper first and nikel very thin layer to help les friction and wear wil plate piston second time and cylinder wit coper on out side for gold look it can start wit starter but run weak wil try build more comprestion see if it can be bether
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:39 pm

I don't think both the piston and cylinder should be plated. If surfaces are the same material/hardness, they will exchange with friction. Maybe just the inside of the cylinder is best because it is softest.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:19 pm

aspeed is right y see line on piston cose by materiel exchange after run just 2 time not mutch comprestion recovery is sur bether not yet finish wil atempt new materiel same way wil try heat electrolise to bether chemical bond. back wit result soon
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2