Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

New twist to the hobby Cox_ba12

New twist to the hobby Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:51 pm

» Tired of it all…
by 706jim Today at 10:03 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:58 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

New twist to the hobby Empty
Live on Patrol

New twist to the hobby

Go down

New twist to the hobby Empty New twist to the hobby

Post  fit90 Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:10 pm

As I try to work my way back into flying R/C, especially 1/2a size R/C, I am really doubting my ability to safely follow a small, fast moving plane in flight.  It is looking like an eye exam and new glasses might be a new part of the hobby for me. This getting old thing is really for the birds!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

New twist to the hobby Empty Re: New twist to the hobby

Post  balogh Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:43 pm

I can only encourage you..I wear +4.75 dioptry multifocal glasses and so far have never lost sight of my smallest, 010 powered RC planes either. From physical point of view I believe CL flying is more tiring. An RC pilot just stands and follows with his eyes the mainly linear flight path of the plane rather than running in dizzying circles.

I would recommend you begin with a slow flyer RC plane of 30...32 inches wingspan powered by a 049 reedy instead of a smaller one having a TD in its nose that can be a helluva fast one.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:17 pm

Don't give up trying.

I have glaucoma (pertially sighted in one eye) and am developing cataracts. I can only manage slow flyers and the smaller the plane the more difficult I find it.

I have smashed countless park flyers now because I have been disorientated and have to fly them not too high so I have little room for error.

All my models so far are electricker and I cheat. They have self levelling, I can flick a switch and they will resume level flight if high enough. My newer ones will return to home.

I have seen a few of these with 049 engines and they are floaters and quite tough. One in particular because I supplied the engine. A Cox Medallion with the Hiscott RC silencer. (one of the few Cox engines that passes the noise test at the field). I believe he used a 6x2 prop on it to keep the speed down.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3030

Don't do as I did and start with warbirds - keep it simple but pick a colour scheme that makes the model more visible and shows its orientation.

Remember also that the small slow flyers don't like wind. I usually fly early morning when it is calm but often the wind wakes up and I find that the plane is going further downwind and I can't bring it back. So I have to land it at some distance and that isn't easy to judge.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:23 pm

I can’t really relate, but going slower as mentioned above seems to be the ticket. Go see the doc and you may be surprised.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:41 pm

I have had prescription glasses for several years. I have just been stubbornly avoiding wearing them. I think if I want to get back into 1/2a flying I just need a new prescription and to actually wear the damn things. I will be reliving a big part of my youth by flying Cox engined planes while letting go of a part of my youth by admitting I really do need glasses to fly. I think the fun of flying the small planes will greatly out weigh the bruise to my ego.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:19 pm

Get prescription sunglasses for flying. It's just like being 30 again! Until you have to fill the tank or fiddle with the prop nut. Then you gotta take 'em off and get the other glasses out. The facade is busted.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:09 pm

Hey, Bob,
I agree with Dave on that. If the glasses are really working, you will wear them. That's what they say about kids, and it's just as true for adults too.

I wear transition lenses that darken in the sun as long as you're not behind a UV blocking window like a car windshield... I was disappointed about that. And those don't get dark enough for looking at the sky. Especially your scorching summer Florida sky, the brightest I have ever seen. So I also bought some very dark scrip glasses for driving and outdoor use at the field and beach.

If you ever fly C/L Stunt, remember, when you are forced to fly through the sun, close one eye while you're in the middle of it. That way one eye won't have to readjust before you can see your plane again.

Get glasses. And write flight reports for us. I've fallen down on my job as a Forum storyteller. I do miss that.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:55 am

Yea get ur eyes checked , has time i went in (not long ago) i was having trouble seeing with my contacts , and come to find out my eyes had gotten better , i am nearsighted so need reading glasses . Yeck i got a new life from that visit . On the plane yes slow and med size floater , when i was learning to fly at one time (a long time ago ) i had to recover a planes wing on one side and didn't have the match color so i went with a orange instead of white and i could see alot better weather the plane was coming or going and which side was banking , that seem to bee my main problem that and fling at me LF / RT Duh RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:04 am

Friends! ... I started using glasses after my 40 years, now I wear multifocals for short, medium and long distance, in turn, I can add sunglasses to the same lens and the result is really very good.
I want to give you some advice that, I would like to see you personally, because without wind and windy, this model is great and very safe.
This is the AMA PT (Frank Ehling  cheers  Clapping  Clapping  Clapping ), which I converted into RC, you must take the wing to an incidence of 1.2 degrees positive and zero degree for the stabilizer, place 20 mm of dihedral and place ailerons and I assure you that you will have an incredibly safe model , agile, acrobatic and docile ... create me is an incredible model .... hopefully assemble one, put on your new glasses and you will surely enjoy it like me.
Fact: If you extend the plane to .010 or .020 you should make a wingspan of 630 mm.
If you want to extend the plane to .049 or .051 you should make a wingspan of 780 to 800 mm.

These are my current glasses:
New twist to the hobby 20200113
New twist to the hobby 20200111
New twist to the hobby 20200112

Here the plane:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5720
Here is my construction video: Cox .010 and Cox .020 (r / c)

Flight video:
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down