Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Project Airplane? - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Project Airplane? - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sherline lathe wont run
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by 706jim Yesterday at 8:13 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:26 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:43 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Mon May 13, 2024 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Mon May 13, 2024 7:37 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Project Airplane? - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Project Airplane?

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Project Airplane? - Page 3 Empty Re: Project Airplane?

Post  Dave P. Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:22 pm

Yes, the 11-7 on the Webra. 10-6 or so the LA.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 pm

Just to show the relative scale of a 61, my favorite classic pattern engine, a Fitzpatrick 61 and my favorite Cox 020.  The 020 is the same size as the prop drive and spinner on the Fitz.  The cylinder on the 020 is not that much larger than the venturi on the Fitz too.

Project Airplane? - Page 3 Img_2011
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:38 pm

That's funny right there. What a comparison.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:42 am

Hold on to your panties !! Thats a nice looking engine Dave Shocked
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  daddyo Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Don't let that 0.020 get sucked into that 61's venturi
daddyo
daddyo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:37 pm

Ok. Got some more work done on the fuselage this weekend. Side put on, the other fixed up, firewall installed, front hatch mount remade and installed. Also had to re[pair the wing again. Noticed a slight warp downwards, so I had to cut the main spar and bend teh wing back to straight and reglue it. Followed by some more reinforcements on both sides. Wing is currently sheeted and is taped, clamped and drying as I type this. SO I will get a few more pics tomorrow. Also just glued in some firewall reinforcements, again, pictures of that tomorrow.
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91609610
Project Airplane? - Page 3 90969810
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91188710
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91057510
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91522310
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91235710
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91177410
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:43 pm

And here are a couple of the wing re-repair repair..... I call it 'The Straightening".... Very Happy And in the last picture I had made a couple triangle blocks and glued them to the center section and the trailing edge for added strength as teh factury had just glued the trailing edges on by about a 1/16" and using only CA. They were not strong at all.
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91290910
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91531210
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91450510
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:50 pm

Those Fitzwillies were a work of art at the time. In the beginning they were made in Southern Ontario near me, then they tried to cut costs and moved around until they closed. 222, I basically glued up my fuselage like yours and added a 2" wide strip of 3/32" from about the firewall back to just behind the farthest crack, Half a sheet each side in my case. I tapered the edges a bit so it didn't look too obvious but doubt that I fooled anyone.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:31 pm

Thanks for that tip. I was thinking about something like that, but wasn't sure. But now with that confirmation, I probably will do it when I am done with the rest of the work. That would be the easiest part of this rebuild!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:32 pm

Interesting fact, Chancey, I first saw the Fitzpatrick in a review in the Model Airplane News issue that had the 1/2A Stealth article.  Love at first sight.  I ended up with both.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:08 pm

cool project, it's coming along nice...over the years i got rebuilding down to a science :^ (..

A fun fly type plane like that you'd want more pulling power, not so much speed, 11x7 would work, but a 12x6 might be better for more vertical and was the standard R/C prop for .60's, forever.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:33 pm

Well, this will probably be the last update for a while as all non-essential things are closing down for at least two weeks due to Covid-19. With that said, I will probably not have the time to pick up the required things to finish the model with. But I may be able to find some filler material from a friend, then I will be just needing covering. Things left to do are to replace one of the wing hold down dowels, and finish the hatch area. Then it is just the finishing before covering. I would like to still put some doublers on the fuselage sides, but if I cannot get to the LHS, I may not use them, although I had intended to do so. It is very tough and ridgid already. Thanks for following. Also, while off for a few weeks, I hope to bench run the Webra .61 that will be going onto this plane.
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91163610
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91437810
Project Airplane? - Page 3 92101510
Project Airplane? - Page 3 91140310
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Looking good. Not sure of your R/C experience, but if you're looking for a nice flyer/trainer the .46 with a 11x4 would pull it, but performance would be marginal. The Webra would be pretty nice and lots of fun, you might even look at 13x4 prop.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:55 pm

Well, looky here -- there's an airplane almost all grown up. Good job -- and you got it back together pretty quickly.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:32 am

When I first saw it I would have left it in the dumpster! Amazing what you have done!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:44 am

That is pretty amazing. Well done.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:32 am

She is a looking good Chancey , what did you decide on the Ailerons no still thinking about it ? If you never flew with them they can make things easier with turns and i would think rolls . either way stay safe and hope you can post a little on the engine run . Shamrock
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:55 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Looking good. Not sure of your R/C experience, but if you're looking for a nice flyer/trainer the .46 with a 11x4 would pull it, but performance would be marginal. The Webra would be pretty nice and lots of fun, you might even look at 13x4 prop.

Firstly, thank you all for the compliments and encouragement with this project. As I believe I had stated earlier, there were at least two times during the rebuild that I was honestly very ready to call it quits and salvage the hardware. But it was all the positive things posted here that made me stick with it, it just may have taken me a day to let it all sink in. Now for teh questions....

Mark. RC experience is so-so. I have flown micro RTF planes and co-axial helis, and micro quads. Also I have a fair bit of stick time with scratchbuild foam electric planes in the 36" - 42" wingspan. With that all said, I have not flown much the past couple of years. I have been out once thsi year with a buddy flying my electric. As for nitro. Zero experience, well ok, once but we won't talk about that as it was back around 1995 and didn't last long....

And Eric. The ailerons will definately be used, it was the flaps that were questionable. Unless I had made a mistake in what I had typed earlier. As for the decision. It has not yet been made. Part of me really wants to omit them, but the other part says put the servos in as they are already there. So with that said, at this very moment, there is no concrete decision of whether or not I will use them, but am now leaning to installing them. As for the engine run. If I can remember to take some shots or video, I will definately post something up on them. I will be running both the Webra 61, and OS LA 46 now that my carburetor had arrived here safely either yesterday or today. And which will go aboard for the ride, again, not yet decided, but am leaning to the Webra. I do have a home for the LA 46 aboard another plane, of which will be the next rebuild topic of mine coming up in a week or so...... Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:24 pm

I wouldn't worry about flaps. Unless you're stuck with a really short field, I've never found flaps to be much more than a novelty on a sport plane. They're effective on the larger scale military models, mainly because the wing loading is so high. Secondly, you can't fly a plane with zero dihedral as R/E only -- it just won't turn and once it rolls, it's in the dirt. Consequently, your choice to use ailerons is necessary.

Getting off the strip will require using your left thumb. A lot of folks seldom use the rudder when flying; it's mostly bank and yank, which is fine. When taking off, just remember you can't turn on the ground with ailerons. I've seen some newer flyers forget and roll right when their plane starts veer left on the ground. A few high speed taxies will help you get the hang of steering.

You've done a great job and should be proud of your work. I've enjoyed the story!!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:40 pm

If I was you I'd get in a bunch of flights with a large foamy expendable/ easily repairable RC plane first! I've flown electric RC for 4 yrs. now but would be a bit apprehensive flying that .60 nitro monster myself. .15 size is about what I intend to start with as far as nitro RC. Hate to see all that hard work rekitted AGAIN! 🙂
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:48 pm

OhBee wrote:If I was you I'd get in a bunch of flights with a large foamy  expendable/ easily repairable RC plane first! I've flown electric RC for 4 yrs. now but would be a bit apprehensive flying that .60 nitro monster myself. .15 size is about what I intend to start with as far as nitro RC.   Hate to see all that hard work rekitted AGAIN!  🙂

i think you'll be fine, .60 size planes fly a lot smoother and don't get bumped around in air like smaller planes, lol, they're just a bear to transport. Flap are so-so, they just don't seem to work as well as 1:1 planes do unless they're large barn door types, results will probably be less than impressive.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:52 am

Little airplanes flit, big airplanes fly. You're going to find that Stick flies better than any 20 or 40 you've ever flown.  The flaps are fun to mess around with.  There's so much more that you can do with them than just use them for landing.  Set them in crow at high speed and watch that thing stop in mid-flight.  You can even land backwards with a bit of headwind. Couple them with ailerons and do some rolls.  That is one fun airplane. For what it's worth, your Webra wants to turn some rpms.  Don't lug it down with big lumber.It'll be like putting a 6-3 on a TD.  It'll turn a big prop but it would prefer to run a bit faster.

Really great job saving a Dumpster Special. I really think you'll find that it was worth the effort.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:31 am

Well, thanks again for the compliments. I guess I will be doing some more reading of 'crow', as I have heard of it, but never used it ever, as my experience flying is all with 42" and under foamies. The more I hear about it, the more I am looking forward to flying this thing. It sounds like it will be a blast.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:33 am

So I'm just about there now. Got the fuse and wing covered, switch installed, firewall got a light coat of epoxy on it, and engine (Webra Speed .61) and mount installed. Servo cutouts cleaned and ready for servo installation, as the Tower Pro MG995 servos required a very slight trimming to fit. The only things left are the front hatch needs to be finished, it is currently drying, and landing gear needs to be straightened, which is gonna be tough without a press. Servo installation will be starting tomorrow with what remaining grommets I have left here. Then the final straw will be making and hooking up the flaps, as I was short one rod for it, and the rods are 4" long threaded both ends. So I will probably end up making two new rods so they will be equal, unless I find one here, or the LHS opens again soon so I can look there. As for covering, with the closures, I did not add a doubler to the sides as originally intended, but it does truly feel solid enough. As for covering, I have a roll of doculam, so that is what was used, so I can show off my handy work..... Yeah, thats it.... I will hopefully get a chance to fly it this year as the club is still closed and not taking membership payments yet, and I have to do some flight training as well. But worst case, I will head out with a friend and giver' a shot this summer at his club. We do have a bet going here. If it stays up for 5 minutes, I will get his smaller electric Ultra Stick. Very Happy Slowly but surly, I'm getting there!

Project Airplane? - Page 3 92701010
Project Airplane? - Page 3 92020510
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:57 am

Cool !! She is looking good and appears you will bee adopting a smaller electric Ultra Stick to boot Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next