Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox planes on Ebay - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Cox planes on Ebay - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by getback Today at 4:25 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 4:23 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 5:02 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Today at 12:51 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:41 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 8:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 4:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 2:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 9:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox planes on Ebay - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox planes on Ebay

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

LOL Re: Cox planes on Ebay

Post  Iceberg Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:42 pm

No I don't have any pictures of that electric plane. Flew out for a season and lost it after that. Didn't have a camera in those days. Just 12 years old.

Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:12 am

Mark, it is very colorful photograph of an unusual model powered with a colorful Babe Bee. Very nice photograph in every aspect. Well, I didn't vote it because I couldn't decide that the painted Bee is in working condition or not. I look at the cylinder and it has dust on it. If I'm wrong with this please accept my apologizes. Very Happy Very Happy

Peace as always Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:39 am

Mark Diedrichs wrote:
944_Jim wrote:Mark,

What does "knock finky" mean?
TIA
Has to do with the cox engine contest. As finky was not the (normal model) submission!! Mark

If it "Has to do with the Cox engine contest", why are you discussing it in this thread?  I'm confused as to why there is a problem here.  When there's prizes on the line, such as the Cox Engine of the Month competition, I can see where people have the right to question an entry.  Fact is, the person running the competition didn't disallow any of the entries, so everyting ought to be fine.  The voters have spoken.

This thread is discussing Cox planes that have come up on ebay and has strayed a little off track.  Happens all the time.  No harm in that.  We don't want us to limit ourselves to just Cox engine discussions.  It adds a lot of interest talking about other "off-topic" stuff, unless of course it turns political. Affraid or WOW!

I'm outta here.
lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:25 am

I'm guilty of taking this thread off-track, as I often do. My bad.

But I try to post things that are interesting to the group as a whole that touch on the original subject and I did try to squeeze in a picture of my Cox Ez-Bee.

I don't vote in the Cox Engine Contest anymore because I have a difficult time determining the "best" picture. To me they are all winners. I just enjoy looking at all the pictures.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RNajarian Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 am

I found this photo on the web of a Cox Electro Charger Spitfire some guy picked up off eBay. He said the 2.4 volt  NiCad battery was shot and was able to carefully open up the glued plane with an Exacto knife.

Replacement with a LiPo battery was a bad idea since the complete draining of the LiPo battery would quickly lead to its demise.

I’m thinking of experimenting with low cost 3.6 volt Nickel Metal Hydride telephone batteries and see how they perform. As I remember from my youth, I needed to pull/whip the electro charger Spitfire to get it airborne and to keep it flying. The original 2.4 v battery/motor combo was a bit anemic.

Cox planes on Ebay - Page 2 E1524e10
RNajarian
RNajarian
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:03 am

A li-po alarm can be used. Li-po batteries are lighter than Ni-Mh. I set the alarm 3.5 Volts.

Cox planes on Ebay - Page 2 56784710
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:16 am

It is 8.23 grams:

Cox planes on Ebay - Page 2 20200710
Cox planes on Ebay - Page 2 20200711
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

LOL Finky factor

Post  Mark Diedrichs Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:35 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:Mark, it is very colorful photograph of an unusual model powered with a colorful Babe Bee. Very nice photograph in every aspect. Well, I didn't vote it because I couldn't decide that the painted Bee is in working condition or not. I look at the cylinder and it has dust on it. If I'm wrong with this please accept my apologizes. Very Happy  Very Happy

Peace as always  Very Happy
Levent thanks for your kind words. Finky was a labor of love for me. Just thought everyone would get a kick out of it. No dust, the cylinder is metallic purple and the head is metallic silver. It would run it but I want to keep it clean on the shelf. Eye candy!!! Thanks Maybe my last hurrah who knows these days... Stay safe Bro, Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi Mark, I never thought it was painted in metallic colors. Very Happy Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:51 pm

Mark, I think the reason why that you did not garner votes for Finky has to do more with what eye candy the other photos provided to highlight their engines.

Hijacked I may sound a bit picky, but unless something uniquely different and eye catching is done to the engine, especially for a plain Jane Babe Bee (with a finish more than paint), it usually is passed up. Plus, the angle of the photo taken accents Finky more than it does the engine.

Seems the rarer earlier engines such as the RR-1, Space Bugs and Hoppers, Thermal Hoppers, Strato Bugs, Olympics and Sportsmans in excellent condition garner more votes. A uniquely changed Cox engine with custom parts are another eye catcher, changes to carburation, different combinations of color anodized aluminum parts, changed heads, custom muffling, mounting systems , etc. Lately, the anodized larger aluminum fuel tanks and newer style venturi's have been eye catchers on the 1/4th-A Tee Dee's, also the 3D printed custom non-tank backs for the Bee's. Kim has taken his classic engines, but has caught the eye with engine shown running in flight, which is a unique feat. The models to which engines are mounted, whether Q-Tee, Minnie Mambo, 2 meter glider, etc. are less important.

The eye catcher is not the model to which the engine is mounted to, but is more contributory. I suppose if you had mounted a Space Bug Jr. or Strato Bug to the back of Finky with matching fuel tank to compliment / match his colors with a shot showing more of the engine, you'd probably would have been more competitive with the others.
Back To Topic

Just saying .... Popcorn drunken sunny lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

LOL Advantages and disadvantages

Post  happydad Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:38 am

RNajarian wrote:I found this photo on the web of a Cox Electro Charger Spitfire some guy picked up off eBay. He said the 2.4 volt  NiCad battery was shot and was able to carefully open up the glued plane with an Exacto knife.

Replacement with a LiPo battery was a bad idea since the complete draining of the LiPo battery would quickly lead to its demise.

I’m thinking of experimenting with low cost 3.6 volt Nickel Metal Hydride telephone batteries and see how they perform. As I remember from my youth, I needed to pull/whip the electro charger Spitfire to get it airborne and to keep it flying. The original 2.4 v battery/motor combo was a bit anemic.

Cox planes on Ebay - Page 2 E1524e10

There are advantaged and disadvantages to each type of battery. The old NiCd were cheap, heavy, but could take many recycles, just not built for setting around, over time they tended to leak like used, old AA alkaline batteries. Been there done that. Enter Nickel Metal Hydride, forgot the symbol, cheaper, can handle more current per square inc, mm , whatever, but still didn’t like to sit around, over time rotting, leaking just like the NiCd. Now days NiCd use a different additive, can’t remember getting old, but the can handle much more power per square X than they could before. I would try the NiCd like used before, but maybe check motor specs and see if you could add 1 more cell, but a smaller size, not power, I.e. current rating.
   What is the rating on the battery shown in the picture? 1.2volt at maybe 800mAhr?  You should be able to get that in a smaller package now. Those look like 2/3 D cells maybe, popular in those days, but not rated for much, maybe 600mAhr. I had a tower hobbies electric cardinal that used 6 of the 2/3 C or sub C cells which were much smaller and were rated for 800mAhr.
Gotta go boss is coming.

Happydad. RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RNajarian Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:28 am

I wonder if it could be modified to have replaceable batteries once the airplane is glued back together? Maybe a 3 cell NiMh telephone battery pack (AA type cells putting out 3.6 volts). The original batteries look to be 2 C cell NiCad cells (1.2 x 2 = 2.4v)

If there was a small cutout on the bottom of the airplane you could slide the battery inside the airplane just at the center of gravity between flights, this way getting more than one 4 minute flight.

Or who knows, if the profile was small enough put the batteries outside under the wing between the landing carriage, where the radiator was in the real Spitfire.

This photo below was borrowed from a thread off this forum. . .
Cox planes on Ebay - Page 2 A2148f10

Here are a few NiMh 3.6 battery packs to consider . . .

Cox planes on Ebay - Page 2 1d030010

Just an idea, trying to think out of the box. Weight is an issue obviously.
RNajarian
RNajarian
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RNajarian Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:54 am

. . . just had a pretty good idea . . .

The original battery was located right under the pilot canopy. If I cut a small hole under the canopy a battery pack could be inserted through the top and then covered by the removable canopy. A quick connect to the airplanes electronics would eliminate the need for the undercarriage recharging wires.

Photo below borrowed from a thread in this forum. . .
Cox planes on Ebay - Page 2 D2d3b910
RNajarian
RNajarian
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:23 am

RNajarian wrote:. . . just had a pretty good idea . . .

The original battery was located right under the pilot canopy. If I cut a small hole under the canopy a battery pack could be inserted through the top and then covered by the removable canopy. A quick connect to the airplanes electronics would eliminate the need for the undercarriage recharging wires.

Yes, this is best idea for the battery replacement.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:06 pm

With the right motor and battery combo things would GREATLY improve. If someone could 3D print the fuselage in foam maybe even better still.
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

LOL Too heavy

Post  happydad Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:10 pm

Iceberg wrote:With the right motor and battery combo things would GREATLY improve. If someone could 3D print the fuselage in foam maybe even better still.
Ice

>>>>>Edited 7-17-2020. 12:22p.m.PST
Is the fuselage foam or plastic? I assumed it was light foam, but my comment about 3D printing still holds. I think it might be too heavy. Only the guys who have 3D printed items like this could really comment on the weight. >>>>>>>

Me thinks a 3D printed fuselage would be too heavy. A better solution would be sacrifice your fuselage or make a wood copy, Inside and outside,  fiberglass over the 2 halves, then insert the right kind if foam, ??, into the form and knock them copies out.
  Me also thinks someone here on this form has some experience with this process, in the nose cone, cowling area,  Anyone? Feedback Please

Happydad RC Plane     United States  Old Bugger

Last edited by happydad on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add content)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

LOL What is the voltage, And Amperage can you read it?

Post  happydad Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:19 pm

RNajarian wrote:. . . just had a pretty good idea . . .

RNajarian: are you able to remove the batteries? Are you able to read the voltage and amperage?
    Are you able to measure the diameter and length of the battery?
We can tell a lot by the measurements. AA are certain size, C are certain size, 1/2 C are certain size, 1/2 D are certain size, etc.

Shouldn’t you be up in the air somewhere? LOL

Happydad.   RC Plane    United States    Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RNajarian Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:19 pm

As soon as I receive the model I’ll report back here ...

Today’s my day off. No flights for me .
RNajarian
RNajarian
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

LOL Ooooooohhhhhhhh!

Post  happydad Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:51 pm

RNajarian wrote:As soon as I receive the model I’ll report back here ...

Today’s my day off. No flights for me .

oh!   You may be in for a big surprise, or not. I thought you had the item already. I was just going back over the pictures and noticed the “borrowed from ....”, note. Well, have fun when you get the item and I hope you didn’t pay too much for your COX made ELECTRIC plane.

Happydad RC Plane United States     Old Bugger Old Bugger (getting older by the minute)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

LOL Oh poor misunderstood Finky. Just trying to help.

Post  Mark Diedrichs Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:13 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Mark, I think the reason why that you did not garner votes for Finky has to do more with what eye candy the other photos provided to highlight their engines.

Hijacked I may sound a bit picky, but unless something uniquely different and eye catching is done to the engine, especially for a plain Jane Babe Bee (with a finish more than paint), it usually is passed up. Plus, the angle of the photo taken accents Finky more than it does the engine.

Seems the rarer earlier engines such as the RR-1, Space Bugs and Hoppers, Thermal Hoppers, Strato Bugs, Olympics and Sportsmans in excellent condition garner more votes. A uniquely changed Cox engine with custom parts are another eye catcher, changes to carburation, different combinations of color anodized aluminum parts, changed heads, custom muffling, mounting systems , etc. Lately, the anodized larger aluminum fuel tanks and newer style venturi's have been eye catchers on the 1/4th-A Tee Dee's, also the 3D printed custom non-tank backs for the Bee's. Kim has taken his classic engines, but has caught the eye with engine shown running in flight, which is a unique feat. The models to which engines are mounted, whether Q-Tee, Minnie Mambo, 2 meter glider, etc. are less important.

The eye catcher is not the model to which the engine is mounted to, but is more contributory. I suppose if you had mounted a Space Bug Jr. or Strato Bug to the back of Finky with matching fuel tank to compliment / match his colors with a shot showing more of the engine, you'd probably would have been more competitive with the others.
Back To Topic

Just saying .... Popcorn drunken sunny lol!
Not after any votes, was just trying to fill the 10th spot to expedite the engine contest. Acceptance would be nice. Not look'in to be picked at. Just want to be part of the forum. Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:18 pm

Actually Mark, not trying to be critical or anything. I've only had 2 submissions in the contest over past several years, a field find 1960's Babe Bee restored to running condition and a 1970's Pee Wee in a 30" Goldberg Ranger 30 FF. People enjoyed them, got a few votes but certainly not winners.

Lately I've been involved with volunteer work with the Salvation Army and as such, don't post as much as I used to. But I still enjoy the small stuff, because I was very avidly involved in it since 1965, starting with an 18" Scientific Musciano stand way off scale Grumman F6F Hellcat built up kit powered by .020 Pee Wee as a 12YO birthday gift from my parents and a Cox .049 Supermarine Spitfire RTF as a 11YO Christmas present.

Single channel Ace pulse proportional during late 1970's helped me to keep my sanity flying on the windward side of the Pali (on Oahu opposite Honolulu on the way to Kaneohe, got my engineering degree from Pineapple U) with several planes during college and life as a young working man.

It's all about fun, and reality is one can fly RC reasonably cheap if they can overcome the my model is bigger than your model syndrome. Not saying that is what this discussion is about, but looking at the larger stuff that I bought but don't use, things got more complicated than necessary.

Life doesn't have to be complex to have fun. Kim and others around here have shown that to be true.
Anyway, may be Jason needs to create a new sign emoticon with the words, "SOAP BOX"? I Love This Forum!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

LOL Finky Thanks You!!!

Post  Mark Diedrichs Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:41 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Actually Mark, not trying to be critical or anything. I've only had 2 submissions in the contest over past several years, a field find 1960's Babe Bee restored to running condition and a 1970's Pee Wee in a 30" Goldberg Ranger 30 FF. People enjoyed them, got a few votes but certainly not winners.

Lately I've been involved with volunteer work with the Salvation Army and as such, don't post as much as I used to. But I still enjoy the small stuff, because I was very avidly involved in it since 1965, starting with an 18" Scientific Musciano stand way off scale Grumman F6F Hellcat built up kit powered by .020 Pee Wee as a 12YO birthday gift from my parents and a Cox .049 Supermarine Spitfire RTF as a 11YO Christmas present.

Single channel Ace pulse proportional during late 1970's helped me to keep my sanity flying on the windward side of the Pali (on Oahu opposite Honolulu on the way to Kaneohe, got my engineering degree from Pineapple U) with several planes during college and life as a young working man.

It's all about fun, and reality is one can fly RC reasonably cheap if they can overcome the my model is bigger than your model syndrome. Not saying that is what this discussion is about, but looking at the larger stuff that I bought but don't use, things got more complicated than necessary.

Life doesn't have to be complex to have fun. Kim and others around here have shown that to be true.
Anyway, may be Jason needs to create a new sign emoticon with the words, "SOAP BOX"? I Love This Forum!
Amen Bro, just trying to relive the past and have fun doing it!!! All good things to you and all!!! Peace, Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RNajarian Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:54 pm

happydad wrote:
oh!   You may be in for a big surprise, or not. I thought you had the item already. I was just going back over the pictures and noticed the “borrowed from ....”, note. Well, have fun when you get the item and I hope you didn’t pay too much for your COX made ELECTRIC plane.

Happydad RC Plane United States     Old Bugger Old Bugger (getting older by the minute)

I don’t think I paid too much, $40 delivered each for both The Spitfire and Corsair. I think the Spitfire will be a good starter for the kid. I’m having fun myself designing the electronics upgrade for both planes
RNajarian
RNajarian
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  happydad Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 pm

RNajarian wrote:
happydad wrote:

I don’t think I paid too much, $40 delivered each for both The Spitfire and Corsair.  I think the Spitfire will be a good starter for the kid. I’m having fun myself designing the electronics upgrade for both planes

If you need any parts for the Corsair or advice, let me know. Have several tiny servos under 3.7grams  and advise on LiPo’s that would be great, 2S (7,4volt), 350mAh, RX in the 2gram area. Look at orangeRX R410X, or lemonRx or AR4100 copies. Sometimes really cheap. The only sticky pointy is the ESC for the motor. I bought a bunch way back and used the last one on the Spitfire, but I will look up the number.

Happydad   RC Plane       United States    Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RNajarian Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:56 pm

I appreciate the help Happydad. . .

Here is the link to a pretty good discussion on Cox Electro Chargers (bought off eBay.) There is some pretty good info there.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5421-cox-electric-control-line-aeroplanes
RNajarian
RNajarian
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next