Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

doubts about the quality of the engines manufactured by estes Cox_ba12

doubts about the quality of the engines manufactured by estes Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 11:36 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 10:48 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

doubts about the quality of the engines manufactured by estes Empty
Live on Patrol

doubts about the quality of the engines manufactured by estes

Go down

doubts about the quality of the engines manufactured by estes Empty doubts about the quality of the engines manufactured by estes

Post  nico010 Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:55 am

Hello friends.
after my bad experiences with the shure start manufactured by estes another question comes to mind.
I have two TeeDee .09 made by estes (which come in a clear plastic blister). my question is if the quality of these engines that are supposed to be of high competition is also doubtful like that of the shure start.
If anyone has had bad experiences with these tee dee engines I would like them to transmit them, so I already know what I can find if I use them.
thanks in advance.
regards
 nico
doubts about the quality of the engines manufactured by estes 20200610
nico010
nico010
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

doubts about the quality of the engines manufactured by estes Empty Re: doubts about the quality of the engines manufactured by estes

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:15 pm

I have a couple NIP. Bought them as curiosities with no intent to run them. Now you have peaked my interest. Might give one a try. If I do, I will let you know. But, I would think they would be comparable as they were made from parts on hand or manufactured on existing machines. Perhaps the machines were worn resulting in looser tolerances. Should be some information regarding this.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

doubts about the quality of the engines manufactured by estes Empty Re: doubts about the quality of the engines manufactured by estes

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:50 pm

There is tons of info. Just do a search for “Estes”

Like Bob said, it’s really just a run it and see kind of thing. As mentioned the parts were largely leftovers and used to assemble engines. So you may get a good one.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:31 am

I have an Estes era Tee Dee .09 just like yours. Still in the package, never run. I bought it new from the hobby shop up the street.

As said, it's possible they are assembled with older parts.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:13 am

Before Estes I think they were quite strikt on the selection of parts, as the machining was not accurate alone but hey also had to match pistons and cylinders (by hand using air) in order to get the desired fit. This was likely not done during the Estes era and it is more of a hit and miss on the fit you happen get in a particular engine.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 am

The engine should still run and perform well. While these have tolerances that were loosened from the heyday of Cox (1960's) where everything was hand-fitted, they were still manufactured in smaller runs (2000-5000) in the '97-'98 range.

The Sure Starts were a different animal since they made so many of them and literally assembled all of the parts they had on hand without consistent checks on quality control. A lot of the questionable ones were parts on hand from late '99 for the Star Wars project that failed miserably.

Matt
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:32 am

Almost all my reedies dating back to the 60s and 70s have a mildly tight piston and cylinder fit, assuring lasting and excellent  compression even when hot, through many many hours of dependable use.
My NIB, paper boxed COX engines like BW and Texaco dating back to the 80s and 90s are already way sloppier with the piston falling out of the cylinder. This lose fit ensures an easy and good run but not that longevity what older production engines promise. Maybe the later made TeeDees from the 80s and 90s are still well fit but none have tapered bore.like those made till the early 70s.
I still love them all but must accept that cost saving efforts diluted the genuine quality of the engines from heydays.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down