Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Museum Quality" Cox_ba12

"Museum Quality" Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 11:21 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by roddie Yesterday at 9:36 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Mon May 06, 2024 3:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Museum Quality" Empty
Live on Patrol

"Museum Quality"

Go down

"Museum Quality" Empty "Museum Quality"

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:57 am

For the "real" collectors.  Will someone remind me how rare these are again please. lol!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUR-1962-THUNDERHEAD-AC-GILBERT-11-07-GLOW-ENGINES-MUSEUM-QUALITY-NIB-/121576860939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4e8bad0b
I love 'em, but not that much.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

"Museum Quality" Empty Re: "Museum Quality"

Post  roddie Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 am

Oldenginerod wrote:For the "real" collectors.  Will someone remind me how rare these are again please. lol!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUR-1962-THUNDERHEAD-AC-GILBERT-11-07-GLOW-ENGINES-MUSEUM-QUALITY-NIB-/121576860939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4e8bad0b
I love 'em, but not that much.

If they'd ship to you.. it would obviously be expensive.. but what are the chances you'd find all four engine models, together with their boxes, tanks and spare glow-heads again? I don't think $42.50/engine is too bad.. under the circumstances.

The .07 w/recoil starter looks like it may have been run.. and both .07's are displayed with their box-lids reversed. I don't see any props or wrenches there though. No bids yet.. What would you pay for them Rod?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:08 pm

I think you are right Roddie , looks like the 7 has been run or at least fueled // That price is not out of line if that is what you want Look http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gilbert-11-Model-Airplane-Engine-Lot-of-TWO-/111607621855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fc5528df look again http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Gilbert-American-Flyer-074-Thunderhead-Model-Airplane-Engine-/321661506478?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae48513ae /// Do the Mufflers not come with them NEW ??
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  jsesere Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:36 pm

They don't look new or museum quality. There appears to be rust and fuel residue on the engines. The ACG museum is here in Salem and these don't look as clean as the ones on display.
Beers, Joe
jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:08 am

The trouble is there's no way to authenticate them really.  Also, there were about 3 -4 model variations in the .07s, so it's not a complete & comprehensive collection.  They are not actually called "Gilbert" on the boxes, so I think this was a Polks initiative.  The original Gilberts came on a hanging card like this. (only the right way up, sorry)
"Museum Quality" Gilber10
Now if these were original in original Gilbert packaging with the sealed bubble, I'd be a lot more interested.

To answer your question Roddie, when Steve Brown had full stock a couple of years ago, you could buy one new with the hanging card, prop, mufflers, wrench, tank, spare glow head and dacron flying line for $25.  I got about 4-5 that way.  Granted, stock is dwindling.
Sure, if you wanted every variation, including the Polks ones, then these would fit in a collection, but a museum?

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:12 am

getback wrote:I think you are right Roddie , looks like the 7 has been run or at least fueled // That price is not out of line if that is what you want Look    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gilbert-11-Model-Airplane-Engine-Lot-of-TWO-/111607621855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fc5528df  look again  http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Gilbert-American-Flyer-074-Thunderhead-Model-Airplane-Engine-/321661506478?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae48513ae /// Do the Mufflers not come with them NEW ??
For a start, being used diminishes they collector value. They have modern MA props and both are fitted with RH mufflers on both sides.  I'd say about $20 each would be reasonable.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:37 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
getback wrote:I think you are right Roddie , looks like the 7 has been run or at least fueled // That price is not out of line if that is what you want Look    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gilbert-11-Model-Airplane-Engine-Lot-of-TWO-/111607621855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fc5528df  look again  http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Gilbert-American-Flyer-074-Thunderhead-Model-Airplane-Engine-/321661506478?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae48513ae /// Do the Mufflers not come with them NEW ??
For a start, being used diminishes they collector value. They have modern MA props and both are fitted with RH mufflers on both sides.  I'd say about $20 each would be reasonable.

Rod.

I would say you are right. I haven't noticed that these are particularly collectable engines. Granted they are unique, and nice to have. I would not pay more than $20 per engine myself. I have three of these engines purchased new. I got them in a group for about $43 if I remember correctly. Anyway, even in new condition they are rough. If you want one or even two I would wait and watch ebay. They come up frequently. Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:00 am

I have the 11 with out the mufflers , still have not got it to run right maybe take it apart again to day "Museum Quality" Gilber10 I have fixed the needle clicker since these pic. Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:07 am

Eric.
When you do try the Gilbert again make sure you keep the tank low. They like to draw the fuel up from below. Also, make sure you have good juice to the glow head and the gasket is sealing properly as well.

Referring back to the link you posted for the 2 Gilbert 11s on Ebay for $99 Affraid or WOW! , I just noticed that they both have the mounting lugs drilled with extra holes. While it might be practical, it's certainly eliminated any chance of them being "collectible".

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

"Museum Quality" Empty Gilbert Eng.

Post  eddieki Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:45 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Eric.
When you do try the Gilbert again make sure you keep the tank low.  They like to draw the fuel up from below.  Also, make sure you have good juice to the glow head and the gasket is sealing properly as well.

Referring back to the link you posted for the 2 Gilbert 11s on Ebay for $99  Affraid or WOW! , I just noticed that they both have the mounting lugs drilled with extra holes.  While it might be practical, it's certainly eliminated any chance of them being "collectible".

Rod.

A while back "way back" they were selling at Telodo fer $4.95
ED
eddieki
eddieki

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:53 pm

new Gilberts, need cleaning at Penn Valley Hobbies at Lebanon Swap Meet
"Museum Quality" Img_0010
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Bill I saw you there yesterday, unfortunately I had to run out to my car and get something for a friend. When I returned you were no longer there. I will say you were highly recognizeable with the CEF T-shirt. Those Gilbert's certainly needed some TLC. Some of them had a bit of corrosion. I remember when they were in a wooden barrel some years ago. I was admiring your GHQ on the table. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm sorry I missed you Ken.  My buddy and I took turns manning the table.  I tried to get back as often as I could.  I had my Thermal Hopper 2 speed setup there.  I saw Dan, told him my GHQ was a GHQ stunt, he laughed.  I got that one down there last year.  It is a 1936 model with the cast piston, steel drive washer, and fabricated steel crank.  The rod is cast more precisely than the newer ones with a sturdy rib on one side.  The prop is an original GHQ accessory.

I was at another swap meet today and picked up Les Nehring's Viking.  It has one of Les's Fox 59's installed.  I may be flying it at Brodak's this summer.  I tried to add pictures, but the uploader isn't working
"Museum Quality" Nehrin10
"Museum Quality" Photo_10
"Museum Quality" Photo_11
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down