Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. Cox_ba12

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. Empty
Live on Patrol

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field.

Go down

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. Empty God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field.

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:13 am

This property covers about six acres, about two of which was cleared when I moved in.  Puny by West Virginia standards typically 60-120 acres,  forget about Texas where in rural areas 60 acres constitutes a driveway.  

Slowly over the last ten years I have cleared most of it leaving about an acre wild God's little acre (a book and a movie) I called it, nothing divine and no hopes of finding gold never-the-less I had left it untouched.  Until last week when I thought if I carved about 15 yards out of the wild I could expand my flying field to accommodate 45' lines instead of the 35' that I was restricted to.  So, with chain saw and loppers in hand God's little acre was reduced to half that:

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010492
God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010490
God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010491

Burn pile, first snow, up in smoke.

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010493

Feeling pretty good after a days work I thought I would take the ATV to check out what the electric company had been doing in the woods behind my house.

On the way back I took a short cut through the tall grass and brambles.  Going along at a pretty good clip I dumped the ATV and me into a well camouflaged perk pit losing some skin on my elbow and pinning my left leg between the ATV and the side of the hole.  I was able to push against the handlebars enough to pull my leg out and crawl out of the hole using the ATV as a bridge.  Thankfully the weather had turned cool and I was wearing sweats not my usual shorts and tee shirt.  

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010494
God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010495

Walked home got the mower and cleared an area around it and thinking what do I do now.  Just then I saw my neighbor on his four wheel drive Mule and flagged him down.  Between us we pulled it out and I drove it home.  

A little sore this morning, elbow and left leg bruised with sticker pock marks covering most of it, but all in all not bad as I turn 83 next week and feel like I dodged a bullet.  

Stay safe out there.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. Empty Re: God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field.

Post  getback Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:49 am

YOU; Stay safe out there!!  Going to start calling u WILD BOB Very Happy I can see you getting a little wild on that ATV , man those things will hurt you ! Glad ur OK and getting some new land from God to use for hopefully some low and slow turns . I think i am going to make some 35-38' lines to start using for 1/2 A .. Got to work on my field (it has shrunk) Sad God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. Img_2127
Last time it was flyable
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. Empty Re: God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field.

Post  Marleysky Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:00 am

HOLYCOW BOB!  Bee Careful Out there!

Glad you hear you weren’t seriously injured. Any landing or accident you can walk away from is a good one. You continue to inspire me with your lumberjack and landscaping capabilities. What you do in a day would be a weeks worth of effort on my part! I rode around my backyard with a battery* powered reciprocating saw cutting down any low hanging limbs or branches that I could reach just standing**up on the 4x4. Ended up with a trailer full of trimmings about half the size you pictured. Now I can cut the lawn with out being smacked in the face by them pesky tree limbs. Always think my trees are descendants of those in the Wizzard of Oz!

* battery power, because I cannot get either of my chainsaws to pull start!
**Standing up, cause I don’t trust my knees to support me on a ladder!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:39 pm

"Got to work on my field (it has shrunk)" - Me too, oh to be 21 again.  Nature and time has a way of doing that.  Looks like you were putting your son to work on that field.

And Rene, I'm tired of getting smacked too by low laying branches.   Pine cones dragged across bare skin is no fun either.  I have been cutting them back too standing on the seat with a running chain saw in one hand holding onto the branch with the other.  Dumb with a capital D.  Only did that once.  

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:21 pm

Besides the nice picture of teh yard, and the burn pile that I wish I could come see go up.... Please take care of yoursele first and foremost! Be careful, yeah, I know, but I've been there too with quad accident. So I can say it! But in the end, I am glad you are / will be ok with only a couple of scrapes and bruises.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:17 pm

Quads are the biggest cause of death & serious injury on Aussie farms. I don't need to tell you Bob, but once something bad happpens it might be too late to say "I'm not doing that again". Take it easy. Heck, I'm not 58 yet and I can't do half of what you do in your yard. 20 minutes on the chainsaw & I'm about done. Well, by aching back is done, plus since my elbow surgery I'm a little restricted with the saw. strange thing is I can still swing the block splitter all day, but the saw kills me.

I bought my wife her own chainsaw for her birthday. I know what you're thinking, but she loves it. DeWalt brushless with 10" bar. It's a great little machine and because Janet does the mowing as well, she knows where all the overhanging branches are which need attention. The DeWalt makes short work of them.

Regardless of trees in my yard, the best I can do is 35' lines to keep between the fences. One overhanging tree outside my boundary, regular burn pile next to some big stumps opposite that, so I'm a bit restricted.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:19 am

BOB!!!!!!!! Glad you're OK!

Great photos! Looks like you have a really cool place there!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:16 am

The real story was Bob was trying to get airborne with the quad! He played it off like he was “working”

Glad you are ok and also happy that you have a bigger flying field.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts guys.  

Bruised but not beaten I hit it again this morning.  Cool, damp and misty. Easy day, just had to remove the clump of trees left of center.

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010496

Curious trees.  They can reach 25/30 feet tall and be 2" at the base.  They curl through the pines looking for sunshine and eventually kill the host tree.  Most are so intertwined that I have to strap them up and pull them down.
God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010497

Cleared.  This is the 15 yards that I had been looking for, everything else lead up to this.  Cut the corner off the wild giving me much more flying area.

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010498

Revisited that perk test hole.  About 10 feet long and 5 deep and covered with brambles which I call stickers and for good reason.  Nothing you want to fall into.

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010499

I have cultivated a couple, they can be attractive in the fall, but oh those stickers.

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010503

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010500

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010501
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:15 pm

I think a small tractor would really be of benefit to you Bob. Way more torque than that quad. Although I am sure the quad is no slouch.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:40 pm

Bob first of all and after reading everything that happened, I am very happy to know that you are in good health.
I admire your strength and I congratulate you on your spirit, without hesitation, there are no limits when you feel like doing what needs to be done!
Beautiful green space, ideal to start engines and while they scream, enjoy a beer, of course, after the job is finished!
Take care friend, a big hug for you!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:36 am

Cribbs74 wrote:I think a small tractor would really be of benefit to you Bob. Way more torque than that quad. Although I am sure the quad is no slouch.

You read my mind Ron,

Was at the John Deere dealer a couple of weeks ago looking at them. Only thing holding me back is I would have to sell my MG to free-up garage space to house it and I don't want to do that. I have had a MG for most of the last 30 years and they are like another arm or leg. But, a four wheel drive tractor with a bucket would be a big help around here.

God's little half acre, or how I expanded my flying field. P1010504

Thanks for the kind words Maurico. I envy the field and wide open spaces where you do your flying magic.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:42 am

Bob, thank you for valuing my flights, and valuing the place we have here.
We are certainly lucky in this space to be able to develop the activity. We are within the local aero club, so there is always some issue of conflict, but until now we can carry the activity with total normality, hopefully it will be for many years.
You and all the members of CEF are invited to participate whenever you like or when fate allows it, I hope and it is a real wish, one day to meet many of you personally, sincerely!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down