Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by akjgardner Today at 5:37 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:45 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:34 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:24 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Today at 11:48 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Empty Re: Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying

Post  Kim Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:21 am

First of all...what a cool fuse jig Roddie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The thing is a display of craftsmanship in itself!

Seems like every one of my projects has had some sort of mistake that aggravates the daylights out of me, and Tom Tom's "mistake" is in it's tank placement.  The space in it's tank compartment is set by how the forward doublers are cut to suit the type of engine intended.  Staying up too late, I wanted to get the project going and measured the doubler for a horseshoe backplate engine/wedge tank, without considering the space behind it.  

Tom Tom's landing gear bulkhead is set at an angle which kept me from dropping the 3/8oz tank down low enough to split the difference with the spraybar.  But, I have had engines that didn't seem to mind too much with their tank riding high, so just hoped for the best.  The top-left mounting screw is specifically measured not to punch into the tank, and I may epoxy a spacer ahead of the firewall to move the engine out and put a little more distance in there.

I had considered mounting the backplate horizontally, and may do it on the new Scout, but it will take a bit of gouging of the doublers to get it to fit.

Speaking of wedge tank use in R/C, my beloved Jetco "Navigator" used an on-edge wedge tank, nested in it's engine pylon.  Navigator was a dedicated "Cruiser", so no inverted system was needed. It did do beautiful barnstormer loops and near-perfect hammerheads, along with low, terrain following trips around the pasture. Can't remember the tank's size, but it ran the Medallion .09 for a good, long time.  The wedge tank did "drool" a lot in this position, so I used an interconnecting fuel line between it's filler tubes to seal them up when it was sitting, and plugged one during flight to try and keep raw fuel off the Aerogloss.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 N6_10
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 N7_10
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 N7_510

The captions in Tom Tom's build photos may seem over-detailed and rather basic to guys here, but I also use them in Facebook posts and my blog to help any interested parties learn about this particular form of self-torture! Very Happy

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 1_178
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 2_159
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 10_121
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 3_133
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 90_111
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 91_110
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 92_110
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 93_110
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 94_10

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 96_110

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 95_10
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 97_110
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 105_111
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Empty Re: Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying

Post  Ken Cook Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:41 am

A tank that's high is going to go very lean when inverted. Therefore, the engine would have to be raised if the tank can't be lowered. Whenever I have full fuse planes with a solid top block, I stop and start the block on each firewall to allow just a cap over the tank itself. If need be, I solder a piece of 5/32" tubing directly through the center of the tank. This allows a 4-40 bolt to pass through the top block and tank holding everything in. I just epoxy a nut on the underside of the beams using a piece of ply across. This way if the tank needs to be changed, raised, fixed, etc it can be done without cutting into the model. Another thing I like to do is to cant the aft end of the tank outboard slightly within the fuse. This allows better pickup especially if the plane is flying slightly yawed out and promotes a cleaner engine shutoff at the end of the tank.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:42 pm

Continued Crazyness Out In the Shop:

The Little Tom Tom is pretty much through it's construction phase, just getting clear coats 'till it's masked off for color.

So now, it's sibling "The Scout" is up next for the bench, and getting it's parts punched out and trimmed.

Also, I finally figured out why "J.E. Barr" is listed as the designer for both the Little Tom Tom and this now this version of the Scout (and probably for the rest of the Veco/Dumas line).

I got to meet Joe Wagner back around 2002, and he said that when Dumas started kitting his Scout, some changes were made to it's shape, even though Dumas still used the Scout's original kit photo.  I bought his plan for the original Scout and they differ in wing placement and tail height.  

Figure "J.E.Barr" is the guy who redrew the new die-cut plans.  I somehow thought they'd still give credit to Joe, but guess it really wasn't his plane with the changes that had been made.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 10_122
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 15_32
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 20_121
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 5_131

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 1_179
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:49 pm

Love your music/lyric quoting Kim. You often change it up.. and I look forward to it!

So fortunate are you, to have met Joe Wagner. It's cool VECO intel/history. There's plenty of VECO-love in my family's C/L aeromodelling history.

Several VECO Warriors (.19/.35 2-stroke glow engine full-fuse stunter w/flaps) My Dad's had (has) a VECO .35C. The "C" model engine had it's crankcase tapped for a pressurized fuel-feed. That airplane and engine are hangared here with me.. as is another Warrior that my "Uncle Vin" (Dad's brother in-law) framed-up 30 or 40 years ago..

Dad's Warrior.. (a "VECO" kit)

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 5-8-1414
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 11-4-115

the VECO .35C

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 11-4-116
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 11-4-117

Uncle Vin's Warrior.. (likely a later Dumas kit) also here with me..  sort of ARC.. The cements/glues used are aged. I see what looks like Ambroid throughout the fuse/wing-root area; with most of the remaining wing-framing done in a translucent/white product.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 20201117

This VECO Renegade is here too (my Uncle Vin's.. had a Super-Tiger .35 on it.. back in the 70's when he was in the USAF stationed at Holloman HMN)

Silk and dope finish..

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Veco_r14

cool models that I hope to be able to fly someday..  Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:20 am

Yeah, in a family of musicians, I'm the one who plays the radio, but song lyrics mean a lot...inspiring and sometimes hammering me!  "Hard Truths With a Pretty Tune"!!!!

Wow Roddie!  What great collection of classics!  Dude, you GOT to get some of those going!  With the exception of the Scout and Little Tom, we REALLY neglected this line of great planes back in the day (trying to make up for it now).

I've got a thread on here somewhere about my Warrior---a "Swap Meet Orphan" Billy Lang got from an estate sale and gifted to me.  He called it a "Brave", but it's got stunt flaps and a covered rear cockpit.  It's in primer white and waiting for me to "hear the call" to shoot some color at it.

Shown with a McCoy .35, but it now has a Veco Engine, and Veco wheels.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Img_1211

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 11_40

Maybe we can someday meet and do some flying of these classics!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:18 pm

One major drawback of the Veco/Dumas kits were the lack of ply doublers on the fuse. The beams were not always maple as well. Therefore, they can be subjected to a fair amount of vibration especially if old and aliphatic glues were used to glue the beams to the balsa.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:41 pm

Hey Kim! You're a musician in your own right. You know how to tune an engine. That requires good ears.. Smile Sometimes I see music as an engine. It's definitely a force capable of moving us. PM me some time please.. and tell me about your family of musicians. My youngest Brother ("Jeff") plays the radio. You remind me of him; now that I think of it. I wish I.. was a little more like the two of you.

Your Little Tom Tom is a very cool model. I never knew of it until this thread. Are there any engine-brand/propeller-size recommendations in the kit-instructions?

BTW.. I have a lot of silkspan Kim. I'd be happy to share some with you; knowing full-well that you'd use it.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:39 am

Hey Roddie,
There aren't any "Tune-Up/Performance Tips" engine-wise on the plan sheet, though there are some cool engine installation drawings:

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 24_14
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 26_13
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 28_16
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Are there any propeller specs. recommended?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Empty what propeller?

Post  roddie Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:40 pm

what propeller? PM me Kim.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:54 am

Probably gonna be a 6x3 to keep it from flying like a combat wing...maybe hang a streamer on it too (per Rusty) to slow it down a bit.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:21 am

Here's my Lil Tomahawk Norvel powered with a 5.5x2 pitch prop. Flies awesome even though heavy. I pulled the .35 size Tomahawk out. My dad built the larger Tomahawk in 1965. I stepped on it in the 80's and my dad was pretty mad. I had to rebuild it and this is how it's been since 84. I haven't flown it since it was stepped on. My dad had the plane in silk with stars and it was a real work of art, it was a shame to tear it off and put Monokote on it. This is what I did and I brushed on the black Perfect enamel ( Another bad choice). I used Perfect paints a lot, they had durability for a one stage paint like 2 stage epoxy based paints but they weighed a ton. The shine though and durability sets itself apart from anything I ever used. I wish I knew what I knew now and that this product was still available. Chevron took over the paint line and Brodak still offers NOS but the thinner and clear is impossible to locate. Clear is not needed over the colors but many used it as a fuel proofer for non fuel proof enamels.

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Dscn2933

Showing its age, I built this 37 years ago. I can't say enough good about this plane. Juan F2D Phantom II from the forum inquired about this plane many years ago on Stunt Hangar. I quickly responded with my inputs and he provided me with templates as he built one himself. I believe the model that Galloping Ghostler posted is Juan's model. This is the first plane I ever did over and under hinges using dental floss. They've been installed since "88".

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Dscn2934      Sig light blue and cream Monokote, two colors I use quite a bit. I just like it

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Dscn2934    

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Dscn2934      Monokote trim still holding up well, this baby was covered in dust. I did a pull test seeing I may want to try her again. Unfortunately, I see the spars flexing and the sheeting bulging when I pull the leadouts. Immediate surgery is required as this would result in the bellcrank platform pulling out probably deboning the Tomahawk.

The full size Tomahawk
        Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Dscn2937       This plane flies with almost if not better characteristics as the Flite Streak. I know that's a bold statement but it's true, a very confident flying plane with a lot of maneuverability. This plane to my surprise as it sits right now is weighing 23.79 ounces. I had to check my scale to insure it was working. I was blown away by this weight. The average Ringmaster is in the 28-30 + ounce range when built from Sterling kits. I will be cutting into this plane to replace the platform and control system. This thread has been inspiring. I love it

The pilots view
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Dscn2938

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Dscn2939        Built in the days of rudder offset practice, I will be removing that. Hard to see but it's probably swept 3/8". Engine choice might be a FP.20 with a tongue muffler.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:26 pm

65° and the paint is flying.

With these temps, it was an ideal chance to throw some color.  Tom Tom's paint was still somewhere on the road, so I turned to a back-burner project, a design that's almost as old:  Walt Musciano's Scientific Model Company "Zipper", another 1/2A control liner.

As usual, this is another flash-back model, having built one back in '69, and literally flying the wings off the thing.

This new one was painted white, but this was also to be it's base color coat, and was waiting for me to try to copy it's red white and blue box art.

After spending a bunch of time masking it off with tape and paper, it got it's red trim.  Everything turned out well by my standards, with very little color creeping under the masking.  It will now get it's blue trim, a canopy, and final assembly before it makes some racket.

I intended to take a break and maybe even wrap things up when I discovered that my stealthy Fed Ex guy had dropped off my Brodak order while I was painting Zipper.

So...the air compressor was cranked up again, and my Badger paint gun was loaded up with what looked like egg nog.  This too turned out nicely, with just the standard blemishes to keep me humble.

Now I got two planes curing up in the shop...which DEFINITELY smells like "Model Airplane".

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 0_30
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Zipper10
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Zipper11
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Zipper12

Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Dsc_0111
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 Zipper13
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 0_130
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 0_0510
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 T_0210
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 T_0510
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 T_0910
Veco/Dumas "The Little Tom Tom"...65° and the Dope is Flying - Page 2 T_1510
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:47 pm

Good stuff Kim. Love the Zipper look-alike and your nose mounted paint stick. Copied it a couple of years ago. Makes painting easy.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:34 pm

While the temp is a bit low, it's the best time to dope. There's very little humidity this time of the year. Brodak generally isn't tolerant of spraying in humid conditions. Sig I believe you can spray when it's raining ( kidding of course) . That's the difference between the two, Brodak's thinner is hotter and it dries fast trapping moisture whereas Sig is very slow which is terrific if your brushing.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:49 pm

Thanks Guys! So Far...So Good...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:36 am

Creamy Man , give it that ole timer flavor ... I like it and the price is right !! Very Happy Strips came out good Kim Cool
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2