Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Super Satan build Cox_ba12

Super Satan build Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 7:04 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 6:59 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 6:55 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 5:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Super Satan build Empty
Live on Patrol

Super Satan build

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Super Satan build Empty Super Satan build

Post  oldguy Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Well Cribbs thought i should post some kind of build log, so i will try and respond, not that good at these types of things, but will try.  Well the SS is quite abit along already in it's build, but will try and update more as i go.  I started by buying a short kit from Lazor works for $23, which i thought was pretty cheap way to go.   I copied a small plan of the SS on line and took it to staples and had them blow it up.  It cam out close but a little over sized.Here are some pictures of how the build is so far.  Color scheme is not all figured out yet but wing will be yellow with some graphics, engine will be a OS Max FP .20.Super Satan build 20201110
Super Satan build 20201111
Super Satan build 20201112Super Satan build 20201114
Super Satan build 20201113Super Satan build 20201116
Super Satan build 20201115
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Super Satan build Empty Re: Super Satan build

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:13 pm

Nice! That’s what I like to see. Very nice work, too bad I caught you late on the build would have like to seen it as it progressed. No matter though I can catch you finishing it. I really appreciate you taking the time to snap and post a couple pictures.

I have a full scale set of plans signed by Larry Scarinzi, if you need any measurements let me know.

Speaking of plans, was the LE sheeting something you came up with or was it on your plans. Don’t remember seeing that on mine.

Ron

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:23 pm

Ron, the Super Satan has a full sheeting in the leading edge. Here's Larry holding the original Super Satan and my son helping with some of the others like the Blitz, the Killer with a Johnson combat special, Werewolf. https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelaircraft/24025093143/in/album-72157663438751620/
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:25 pm

I guess I missed that detail, thanks Ken! Maybe I should look at the plans you sent again...

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Why does everyone omit the gussets from the trailing edge to the tail booms?
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:49 pm

OhBee wrote:Why does everyone omit the gussets from the trailing edge to the tail  booms?

I'm going to install the gussets. But i guess i didn't answer the question. My guess would be they feel they are not needed. I like the look of them myself.

Last edited by oldguy on Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:35 pm

What exactly IS a "short " kit? I see this term a lot....short parts?
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Short kit refers to purchasing just the main components. On a full fuse stunter for instance, you would receive the ribs, ply doublers,engine crutch, fuse formers. YOU provide all the other sheeting, spars, flap material etc. Depending on the model you may receive more or possibly less. Laser Works for instance provides many many different kits for all aspects of the hobby control line, r/c.

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             Short kit refers to purchasing just the main components. On a full fuse stunter for instance, you would receive the ribs, ply doublers,engine crutch,  fuse formers. YOU provide all the other sheeting, spars, flap material etc. Depending on the model you may receive more or possibly less. Laser Works for instance provides many many different kits for all aspects of the hobby control line, r/c.

Ken this short get, here's what you don't get.
Hardware pack.
Leading edge
Trailing edge.
wing sheeting.
engine mount hardwood.

You do get any part that has to be cut to shape,
Ribs, elevator, tail booms, wing tips, ect. All tank area pieces, boom gussets.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:22 pm

OhBee wrote:What exactly IS a "short " kit?  I see this term a lot....short parts?

ohBee check this site out.
http://lazer-works.com/misc.html
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:28 pm

Most of my vintage combat planes are quite fast. My bushed engines are all good for 100 mph and the ball bearing engines are generally 115 mph and up. I use many of the 70's Tigers and Fox Combat specials in my 60's vintage models. They're quite a bit heavier than the period correct engines therefore I extend the booms. I never use boom gussets.  This past Sept. we had Vintage Combat in New Jersey. Larry Scarinzi came out for a visit which he typically does. and of course the picture won't allow everyone else to view   From left to right, my friend Al Feraro with his Super Satan. I noted that his Super Satan is the only one here with boom gussets. Larry Scarinzi next with the original Super Satan without gussets. Mike Luciano and to the right of him is his son Tom with two recent Super Satan builds both without gussets. Larry assisted Tom in building both Super Satan models making a change in the leading edge by backing it up with a spruce spar.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:06 am

Well a few more pictures, got a little more done on the front end need to do some filler work and more sanding, got the elevator rod bent, and installed the gussets. still waiting on a tank from RMS, need to get it settle in and situated.
Super Satan build 20201211
Super Satan build 20201212
Super Satan build 20201210
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:14 am

Great work!

That spinner would be a pain if you were using a 36X or some fire breathing equivalent. You will probably get away with it using the FP-20. Can’t wait to see the finish. Are you going with Dope or monokote?

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:59 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Great work!

That spinner would be a pain if you were using a 36X or some fire breathing equivalent. You will probably get away with it using the FP-20. Can’t wait to see the finish. Are you going with Dope or monokote?

Ron

Going with monokote, yellow, not totally sure I will use the spinner or not, i have never had to much luck with them.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:04 am

I think the spinner really sets it off,! Means business! Have one on my Wido Satan!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:36 am

Looking Good , What size tank did U go with? Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:02 am

getback wrote:Looking Good , What size tank did U go with? Very Happy

It will be a 3 oz uniflow.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:24 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Great work!

Ron

Ron wanted to ask why you mentioned the spinner would be a pain, curious?
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:57 pm

The high strung combat engines like to backfire when flipping the prop. This more often than not causes the prop nut to loosen. The spinner then has to be removed to tighten the nut.

Ken Cook told me about this years ago and he was right on. If I do use a spinner I accept the fact it will probably happen. You could use a one piece spinner nut. The FP is pretty tame so it may be a non-issue, but something to be wary of.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:42 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:The high strung combat engines like to backfire when flipping the prop. This more often than not causes the prop nut to loosen. The spinner then has to be removed to tighten the nut.

Ken Cook told me about this years ago and he was right on. If I do use a spinner I accept the fact it will probably happen. You could use a one piece spinner nut. The FP is pretty tame so it may be a non-issue, but something to be wary of.

Got it, thanks for that.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:17 pm

Ok got a little more done, was waiting on a tank so i could fit it in. It's 3 oz. uniflow will run the fill/vent out and over to the other side of the engine, to get it out in the airstream. I have the bottom buttoned up.  Next i need to thin out some epoxy and paint all of the well area that the tank will sit in, once that's done will set the tank in permanently with some 100% silicone, it fits pretty snug in the well already just enough silicone to keep it from vibrating, and then cover the top up like the bottom is. Still more sanding and shaping to do. Any comments or thoughts please fill free to do so.
Super Satan build 20201218
Super Satan build 20201219
Super Satan build 20201217
Super Satan build 20201221
Super Satan build 20201220Super Satan build 20201222
Super Satan build 20201223
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:34 pm

Now seeing your FP, keep in mind you have a iron piston version. Nothing wrong with that but they do prefer a touch more oil over the ABN version. I have a iron piston on a Flite Streak which is fairly heavy and it does quite well. Just in the event your not aware. the inboard pipe on the tank is the uni pipe. You always fill your tank through this pipe otherwise you will short tank your flight. In addition, especially a all tubes forward tank like you have is to get the uni pipe into clean air. Now as your tank sits, your cylinder head is blocking it offering a turbulent air flow into it which can cause crappy runs. One solution I do all the time is to cut a piece of fuel tubing about 1 1/2" and push it onto the uni pipe and just let it lay on the cylinder head. Another option is to place a piece of copper onto your engine nacelle directly on top and leave it pointed straight into the airflow and attach using a piece of fuel tubing .
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             Now seeing your FP, keep in mind you have a iron piston version. Nothing wrong with that but they do prefer a touch more oil over the ABN version. I have a iron piston on a Flite Streak which is fairly heavy and it does quite well. Just in the event your not aware. the inboard pipe on the tank is the uni pipe. You always fill your tank through this pipe otherwise you will short tank your flight. In addition, especially a all tubes forward tank like you have is to get the uni pipe into clean air. Now as your tank sits, your cylinder head is blocking it offering a turbulent air flow into it which can cause crappy runs. One solution I do all the time is to cut a piece of fuel  tubing about 1 1/2" and push it onto the uni pipe and just let it lay on the cylinder head. Another option is to place a piece of copper onto your engine nacelle directly on top and leave it pointed straight into the airflow and attach using a piece of fuel tubing .

Thanks Ken for the info on the iron piston FP, i have used uniflows before and was going to run the uni pipe over to the other side of the nacelle, but yes i can just set it up on top of the nacelle, less work.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:23 pm

Hopefully everything works out. If the tank or engine is vibrating, this can cause erratic runs. You have the option to run standard vent if necessary by leaving your overflow open and capping the uni. It's a nice option to try if the run isn't working out. Another thing that can also be problematic is the uni pipe might need to be necked down. I have done this by inserting a small 1" piece of 3/32" tubing inside of the 1/8'. I also keep Brodak yellow caps and I place them on the uni pipe and just provide a tiny hole in it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:07 pm

Ken Cook wrote:              Hopefully everything works out. If the tank or engine is vibrating, this can cause erratic runs. You have the option to run standard vent if necessary by leaving your overflow open and capping the uni. It's a nice option to try if the run isn't working out. Another thing that can also be problematic is the uni pipe might need to be necked down. I have done this by inserting a small 1" piece of 3/32" tubing inside of the 1/8'. I also keep Brodak yellow caps and I place them on the uni pipe and just provide a tiny hole in it.

Thanks for that, i don't expect to have any vibration, will see how the run goes.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next