Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

O.S. Max 20 reconditioned Cox_ba12

O.S. Max 20 reconditioned Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» audio-tach anyone?
by balogh Today at 7:04 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

O.S. Max 20 reconditioned Empty
Live on Patrol

O.S. Max 20 reconditioned

Go down

O.S. Max 20 reconditioned Empty O.S. Max 20 reconditioned

Post  sosam117 Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Got this O.S. Max 20 along with an Enya 09-II (that I'm working on -- reconditioning) and the Enya 45 that I reconditioned.
Sorry that I didn't take before photos of the engines.

The Enya 45, the Enya 09, and O.S. Max 20 was in a box I purchased off of *bay as "junk"

It was a little tough getting the parts I needed to recondition the O.S. Max 20, but I did get what I needed.
After a completed tear down and cleaning (engine was stuck and nothing moved - even the carb.)
Reassembled the engine with the cleaned parts and "new" parts and it's as good as new!

O.S. Max 20 reconditioned Os_max10
O.S. Max 20 reconditioned Os_max12
O.S. Max 20 reconditioned Os_max11
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

O.S. Max 20 reconditioned Empty Re: O.S. Max 20 reconditioned

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:40 pm

Really good work, sosam117, looks like new. You really turned it around. Thumbs Up

Seems to be some inflation on the engines on E-Bay, when I last looked, prices are up, but occasionally see some disguised blessings.

I don't have anything in that size from OS, but have the Max .15R/C that I bought NOS may be 6 or 7 years ago, and an NOS Enya .19-V venturi C/L version, both with mufflers. With some gentle tapping straightened a low time Enya .19-VI TV that had a bent prop shaft.

Anyway, good save. Beer Cheers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:58 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Really good work, sosam117, looks like new. You really turned it around. Thumbs Up

Seems to be some inflation on the engines on E-Bay, when I last looked, prices are up, but occasionally see some disguised blessings.

I don't have anything in that size from OS, but have the Max .15R/C that I bought NOS may be 6 or 7 years ago, and an NOS Enya .19-V venturi C/L version, both with mufflers. With some gentle tapping straightened a low time Enya .19-VI TV that had a bent prop shaft.

Anyway, good save. Beer Cheers

Funny thing.
I had an OS Max 10 I sold on R/C Group (Jan. 2020), just because getting parts for it was getting tough.
I may use it to swap for an Enya engine?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:45 am

I purchsed a Max .15 a while back. It was cheap enough and was a local engine, so postage cost was low. It was described as a good low-use engine with good compression. I was suspicious due to the pictures (ebay) which showed no glow plug, 2-3 head screws missing and the backplate was installed in reverse. But it did still have its NVA and muffler. Hard to believe that they knew what compression actually was. I ordered a set of original OS socket head screws, but I discovered that when I pulled the head down tight I had a really tight spot as the engine was turned over. After close examination and lapping the piston to the sleeve, it still had the tight spot. Then, I noticed that as the piston moved up & down it rotated slightly. I dismantled it completely and found that the rod had a slight "woof" in it, which easily straightened. Still the same problem. I then noticed that the crank pin was bent at the web. Examination showed that it was actually cracked, so the crank was only fit for the bin. After quite a bit of searching and patience I found a replacement crank from a Polish seller. Price was reasonable enough to go ahead, although my bargain engine had now become far more "normal". (I rarely pay "normal" price for an engine)

So, the upshot is, once the crank was installed I could confirm that the problem had gone away and the engine had good "genuine" compression. It takes a little starting, but it runs really well. I'd still prefer my Enya .15 over it any day, although I still believe it's a far better quality engine than many other popular brands out there. I do think the Japanese have better quality control than anywhere else in the world.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:42 am

Engine looks good , wish you had the before pics. that just makes it even better . I have i think 3 of the 20FP, Ken kept talking about how good they are and i couldn't remember if i had purchased one and they just kept coming up SOoo No cleaning on any of them needed . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:14 am

You've done a great job, Looks like new. I have a OS Max 19. Allmost as big. It's one of te steel cylinder series from the beginning of the 60's. The crankshaft thread is #12-32 and I can't find a coupling for it. I contacted Dumas by mail but their couplings for similar size engines have different threads nowadays. What crankshaft thread has yours?

O.S. Max 20 reconditioned Imgp3410

Here is a video. I think they start very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=279yfgzv9a4

OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:53 am

OVERLORD wrote:You've done a great job, Looks like new. I have a OS Max 19. Almost as big. It's one of the steel cylinder series from the beginning of the 60's. The crankshaft thread is #12-32 and I can't find a coupling for it. I contacted Dumas by mail but their couplings for similar size engines have different threads nowadays. What crankshaft thread has yours?

O.S. Max 20 reconditioned Imgp3410

Here is a video. I think they start very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=279yfgzv9a4

I check my crankshaft threads on my OS Max 20 and it is #12-24
This engine I think was made in the 1970's?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down