Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel? Cox_ba12

Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 11:45 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by Ken Cook Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:54 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by getback Today at 7:00 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 6:52 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 1:48 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Yesterday at 7:39 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Fri May 10, 2024 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Fri May 10, 2024 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Fri May 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel? Empty
Live on Patrol

Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel?

Go down

Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel? Empty Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel?

Post  Lukemiester Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:48 pm

Weird question, but what if one took some aluminum tubing and wrapped it around the upper part of a cylinder like you would for a boat setup, but instead of running water through it, have fuel flow through it before going into the engine...

My questions are:
Would it be very effective? Would water be a better heat wick than glow fuel?
What happens to the fuel when it gets hot? Would the engine run strange on hot fuel?
Would it catch on fire????

The reason I’m asking is a couple days ago I got this idea out of the blue when I was running my jerobee, which doesn’t have cooling problems at the moment because I’m driving it without the body, however it does get kinda hot. With the body on, it will probably get hotter- I figured this would be a pretty neat alternative to a heatsink if the fuel doesn’t catch on fire or something lol
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel? Empty Re: Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel?

Post  KariFS Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:42 am

Interesting idea. I think the fuel draw to the engine might be too small to allow a sufficient flow for cooling function (might actually boil the fuel). Also the fuel temperature change will change its density, with hotter fuel the mixture gets leaner. These are just guesses, you,ll never know until you try.

Some big diesels (like the ones used in tractors) use extra fuel flow to cool down parts of the cylinder head and fuel system, but that is achieved with a large capacity pump that circulates a vast amount of fuel from the tank to the system and then back to tank again. The fuel system takes the fuel to the engine from that flow. Back in my test engineer days I measured the fuel temp rise as the part of approval tests of many installations.

Idea: Water jacket could be used in a car with water too, if you can find a small enough radiator. Maybe just a small water tank made of brass, with a computer processor heat sink mounted on the side? No need for water pump if you build the system so that the entire radiator is above the cylinder water jacket, with the hoses going up all the way. The concept is known as thermosiphon, used in many stationary engines and some cars even, back in the day.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel? Empty Re: Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel?

Post  davidll1984 Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:12 am

Y have m'y self tink of use fuel for cooling it work som how use ice cold fuel inside the engine tank if run external fuel tank like u did seal the engine tank use ice wit water fil the old fuel tank wit ice cold water after couple minute just fil som more change hot water wil help cool fuel To help tink if its posible To place tube correct without obstruction of the rc ring it posible to work except fuel draw je very slow and if start boil engine wil just stop air do Good job y have build one litle fans made of dollar store parts using that look Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel? 16140610
Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel? 16140611
Viability of a liquid cooled cylinder via fuel? 16140612
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down