Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Osan Air Base South Korea. Cox_ba12

Osan Air Base South Korea. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:35 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 7:47 am

» Tired of it all…
by Coxfledgling Today at 7:23 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:29 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Osan Air Base South Korea. Empty
Live on Patrol

Osan Air Base South Korea.

Go down

Osan Air Base South Korea. Empty Osan Air Base South Korea.

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:25 am

I was stationed there from 1997-1998. I had too much of a good time and I am glad that it was only a year tour. Here I am now in 2021 on the same base which I don’t recognize, quarantined so I am limited to my room and I am only allowed to drive to work and back. Things sure have changed in close to 23yrs. Not sure I am happy about it either. Everything has been rebuilt or changed to the point that I can’t recognize it, the biggest concern is the trees and beauty have been stripped away. Large high rise buildings to house Airmen litter the base and very little left of the base history. It’s like I am in another place and it’s only been 23yrs!

You cannot get good Korean food on base anymore. Everything has been dumbed down to pacify the American palate. I sent a kid to go off base for me to get some real food, so time will tell. I have another week to go with this quarantine and then I will be allowed to go off base to re-integrate with the local population.

Sometimes it’s just best to leave memories alone and not try to revisit the past!

I did manage to fix what I came here for. Kind of wish it took longer so I have something to do during the day!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Osan Air Base South Korea. Empty Re: Osan Air Base South Korea.

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:15 am

A trip back in time Ron, I hung on every word.  But yes, you know the old saying "You can't go home again."  So true!

My nostalgia.

1956 Pensacola Florida. Beautiful base.  Main gate, one way roads in and out separated by a golf course.  Spanish moss hanging from trees.  Food memories, liverwurst sandwiches and spinach shared wife and I on E-2/3 pay.  Duplex on West Liberty street. then Hurds Trailer Park.  1951 Studebaker.

1959 Jacksonville Florida, nice base but not Pensacola.  E-4/5 pay, moved up to hotdogs and whole milk, 28 cents a gallon at the commissary.  Azalea Trailer Park, then a new house in Orange Park. 1953 Mercury.

1965 Newport Rhode Island.  Sent out for meatball etc. subs at the local Italian carry out. Best ever.  Wonderful.  1964 Buick Riviera, 1969 Mustang.

2019 Raymond N.H. First time I had visited my home town in 50 years.  Old friends, classmates.  Lobster rolls, Lobster Newburg, more Lobster.  Epping street where I grew up no longer pristine.  Elm trees gone, run-down houses, trash and rusting cars everywhere.  Decided not to visit my old bases again and keep the positive memories as I presently have of them.  

You really can't go home again. But I wish I had that old Studebaker back!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:40 am

Mine is the National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA. 40-ish miles into the Mojave Desert, North of Barstow, CA. Was permanent party in the 80's...returned from time to time over the next few decades. My last trip was 2017. Barstow is more run-down.

NTC plays wargames a little differently than way back then. I wont go into details. I will say it was a "Homecoming" for me each time I returned. And each time it was an eye-opener!

I will say I am glad to have done the last trip, as bittersweet as it was. I retired out shortly after...I see it as the start and the end...full circle...full of memories, good and bad. Mostly good as time goes on.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:40 pm

I know that feeling. In 1985, when I was 19, I was in Dubai when leaving a tanker after 6 months on board and to take the plane back home. The vessel was at anchor and I remember the port as a typical Arabian port with traditional wooden sailing ships. There were no palm islands and no Burj Khalifa. To go to the Dubai airport, I drove in taxi for almost an hour through the desert. When looking at Google Maps, now, the airport is in the city!!

In 1990, I was in Shanghai. That was also before the sky scraper era. It was winter time and our vessel was at anchor on the Yang Tse Kiang. In the city, when looking at a shop window, instantly, there where 20 Chinese standing behind and next to me staring at what I was looking at. I felt like in a zoo where I was the attraction. I decided to go in a restaurant to warm up but once inside, it was as cold as outside. The good looking waitress was wearing an anorak as if she would go skiing.

All memories no one can take away, but indeed the world has changed. For the better?
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:00 pm

OVERLORD wrote:

All memories no one can take away, but indeed the world has changed. For the better?

For the better?

I washed my bought new 2015 Honda Accord this morning.   Proximity FOB.  Placed my hand under the door lever and the car unlocks, just the drivers door mind you, others stay locked incase of car jackers.  Slipped into an electric leather seat already programmed and positioned for me.  Position 2 is programmed for my son. Foot on the brake and I press a button, car starts without a murmur.  Move a lever into the reverse position and back out of the garage. Chime rings reminding me that my seat belt is not secured.  Information central screen lights up waiting for my selections. And to think that this car is already 6 years out of date.  

No key, no clutch, no drama.  Really wish I had that Studebaker!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:09 pm

Yup, the times thay are a changing! Sometimes not for the good!   Don’t stand still, you’ll get run over.
LeeAnne a friend of ours ( she was my wife’s roommate when we first met) bought my childhood home from my Mom and step dad. The step dad changed/ruined the house/garage/workshop by making it “his”. Tossed out or gave away the tools and hardware that I grew up using. Replaced my grandpa’s Stanley Brace and bits with a Montgomery Ward Electric drill what a Dolt. He’s just dust in the wind now. Anyway, LeeAnne called a while back telling us she’s gonna put the house up for sale and move into a Condo. Do you want to come and visit the house before I have to move out?? After a few seconds of thought I replied, Oh Not Really, it’s just not the house I grew up in anymore. Although, I did mention that IF she got stuff packed, moved and cleared out of the Two-car garage attached to the house, I would like to spend a afternoon racing a couple of Cox cars like my Corvette or Chapperlle around inside like I did as I a youngster! Pounded a BBQ spit down into the dirt below the  grate of the Floor-drain in the middle of the Garage,  with the teather string attached to split-ring (key ring) it gave about 15foot diameter circle of “Speed” for the cars to spin around filling the air with the aroma of nitro and castor, with the screaming sound of those 049’s echoing inside the walls of the garage! The BBQ spit would wobble back and forth within the grate giving the car a inch or two more of room in each lap, until it ran right into the cement steps leading up to the house, SMACK- Crash! Or, even more fun the teather line would rub on the cement edge of the floor drain and wear away the dacron line thread by thread until it broke and the centrifugal force threw the car out of the garage, down the driveway across the street into Doc Taylor’s front yard still screaming and smoking! Ah, the memories!  
Unfortunately the old Dolt had stuffed so much of his “Stuff “ up in the loft of the garage
he had to install a couple of steel support posts to keep the rafters from sagging, so there was no longer a clear area to run a model car around inside. BUT in one corner where I used to park my Schwin, in bright Floursent Orange spray paint in my best freehand cursive  “Rene”  which I painted way back when! So, I didn’t get to re create my youthfull racetrack, but did get a pleasant memory of my using spray paints for things other than model airplanes, which is another story entirely!  lol!  lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:01 pm

Soak it up Ron, especially the food. Might
be the last time you can get the good stuff.
I know what you mean regarding how places
change. There are places I won't visit again
because I know better. Ain't dere no more.
There are places I return to, because I know
they've hardly changed. India and New Orleans
for two.
  Stay safe.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:41 am

Hey Cribbs
Yes the food around Osan is definitely got some good spots.

Stopped at a steak restaurant in the mountains two years ago in Korea. Steak was ridiculous expensive you know the beer raised or something?? Could cut the steak with a fork. Korean beef  very good stuff at least that stuff!!

Enjoy after QU:)

Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:34 pm

"Tossed out or gave away the tools and hardware that I grew up using. Replaced my grandpa’s Stanley Brace and bits with a Montgomery Ward Electric drill what a Dolt"

Rene, you don't know it but this one sentence set me off on a frantic two day search looking for my fathers Stanley brace. I know I had it in the garage probably 5/7 years ago when I showed it to my son, since then it's been a no-show. He had two, a standard brace, and this ratchet which he seldom used (we are talking 40's/50's here) for some reason preferring the standard. If I could find it, it's in great shape and I have turned the garages and shed upside down looking for it.

But, I did find my grandfathers bit set, which Dad also handed down to me many years ago. The brace should be in this drawer too but it isn't.

Osan Air Base South Korea. P1010954

It's been packed away for I don't know how many moves. Seems I cushioned the bits with crocheted dollies that my grandmother made. She would not approve.

Osan Air Base South Korea. P1010955
Osan Air Base South Korea. P1010956
Osan Air Base South Korea. P1010957
Osan Air Base South Korea. P1010958
Osan Air Base South Korea. P1010959

Someday I will remove all the hardware and refinish the case. Probably about the time that I find that brace.

Sorry Ron for the drift away................

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down