Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? Cox_ba12

Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? Empty
Live on Patrol

Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged?

Go down

Thinking Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged?

Post  sosam117 Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:53 am

I have been cleaning my Enya .06D-II engines and noticed a small difference in the venturi of a few of the diesels?
Some have the air bleed hole blocked off (plugged?) and some do not? I really have not noticed this before until now
since I have really torn down the engines for a good cleaning.

Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? 001_en10
Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? 001_en11
Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? 002_en11

First a little back ground. The venturi on the diesel engines are the same ones used on the Enya .06-II glow engines.
The barrel hole is the same size (diesel and glow). The slot on the barrel where the air is able to enter the venturi (air bleed hole) is the same.

So, how the venturi works is like this:
When the barrel is closed down to reduce the air intake (throttle down), at about 1mm before the intake is closed the slot for the air bleed (hole) starts to open up. This slot is long enough to let air into the venturi.
When the barrel is completely closed, the air bleed hole is fully open letting the small bit of air to "idle" the engine.

Is the reason for the air bleed hole plugged on the diesels to stop the air from coming in?
This would stop the diesel engine from running? Is it better to have the air bleed hole open or plugged?

I checked a couple of my "new in the box" diesels and some are open and some are plugged.
Did Enya forget to plug the air bleed holes? Are they suppose to be plugged. Being the venturi for the glow and diesel are the same is the diesel venturi to be plugged? Or did that step get missed in that part of the production (from the factory?)

I could see where the ones that might not have the air bleed hole plugged if the had the straight venturi (for U-control / free flight) and was changed to the throttle valve (R/C throttle) but my "New in the Box" were purchased with the T.V. from Enya?
One engine was purchased from Carson Imports - with plugged air bleed hole (in 1998),
and the other was purchased from Model Flight from Australia - no plugged air bleed hole (in 2003).

One other difference is the instruction sheet(s).
The one engine from Carlson Imports has the instructions in Japanese and are different than the one from Australia (in English)?
The instructions in English look like the usual Enya brochure that is sent with every Enya engine?

Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? Img_0076

I have taken apart many of the Enya .06 / Enya .049 engines and not one of them are assembled exactly the same.
Some will have the missing thrust washer behind the prop driver missing, sometimes missing or double gaskets on them. Some will have like a glue like pipe dope on the threads (real fun taking those apart) and others won't?

Has anyone have an answer or reason as to the plugged or not plugger air bleed hole?

Thanks,
sosam117
(Mike Mac)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged?

Post  balogh Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:32 am

Mike,

I believe that independently from the fuel i.e. glow or diesel, the air-bleed hole plugging may enable a full stop of the engine by remote control. This may be useful in an emergency situation, when you want a dead-stick landing i.e. do not want the prop to run when landing, for its own safety or the safety of others...like landing with paralyzed landing gear release servo, if any...just my humble theorizing...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:57 am

balogh wrote:Mike,

I believe that independently from the fuel i.e. glow or diesel, the air-bleed hole plugging may enable a full stop of the engine by remote control. This may be useful in an emergency situation, when you want a dead-stick landing i.e. do not want the prop to run when landing, for its own safety or the safety of others...like landing with paralyzed landing gear release servo, if any...just my humble theorizing...

I have emailed Ken Enya over a week ago and have received no reply from him?
I know he, (Ken) takes awhile to response to his emails.
I just wanted to know if anyone else would know the answer?

By the way, I have only seen the plugged air bleed hole on the diesel engines and not on the glow engines I have?
I know that a diesel will run on any leaking air around a venturi
(by experience when I forgot the gasket on a Enya 15 diesel R/C venturi.)

Mike Mac
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:00 pm

sosam117 wrote:
So, how the venturi works is like this:
When the barrel is closed down to reduce the air intake (throttle down), at about 1mm before the intake is closed the slot for the air bleed (hole) starts to open up. This slot is long enough to let air into the venturi.
When the barrel is completely closed, the air bleed hole is fully open letting the small bit of air to "idle" the engine.

That's not really how the air-bleed works. The bore in the carb and barrel are usually fully symmetric, i.e. the barrel will close at the same time both above and below the spray bar. The action of the airbleed hole is then to off-set this, i.e. the barrel will close down-stream before it closes above the spray bar. Thus the airbleed makes the idle leaner than without the airbleed. The barrel will still fully close the intake below the spray bar and thus the engine will stop.

I do not have any of the Enya diesels in this size, only glow engines. My glow engines do not have the glue, are you sure that it isn't simply a modification by a previous owner?
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:12 pm

These diesel engines are "New in the Box" that were straight from Enya that I purchased from Model Flight in Australia and the other engine from Carlson Imports.

Talked to Ed Carlson about how he was able to get the diesel Enya engines into the United States.
He told me that he had a "friend" purchase the diesels from Enya then his friend shipped the engines to Carlson.
Ed Carlson did that for a few years until MRC chased him down and got the law after him (cease and desist order)
because MRC was Enya's supposedly only importer of engines.

Carlson tried to make a deal with MRC that he would only sell the diesel engines because he knew his customers that he sells to would want the diesels. MRC didn't care and shut him down from selling any Enya engines at all.

Anyway, I was able to get one diesel when he first was selling the diesels and lucky enough to get one of the last Enya diesels he had left to sell. The Carlson Import diesels are the ones with the plugged Air Bleed hole.

If you contact Ed Carlson (60-863-1684) he can confirm everything that I have typed here.

Attached is a photo of the venturi that is on the engine's instruction sheet. I also translated the Japanese language to English.
The numbers on the venturi diagram will match up to the Japanese translation.

Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? Enya_079

1) ス ロ ー ス ピ ー ド 時 の エ ヤ ー 孔 巾 約 mm に セ ッ ト す る
Set the air hole width at slow speed to approximately 1 mm

2) 全 開 時
When fully opened

3) ハ イ
High

4) ス ロ-
Slow (throw)

5) ネ ジ を ゆ る め て レ バ い づ れ に も を 上 か え ら れ る 。
Unscrew the screw to lift the lever.

6 ) 後 方
Back

7) ス ロ ー
Slow (throw)

8 ) レ バ ー が 下 向 き の 場 合 は 与 型 に 曲 げ る
If the lever is facing down, bend it into a “Y” form

9) ハ イ
High

10) 両 方 の 燃 料 孔 が 合 う 位 置 に ス プ レ ー バ ー を 組 立 て る こ と 。
Assemble the spray bar at the place where both fuel holes fit.

11) 燃 料 孔 は 前 向 き
Fuel hole facing forward

12) 前 方
Front

13) マ ー ク は 10 用
Mark is for 10

14) マ ー ク は 08 用
The mark is for 08

15) ノ ー マ ー ク は 06-06D 用
No mark is for 06-06D

16) 049 用 は 小 型 で す 。
For 049 is a small type.

At the end of the arrow marked #11 is the hole for the air bleed on the barrel, where it lines up to the air bleed hole on the housing when the venturi is closed. But air still goes by when the main hole is closed through the air bleed hole.
On one of the earlier versions of the Enya .06-II (series #3) that I have, it has a screw to open or close off the Air bleed hole.
I'll try too find that engine?

Found them!
These venturi Air bleed holes works just like any other air bleed hole.
You either unscrew the screw for more air to enter or close the air bleed hole by screwing the screw in.
This is on two Glow Enya .06-II (series #3) engines. Series #4 don't have these air bleed screws.

Enya .06-II series #3 engines
Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? 01_eny10
Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? 02_eny10
Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? 03_eny10
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:12 am

sosam117 wrote:

At the end of the arrow marked #11 is the hole for the air bleed on the barrel, where it lines up to the air bleed hole on the housing when the venturi is closed. But air still goes by when the main hole is closed through the air bleed hole.

No, the arrow at #11 is a third hole for the fuel. These carbs are different from others in the way that the spray bar is not centered in the barrel. Instead it sits in front of the barrel and thus there is a third hole in the barrel in order to  connect to the spray bar and have fuel go into the barrel. On some Enyas this hole is also slightly elongated, in order to not get closed when the barrel is rotated. The barrel will close at two places , one on top (above the airbleed) and one at the bottom (below the airbleed). So even if the airbleed is open there is no air/fuel entering the crankcase. The purpose of the airbleed is only to of-set the closing of the upper and lower parts of the barrel. The airbleed effectively delays the closing of the upper part, and hence there is less of a vacuum around around the spraybar and the fuel mix is leaner than without the airbleed.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:41 am

The main question for this posting is why is the air bleed hole plugged on the Enya .06D-II diesel?
The plugging on the air bleed hole was done by Enya, and I have not received a reply from Ken Enya for the reason?
Should I unplug it? Or plug the other Enya .06D-II diesel?

I have nine of these diesel engines and 1/2 are plugged (4 engines) and the other five are not plugged?

Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? Enya_b10
Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? Enya_b11
Enya .06D-II diesel engine air bleed hole plugged? 001_en12
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:07 am

I would do an experiment with and without the airbleed hole plugged...I am sure if plugged, you will be at ease to even stop the engine with the throttle barrel fully closed...without the plug in the hole, you may have a pretty low idle, adjustable with the throttle arm...(in the otherwise not too good COX RC carbs the airbleed is fine tunable with a bolt) .
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:35 am

Just run them as they are and see how they behave. There might also be other changes to the carbs that are not easily visible. The important thing is to set the main needle at full throttle, together with the compression setting, then check the low end and throttle respons from idle. With a fixed airbleed (or the absence of one) you simply get what you get.

Again, the air-bleed has nothing to do with shutting down the engine. The airbleed simply affects the fuel ratio from the idle and up a bit above that.

The Cox Queen Bee comes without any airbleed and will run fine like that but the low-end is too rich and it throttles much better with the addition of an airbleed.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down