Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again Cox_ba12

A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 9:24 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 5:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again Empty
Live on Patrol

A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again

Go down

A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again Empty A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again

Post  Kim Mon May 24, 2021 9:30 am

My ex-father in-law was cleaning out his basement a while back, and asked if I'd take the model planes he'd built WAY back when I was married to his daughter (shiver!).  We'd stayed on good terms (much to the consternation of my ex) after the divorce, but we never got together to fly.

Now, this little motorglider is ready to rock, and I intend to get him some flying time with it if his health will allow.

https://youtu.be/g8VFnBTH6u8
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again Empty Re: A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again

Post  getback Tue May 25, 2021 7:02 am

cheers cheers She looked good in the air and the float was Nice also ! That old Airtronics radio did it's thing , I know that made you happy and no interference ! It should bring some good entertainment at S.M.A.L.L. Friends/Meeting
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again Empty Re: A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again

Post  Kim Tue May 25, 2021 8:37 am

getback wrote:cheers cheers She looked good in the air and the float was Nice also ! That old Airtronics radio did it's thing , I know that made you happy and no interference ! It should bring some good entertainment at S.M.A.L.L. Friends/Meeting

I'm almost afraid to say, for fear of bringing on bad luck, but I've had nothing but success with my 72mhz radios, here, at S.M.A.L.L., and even at the Sig Fly-In up in Montezuma,,IA.  The biggest problem I'd encountered was at the Sig Fly-In, where an older gentleman didn't want to walk to the frequency board each time he flew, so just collected all the pins for his radios and kept them at his table...THEN got pretty irked at me for wanting to "borrow" them from him! Very Happy

At any rate, the Piece O' Cake will probably get a different radio eventually, but it'll make the run to S.M.A.L.L. as is.  Checking the trim levers and elevator position in the video, I THINK I may have---for the first time I can remember---balanced a plane slightly node-heavy!  That just never happens in my world, so gonna take a little of it's nose ballast away to get that elevator level in glide.

Gonna leave for S.M.A.L.L. a week from today, so the assault on my shop is about to begin--------getting excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again Img_5910

A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again Img_5911
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue May 25, 2021 9:45 am

Have a good time Kim!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed May 26, 2021 6:55 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Have a good time Kim!

Gonna do it!

Thanks Ron!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGoodwreck Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:16 pm

Were you able to get the old boy to fly his plane?
MrGoodwreck
MrGoodwreck
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:35 am

MrGoodwreck wrote:Were you able to get the old boy to fly his plane?

I haven't been back there yet, mostly due to the heat and bugs we're experiencing!.  Thinking of swapping out the receiver to allow use of my buddy box system to cut down on the transmitter shuffling, but may just take all the htrows to minimum, and go that way.

Will report when it happens!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:03 am

Kim wrote:

I haven't been back there yet, mostly due to the heat and bugs we're experiencing!.  Thinking of swapping out the receiver to allow use of my buddy box system to cut down on the transmitter shuffling, but may just take all the htrows to minimum, and go that way.

Bind and fly Kim. Bind and fly. One transmitter as you know controls lots of planes. Initial investment not to bad. But like you I have always been stuck on 72Mhz but my son loves the stuff.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:38 am

rsv1cox wrote:
Kim wrote:

I haven't been back there yet, mostly due to the heat and bugs we're experiencing!.  Thinking of swapping out the receiver to allow use of my buddy box system to cut down on the transmitter shuffling, but may just take all the throws to minimum, and go that way.

Bind and fly Kim.  Bind and fly.  One transmitter as you know controls lots of planes.  Initial investment not to bad.  But like you I have always been stuck on 72Mhz but my son loves the stuff.  

Yeah, I've got several "plug & play" types that are Bind and Fly and some Spektrum stuff. It's just that I've got SOOOOO much 72 stuff that works just great for my purposes and, knock on wood, have had absolutely no problems that could be traced to my long antennas.

Probably gonna ride this tech on out to the end...and tend to worry more about the "Plastic Badge Nazi's" more than my old gear.... Smile
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A 20+ Year-Old "Piece O' Cake" Motorglider Takes to the Air Again Empty Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:11 pm

The more I look at that glider the more it looks like one I threw together a good 25 years ago.

The wing was adapted by lengthening it by a few bays and extending the dyhedral tip a little. The wing was from a Found free flight free plan in aeromodeler magazine an is on Outer zone, Found Centennial from memory.

The fuz I made from one piece of 4 inch I think it was, by 36 inch 1/8 sheet, and bits from the scrap box for the top and bottom.

It's 2 channel r + e flying on cheapo 27 meg, and powered by an ME Heron 1cc diesel.

I added sruce spars made from guy Fawkes night rocket sticks, didn't have much spare money in those days. Rockets are not as popular these days, only 7 found last year locally.

No undercarriage on mine.

I few it from a beach until it was a tiny dot in the sky, then the fuel runs out, glides about for a long time, spins and recovery and loops fine.

Cheap and great fun. I flew it in the valley I have been living in since 2001 but the recent "restrictions" mean I should not fly it here.

I will try and post a picture.

Been meaning to make a very similar low wing version, this winter is going to be a busy model making one.

Found Centennial FC 100, outerzone oz3287
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGoodwreck Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:57 am

Kim wrote:

I look forward to hearing about it.

I like this kind of stuff. Laughing
MrGoodwreck
MrGoodwreck
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down