Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Cox_ba12

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Empty Re: On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home...

Post  Kim Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:56 am

Ken Cook wrote:          Kim, did you see the B-70 Valkyrie? Awesome sight it is.

Hey Ken,

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Valkyrie, but had a situation back home that cut my visit short, so I mostly just got photos of the Belle on this run.

Got these photos on my last visit back in 2017. t looks like some kind of giant bird, hovering over the other exhibits!

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Star410
On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Star910
On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Star1010
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Empty Re: On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home...

Post  KariFS Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:26 am

rsv1cox wrote:

Only if it had a balsa tail Kari.  Smile

Well, you never know Smile A better shot of the fuselage:

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 0a587410

Clearly in need of a tail piece Very Happy

That Valkyrie is a huge bird and quite impressive. Vulcan is pretty big too:

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 F8c36310

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 C4c1cf10

Duxton also has another favourite of mine:

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 2f3e7210

I visited the Dayton, Ohio museum back in 1989 when I participated in a Lions Club youth exchange program and stayed in Culver, IN for 6 weeks. Only paper photos from that trip obviously Old Bugger
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:00 am

UFO ?? lol! Pics are nice , sure would like to go but i don't see it in my future Crying or Very sad
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:24 pm

So, headed out for home on Wednesday, but got stopped fairly quickly by construction on I-70, a few miles west of Richmond.  For 2 and a half hours, we all parked on the Interstate...truck drivers were checking their rigs and there was even some pitch and catch going on along the shoulders.  

I got some lunch from the camper and. getting seriously bored, decided to send the Mavic up for a quick snoop around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plBg_EVWHzg

After a couple lifetimes, the traffic suddenly started moving, and in a mile or so, we all were going at a pretty good clip, with me steeling myself for the run around Indianapolis on the 465 bypass.  

This loop always provides me with some excitement, and this time was no exception...seems like EVERYBODY wanted to be where I was.  But, I got around the bypass with my big, slow target vehicle, and kicked back for some cruise time on I-70.  Still lots of construction, with speed limits going up and down, and super rough patches and repairs-in-progress.

A few miles into a clear and clean stretch, the was a loud BOOM! from behind, followed by some swerving as my camper tried to steer my fan.  Its right tire had blown out.  I coasted to a stop, largely helped by the dragging camper, but everything had stayed upright and mostly straight.

The jack that I'd gotten just for this purpose wouldn't fit under the axle with the tire collapsed, so a call went out to AAA for some help.  Three calls and two hours more finally got me a guy with a small floor jack (shopping list item), and we were up and away in 15 minutes...though the drive home was tense and slow, with my eyeing the surviving tire for the remaining 270 miles.

On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 1_202
On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Img_6911
On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Img_6910

So, STILL a great trip...just some hopefully fixable damage to the plastic sealing sheet under the camper from getting a good beating by the destroyed tire.

Now, to go tire and jack shopping!

Last edited by Kim on Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:05 pm

Quite a trip you had there Kim. Sorry to hear of your having to return home quickly and the tire incident. But am also glad you got it fixed up and home safe.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:20 pm

Road tales Kim, a hazard of a traverlers life. Traffic jams like that impede the AAA from getting to you too. At least you had the option. In 1956 I had none and no spare that fit.

Been lucky though, no long term road delay, but I did get stuck on a train once between Oklahoma City and Chicago for hours. Had a nice young lady on board that kept me company.

Glad you made it home ok, the drone video was telling.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:23 pm

Thanks Guys!

Yep...no complaints.

I'm VERY thankful that it didn't let go on that "bumper-car track" around Indianapolis! My biggest problem was getting to a live person on the AAA line, and THEN getting them to understand where I was and what happened...while the traffic roared by.

I'd had some vague warning about "Trailer Tires", but figured they'd still work OK. These still looked great and I check the pressures before each departure. So...gonna get myself some DE-LUXE new tires, and a new jack, AND do a wheel change drill in the driveway!

Lucky Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:19 pm

I'm an AAA member and carry their card always.  Got all those 800 numbers on the back.  Never had to call - yet.  They keep trying to get me to upgrade to AAA Plus - towing 100 miles vs. 3 miles my present classic.  Also better locksmith, emergency fuel delivery, extrication service (guess thats ditch not jail Smile), and ID theft protection.  Free until I renew in Feb. '22.  Thinking about it.  But it's always easier getting in than out.  

BTW, that was some explosion, heat buildup probably a factor.  That is one mangled tire!!

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:22 am

O man What a pies-or , all that waiting to have a blow out and wait some more Sad Glad you and the Skunk Works Mobil Unit got home OK and now for the upgrades Cool When you do the test runs remove the wheel /tire and let her down all the way to see if the jack will come out and back in for a change .. Smile Got some rest i hope after that adventure .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:23 am

getback wrote:O man What a pies-or , all that waiting to have a blow out and wait some more Sad  Glad you and the Skunk Works Mobil Unit got home OK and now for the upgrades Cool When you do the test runs remove the wheel /tire and let her down all the way to see if the jack will come out and back in for a change .. Smile Got some rest i hope after that adventure .

Thanks Eric!

Yeah, Uncle Wayne is having some issues, but is somewhat settled down now, so my attention is turning toward getting the damaged underside of the camper repaired, and sealed against some water leakage that showed up.

Yep...there will be a realistic wheel change practiced before the next foray!!!

I got the Midwest ME-109's wing waiting on the bench, and my newly acquired Sig "Banshee"'s Fox engine to receive some tuning, so all is good!

Appreciate the note!!!

P.S.---Your New "Action Icon" is really cool!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:58 pm

Good to hear you made it in safely and hope Uncle Wayne is on the mend.  Really enjoyed seeing the other photos you posted.  

We pull a dual axle rig, although not big.  I ended up having to hang a new suspension under our first trailer so I had a chance to learn a few things -- jack height was one of them.  I use a scissor jack, similar to the stabilizing jacks on the trailer, only with a larger base.

When you're shopping for trailer underbelly material, don't skimp.  I did for part of ours and I have regretted it.  A good RV dealership will sell the material by the running foot, both in 105" wide and adhesive backed 4" wide.  There is quite a difference between economy and the "good stuff".
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:21 am

andrew wrote:Good to hear you made it in safely and hope Uncle Wayne is on the mend.  Really enjoyed seeing the other photos you posted.  

We pull a dual axle rig, although not big.  I ended up having to hang a new suspension under our first trailer so I had a chance to learn a few things -- jack height was one of them.  I use a scissor jack, similar to the stabilizing jacks on the trailer, only with a larger base.

When you're shopping for trailer underbelly material, don't skimp.  I did for part of ours and I have regretted it.  A good RV dealership will sell the material by the running foot, both in 105" wide and adhesive backed 4" wide.  There is quite a difference between economy and the "good stuff".

Point taken, Andrew!  Thank you for the tip, and it will be followed.  

Over the past couple days, I've emptied out the camper, and am working at sealing any potential leaks in the walls and roof....when not mowing the jungle my yard has become!  The next step is sealing up the damaged underside, and I will follow your suggestions on that, along with a good inspection to look for any other problems while I'm crawling around under this thing!

After lunch, I'm headed to town to do some tire shopping!

Thanks Again!!!

Last edited by Kim on Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:46 am

while I've crawling around under this thing!

Jack stands, wheels/tires, 2X4's anything to hold that baby up securely.   But you already know that.  I can't tell you how many times I have looked up and wondered - What the heck am I doing under here!!!!

mowing the jungle my yard has become!

On the mower again................... We need some musical note emoticons.......................

I just mowed a couple of acres this morning, first time in over a month.  No rain during that period equals no growth. But last week we got drenched.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:39 am

rsv1cox wrote:while I've crawling around under this thing!

Jack stands, wheels/tires, 2X4's anything to hold that baby up securely.   But you already know that.  I can't tell you how many times I have looked up and wondered - What the heck am I doing under here!!!!

mowing the jungle my yard has become!

On the mower again................... We need some musical note emoticons.......................

I just mowed a couple of acres this morning, first time in over a month.  No rain during that period equals no growth.  But last week we got drenched.

Yeah, eventually, I'm gonna have to buy a better mower.  I'm still using the push mower I bought some 11 years ago.  I can afford a rider or tractor, but my doctor has continually fussed at me about my weight and B.P., and I see this as getting some good cardio...though it CAN be almost overwhelming.  I CAN tell that I'm losing ground as the years pass...I used to be able to mow the front yard, take a tea break, then do the back yard, all in about an hour or so...those days are apparently gone!

We got hit with several rain storms, and my yard responded accordingly, just as I headed out on my trip.

Yes, I'm VERY cautious about crawling under anything that's on jacks or stands...many rednecks have taken out by falling vehicles!!!  Fortunately  I've got a low spot that the camper can straddle and let me work on it with it sitting on it's wheels.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:51 am

Zero turn Kim. Makes mowing the lawn fun. Mine came with the house. Previous owner beat it for three years and I have added another eleven. John Deere Timex, takes a lickin' and keeps on ticking.

Yeah...........I was always slim, progressed from a 29" thru 33". Pushing 34/5" now with no end in sight.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:41 pm

We were parked for some time due to covid and I wasn't paying attention -- we had a leak, in front and in back.  Kathy and I ended up gutting the front third and back third of the camper, then rebuilt it.  Most of what you see was either replaced or scabbed. She said that wasn't ever going to happen again -- and I believe her!!!  Three pics of the rear, the nice one is the almost finished product.  Incidentally, in addition to butyl rubber, we tried clear Flex Seal Spray on the exterior seams and I have been quite satisfied so far -- it really is pretty tough without getting brittle.  I think it will have enough flexibility to last on the road.On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Dsc04210
On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Dsc04211
On the Road Again...And...a Wild Ride Home... - Page 2 Dsc04310
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:41 pm

Just has to do it:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=willie+nelson+on+the+road+again&view=detail&mid=51548160BA28D70CBE6F51548160BA28D70CBE6F&FORM=VIRE0&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dwillie%2bnelson%2bon%2bthe%2broad%2bagain%26form%3dANSPH1%26refig%3d5a325678cbf44c1b9ab87dfa02c78329%26pc%3dU531

My son and his wife are looking for something like that Andrew to pull behind their truck.  Some of the best times they ever had was in an old Ford camper. Trips to the mountains and West Coast scuba diving among the kelp.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2