Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Cox_ba12

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by MauricioB Today at 12:37 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Empty
Live on Patrol

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found.

Go down

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Empty Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found.

Post  Rummelhart Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:09 pm

I was at a garage sale today when I picked up a box of stuff.  I was interested in two model boat kits.  I thought the car was just a toy push car I had no idea what thimble drome cars were.  The car is  Cox Mercedes Benz race car.  After learning what the car was I went back and picked up a box of parts.

I use to collect action figures and games so I know what my find would mean to a thimble car collector.  I am posting this because although it would look great on my shelf, I prefer to get it to a collector of this type of car or a car museum.  I am not sure how to do that.
Rummelhart
Rummelhart
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Empty Re: Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found.

Post  Marleysky Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:51 pm

You've definitely found the right place !  If you want to post pictures of the car to show it’s condition we could help set sales price. Unless of course you just want to be sure it goes to a “Good Home” and be appreciated, you can just send it to me or Bob and we would reimburse you for your shipping and handling charges!  

You may not be able to post pictures as a new member, so if you PM me your e mail and send the picture to me I can post them for you.
By the way ...

WELCOME TO THE FORUM !
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Empty Re: Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found.

Post  getback Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:16 am

Welcome to the Forum Rummelhart !! I hear you are a collector also so you know by now what these can go for depending on the shape it was left in ... You may want to consider cleaning it up and putting it no a shelf to admire . The prices aren't going down Very Happy Would love to see it though. Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Empty Mercedes Benz race car.

Post  Rummelhart Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:43 pm

I will try to post some pictures.  I have to work on it though since my Windows 10 computer will not read data from my old digital camera.  I think the car except for the decals is in excellent shape.  I am not sure if it was ever run.  In the parts I picked up there was a black bottom and an extra red bottom.  Also the cowl and instrument panel.  These parts show wear, so I wonder if the person had another car that he raced and just displayed this one.  Unfortunately there are not any more body parts to complete a second car.
Rummelhart
Rummelhart
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:25 pm

Welcome to the group Rummelhart!

I'm mostly one of these guys RC Plane but they tolerate me sometimes.

Congratulations on your find!.. would love to see some pictures of the car. Is it a 'follow a string' type of car, or an 'on a string' circle type car?

If your old camera came with software and it's 64bit you might try loading it on the windows 10 machine. It would probably find the camera and allow uploads.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Empty Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer

Post  Rummelhart Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:28 pm

The car I believe was intended to run in a circle.
Rummelhart
Rummelhart
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:07 pm

It is indeed a tether car. A very pretty one to boot. They are always out of my reach for what I am willing to spend. I am interested in seeing it and at least having a shot at buying it from you. Our resident expert would be Bob V. aka rsv1cox. He is a regular and could enlighten you as to it’s value and condition.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Empty Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found.

Post  Rummelhart Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:03 pm

I thought I had posted a reply to this.  However I don't see it so I must have done some thing wrong.  I took so pictures but don't know how to post them.  One of the forum members said I could PM him the photos.  It appears I needed to post a few more post to be able to do that.

The pictures I took didn't turn out very well.  I have a new phone and have not really used the camera yet.
Rummelhart
Rummelhart
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:25 pm

Here is one on Ebay right now.  Does yours look something like this??
Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Screen64

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304179598885?hash=item46d2845625:g:88sAAOSwTz5hYiE9
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Rummelhart Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:20 am

Yes but in better condition.
Rummelhart
Rummelhart
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:22 pm

Oh my, YES!  Much better condition.  The previous owner wouldn't happen to have the original box or paperwork would she?  
this looks to be a prime example that has never seen fuel. The chrome looks to be in new condition!
Here are the pictures you sent me to publish on the forum for others to see.

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Mb110
Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Mb210
Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Mb310
Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Mb410
Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Mb510

It has not been done in a while, but you could list it for sale here on the forum. Take bids on it in e-mail or PM's and the last highest bidder wins.
The last one I purchased came from Facebook Marketplace. The guy even posted pictures of two others on E-bay that were over $400 and He still sold it to me for less than $200. He was just glad it was going to a collector and I told him I was very excited to add it to my collection for a very REASONABLE price! ! Otherwise, like Ron Cribbs said they are just out of sight.

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Screen65
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. Empty Mercedes Benz Race Car

Post  Rummelhart Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:02 pm

I am pretty sure the previous owner doesn't have the box.  However there was a four page instruction sheet that came with it.  It also is in good shape but has a small tear on the top.  I would guess it is the same as the one shown in your second picture.  However it has not been folded up.
Rummelhart
Rummelhart
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Lol,

And the search continues. It looks collector quality. Out of my league.

Yeah you could post it here in the For Sale/Wanted section and see if anyone wants a nice piece for their collection.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:28 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Lol,

And the search continues. It looks collector quality. Out of my league.

Yeah you could post it here in the For Sale/Wanted section and see if anyone wants a nice piece for their collection.

Ron

Hey RON! check your PM's and E-mail ! ! !
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:39 pm

Done and done…
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:54 am

Rene, check your email again.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:48 pm

Rummelhart wrote:I am pretty sure the previous owner doesn't have the box.  However there was a four page instruction sheet that came with it.  It also is in good shape but has a small tear on the top.  I would guess it is the same as the one shown in your second picture.  However it has not been folded up.

Rummelhart - You as a new member are one of the kind of people who make this such a great forum to belong to. We really enjoy and appreciate the generosity and kindness of your desire to get the Race Car into the hands of a Cox Collector, who will and can appreciate it, for what is is.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:08 pm

I have been out of the Cox Mercedes Benz loop for some time now, but when in I bought 17 of them.  Paid as little as 91.00 for one (nice example) to $1500 for one (NIB) but it had packing that even our Cox Mercedes expert here hadn't seen.  

I recently sold ten of them, keeping seven of the most interesting.  

Edit add:  Made a mistake.  Counting in my head I missed one.  Sold nine, kept eight.  Forgot about this one.  Kept it because I painted it from a poor example that a PO had modified the front suspension substituting springs for torsion bars (sorta).  But he made the springs way too stiff.  Worked better when I replaced with softer springs. Geeze....mistake again. Other way around, I replaced the soft springs with stiffer ones. Softer springs allowed the nose to drag on the ground.

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. P1011801
Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. P1011802

Some may remember it because I posted about it here, as I did most of the rest of them.

Edit over.

I loved them, still do.  Not much of a tether car but a nice mantle piece with an interesting drivetrain.  These beg to be disassembled and examined especially the differential.

Kept a loose leaf binder with pages of each.  Included was a picture, price, date, and the sellers description.

Mercedes Benz Grand Prix Racer found. P1011800

I hope that you all enjoy yours as much as I did mine.  Only ran one, my first.  Still have it.  Wrecked on turn nine.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down