Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Cox_ba12

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by MauricioB Today at 1:53 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by MauricioB Today at 1:50 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:42 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Empty
Live on Patrol

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX

Go down

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Empty I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX

Post  Woody Sat May 14, 2022 5:29 am

Hi all.
Its a bit of a story.
Only three weeks ago I saw Kim's Q tee flying on you tube. I have since built one and posted about it. People liked my fuel tank!!!
Anyway he suggested I join the Cox Engine Forum so I did.
I now have three Cox 049s and an 09 on the way.
I have also had a spiritual need for trying out control line flying.( Thats your fault)
I have built and flown a few decades ago but I am being pulled back by a force!!!!!
I am currently building a KK Phantom to fly my new Cox 09 which is in the post.( Can do a build blogg if you want?)
But my real dream is the Keil Kraft Demon which I think is a beautiful model.
This may be because it was the very first model aeroplane I ever saw at the age of 10 in Singapore.
I have never forgotten it and its story so I just must build one and soon.
So hopefully this explains the Enya 15 CX which will fly my KK Demon.
I think it is such a " boy" plane ( model) if you know what I mean.
I do not like pure scale models.
I like models that look like toys but fly well.
Will you admit to that?
I love the Enya 15 because of the old way it was built.
I like turned and milled old style heads not the cast stuff.
Hard to explain but I am old and cannot get out if it.
It was my boyhood.
WAS???.... I still am!!.... And don't want to change it!
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Empty Re: I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX

Post  getback Sat May 14, 2022 8:01 am

Cool should make for a good engine for your project ! Yes why not do a log on the build !? Very Happy Is the engine broke in ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Empty Re: I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX

Post  rdw777 Sat May 14, 2022 12:33 pm

Your Q-Tee turned out very nice!! Absolutely, If you build something please record it here…. Thanks for sharing!!
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun May 15, 2022 1:26 am

Woody wrote:
It was my boyhood.

But I'm pretty sure the Enya .15CX has a cast head, it is only the perimeter that is turned...?
It is also ABC and double ballbearing, you cannot get more modern than that Wink

The .15CX is a bored version of their .11 engine, so it is not quite as powerful as other .15 engines. Mine has always been a bit tight in the bearings, the front one is a regular bearing and I have not been able to source a proper, looser fit, one.

Run's and throttles fine, just don't expect a power house. Smile
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Sun May 15, 2022 3:12 am

Surfer_kris wrote:
Woody wrote:
It was my boyhood.

But I'm pretty sure the Enya .15CX has a cast head, it is only the perimeter that is turned...?
It is also ABC and double ballbearing, you cannot get more modern than that Wink

The .15CX is a bored version of their .11 engine, so it is not quite as powerful as other .15 engines. Mine has always been a bit tight in the bearings, the front one is a regular bearing and I have not been able to source a proper, looser fit, one.

Run's and throttles fine, just don't expect a power house. Smile

Thanks for pointing that out to me.
There was me thinking I had a new old time engine.
Anyway it does not matter.
Lets just say I like the look of it with its cylindrical and polished head.
So for a 15 powerhouse what would you go for?
Woody
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 15, 2022 6:19 am

The SS15BB S has good stats. maybe someone else can chime in on that https://www.enya-engine.com/ListCL_E.html
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun May 15, 2022 10:53 am

getback wrote:The SS15BB S has good stats. maybe someone else can chime in on that https://www.enya-engine.com/ListCL_E.html  

I have one of the RC ones tucked away in its box, I don't think that I ever ran it, something else came up I guess.

When the .15CX engine first came out I jumped on it, as the .11CX series engines (both AAC and ABC versions) are all good runners. But the .15CX is only similar in power to a .10 engine, in my experience. I also had a problem with the stock muffler, it would distort the crankcase so instead I've run mine on an OS .15 muffler (which might be more restrictive compared to the Enya one).

The strongest .15 "sports engine" that I have is the Cox conquest, it beats anything else by a clear margin. Smile
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun May 15, 2022 5:17 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:
getback wrote:The SS15BB S has good stats. maybe someone else can chime in on that https://www.enya-engine.com/ListCL_E.html  

I have one of the RC ones tucked away in its box, I don't think that I ever ran it, something else came up I guess.

When the .15CX engine first came out I jumped on it, as the .11CX series engines (both AAC and ABC versions) are all good runners. But the .15CX is only similar in power to a .10 engine, in my experience. I also had a problem with the stock muffler, it would distort the crankcase so instead I've run mine on an OS .15 muffler (which might be more restrictive compared to the Enya one).

The strongest .15 "sports engine" that I have is the Cox conquest, it beats anything else by a clear margin. Smile

I have "TWO" each of the MVVS .15 (2.5) glow and diesel. Both with side exhaust.
Now those are superb engines!

Take a look on ebay for the example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154097085506

These are Schnuerle ported engines and they are real screamers!
Not cheap either.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun May 15, 2022 5:52 pm

I have nothing of hot .15's to boast of. Only Enya .15-III TV and standard, Fox .15X, Magnum .15 R/C, OS Max .15FP-S, OS Max .15R/C, HB .12 - all sport engines. But, they are all reliable runners.

Woody wrote:Hi all. Its a bit of a story. Only three weeks ago I saw Kim's Q tee flying on you tube. I have since built one and posted about it. People liked my fuel tank!!! Anyway he suggested I join the Cox Engine Forum so I did. I now have three Cox 049s and an 09 on the way. I have also had a spiritual need for trying out control line flying. (Thats your fault) I have built and flown a few decades ago but  I am being pulled back by a force!!!!!

Humour Follows.

Hijacked Addiction sets in, one Cox engine is not enough! Very Happy
I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX 2021-014
We've all been there done that! Laughing

Welcome to the CEF Borg Collective, Woody.

You should know, your life as it has been, is over. Razz From this time forward, you will service us. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Rudolph Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. cheers

CEF BORG GEORGE: I was assimilated into the CEF Collective Borg in 2013, Babe Bee .049 now service 76 engines total, 57 half-A & A (22 Cox: Small Cox Logo 19 reedies, 2 Medallions, 1 Tee Dee) Laughing
Back To Topic

Woody wrote:I am currently building a KK Phantom to fly my new Cox 09 which is in the post. (Can do a build blog if you want?)  But my real dream is the Keil Kraft Demon which I think is a beautiful model. This may be because it was the very first model aeroplane I ever saw at the age of 10 in Singapore. I have never forgotten it and its story so I just must build one and soon. So hopefully this explains the Enya 15 CX which will fly my KK Demon.
Go for it! Both planes!
CEF: Models and Modeling
Popcorn Thumbs Up

Woody wrote:I think it is such a " boy" plane ( model) if you know what I mean. I do not like pure scale models. I like models that look like toys but fly well. Will you admit to that?

Woody, we all here are not normal. Crazy Eyes We are all unique, in our own way. I Love This Forum!
I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Aerost10
From my kit box: 1960's Frank Zaic's 48" RC Aero Star image.
I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Aerost11
My kit box label
Does this look toy-like enough?  lol!
Relax, I think you will find yourself in very comfortable territory. Stereo
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Tue May 17, 2022 4:15 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:I have nothing of hot .15's to boast of. Only Enya .15-III TV and standard, Fox .15X, Magnum .15 R/C, OS Max .15FP-S, OS Max .15R/C, HB .12 - all sport engines. But, they are all reliable runners.

Woody wrote:Hi all. Its a bit of a story. Only three weeks ago I saw Kim's Q tee flying on you tube. I have since built one and posted about it. People liked my fuel tank!!! Anyway he suggested I join the Cox Engine Forum so I did. I now have three Cox 049s and an 09 on the way. I have also had a spiritual need for trying out control line flying. (Thats your fault) I have built and flown a few decades ago but  I am being pulled back by a force!!!!!

Humour Follows.

Hijacked Addiction sets in, one Cox engine is not enough! Very Happy
I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX 2021-014
We've all been there done that! Laughing

Welcome to the CEF Borg Collective, Woody.

You should know, your life as it has been, is over. Razz From this time forward, you will service us. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Rudolph Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. cheers

CEF BORG GEORGE: I was assimilated into the CEF Collective Borg in 2013, Babe Bee .049 now service 76 engines total, 57 half-A & A (22 Cox: Small Cox Logo 19 reedies, 2 Medallions, 1 Tee Dee) Laughing
Back To Topic

Woody wrote:I am currently building a KK Phantom to fly my new Cox 09 which is in the post. (Can do a build blog if you want?)  But my real dream is the Keil Kraft Demon which I think is a beautiful model. This may be because it was the very first model aeroplane I ever saw at the age of 10 in Singapore. I have never forgotten it and its story so I just must build one and soon. So hopefully this explains the Enya 15 CX which will fly my KK Demon.
Go for it! Both planes!
CEF: Models and Modeling
Popcorn Thumbs Up

Woody wrote:I think it is such a " boy" plane ( model) if you know what I mean. I do not like pure scale models. I like models that look like toys but fly well. Will you admit to that?

Woody, we all here are not normal. Crazy Eyes We are all unique, in our own way. I Love This Forum!
I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Aerost10
From my kit box: 1960's Frank Zaic's 48" RC Aero Star image.
I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Aerost11
My kit box label
Does this look toy-like enough?  lol!
Relax, I think you will find yourself in very comfortable territory. Stereo

Ha ha ha!...would be funny if their space ship suddenly dissappered powered by a Cox 049!!
guess I have been borged then.
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed May 18, 2022 3:19 pm

Woody wrote:Ha ha ha!...would be funny if their space ship suddenly disappeared powered by a Cox 049!!
guess I have been borged then.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that. Now that you're building, they have the leader. Very Happy

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX 2021-015

Plus, now that you are building, I guess you are living your dream job! Very Happy

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX 2018-098

And, mufflers? Who needs them?  Very Happy

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX 2020-040
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Empty Enya 15CXS

Post  Tony08 Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:35 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:

I beg to differ that these engines have similar power to a 0.10 engine. They most definitely are not. I have 4 Enya 15CXS and they are real screamers. This engine is not happy with 8in or larger props. With an APC 8x5 and 15% nitro fuel, it turns at just 12,900 rpm - 200 rpm slower than my humble OS 15LAS (plain bearing sports engine). However with an APC 7x4 and 7x5, it'll turn 18,000 and 19,260 rpm respectively. I currently have one on a rat racer and it has recorded 20,700 rpm with an APC 6.5x5 and 15% nitro on crankcase pressure and a modified venturi. With 25% nitro, the rpm sounded higher but I didn't have my tachometer then so wasn't able to record the actual rpm. The 15CXS descended from an engine that started as an engine for RC buggies. They have port timings which are more suited for high rpm use and will perform poorly if over propped.
Tony08
Tony08
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:27 pm

That is an interesting experienced observation, @Tony08. Enya's other engines, especially their legacy cross scavenged were known to be torque engines, able to turn larger or steeper pitched props albeit at lower peak RPM's. This is one of the reasons why I gravitated toward the older style engines, being a sport flyer. So, the .15CX is best suited toward forms of racing and fast flying, a style that some of our posters here are really in love with, fulfills their need for speed. Very Happy

Along a similar vein, I've decided to revisit my 1959 46" Berkeley Impulse build. It has a narrow front engine bulkhead because it was originally designed to use a Fox .09 Rocket side port engine, which is narrow. (Has same intake technology as the A.C. Gilbert .11 Thunderhead but that engine is a no-go as it's beam width exceeds cheek cowl space.) Early one some time back when I purchased, had a hard time getting it to run, but since listening to others, have learned a few things more to get it to run reliably.

Similar to the CX, it loves smaller props basically spinning them at speeds similar to the Tee Dee .049 engine. Am told best prop seems to be a 6x3, but I have a dozen Tornado 7x2 wood Plastikotes, which should be about its speed and put the air out further for better thrust. Plus, it will help to better balance the aircraft as its shorter nose will appreciate the engine's heavier weight at 4 oz.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:37 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:That is an interesting experienced observation, @Tony08. Enya's other engines, especially their legacy cross scavenged were known to be torque engines, able to turn larger or steeper pitched props albeit at lower peak RPM's. This is one of the reasons why I gravitated toward the older style engines, being a sport flyer. So, the .15CX is best suited toward forms of racing and fast flying, a style that some of our posters here are really in love with, fulfills their need for speed. Very Happy

Along a similar vein, I've decided to revisit my 1959 46" Berkeley Impulse build. It has a narrow front engine bulkhead because it was originally designed to use a Fox .09 Rocket side port engine, which is narrow. (Has same intake technology as the A.C. Gilbert .11 Thunderhead but that engine is a no-go as it's beam width exceeds cheek cowl space.) Early one some time back when I purchased, had a hard time getting it to run, but since listening to others, have learned a few things more to get it to run reliably.

Similar to the CX, it loves smaller props basically spinning them at speeds similar to the Tee Dee .049 engine. Am told best prop seems to be a 6x3, but I have a dozen Tornado 7x2 wood Plastikotes, which should be about its speed and put the air out further for better thrust. Plus, it will help to better balance the aircraft as its shorter nose will appreciate the engine's heavier weight at 4 oz.

If you look at the "old" Enya .15 (cross scavenge) engine, the bore/stroke is 14.7mm x 14.4mm = 2.44cc (.148 cu.in.)
and suggested prop from Enya is: 8~9 x 5~3
running on 5~15% Nitro

The data on the 15CX is: bore/stroke 15.5mm x 13mm = 2.44cc (.149 cu.in.)
and suggested prop from Enya is: 7~9 x 6~4
Also, running on 15~25% Nitro

The Enya .15CX was 1st used for the R/C cars for high RPMs, just like the Enya .09 (Quicky) engine Enya made for a few years.
With the cars they needed fast revving engines to jet out of the turns down the straightaway to the next turn and do it again & again. With the short stroke, you can get more torque/high revving engines over the longer slower long stroke engines.
An example to the extreme (long stroke) is a Mills engine which has a long stroke (small bore) that swings a prop at a slower speed.
But now electric cars have taken over and these engines needed another outlet for consumption.

These "two" engines like the smaller props and high revving because of the piston/sleeve being ABC and not the "old" steel lapped piston/sleeve. (info. from Enya's spec. sheet).
This also includes the Enya Ultra11CX TN which also has the ABC piston/sleeve.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:26 am

Tony08 wrote:
I beg to differ that these engines have similar power to a 0.10 engine. They most definitely are not.

However with an APC 7x4 and 7x5, it'll turn 18,000 and 19,260 rpm respectively.

Yes, perhaps not quite as slow as a typical .10 engine, but it also depends on which engine one compares too. Which muffler were you using?

Here are some numbers from other engines on APC 7x4 props (and 10% nitro fuel):
OS .12CV: 19800rpm
ASP .15: 19500rpm
MVVS .15: 20300rpm
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:57 am

Here are some issues that I've found that might be holding the engine back, in terms of power:
- the ballbearings are very tight (the front one is not the C3 type)
- the RC carb might be a little small for a .15 engine (5.5 mm bore)
- the relief of the piston skirt will give SPI (which is not good in combination with a muffler)

Below is an image of the SPI issue, it is only on one side. I wonder if perhaps the reliefs of the piston skirt are misaligned on mine (or if the piston should be turned the other way around, I will have to check for that).

I have just bought a new Enya 15 CX Spi10
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down