Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Cox_ba12

*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Empty
Live on Patrol

*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY?

Go down

Thinking *** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY?

Post  sosam117 Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:14 pm

I ordered some gaskets, screws, locking levers for 06 diesel engines, Enya 10 silencers/mufflers, three 09-IV carbs. and some Enya boxes.
And 2 each of 049/.06/.08 and .10 crankcases.

Well, I was happy when the box showed up yesterday (27/12/2022)
Going thru the box for what I ordered:

10 x Enya boxes -- check
3 x 09-IV carbs -- check
17 x 10 silencers/mufflers --- short qty. of three on this ordered item (o.k.?)
20 x gaskets for 049/06/08 and 10 carbs. --- check
20 x gaskets for 049/06/08 and 10 backplate. --- check
32 x screws for 06/08/10 engines --- check
5 x locking lever for 06 diesel engines --- check
No crankcases?

Now with the problems:
No crankcases in the box ---- I checked and was not charged for them. Have emailed Ken to find out why no crankcases?

The "Five" locking levers that I ordered. No exactly the correct part, but the packaging was the correct number?
I ordered Part #06D208A and received Part #06D208 in the package.

*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Lock_l10

WRONG PART IN THE PACKAGING ----- COMPRESSION LEVER IN THE LOCKING LEVER PACKAGE?
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? 007_pa10

Next is the thirty-two M3.6mm screws I ordered for the 06/08/10 engines.
What I got were M2.3mm that fit the 049 engine which is way undersized for the bigger engines.

*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? C-m2_310

The gaskets ---- nothing was wrong with them.

The "seventeen" Enya 10 silencers/mufflers.
I couldn't wait to install them on some of the Enya 10 engines as every time I ordered parts I always would ask for five or so Enya 10 silencers/mufflers.
Well, Ken said in an email that he had "twenty", so I ordered them all, but only seventeen were delivered.
Upon receiving them I started to install the muffler on one of the Enya 10 engines, but something didn't look right?
And when I tried to install the muffler where it is supposed to go, it didn't fit?
I looked to make sure that I was inserting the muffler on the correct cooling fin (yep!).
But it still wouldn't close?
I went and got an Enya 10 muffler I knew fit as it was installed on an Enya 10 engine already.
I check and compared the diameter sizes (top and bottom holes on the muffler) of the holes from one muffler to the other and the diameters were very close to being the same using my calipers.

Then I noticed that the exhaust chamber on the one muffler was smaller than the other?
I went and got a 049 muffler. The exhaust chamber was the same size as the muffler that won't go on the Enya 10?
I could 1st understand it? This is a 049 muffler, but the holes were enlarged to the diameter of a 10-cylinder head.
Then I started to look carefully at the differences in the 049 muffler and the 06/08 muffler and the one, 10 muffler I had that I was comparing the non-fitting muffler.

Below are photo differences of the "modified" Enya 049 muffler and an original Enya 10 muffler.

"NEW ENYA 10 MUFFLER" NOT FITTING
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -e-_en10

NEW ENYA 10 MUFFLER ON THE LEFT / ORIGINAL ENYA 10 MUFFLER ON THE RIGHT
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -n-clo10

PROBLEM 049 MUFFLER WON'T WORK IS FIN DEPTH ON THE 049 FIN IS 2.5MM
PROBLEM 06/08 AND 10 FIN DEPTH IS CLOSE TO 5MM

*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -o-_ho10
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -p-_ho10
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -r-_cy10

And I have "seventeen" of these modified 049 mufflers that won't even now fit an 049 engine
And no one at Enya checked to see modifying the 049 muffler would work?

*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Total_10

On to the Ena 09-IV carbs
It looks like these too were modified from one part number to another.
Part #19440 for the Enya 19-IV was modified to be a carb for the 09-IV.
The body of the carb is from the part #19440 where the neck that slips into the engine was shortened from the 19-IV length to the 09-IV length and then drilled and retapped for the carb retaining screws.
The carb drum is the diameter for a 09-intake manifold bit the carb body is 1.5mm bigger.
I guess it will work as the barrel is the correct diameter size as if it were a complete 09 carb. assembly?
The black ring is the rubber gasket for the carb.
It is the correct dia. to fit a 19-IV carb throat but is way oversized for the 09 modified carb.

Below are photos if the throat part that was shortened, redrilled and tapped for the carb screws.
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Img_0182
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Img_0181
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Img_0180

And Last were the "ten" Enya boxes ----- no problems (look nice)

I'm guessing that they are modifying original inventory parts to try to cover the parts they no longer have "in stock"
One way to reduce what inventory you have left and want to get rid of? But they should see "if" will work first?

Like before, I emailed Ken Enya of all of the problem that I have encountered with my parts order.
It might be a few days before I get a reply (because of the Holidays?)
I'll let you guys know.

This has been the most disappointing shipment of parts that I have received from Enya.

Last edited by sosam117 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: *** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY?

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:28 pm

Wow, you certainly did inherit a can of worms with that order. I'd never expect such major mismatches in fitment from an OEM. Looks like the machinist that they had do the work, didn't know what he was doing, may be very inexperienced.

Seems Ken is your go to man, hopefully he can get this botched order fixed for you or at least a refund on the botched parts plus pro-rated shipping.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: *** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY?

Post  sosam117 Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:13 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Wow, you certainly did inherit a can of worms with that order. I'd never expect such major mismatches in fitment from an OEM. Looks like the machinist that they had do the work, didn't know what he was doing, may be very inexperienced.

Seems Ken is your go to man, hopefully he can get this botched order fixed for you or at least a refund on the botched parts plus pro-rated shipping.

At least the muffler for the 06/08 engine would be a better fit and easier to modify than the 049 muffler.
With the 06/08 muffler, the diameters for where the cylinder clamps onto would just have to be resized bigger to fit the 10 cylinder.
I have done it one time and it does fit nicely --- sold the Enya .10 (with that muffler) to a friend who wanted one for his collection.

I think they have a surplus stock of 049 mufflers because I have tried to order the 06/08 mufflers and those have not been added in the last three orders that I placed (this year).
The production on the 06 probably was much more than the 049, so they might have more mufflers left over from the 049 than the 06 supply and the best way to reduce stock is to repurpose it?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:43 pm

sosam117 wrote:The production on the 06 probably was much more than the 049, so they might have more mufflers left over from the 049 than the 06 supply and the best way to reduce stock is to repurpose it?
There's nothing wrong with repurposing something as long as it works and fits properly, as far as I can see. I have a very nice low mileage 1965 OS Max .10R/C with a muffler for the .15 Max. It fits the .10 perfectly, because both engines have the same exhaust port dimensions. A bonus is that the larger chamber is less restrictive in flow especially at full throttle, so it silences effectively while taking little off the top end.

The difference between a .049 and .06 is only .01 difference, so I'd think the .049 muffler remachined to fit a .06 would still be a reasonable runner.

I think there was gross error in production, where the machinist didn't first run a test case, do a trial fit. Then once he got all the dimensional problems resolved, then complete his run. Also, it would be necessary to check that there wasn't significant dimensional variations between say, the .06 line of engines, so that he'd check back with his supervisor to see if fit for other models need to be taken into account also.

There could be good in this. May be Ken Enya will make things right by giving you something additional in return to help mend things for a faithful, long time customer.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:45 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
The difference between a .049 and .06 is only .01 difference, so I'd think the .049 muffler remachined to fit a .06 would still be a reasonable runner.

It is not about the displacement size. It is the clearances to fit around the cylinder.

The size difference between the 049 muffler and the 06/08 and 10 mufflers are very different.
Besides the 049 muffler has a smaller exhaust cavity compared to the 06/08 and 10 mufflers (more restriction).
The other is the fins on the 06/08 and 10 are bigger compared to the 049 cylinder.

Besides I'm wanting to have the muffler fit an Enya .10 and not the 06 and I tried that modified muffler on an 06 and an 08 and that modified muffler doesn't fit them either.

1st two photos are photos of the .049 engine and the cylinder dia.
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Img_0183
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Img_0184

Next photos are photos of the .06 engine and the cylinder dia.
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Img_0185
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Img_0186

Now the photos of the .08 engine and the cylinder dia.
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Img_0187
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Img_0188

Last is the photos of the .10 engine and the cylinder dia.
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Img_0190
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? Img_0189

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the main problem is the Clearance inside the muffler where there is a relief for the clearance of the colling fins.
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -r-_cy11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Depth of the 06/08 and 10 colling fins ---- 5mm deep
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -j-_1010

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clearance depth on the modified 049 muffler ----- It is only 2mm depth ----- needs to be 5mm
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -k-_no10

It all has to do with the hole placement for the clearance on the front of the muffler.
The 049 muffler has only 2mm clearance
The 06/08 and 10 need to have 5mm clearance on the front of the muffler (inside).

To make a .049 muffler really work is to move the holes (top and bottom) that clamp around the muffler back towards the exhaust chamber about 3mm so the front of the muffler has the 5mm clearance.
Then do the same for the fin relief on the inside of the muffler.
Problem is that the holes are already molded when the entire muffler is molded.
And if you try to rework the current holes, then you'll have egg-shaped holes that won't seal around the cylinder causing the egg-shaped holes to leak.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:50 am

Interesting, poor adaptation, also they ruined those mufflers so they now can't be used on the original engines.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:41 am

Man that is FooBar , I am sure Ken will get to the bottom of the problem and make it right to you ! Happy New Year
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:32 pm

getback wrote:Man that is FooBar , I am sure Ken will get to the bottom of the problem and make it right to you ! Happy New Year

Well, Enya probably don't have the skilled workforce that they use to have.
That is one reason I retired from the job I had as my company was hiring "bodies" to work no matter what their skill level was.
Barely a high school diploma.

Long story short:
I told him, they hosed me year after year on bad contracts, I have no reason to come back, unless I get 1 million in cost of living, profit sharing, 8 years on my pension and stock options that I was denied for 35 years paid to me first.

6 years now and nothing?

sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Thinking Update ----- my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY?

Post  sosam117 Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:57 am

After almost 2 weeks and a 2nd email to him, I received a reply.
I received an email from Ken Enya about the problem with the mufflers that don't really fit the Enya .10 engines.

see the photos below:
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -r-_cy12
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -e-_en11
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -o-_ho11
*** UPDATE *** Received my Enya parts order --- NOT EXACTLY ENYA'S TOP QUALITY? -p-_ho11

Here is Ken's response (email -- copied and pasted)

Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2023 3:24 AM
To: M. Mxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ***Attention *** Ken Enya ---- 2nd email of muffler problem --- please respond

Dear Michael McIntyre,

Thank you for using our products and thank you for your inquiry.

The current muffler for the 10 is based on the 049.
The original model for the 10 is no longer available.
I have to check to see if the 049 will attach to the engine,
but if there is a problem, I am willing to return it (for a refund).

If you have question, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Ken Enya

ENYA METAL PRODUCTS CO., LTD.   ------------
16-3 Chikumazawa-higashi, Miyoshi-machi, Iruma-gun,
Saitama, 354-0046 Japan
PHONE: +81-49-259-5783  FAX: +81-49-259-3075
Business hours: 9:00 to 17:00 (+0900) / Monday to Friday
E-MAIL: sales@enya-engine.com
URL: http://www.enya-engine.com/index_E.htm
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:40 am

I see the predicament more clearly now. one of the adjacent cylinder fins fits inside the grooved clearance in the .10 muffler. There is insufficient clearance for it with the .049 muffler. The .049 muffler doesn't fit and properly seal if the cooling fin is just outside instead of inside the muffler? Doesn't fit if muffler is flipped over?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:43 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:I see the predicament more clearly now. one of the adjacent cylinder fins fits inside the grooved clearance in the .10 muffler. There is insufficient clearance for it with the .049 muffler. The .049 muffler doesn't fit and properly seal if the cooling fin is just outside instead of inside the muffler? Doesn't fit if muffler is flipped over?

It doesn't fit any way you try to flip it / turn it / any which way.
It was just not designed to be modified from an .049 muffler to a .10 muffler.
The fins on the .049 are smaller, whereas the .10 fins are twice the size.

Like trying to install a Cox .049 car muffler onto a Cox Tee Dee .09 engine. Can you do that?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:19 pm

sosam117 wrote:Like trying to install a Cox .049 car muffler onto a Cox Tee Dee .09 engine. Can you do that?
I kind of think that the engine like the Coxes, prefers to be unmuffled for best flights. Muffler was an evil required of places needing the bark toned down. With double the displacement volume, one would expect that the exhaust output would be doubled, too.

I am a little surprised that someone didn't think this through clearly, before attempting such a production run. I gather that Ken Enya probably wasn't fully involved with that decision to go that direction. So, his reply back appears to be without his full knowledge, too, more of a pass through mediator.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:01 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
sosam117 wrote:Like trying to install a Cox .049 car muffler onto a Cox Tee Dee .09 engine. Can you do that?
I kind of think that the engine like the Coxes, prefers to be unmuffled for best flights. Muffler was an evil required of places needing the bark toned down. With double the displacement volume, one would expect that the exhaust output would be doubled, too.

I am a little surprised that someone didn't think this through clearly, before attempting such a production run. I gather that Ken Enya probably wasn't fully involved with that decision to go that direction. So, his reply back appears to be without his full knowledge, too, more of a pass through mediator.

The Enya company was sold to Shioya Manufacturing Company in 2013.
The reason for the change of address years ago.
I think Ken Enya is there as some kind of consultant / advisor?

Enya has not really produced any engines like they did for years.
It seems more like they are only a parts supplier and when all the parts are gone, they'll close up shop?

Someone probably thought that just a little machining could change a .049 muffler to a .10 muffler.
Even though the chamber size of the .049is way smaller than the .06/,08 and 10 muffler by quite a bit.

They probably had plenty of .049 mufflers on hand (in stock) and tried to repurpose it for the other engines as they might be low or out of the mufflers for the other size engines (.06 /.08 and .10). though the mufflers look the same? (almost)
Only "IF" someone was smart enough to try one muffler and then see "if" that would work instead of just modifying the .049 muffler, then passing them off as .06/.08 and .10 mufflers.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:36 pm

sosam117 wrote:The Enya company was sold to Shioya Manufacturing Company in 2013. [...] I think Ken Enya is there as some kind of consultant / advisor?
Yes, that is my impression. He may be helping them on the side out of professional courtesy, since these used to be his products.

sosam117 wrote:Enya has not really produced any engines like they did for years. It seems more like they are only a parts supplier and when all the parts are gone, they'll close up shop?
Sometimes I wonder if Shioya may be operating similar to MECOA. There is a definite modeling interest, but done as a side interest, and perhaps not with the intense interest as with the original manufacturer? Thus as in MECOA, many parts are now sold out? But, they do seem to do limited production run of parts they perceive there is a reasonable demand for. (Example, Medallion plastic venturis.)

sosam117 wrote:Only "IF" someone was smart enough to try one muffler and then see "if" that would work instead of just modifying the .049 muffler, then passing them off as .06/.08 and .10 mufflers.
Yes, that was my general impression. May be someone who just follows orders, but doesn't know how to read into owner's intent to satisfy the customer. The fact you pointed this out to Ken will allow him to go to their management and point out the problems. It may help from other mistakes being continued and help them fix their internal management system.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down