Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Cox_ba12

Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Today at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Today at 4:32 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:31 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Today at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Yesterday at 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Yesterday at 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Yesterday at 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Empty
Live on Patrol

Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true!

Go down

Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Empty Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true!

Post  sosam117 Tue May 17, 2022 7:14 am

Purchased an Enya .049 from R/C Groups and the title was "ENYA .049-II T.V New In Box with muffler"

Well I received the engine yesterday (May 16,2022) and it was gummed up and not able to rotate.
I heated up the engine and was able to get the piston to move.
While it was "hot" I removed the cylinder head and as I expected as the engine was not moving freely that it really was run and for some time.

The top of the piston had plenty of carbon on the top of it.
Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Carbon10

The wear on the piston is very evident:
Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Wear_o10

And the back plate had evidence of it being run and that the engines was mounted onto the firewall by the marks on the back plate.
Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Back_p12

One last thing was the piston is suppose to rotate freely like a Cox piston and con rod.
Well they were gummed up as well:
Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Enya_424
Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Enya_425

So,
I cleaned up the engine, freed up the piston so it spins freely, fixed the rubbing of the crank on the backplate, removed the carbon from the top of the piston, and rebuilt the engine with all new gaskets.

Piston without the carbon buildup:
Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Carbon11

Now it turns freely, and looks like a "New in the box" engine with muffler.
Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Enya_171

For $156.00 it was not that bad, plus the cost of new gaskets ( $1.83 for backplate and $1.67 for carb.)

sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Empty Re: Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true!

Post  sosam117 Tue May 17, 2022 3:42 pm

Got a reply from the seller that Enya runs their engines -- usually runs about an ounce of fuel thru the engine before releasing it.
He really didn't see any mounting marks on it anywhere?
If I'm not happy with the engine ship it back and he'll refund my money.

He purchased the engine about a year ago from another seller on R/C Group classified and that seller had it as "New in box" never mounted.
And the seller I got it from didn't check the engine over when he first got it, and he wasn't going to do anything with it after he go it so he decided to then sell, which I then bought it.

I replied to him that the engine should have been titled lightly used but like new.
And I told him that I installed new gaskets and cleaned the engine so it is like new.
So, I'm keeping the engine but will not give him any trader rating (good or bad)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Empty diferent consumer laws in diferent countries

Post  cmulder Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:24 pm

I have little experience buying used from the states.

If there is any country i like to buy from most is Germany.
Even from private sellers every item i got included a copy of german consumer laws explaining my rights.

Item descriptions are usually "conservative"  if stated new you are guaranteed its new.
As a result many items are listed as "broken"  "untested"  or my  favorite; "hobby schrott"  schrott meaning scrap metal.
And yes those are priced to match.

Got some great bargains that way that only needed some cleaning and polishing to get going again.
ALso Germans are verry direct in there comunication; yes is yes, no is no; no time waisted.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Empty Re: Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true!

Post  andrew Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:07 pm

sosam117 wrote:
So,
I cleaned up the engine, freed up the piston so it spins freely, fixed the rubbing of the crank on the backplate, removed the carbon from the top of the piston, and rebuilt the engine with all new gaskets.

Now it turns freely, and looks like a "New in the box" engine with muffler.
Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! Enya_171

Beautiful restoration!

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:56 am

sosam117 wrote:Got a reply from the seller that Enya runs their engines -- usually runs about an ounce of fuel thru the engine before releasing it.
He really didn't see any mounting marks on it anywhere?
If I'm not happy with the engine ship it back and he'll refund my money.

He purchased the engine about a year ago from another seller on R/C Group classified and that seller had it as "New in box" never mounted.
And the seller I got it from didn't check the engine over when he first got it, and he wasn't going to do anything with it after he go it so he decided to then sell, which I then bought it.

I replied to him that the engine should have been titled lightly used but like new.
And I told him that I installed new gaskets and cleaned the engine so it is like new.
So, I'm keeping the engine but will not give him any trader rating (good or bad)

I think that like in all parts of the world, sometimes there are people who are not honest or who do not comply with the nobility.
I believe that being noble or serious is something that differentiates every human being, no matter where they come from or where they are from. Sometimes you find really serious sellers and others who are a bad experience.
If your engine was listed as new, you should have received a new engine. There's no other way.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:40 am

Yes, such frauds often happen in remote purchase situations like ebay, where you are relying on the promises of the seller that may or may not be true.

Some years ago I got a TeeDee051 off of ebay in a crystal box, that was supposed to be new in box NIB.

Now that I build my Tigercat pylon racer, and was looking at my TeeDee051 fleet to select its engine from, the NIB TeeDee051 crystal boxed engine turns out to feature:

1. Thick wall cylinder with no taper bore - crystal box genuine TeeDee-s had either thin wall or stepped wall cylinders with taper bore

2. The No. 2 on the left mounting tab of the crankcase is missing...so I have a first generation TeeDee051 cranckase with a last generation cylinder-piston combo

3. The venturi has screen on it, that came only with later generation TeeDee-s post 1972

Purchased a supposedly never run engine (Enya .049) --- not true! 20220916

All in all I am looking at a Frankenstein engine, that may have been a 1st generation TeeDee051 with the crankcase without No2 stamped on it (possibly from the late (1960-s), a unscreened venturi pre 1972, and taper bore, thin wall or stepped wall cylinder, that the previous owner doctored with a later generation no-taper thick wall cylinder and screened venturi.

Or, the other way around, a 1975 Tee Dee whose No 2 stamped crankcase was replaced with an older, unstamped crankcase

The Litho on the Instruction sheet footer says the paper was printed - and thus the engine built - back in November 1975...I doubt the paperwork and the engine itself belong to each other, my seller has sold me a Frankenstein package.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:00 am

Of course it is something very probable as I have already said some people take advantage of a lot of new old stock parts and assemble engines with mabe this crankcase and crank and plus Without knowing it could even be a new piece made by bernie and matt place in a old box It's displeasing to believe you have one thing to realize that it's something else This does not make this engine a bad engine just a little less reliable than the original I believe in my opinion Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 stil best engine in the world Thumbs Up
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:25 pm

Well, with the engines that I recently purchased from Ken Enya (on a deal), I was informed by Ken of the mix of some of the problems that I was getting.
Some were taken apart and rebuilt by Enya but were stuck for sitting for so long.
Others were never rebuilt and was received from customers as "trade ins. and those were segregated as to their conditions.
Last are engines missing parts, which I hope I can get?

See the last ones that I have reworked and cleaned up ----- now are my newest gems in my collection.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t16638-enya-engines-deal-from-ken-three-09-ii-done-and-a-mikoken-enya-049-dieselspecial
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down