Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Gilbert, something a little different Cox_ba12

Gilbert, something a little different Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 3:23 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Gilbert, something a little different Empty
Live on Patrol

Gilbert, something a little different

Go down

Gilbert, something a little different Empty Gilbert, something a little different

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:11 pm

ebay, couldn't resist. Looks like Levent might have owned at one time.

Gilbert, something a little different Gil_di10
Gilbert, something a little different Gil_di11
Gilbert, something a little different Gilber22

Missing exhaust stacks. Sad
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Gilbert, something a little different Empty Re: Gilbert, something a little different

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:31 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Missing exhaust stacks. Sad

Ah, but it has the correct prop and spinner.
I see no staining on the white parts. Maybe painted??
Even better, maybe never fuelled.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Gilbert, something a little different Empty Re: Gilbert, something a little different

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:41 am

I don't know, stars and bars could be airbrushed or cut of vinyl, checkerboard patten must be commercial. All nicely done but could be a big disapppointment. The staining on the canopys clip indicates that it has been fueled and ran. But we will see.

Whoever did it had a talent that I don't.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:45 pm

Nice plane. Pictures are a bit confusing to me though, maybe just the angle at what they were taken. Is the wing flat in that shape, or is it a gull-wing?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:22 pm

NEW222 wrote:Nice plane. Pictures are a bit confusing to me though, maybe just the angle at what they were taken. Is the wing flat in that shape, or is it a gull-wing?

Flatter than a pancake Chancey.

Gilbert, something a little different P1013417
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:45 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me. The pictures sure played mind games with me earlier!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:43 pm

Looking at the shape of the wing, you might almost assume that the original design had a balance problem, so the wing was shifted back half and inch or so.
Then again, they might have just been trying to cash in on the stylish leading edge design of the Mustang.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:19 am

It's design is different from most plastic airplanes, seem's that Gilbert was serious about flying and did not attempt to "clone" any established military or civilian design.  From the position of the engine to the fuel tank, to the complicated and yet to be understood bell crank, to the airfoil wing and large tail surfaces, it, unlike the majority of plastic models was meant to be flown.  

Additionally, it's ease of disassembly/assembly, multiple drain holes in the fuselage, strong landing gear reenforced to the fuselage with four guide posts and a plate, threaded engine mounts secured with washers, lock washers, spacers and a securing nut ensure that the motor will stay in place.

I'm yet to understand those horizontal and vertical leadout holes in the wing guide.

Gilbert, something a little different P1013418

And, there is something to be said about locating the needle valve back away from the propeller.

By the way, I snipped off those fishermans thingies.

BTW 2. If you think working with a plastic airplane is easy. It's not. Give me a balsa airplane anytime for ease in build/repair.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:42 am

Bob,
Since you have a full-on Gilbert plane/engine combo, I'd like for you to entertain a notion please.

You mentioned tank placement. Is the tank centered on the spare bar's jet/hole? I ask because this engine appears to favor a high-mounted tank with the intake port so high.

I just got through reading an older thread about the Gilbert .11, and it was mentioned that an All American Trainer (26") would be an ideal plane for this engine. That plane is a low/mid-wing model with the crank centerline up high in the nose. Considering tanks are "supposed to be" centered on the spray bar, or rather, the center of the venturi where the NVA passes, in this model this leaves little room for a shallow, but long tank above the wing.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=347

I'm considering modifying the AA to be shoulder-wing with inverted engine and the tank down low. Moving the engine upright, but low so the tank is above the wing will only lead to prop strikes.

What do you think? Your answers regarding Gilbert's OEM solution will be of significant influence.

Oh, and an alternative plane may be to provide Capt Black Hawk another 27" Mosquito, but with upright Gilberts and the tanks ABOVE the wing. He still needs a ride, and I kept the canopy from the last one...just in case. Anyway, that places the tanks centered on the NVA, and gets the tanks away from controls. Even better may be to invert, or sidewind the engines, mount the tanks as appropriate (sidewinders would have the venturies inboard with tanks also inboard) and move controls above the wings  The bonus is I get to use the two Gilberts that fell into my lap.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 944_Jim on Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added thoughts)

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:47 pm

HIya Bob! You have been rescuing these AC Gilberts, so you might know if this one is worth the asking price. It's on Facebook and ships from Ohio.
 Gilbert, something a little different Scree183

Gilbert, something a little different Scree184
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:33 pm

Jim, review this thread, it will answer some of your questions. Kim running it and his picture of the position of the fuel tank relative to the engine. George's interest in the AA also.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t16249-bob-s-gilbert-skyflash-bob-s-extra-11-runs-on-a-test-stand?highlight=gilbert

Rene, for that price (about what I paid for the subject model) I would jump on it. Trainer version with clear windshields, engine complete with exhaust stacks, and a different spinner from the button type usually seen. Had it been on ebay BIN for that price it would be mine. But then, I'm just a wild and crazy guy...........Smile

Gilbert, something a little different Gilber23
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:18 pm

Got the starry Gilbert today.  Vinyl appliques over paint, nicely done.  Asked the seller if it had been fueled and flown, I'm pretty sure it has.  Don't want to take apart to find out.  It remains a shelf queen.  

Gilbert, something a little different P1013425
Gilbert, something a little different P1013427

Rene, did you ever inquire about the one you pictured?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down