Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Cox_ba12

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:10 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!!

Go down

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Empty Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!!

Post  Kim Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:27 am

"Mud Dabber" gets dragged into the New Millennium...22 years late.

So I wanted to maybe take Mud Dabber to the SIRS Fly-In that's coming up in a couple weeks.

Their theme is "Old Airplanes with Old Stories".

Well, that's me and Mud Dabber for sure.  You know you might be a dinosaur when Disco and your model airplane were new at the same time...

And, as much as I'd like to to take the old Kadet Mk1 to the party as-is, I've decided to replace the ancient "coffee-grinder servos" (trust me...if you heard them operate, you'd know) with almost equally ancient, but New-Old-Stock servos from my radio graveyard.

Also, it'll be getting it's commands from my new DX-10 transmitter and a new Spektrum receiver...though it won't look quite right without it's antenna dangling in the breeze.  I may have to make up a fake one for nostalgic effect.  

Now begins the somewhat tedious job of matching up the polarities of all these dissimilar gadgets, and hopefully not having an Electron War toast anything, new or old...

And, BEFORE any of my buds start planning an "INTERVENTION"-- hauling me off to a safe house 'till I recover my senses--rest assured that the same, equally-as-ancient-as-everything-else O.S. .35FP engine, will STILL be slinging castor on itself and everything else nearby...just like always.

Anyway, Mud Dabber is front & center on the table, and receiving its dose of R/C heresy.

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 100_35

"You Kids Get OFFA My Table!!!!"
Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 110_111
Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 115_13
Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 120_110

Last edited by Kim on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Empty Re: Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!!

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:12 pm

Kim, is that bird oil soaked? I have to wonder because I can see that baby has some mileage on it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Empty Re: Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!!

Post  Kim Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:20 pm

Ken Cook wrote:           Kim, is that bird oil soaked? I have to wonder because I can see that baby has some mileage on it.

Yep...it's packing its fair share of old castor.  I was able to replace its nose (the third time) by running some hard balsa sheet back to some relatively clean balsa back to the fuse's front bulkhead.  Everything seems pretty tight...thanks to C.A.!

The old dog has seen some rough times down through the decades!
Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Mud_da36

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Mud_da38

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Mud_da37

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Mud_da39
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:45 pm

I can't get enough of the Dabber Kim.  Just put a no smoking sign on her and set her off into the wild blue.

Add a small chip player and speaker playing this blasting away while doing loops in the sky.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=donna+macarthur&&view=detail&mid=D3ABE56D20E3E4E3D479D3ABE56D20E3E4E3D479&&FORM=VDRVRV

Richard Harris owns this song though.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:22 am

Is your Max-S a .25 or a .35? I have a few of them myself some being r/c. When they're nice and broken in, they're about the smoothest engine I've come across. I have a very early MAX .20 which has no muffler provisions externally or within the exhaust stack. I rarely come across them. Whoever owned it prior to me obviously wasn't aware of it's digestion system and totally smoked the piston sleeve. I can see inside it has a blue/gray look to it. A real shame . I hope to find a piston sleeve for it some day just to put it back to it's glory.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:12 am

Yeah,
Mud Dabber's O.S. is a .35.  I'd been calling it an "FP", all these years, but apparently, it's an older "S" model.

I was introduced to the O.S. brand in the mid-1970's by control line flying bud Kevin.  He was the first of our bunch to fly proportional R/C, and taught me to fly with his Kadet Mk1.  At the time, none of us had much experince with throttled engines...mostly throttle-band .049's and a couple McCoys.

Originally, he had a Fox .25 or some such on his plane, but could not get a dependable idle from it.  The engine was new out of the box, we had new fuel, and a good tank installation, did a long long break-in, everything by-the-book, but the Fox would just not run at lower rpm's.  He still flew it quite a bit, using the throttle to shut it down for dead stick landings.

He got the O.S. .35 bolted to his Kadet, and we both just stared at it on its first run.  The thing idled like an electric motor, right out of the box.  This literally opened up a new world for us, with super slow, main gear only touch & goes, and "propeller hanging" slow flight around the field.

We were somewhat the odd balls of the time, as everyone around us seemed obsessed with pushing Mach 2 behind some super tuned pipe monster, and here we were, "The Driving Miss Daisy" version of R/C. Very Happy

This flying is what brought me to build Mud Dabber a few years later with, of course, the venerable O.S. hauling the model into the air.

As a side-note:

While still flying with the Fox, we decided it would be a great idea to fly his Kadet from our beloved Olmsted ball field to Uncle Wayne's house, 15 miles away...with a couple fueling stops at places we'd picked out.

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 51_23

I'd suggested taking off down the first base line, and spiraling up and out of the park, avoiding the power lines between the light poles.  But Kevin insisted that the mighty Fox had the ponies to just haul straight out from home plate, across the pitcher's mound, with a climb out over the wires.  It was his plane, and he DID have a lot more flying time than me, so...

As Maxwell Smart would say, "Missed it by THAT much!"

The climb rate wasn't as expected, and at the last instant, Kevin cranked the Kadet into a right turn to avoid the wires, but instead, hit them with its left wing.  The wires notched into the wing, bringing it to an abrupt halt, snapping the fuse loose, with the still-at-full-power Fox pile driving it into the ground.

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 52_18

This was the first (and only) instance where we had a plane try to catch fire, with a puff of smoke coming from the shattered/shorted nicad case trying to light up the debris field.  A bit of stomping and kicking eliminated that threat. The nose and tail actually looked pretty good, with everything in between turned to confetti.

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 53_15

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Kevin_10

We got the wing down using some borrowed tennis balls, and it was mostly undamaged...save for the prominent chunk missing from its left leading edge.

Kevin scratched out a new fuselage from the full-size plans included with the Kadet, and added the new O.S. engine.

This new fuselage was also destroyed in an ill-thought-out recovery from a steep power dive that popped the rubberbands from its wings.  

It again had a new fuselage built for it, but this time, Kevin scratched out a "Bananza" -ish design of his own, with huge ruddervators, and strip-ailerons added to the wing.  Once he got the crazy-sensitive throws adjusted, we flew together many times with my Shoestring, both packing O.S. .35's.

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 7_66

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 8_52

Sorry for the novel...I made a big pot of coffee this morning...

Last edited by Kim on Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:53 pm; edited 5 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:23 pm

Kim, I love reading this stuff. I recently came across one of my dad's r/c jobs. I don't know the name of the plane but it's a high wing with dihedral. The tips though are beveled from the top of the wing to the underside. This was how I could always designate this design plane. I don't know if it was Sig. I never flew r/c but he did. He would take the wings off and let me run it on the ground which I did quite a bit. The red radio in your last picture also brings back some memories as my dad's was blue but similar case. I think he purchased his from Hobby Lobby? I also remember going to a certain hobby shop for the Burgess black and white striped batteries.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:08 pm

Another super story -- if you keep this up, I'll be expecting a new episode or two each week!!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:14 pm

andrew wrote:Another super story -- if you keep this up, I'll be expecting a new episode or two each week!!

YIKES!!! The Pressure of deadlines!!!! Very Happy Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy

But seriously, thanks man!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:27 am

At this rate, I'll never have a career as a Government Contractor---coming in 3 days AHEAD of schedule...durn!

After a marathon run of fiddling around with stuff in the shop, my ancient Sig Mk1 Kadet, Mud Dabber, was suddenly ready to fly.  

The winds had dropped quite a bit by late afternoon, though still giving Mud Dabber a slight quartering tailwind out of the yard...but I was feeling the MoJo, so we went for it.  Both takeoffs were a bit wobbly, but the old plane managed to stay out of the cedar tree and wires lining its departure, giving me a chance to trim it at a safe altitude.

Note to Self:  NEVER brag about an engine's "great performance" (in this case, Idle Performance) BEFORE some considerable test running.

It could be the tube I stuck on its muffler, the Fox Glow Plug in its head, or perhaps the idle air bleed adjustment, but whatever the cause, my "super dependable" O.S. croaked on both approaches up the chute.

One attempt was high enough to chance (successfully) continuing to a dead stick landing in the yard, while the other was an unceremonious emergency flop into the tall grass of the north pasture.  Thankfully, my landlords' bull showed no interest in me OR my misplaced toy.

On the GOOD side, the washout I had twisted (once again) into its wing was an obvious improvement, with wonderful, straight-ahead stall recoveries.  My good-natured ole bud was for sure back with me.

So now, a bit of running/adjusting on the stand, and we're off again for more adventures.

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 150_12

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 100_36

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! 110_19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfpPZeWSou4
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:19 pm

Great video -- I was holding my breath during your takeoff and adding a little body English to help it up!!

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Thumbs12
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:33 pm

Great video as usual Kim. I still say - Hollywood calls. Maybe more Hitchcock than Spielberg. Smile

First engine cutout, I thought fuel starvation at top of loop, maybe a pickup problem, but the second?

Must be some experience going from the red peril to the yellow peril.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:16 am

Ken Cook wrote:Kim, I love reading this stuff.  The red radio in your last picture also brings back some memories as my dad's was blue but similar case. I think he purchased his from Hobby Lobby? I also remember going to a certain hobby shop for the Burgess black and white striped batteries.

Thanks Ken!
Our radios were both EK Logitrol "Champion" 5-channel radios, and never let us down.  I got mine from Tower Hobbies in 1976, while Kevin got his used from a guy in Cape.  I have to smile (or maybe cringe) at the memory of plugging in the "wall tick" chargers the night before, and just "estimating" their remaining charge as we flew through the day.

Our local General Store actually stocked the Everyready brand of "telephone batteries", and it was only when these went unavailable that I finally went to a power panel.  After wasting money on a couple hobby batteries, I totally quite using them.  Don't know if it was just my examples or not, but they seemed to go dead in a very short time, where my beloved old telephone batteries could be faded and leaking chemicals, and STILL start a plane.

Below, my Shoestring after suffering a Ground Loop/Cartwheel..."Remember to pin your hinges boys and girls!!!".

Note the sun-faded Eveready phone battery that started the thing.

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Shoest13

Memories!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:32 am

andrew wrote:Great video -- I was holding my breath during your takeoff and adding a little body English to help it up!!

Mud Dabber Flys 3 Days Before Deadline!!!! Thumbs12

Thanks Andrew!!! It NEEDED a little help!!!!! RC Plane RC Plane RC Plane Very Happy Very Happy
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:46 am

rsv1cox wrote:Great video as usual Kim. I still say - Hollywood calls.  Maybe more Hitchcock than Spielberg.  Smile

First engine cutout, I thought fuel starvation at top of loop, maybe a pickup problem, but the second?  

Must be some experience going from the red peril to the yellow peril.

I was thinking more like "Twilight Zone", Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm a bit suspicious of the airbleed being clogged with goop, so may look there first.  "Back in the day" the airbleed adjustment was somewhat of a VooDoo item, and I avoided messing with it for fear of causing problems.  Well, "problem" is my middle name now, so it'll get messed with today!  

AND...maybe the old O.S. might like a 9x6 in place of the 10x6 it's currently swinging.  Also got some O.S. glow plugs, so there's that.

Yes...the two "Worlds" are vastly different! Draco has a surplus of power, and it's always there when needed, while the Castor Slingers need a bit more work to get them to behave properly. Really liking both, but it IS a challenge to make my old brain keep sorting the differences!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:22 am

Thanks Kim , enjoyed the story's and video flight , The Dabber looks really Good for a bunch of rebuilds . Hope you get the engine repaired without too much trouble . Very Happy RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:34 am

getback wrote:Thanks Kim , enjoyed the story's and video flight , The Dabber looks really Good for a bunch of rebuilds . Hope you get the engine repaired without too much trouble . Very Happy RC Plane

Thanks Eric!!!!!!!!!!!!! RC Plane
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down