Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Cox_ba12

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:05 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:32 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 11:52 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Empty
Live on Patrol

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Empty Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken

Post  sosam117 Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:51 am

Back in the 1st week in August, I received an email from Ken Enya about a special build for two different size engines.
They were going to be a limited quantity build and be on a 1st come, 1st served bases.

One is the Enya 20-T.V. (and 20-S for control line)
The other for the Enya 36-4C 4-stroke glow engine.

Well, I jumped at the chance and ordered "two" of the Enya 20 (one T.V. and the other U-control)
I also ordered "two" of the Enya 36-4C 4-stroke glow engines.

Of course, you had to prepay for the engines. Which was a good sum for the "four" engines.

Anyway,

Arriving yesterday was the Enya 36-4C 4-stroke engines.
Oh boy --- They arrived! bounce bounce bounce

I opened the box (like a kid on X-mas morning) to look over the 4-stroke engines I received.
Well, Ken didn't disappoint. Inside the box was two beautiful Enya 36-4C 4-stroke engines.

They look like the ones last made over a decade ago?
Only difference was the photocopy instructions and no old Enya brochure of the different engines.

Below are the photos of the engines:
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 001_en23
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 002_en20
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 003_en15
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 004_en14
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 007_en14
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 008_en15
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 005_en14
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 006_en14

These Enya 36-4C 4-stroke glows will match up to the Enya 36-4C diesels that I have.
One of the Enya 36-4C diesels I have run and tinkered with.

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 001_en24
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 007_en15

I just can't wait now for the "Rare" Enya 20 "T.V." and "S" engines to arrive?
bounce bounce

Last edited by sosam117 on Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added diesel engine photos)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Empty Re: Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:15 pm

The diesel is a rare engine.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Empty Re: Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken

Post  sosam117 Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:23 pm

I did a YouTube search for any Enya 36-4C 4-stroke glow and nothing showed up.
There were a few videos of the Enya 36-4C diesel though?

I'd like to see a video on how the 36-4C glow runs and sounds.

I have run the 36-4C diesel and wished that it had a contra piston and compression screw
instead of a dummy glow plug and head shims to get the compression "close enough" to run.
It knocks the worst of all of the diesel engines I have (PAW, MVVS, McCoy, MP Jet, CS-China, Redfin, even the Enya diesels, etc.)
The larger 41-4C diesel that I have knocks just as bad?

And I'm still trying to figure out the prop sizes/fuel/head shims/ glow plug dummy shims as well on the 41-4C so it doesn't knock so much?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Empty Enya

Post  Coxfledgling Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:27 am

Interesting....

What is the arrangement for compression control may I ask.

Is the engine and head shimmed up to be close to the desired value, and the compression screw push in a small round "slug" to increase compression slightly ?

Also, the spanner, us that branded as Enya ?
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:23 am

Beutiful Engines I am sure the 20 will bee also as ,can't help you on the knocking of the diesel other than may be a comp. problem where is over compression ?? Oh What's the wire thingy for ? Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:01 am

The 1st photo is a limited compression screw that I made.
Got the idea from a guy that modified a Enya glow plug on the larger Enya 41-4C 4-stroke diesel to give a limited amount of compression compared to the fixed "plug".
With the fixed plug, you would have to add a bunch of shims under the fixed plug to increase or decrease compression.
That is for the finer adjustments.
For the larger adjustments you either add or remove the two head shims that come with the engine (in the box).
One shim is already installed on the engine from Enya.

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 005_co11

All of these dummy glow plug shims I made to try to adjust the compression along with the adjustable glow plug I made to try to take care of the over/under compression problem.
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 006_sh10

The last thing is to try to take care of the compression problem is to get the correct prop for the RPM that you are going to run the diesel engine at. at a lower RPM you could use a larger prop. But at a higher RPM that larger prop wold be too much and it would be laboring.

If any of you guys have tried to run the old, fixed head Drone diesel engine may know of the problems?

Photo of a "fixed head" Drone diesel:
There I had to play with the fuel mixture, head shims, and prop sizes, depending on the heat and humidity for the day.

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Drone_10

Photo of a Drone Diesel I modified with an adjustable head and carburetor:
This is a nice engine now to run compared to the fix head (like the Enya 36-4c and 41-4C fixed head 4-strokes)
With a large prop (16x6) it has a good flywheel effect and ticks over at around 1800RPM but has a good top speed now that I also can control the RPMs.
3/4 throttle on takeoff with my oldtimer Playboy Sr. (at 80" wingspan), then putt-putt around at 1/4 throttle.

Hoping to do the same with the Enya 4-stroke diesels?

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 0029_d11

Here is some reading on the 36-4C and 41-4C diesel engines.
http://modelenginenews.org/ad/enya_4sd.html

Modified Enya 41-4C diesel engine link and video:

video:      Modifed Enya 41-4C diesel engine

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/5493013-too-low-compression-enya-41-4cd.html

Now find a YouTube video of an Enya 41-4C diesel engine and listen to the difference of the "stock" engine?
This has too large of a prop and probably could do with a head shim for the larger prop?

video:       Enya 41-4C with 16x8 prop

The wire thingy that you want to know what it is for "getback" is to be attached onto the glow plug on the Enya 4-stroke engines.
If you try to use an igniter straight on the glow plug the prop might hit the igniter and knock it off.
Enya calls it a remote igniter.
Saito and O.S. engines have the glow plugs in the back to be away from the prop when the glow igniter is attached to the engine.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Empty Arrval of the Enya 20T.V and Enya 20S

Post  sosam117 Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:37 pm

Well, the two Enya 20's engines arrived the other day 09/12/2022, from Ken Enya along with another Diesel engine.
(That diesel engine became available couple of weeks ago).
More on the other engine later.

About 2-1/2 weeks ago, Ken informed me that the Enya 20's were almost ready for shipping.
He needed me to pay for the shipping.
I asked emailed a reply to him "if" he had any other engines available which I might be interested in?
And possibly add that engine to the payment receipt.

Ken replied back that they did have an Enya Ultra 11CXD TV that just became available.
Seems the original buyer didn't complete the purchase, so this benefitted me!

Ken sent me a new payment receipt for me to pay. That was November 28th.
I sent the payment for the shipping of now three engines (was previously two) and the cost of the Ultra CXD TV (¥13,900)

Here are the photos of the two Enya .20 engines.
I ordered "two" 20TV but Ken didn't have a carb for the 2nd one, so it has the U-control venturi.
I did get a refund from the difference of the TV verses the U-control engine.
I'll try to find a carb for it somewhere? The other thing, the muffler/silencer for the U/control is the standard muffler and not the longer "special" muffler that comes with the R/C version engine.

Ken didn't inform me of the change in the muffler either, from the special to the regular muffler.
Looks like I'll have to get the special muffler and a TV carb. somewhere else?

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 001_en28
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 002_en23

One other thing that is a small problem.
Ken sent me the engine instructions for both engines in Japanese?
I have sent him an email of the problem, along with other problems of engine parts that I ordered as well, not fitting.

There will be a different posting of the parts problem that I received from Enya to rebuild my engines.

The acquisition of the Enya Ultra 11CXD TV will be under the Diesel discussion. (In the correct forum.)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:14 pm

I have 4 Drone Diesels, two being glow and one early version with the bolt on top cylinder. I've never been impressed with them using them for control line. Extremely anemic however it's neat. I use a 14x6 on my diesels and a 12x6 on glow. The reality is that the engine probably does the same rpm either or. They shake vibrate horribly, stink to high heavens but they're cool. I think it would be impossible to wear one out. I never had a issue with starting them. I start New Years off flying mine at our Frosty Balls Fly-athon. Even in the extreme cold they usually start right up with the fixed head. Sometimes, I hit it with the torch a bit to get a little heat into it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  n-heptane Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:53 pm

Very cool Enya engines! That Enya 36-4CD is a real gem. Glad I was able to pick one up myself last year. Haven't run it yet, but very much looking forward to.

Glad to hear you were able to get in touch with Ken Enya, himself. If I wanted to contact him to ask about availability of his Enya 2-stroke diesel engines (~0.15 size would be ideal), how might you recommend I get ahold of him?

Thank you much.

sosam117 wrote:Well, the two Enya 20's engines arrived the other day 09/12/2022, from Ken Enya along with another Diesel engine.
(That diesel engine became available couple of weeks ago).
More on the other engine later.

About 2-1/2 weeks ago, Ken informed me that the Enya 20's were almost ready for shipping.
He needed me to pay for the shipping.
I asked emailed a reply to him "if" he had any other engines available which I might be interested in?
And possibly add that engine to the payment receipt.

Ken replied back that they did have an Enya Ultra 11CXD TV that just became available.
Seems the original buyer didn't complete the purchase, so this benefitted me!

Ken sent me a new payment receipt for me to pay. That was November 28th.
I sent the payment for the shipping of now three engines (was previously two) and the cost of the Ultra CXD TV (¥13,900)

Here are the photos of the two Enya .20 engines.
I ordered "two" 20TV but Ken didn't have a carb for the 2nd one, so it has the U-control venturi.
I did get a refund from the difference of the TV verses the U-control engine.
I'll try to find a carb for it somewhere? The other thing, the muffler/silencer for the U/control is the standard muffler and not the longer "special" muffler that comes with the R/C version engine.

Ken didn't inform me of the change in the muffler either, from the special to the regular muffler.
Looks like I'll have to get the special muffler and a TV carb. somewhere else?

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 001_en28
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 002_en23

One other thing that is a small problem.
Ken sent me the engine instructions for both engines in Japanese?
I have sent him an email of the problem, along with other problems of engine parts that I ordered as well, not fitting.

There will be a different posting of the parts problem that I received from Enya to rebuild my engines.

The acquisition of the Enya Ultra 11CXD TV will be under the Diesel discussion. (In the correct forum.)
n-heptane
n-heptane

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:27 am

To contact Ken Enya here is the email I use.
sales@enya-engines.com

And in the subject line I type in *** Attention Ken Enya *** Engine order?

With doing the Attention you will get a slightly faster response.
As like with us getting so many emails (junk and other unwanted stuff).
The Attention lets Ken know that it is an order for parts or a possible engine build?

Now for Diesel fuel for your Enya 36-4CD.
EX Model Engines has diesel fuel that will work in your Enya 36-4CD engine quite well.
http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=18459&cat=287&page=1

It also works well in my 41-4CD engine as well.
No mixing involved as it has the correct mix for the fix head ABC Enya 36-4CD engine.

Now for 1/2A size diesel engines (.049 and smaller)
Mixing the Diesel Power fuel for 1/2A engines.
1Qt of Diesel Power + 7oz. of ether + 6oz. of Klotz full synthetic oil
This mix will then equal --- 37.8% kerosine / 37.7% ether / 24.6% oil
A bit less kerosene and a bit more ether than Davis 1/2A diesel fuel.
More ether is better for small .049 and smaller diesels. (that I have found).
(Users are personally responsible for any damages to their engines using this fuel. ---- a std. disclaimer -- nowadays)

As for the availability of getting any 2-stroke diesels is very slim.
I was able to get the last of the Enya Ultra 11CXD from him (back in 2020).
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t14520-last-of-the-enya-diesel-engines-purchased-off-of-enya-s-website?highlight=Enya++11

As far as I know, Enya is really not building anymore engines, unless it is an anniversary issue (release?)

Like my Enya .15-II
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 010_en15
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 012_en12
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 013_en11

I got the anniversary Enya .15-II years ago back in April 2014 (and they were snatched up fast!)
They were originally going to be sold on Enya's website.

I was lucky to get one!
Here was the email attachment I received when I wanted to purchase the Enya .15-II 60th Anniversary engine. (pre-order)
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_225

The 60th anniversary Enya 15-IID goes well with my original Enya 15-IID from years ago (NIB with optional "original" Enya spinner --- special option back then).
I added the locking tommy bar years later.
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 001_en37
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 002_en34

Regards,
sosam117
(Mike)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:59 pm

were ever did you get those 4 stroke diesels
I would love to play with one someday
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  n-heptane Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:37 pm

All very helpful. Thank you!

I sent Ken an email. Great looking 15D you have there.

sosam117 wrote:To contact Ken Enya here is the email I use.
sales@enya-engines.com

And in the subject line I type in *** Attention Ken Enya *** Engine order?

With doing the Attention you will get a slightly faster response.
As like with us getting so many emails (junk and other unwanted stuff).
The Attention lets Ken know that it is an order for parts or a possible engine build?

Now for Diesel fuel for your Enya 36-4CD.
EX Model Engines has diesel fuel that will work in your Enya 36-4CD engine quite well.
http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=18459&cat=287&page=1

It also works well in my 41-4CD engine as well.
No mixing involved as it has the correct mix for the fix head ABC Enya 36-4CD engine.

Now for 1/2A size diesel engines (.049 and smaller)
Mixing the Diesel Power fuel for 1/2A engines.
1Qt of Diesel Power + 7oz. of ether + 6oz. of Klotz full synthetic oil
This mix will then equal --- 37.8% kerosine / 37.7% ether / 24.6% oil
A bit less kerosene and a bit more ether than Davis 1/2A diesel fuel.
More ether is better for small .049 and smaller diesels. (that I have found).
(Users are personally responsible for any damages to their engines using this fuel. ---- a std. disclaimer -- nowadays)

As for the availability of getting any 2-stroke diesels is very slim.
I was able to get the last of the Enya Ultra 11CXD from him (back in 2020).
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t14520-last-of-the-enya-diesel-engines-purchased-off-of-enya-s-website?highlight=Enya++11

As far as I know, Enya is really not building anymore engines, unless it is an anniversary issue (release?)

Like my Enya .15-II
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 010_en15
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 012_en12
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 013_en11

I got the anniversary Enya .15-II years ago back in April 2014 (and they were snatched up fast!)
They were originally going to be sold on Enya's website.

I was lucky to get one!
Here was the email attachment I received when I wanted to purchase the Enya .15-II 60th Anniversary engine. (pre-order)
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_225

The 60th anniversary Enya 15-IID goes well with my original Enya 15-IID from years ago (NIB with optional "original" Enya spinner --- special option back then).
I added the locking tommy bar years later.
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 001_en37
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 002_en34

Regards,
sosam117
(Mike)
n-heptane
n-heptane

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:33 pm

I have had my Enya 41-4CD 4-stroke diesel since 2011 (early September).
I was/am getting Diesel fuel from Aerodyne but haven't been able to get any from him since the pandemic (2020).

The Test Stand:
One that I have had for years -- purchased it from Tower Hobbies in the late 80's
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_226

For the break-in:
October 2011
Instructions call for a 12/6 prop. First time I ran it I did not have a 12/6 and instead used a Zinger 12/7 from my prop box.
Later found some Brodak B-Y&O 12/6 props and have used these last couple times to break-in the engine.
Temperature was about 40 degrees.

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 001_en38
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 001a_e11
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 002_en35

I have run mine since owning the Enya 41-4CD engine without the valve cover on.
It is easy to start if you follow the instructions.
Usually takes me about 12 to 20 flips of the prop to get going.
I was running it rich for the first times out with extra castor.
Last time leaned it out a little and had no problem on a full run (1 full 6 oz. tank of fuel)
Probably one day I might fly it in an old-time model?

Besides leaving off the valve cover I also left off the push rod tubes.
I like to watch the stuff moving. I have not used a starter on this engine yet.
I did consider installing a glow plug for the dummy and starting with a battery on the plug. But have not done this yet.
Maybe it might make starting easier even with lower compression? Something to try.

Last couple times out I installed a two-foot auto heater hose on the exhaust. It keeps the oil off my test stand.

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 004_en22

The 5th time on the test stand and it was still a bit tight. I was breaking it in as we do with iron and steel two stroke diesels of old. I am now using a 3/8-inch auto heater hose, so the oil is not on the test stand (as seen in the photo -- less oil to clean off the stand after a few runs and no messy oil in the car.
Still takes about 13 to 21 flips of the prop to start. It still needs more time. Typical Enya engine --- takes a while to break-in but will last forever.

Cleaned up the Enya 4-4CD for the winter (Winter of 2011/2012)
Had other stuff going on (retirement, moving, cancer).
So, I didn't get back to the Enya 41-4CD until June of 2015
Started the engine up. took the usual number of flips again (a good thing).
This time I wanted to try a larger prop (a 14x4) I figured the instructions said to use a 12x6 so I guessed a 14x4 would be o.k.?
One size dia. up / one size pitch down?

I started the engine, and it sounded like a usual diesel engine that was over compressed? (laboring sound and the exhaust was coming out very black) so I stopped the engine.
I did not want the hassle to remove the head and mess up the torque and mating of the previous runs to add shims to lower the compression. I did have in the original Enya "dummy" looking glow plug already installed in the engine.

I did read about a guy that took a regular glow plug and removed the glow wire inside it to decrease the compression ratio farther than adding head shims and shims under the "dummy" glow plug.

So, I took a glow plug and removed the coil. Also added an extra glow plug gasket to be sure the compression was low enough.
If it was too low, I could maybe go to a slightly larger dia. prop/ lower pitch?

Well, it worked out fine with the larger props (14~16 x 4~6) and is now easier to start.
The engine has very good fuel economy with the 14~16-inch props set up.

A couple folks I know here in Illinois had not seen a four-stroke model diesel.
So, we got together later on in the late (Aug.) Summer of 2015, and I ran my Enya .41-4CD four stroke diesel.
They were impressed. I still have not flown the Enya. Some day?

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 001a_e12

I have probably run over a gallon of diesel fuel through the Enya 41-4CD.
Would like to find/get one more and keep it NIB.

I was going to contact Matt this year to see if the diesel fuel he has will work with adding the extra oil and kerosine as it looks like getting fuel from Aerodyne will be no more (as far as I know)?
The fuel looks to be the right mix for the Enya 36-4CD engine as it is an ABC engine, but for the Enya 41-4CD it is a ringed engine.

As of this year, I have not had time to play around with running my 41-4CD engine.
So, it has been nicely cleaned up and put away (again) since 2016.
I only have 1 qt of diesel fuel left and just haven't mixed any "new" stuff to date.

I'll run it again along with my other diesels.

Enya .06-IID
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_227

Letmo 2.5
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Letmo_12

PAW .09 Texaco
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken A_paw_12

Now for the Enya 36-4CD:
I was lucky to get that engine from a club member in 2015.
He was one of the guys that watched me start and run my Enya 41-4CD that one day in Aug. 2015.

He thought that he purchased an Enya 41-4C glow engine and was surprised that it was a diesel engine.
Wayne purchased it off of Ken Enya's website and he didn't really know the difference when he ordered it.
He really never played with a diesel engine and didn't understand them?

So, Wayne gave it to me as I did many odd things for him as for payment for doing things for him. (pick him up on the way to the field, repaired small damage to his planes, soldering servo wires -- making special lengths, and other small stuff).

As the engine is delivered to you, the head screws are loose, the pushrods and tubes are in a stapled bag, the rocker cover is off, and those screws are in a bag as well. Both the 41-4CD and the 36-4CD upper assembly are not assembled when you receive them.
You have to finish the assembly and insert the shims (head and glow plug shims) that you think that you will need.

Two years after Wayne gave me the engine he passed away. (2017)
I looked at the engine during the pandemic and discovered that the head shims are missing.
Probably dropped out when Wayne looked at the disassembled engine in the box.

So, the Enya 36-4CD is sitting in the box waiting for me to order the missing head shims from Ken Enya.
I'll order the shims when I clean up and repair/refurbish some of my other Enya engines.

By the way, on my Enya 41-4CD, when I received my engine, I tightened the head screws as per instructions, then pushed down on the rocker arm and installed the pushrods for both the intake and exhaust.
That is why the pushrod tubes are not installed on my Enya 41-4CD.
To install them I would have to remove the head, insert the "O" rings on the ends of the pushrod tubes then install the tubes into the crankcase, then insert the pushrods into the tubes, then line up the pushrods up to the rocker arms and insert the top of the tubes into the head as I bring down the head to tighten the screws per the instructions.

Last edited by sosam117 on Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:04 pm

Hi Mike, I always enjoy reading about and looking at your Enya engines. Eye candy for us Enya guys.

I copied the email link that you mentioned to get in touch with Ken Enya. I have put it off for years but I think it's time for me to get information about this Enya .09II marked "Special" on the box and a part of the Ted Coulsen collection. Bob Allan put me on to him when his brother was selling a part of his collection. Seems Enya made it up "Special" for Ted, but I don't know.

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016661
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016660
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016662
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016663
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016664
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016665
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:09 pm

Here is my collection of Enya .09-II
They are a mix of the mid to later versions of Enya .09-II

What I see on the exterior of yours is these differences:
Socket head screws on the entire engine: front housing, and the head screws, also on the back as well.
The back mounting is simple enough.
On the back of the original engine are bosses for you to carefully drill and tap to accept four screws.
The needle valve assembly looks to be from maybe an O.S. (FP.10?) engine as it would have a finer threads.

The engine seems to have been bead blasted completely as the originals were shinier and not as dull.
I really don't understand the reason for the backplate on the engine?
There are no extra holes in the back plate for vertical mounting? (like the design of the .049/.06/.08 and .10 Enya engines)
Those can be mounted on beams or to the firewall.

What I can see from the exhaust port to be just a std. Enya piston/sleeve steel/iron.

Maybe the venturi opening has been bored out bigger than the regular production engine?
Has the inside been cleaned up?
Cleaned up to where there are no sharp corners inside to hamper fuel exchange into the ports? (nice smooth flow?)
I use to do that on my engines to clean up the inside to reduce cavitation of the fuel mixture from the crankcase to the fuel ports.
And maybe it was given special attention and hand built to the tighter specifications compared to an engine just thrown together down the assembly line?

Rebuilding some of the Enya engines, I have noticed where some parts were missing, like the thrust washer behind the prop driver.
I have made copper thrust washers to replace the missing one plus some extra because the crankcase was worn down because it was missing causing the crankshaft to wear away the inside of the back plate.
I have had to either replace the backplate or if it is not too bad, just file down the groove off the backplate and check to see the clearance. is still acceptable from the end of the crank to the backplate.
Remember, there has to be a little amount of clearance between the crankshaft and the backplate, but not too much as the backplate holds the connecting rod in place on the end of the crankshaft.

Look over all (most) of the Enya .09-II engines that I have:
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_230
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_229
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_228
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_231
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_232
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_233
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_234
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 004_en23
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 005_en19
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Enya_235
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 001a_e13
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 002a_e11
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken 004a_e12
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:37 pm

robot797 wrote:were ever did you get those 4 stroke diesels
I would love to play with one someday

Are you interested in an Enya 36-4CD?
If you are interested Ken has given me a contact for a company that he use to ship engines to. (but no longer does)
They have "in stock" a few Enya 15CXS, U-control engines.
AND ----- one of the Enya 36-4CD available for ¥38,500 plus ¥2,250 (shipping) plus 3.5% for using PayPal/credit card.

¥38,500 --engine cost
¥ 2,250 -- shipping
¥40,750 --sub-total
¥ 1,427 -- 3.5% charge
¥42,177 -- grand total (current price as of 11/26/2023 in USD= $287.62)

Here is the web page for the Enya 36-4CD engine:
https://www.rcjapan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=85_79_752&products_id=30192

Here is how to place the order for the engine and get a coupon to reduce the cost on the engine too:
https://www.rcjapan.net/index.php?main_page=coupon

Regards,
sosam117
(Mike)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:04 am

Sent Ken Enya an email the 19th of November inquiring about the rest of what is considered "junk" engines that Enya has and shipping them to me.

I did send small payments over the last 3 months to Ken to acquire the "junk" engines and sent the last payment the 19th of November.
The engine total is a quantity of 132 engines.
Most of these "junk" engines are new in the box but are gummed up from storage or missing some part like a carb or piston/sleeve assembly, or other minor things like that.

The company that purchased Enya years ago (2008) has the idea that taking the time to tear down and assemble these "junk" engines is a waste of time and money.

Most of the engines are in their original boxes (like brand new) some have no boxes (yet).
Totaling what I paid for all 132 engines come in at about $50~$60 each.

But today, (Nov. 27,2023) I received from Ken Enya what the shipping cost will be.
And it comes to ¥249,038 (about 1,700.00) and that will not include the parts I'll need to fix the engines?

Got to love Enya engines? (or see a shrink?)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:19 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Hi Mike, I always enjoy reading about and looking at your Enya engines.  Eye candy for us Enya guys.

I copied the email link that you mentioned to get in touch with Ken Enya.  I have put it off for years but I think it's time for me to get information about this Enya .09II marked "Special" on the box and a part of the Ted Coulsen collection.  Bob Allan put me on to him when his brother was selling a part of his collection.  Seems Enya made it up "Special" for Ted, but I don't know.

Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016661
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016660
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016662
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016663
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016664
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken P1016665

Bob,
Have you been able to any response from Ken Enya about your "special" Enya .09-II?

n-heptane,
Did you get a reply from you question as well about the 2 stroke diesels?
I know what the answer might be ----- no more available diesel engines anymore.
Last ones were the Ultra 11CXD and I got the last three off his website just a couple years ago.

Here is the thread for that:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t14520-last-of-the-enya-diesel-engines-purchased-off-of-enya-s-website

sosam117
Mike
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:35 pm

Hi Mike, Thanks for reminding me.

I just sent it off. I mentioned your name and sent him all the pictures I posted above. I doubt very much that Enya made it special for Ted, perhaps just a sales story but we will see. - Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:14 am

rsv1cox wrote:Hi Mike, Thanks for reminding me.  

I just sent it off.  I mentioned your name and sent him all the pictures I posted above.  I doubt very much that Enya made it special for Ted, perhaps just a sales story but we will see. - Bob

Reason I asked you if you contacted Ken Enya is because Ken has shipped to me the last of his "junk" engines that were in storage in his warehouse.
I made a deal with Ken to purchase those engines (for a price we haggled over for a few months).
These engines were in the old Enya building where they were years ago.
When Enya was purchased in 2007 by Shioya Manufacturing Co. Ltd. Enya move to the "new" company's building outside Tokyo.
Which is smaller and there is no machining (production) of engines in this smaller space.

In 1998, when I worked for Caterpillar (fuel systems), my company sent me over to Japan (in Tokyo) for three weeks because Cat made a contract with Isuzu to supply them our injectors.
Anyway, I had the chance to visit the Enya factory while they were still in Tokyo. Enya factory was not very far away from the Isuzu factory.

I then was fortunate enough to have another trip to Japan (from Caterpillar) in 2008 to the Isuzu factory as this was the last year of the Isuzu contract with them. I was sent there to assess the "bad" injectors and have them shipped back to my factory (Caterpillar - Fuel Systems) and charge Isuzu for the core injectors (things that were wrong with the injectors that were not Cats fault.)
That took a few weeks as Isuzu argued over what was theirs and what was ours.
In the meantime, I was able to get a least one day to where I found where Enya moved to by asking at a nearby hobby shop and went to where they are now (currently).

I was able to have a tour of Enya's new building and Ken to time out for me to give me the tour at that time.
At the end of the tour, I purchase an Enya 90-4C 4-stroke and had Ken Enya sign it for me. (one special treasured engine)
We watched the woman finish assembling the engine and package it into its box.
Waited 3 months for these Enya Engines (two more to come yet) -- special build from Ken Img_0237

I was very surprised from where they were before to where they are currently at.
Thinking about it now, the space they had before probably cost them a lot in taxes to have a small model engine company that produces less engines now (because of electric motors)?

Back to the "junk" engines.
These engines are ones that are/were in their boxes (new old stock) but the problem is they are all either stuck or really gummed up from long storage and what Ken told me that the new (parent) company doesn't was to spend the time (money) to tear them down and rebuild them with new screws and gaskets and other items.
And there are some engines that are missing parts (like the carburetor, heads, prop drivers, and other minor stuff)
I've been combining those engines to make complete engines.
So, I do have a small box of Enya parts that I'll have to sell when I'm done combining the partially built engines to complete engines.
Only problem with those partially built engines is --- no boxes, instructions, original tools -- if they were included with the engine.
I can purchase those (box, copy of instructions, parts - if available) items from Ken (for a price).

Anyway, here is my emails from Ken for the last 132 Enya engines to be shipped to my house.

1st email for half of the engines being shipped:

Dear Michael McIntyre,
Thank you for using our products and thank you for your inquiry.

shipping info
022 5618033186
023 2555267982
024 5618072353
025 5618086972
026 2555307871
027 2555316400
028 5618129952

by DHL

029-035 will be ship tomorrow.

If you have question, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Ken Enya

ENYA METAL PRODUCTS CO., LTD.   ------------
16-3 Chikumazawa-higashi, Miyoshi-machi, Iruma-gun,
Saitama, 354-0046 Japan
PHONE: +81-49-259-5783  FAX: +81-49-259-3075
Business hours: 9:00 to 17:00 (+0900) / Monday to Friday
E-MAIL: sales@enya-engine.com
URL: http://www.enya-engine.com/index_E.htm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2023/11/28 22:58, M. McIntyre wrote:
> Hello Ken,
> I checked over each invoice for the engines in each package as well as
> quantity.
>
> The quantity of each package is correct.
>
> The exact descriptions of some of the engines are not correct but the
> displacement is.
> Example: such as "two" Enya .09-III and "one" Enya .09-IV would be in
> the same package but the count would be "three" .09-III.
>
> *That is not a problem as the engine count was still correct for those
> packages. *
>
> I found nothing else wrong.
>
> I now wait for you to send me an invoice so that I can pay for the shipping.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Regards,
> Michael McIntyre
>
> 23546 West Fern Street
> Plainfield, ILLinois 60586-2324
> USA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd email about the 2nd half of the engines to be shipped to my house
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Michael McIntyre,
Thank you for using our products and thank you for your inquiry.

shipping info

29 3392881284
30 5618439956
31 3392931990
32 3392944844
33 1932031673  
34 1932058682  
35 1932084173

by DHL

Have a nice weekend!!
If you have question, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Ken Enya

ENYA METAL PRODUCTS CO., LTD.   ------------
16-3 Chikumazawa-higashi, Miyoshi-machi, Iruma-gun,
Saitama, 354-0046 Japan
PHONE: +81-49-259-5783  FAX: +81-49-259-3075
Business hours: 9:00 to 17:00 (+0900) / Monday to Friday
URL: http://www.enya-engine.com/index_E.htm
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:36 am

It's nice that you have that relationship with Enya and getting those old surplus engines is pretty wonderful.

That email I sent to Ken using your address bounced back.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:49 pm

I tried ordering a 4 stroke diesel
out of stock
I now am sad Sad
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:24 am

rsv1cox wrote:It's nice that you have that relationship with Enya and getting those old surplus engines is pretty wonderful.

That email I sent to Ken using your address bounced back.  

Try the one that is in my posting from Ken's email.
That is the one I use.

Maybe I missed something in the email address that I typed and that might be the reason it bounced back?
I'll have to check my posting to see what I missed?

Just checked the posting and the email address is correct?
I sometimes forget to include the hyphen between the enya and engine.

Mike
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:43 am

robot797 wrote:I tried ordering a 4 stroke diesel
out of stock
I now am sad Sad

So did n-hepthane --- got the same results.

Though on R/C Japan website when I looked at it about a month ago it shows available?

Just looked at the R/C website today (Dec. 2nd, 2023) and it where you order the Enya 36-4CD now says:

This item is currently experiencing a delay and it may take more than 3 months to be ready.

That wording was not there before you guys tried to order the engine?
Maybe/hopefully R/C Japan can convince Ken Enya to build them?
As R/C Japan is a large distributor compared to one individual asking for an engine?

The same was done for the Enya 36-4C glow the end of last year (this is where I got my 4-stroke glow engines from --- the 3 month wait.)and Enya built exactly a dozen and they sold fast!

I hope so? For you guys.
If it does happen, I just might pick up one more 4-stroke diesel?

sosam117
Mike
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:53 am

that was not mentioned when I tried to order

anyone got a 4 stroke diesel for me?
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next