Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive Cox_ba12

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» audio-tach anyone?
by balogh Today at 7:04 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive Empty
Live on Patrol

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive

Go down

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive Empty RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:40 am

Excuse me for being a little excited. After months of preperation my son and I have this thing running. Runs pretty good too, except for one thing. Oil pressure. Waited a few second for it to build and it didn't. Shut it down shorted the gauge and the gauge works. Cleaned the contacts on the sender and tried again. Went up to 15 lbs and dropped back. Shut it down. Unscrewed the new oil filter and oil flowed out so we have pressure.

Started it again and slipped it in first gear, got clutch and movement but still concerned with oil pressure. Got to order a new sender. Engine hadn't been started for 15 years but lots of prep work. Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug holes, cranked over to distribute with the plugs out. Did several times, plugs in and out. New fuel injectors did it. Got a "low coolant" light, added coolent and installed the cleaned up clutched fan.

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive P1015148
RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive P1015149

Then we tried the rusty electric window motor. Darned if it didn't work perfectly. Never thought that it would.

Two for two.

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive P1015150
RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive P1015151
RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive P1015152
RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive P1015153

Back to the build log...............still a long, long way to go.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive Empty Re: RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:01 am

Glad to see you got the rotary successfully running, Bob, congrats. Thumbs Up

Thought it interesting, labeling is sort of a Japanese way. RE-EGI - Rotary Engine - Electronic Gas Injection (or Ignition, something like that. Laughing )

Regarding comment from Yabby on your fuel injections resembling diesel ones. What I thought that might be from is that perhaps, the oil was injected into the gas prior to arriving at the injector. Then it would have the viscosity and lubricity similar to diesel fuel.

Just curious, where is the oil injected into the gas? through a separate injector to cylinder? Or, prior to injector?

Your car resembles the Mazda built Ford Probes around the same year, except they equipped those with 4 cylinders and tweaked the body style here and there enough to make it look different. Was told that many under the hood parts were cross listed as a popular Mazda 626 sedan. (My son had a Ford Probe about same vintage as your RX.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive Empty Re: RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:31 pm

I had a good friend flying buddy that owned a Probe too, was a big Stars Wars fan, only reason he bought it I think.

Four injectors two for each housing.  Oil injected directly into each housing "cylinder" if you will.  Pan oil pump lubes the moving parts separately.  Injectors just to lube the apex seals.  

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive Rx-7_o10

Fun starting it, smoke, white mostly burned off 15 years of neglect and excess Marvel Mystery Oil.  Fresh oil in the pan.  Disturbes me when I see these  started with years old oil in the sump.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:34 pm

Thanks Bob on the clarification. Separate injection would make sense. The droplets are larger and directed properly would better lubricate the seals. Whereas, in the fuel it would less likely land directly on the "cylinder" surfaces, be diluted and combust wih the gas, IMO.

The rotary engine and controls are a work of art. I was similarly impressed with the Mazda emmissions and cooling engineering on my old 1970 1800 with single SU style carburetor. With then considered new technology gas shock absorbers, it had a very nice gliding ride over the roads, even smoother than my parents 1968 Chevrolet Caprice (deluxe Impala). A friend comment that on the highway, it was like riding in an airplane.

Only downside back then was not many parts manufacturers made parts for it. I had to go to the dealer and pay about 4 times more for most parts, even shocks.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:52 pm

Good for you, Bob. I love the feeling of a resurrection.

Ah, the Ford Probe...and Lindsey Wagner. She made me want that car.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:52 pm

Congratulations Bob!!….Gotta be a neat feeling to get it to run….. Weeds out a lot of “could have been worse” things….Getting the engine going was huge but you hit a home run with that window motor too!!!…. It looked pretty roasted!!!…..Model airplane build and repair technology fits a lot of things right?  Very Happy …... A great time for you and your son, Has to be very satisfying Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:47 pm

Yes, a good feeling.  I would have been really bummed if neither worked.  The big surprise was the window motor.  I did not give it a chance.  

After Mark left I put it in reverse and backed it out of the garage.  Thankfully a good clutch with no judder a lingering concern after a fifteen year sit.  Rebuilt brakes too worked fine.  While I had it out I checked that the alternator was charging, the gas gauge works, not warm enough for the temperture gauge, thermostat had not opened yet but still no oil pressure although the only idiot light that was lit was the window washers.  

Ordered a new OP sender from RockAuto.  Aftermarket at $49.00 vice $124.00 for OEM.  10mm wrench, unscrew it, undo the electrical lead and screw the new one in.  RX-7 forum, Mark, a member says a common problem with these.  

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive Atkins10

Now I'm worried about those oil injectors................. Sad

Add...Story about that window motor. First we tried it with a remote battery, didn't work. I was about to remove the gear box cover when Mark plugged it into the cars socket and grounded the frame while I operated the switch. When it came to life, Mark who was holding the motor jumped an inch. Hit the other side of the rocker switch and it reversed. Smooth as silk. We were both surprised.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:33 am

rsv1cox wrote:Now I'm worried about those oil injectors................. Sad
Doesn't the mechanics manual describe a procedure to check that the oil injectors work correctly?
rsv1cox wrote:Add...Story about that window motor.  First we tried it with a remote battery, didn't work. I was about to remove the gear box cover when Mark plugged it into the cars socket and grounded the frame while I operated the switch.  When it came to life, Mark who was holding the motor jumped an inch.  Hit the other side of the rocker switch and it reversed.  Smooth as silk.  We were both surprised.
There is always joy when something you repaired works properly the first time. You basically rehabilitated the motor, so there is no reason why it would not work. You also did a better job I believe than many rebuilding shops.

I remember one time purchasing a rebuilt power steering for my 1976 Ford Pinto from one of the big name autoparts stores in LA. Their refurbisher basically took a very worn out and battered pump and put new bearing and seals on it. My original was in better shape except needed a new seal. However, I needed it repaired ASAP and so reluctantly installed it.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:25 am

Good job on getting some smoke in the air , I know the feeling when a plan comes together and there is nothing like it bounce Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:22 am

getback wrote:Good job on getting some smoke in the air , I know the feeling when a plan comes together and there is nothing like it bounce Thumbs Up

Yes, smoke scads of it.

First time I started it I had the garage door closed not really expecting it to start on the first try. Pessimist!  But it started with barely a revolution.  Shut it down opened the garage door and hit it again.  Smoke, Marvel Mystery Oil, 15 years of who knows what plus maybe a dead mouse or two blown out of the twin tail pipes. Starts like Honda motorcycles, tickle the starter and it's running.  Starter has received attention too as the bendix was only catching on about every fifth try.  It's amazing what a little clean-up and lubrication can do.

Oil injection, not new but unique and necessary to Wankels.  I'm just learning about it.  Under the intake manifold are four clear hard plastic tubes that I thought were emissions.  

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive P1015154
RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive Scan_165

This is kinda cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzR09DqJdx4

Getting it started was the easy part.  Now the hard work begins................

Add - No RX-7 today, got to replace the brake pads on a mower that I'm giving to my daughter.  I have ran it with no brakes for years, but I wouldn't trust my daughter with it.  Huge things.

RX-7 build log, special edition....It's alive P1015155
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down