Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Cox_ba12

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Today at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Today at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 7:19 pm

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Ken Cook Today at 6:42 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Today at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 6:14 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by roddie Today at 3:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 2:24 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 2:23 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:54 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 6:52 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Empty
Live on Patrol

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Empty My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:24 am

My 1984 Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log

Not my first effort.  A little history chronology.

1959 Corvette,  Complete restoration.  Nuts and bolts. Even took the speedometer apart.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Corvet25

1965 K code Mustang.  Marks car.  A shell when we got it.  I painted it burgandy.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Painti11

1947 MGTC Classic.  Mostly done when I got it.  Professional British body shop restoration, painted in pieces Porsche red.  Mark and I assembled it.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Mgtc_111
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Mgtc_510
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Mgtc_211

1974 MGB.  A rusty mess, but with overdrive.  Engine, body, interior.  Loved that car.  

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Mg_swa10

1980 MG-LE Cosmetic restoration.  My best MG

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Mgb_re10

1974 MG Midget.  Engine a mess, body a mess.  Re-did both.  Anybody notice the major difference between the two years? 1974 and 1977?

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Moving10

1977 MG Midget.  Killed MG's for me.  $250 rusty mess, engine locked, differential locked.  Water in transmission.  Brought it back from the dead.  

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Midget40
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Midget39

Enter 1985 RX-7GSL-SE

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014677

While looking up these pictures, I came across this picture.  It's the extent of my model airplanes before I joined this forum.  Expanded a bit since then.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Scan_150

More to come but I'll keep it brief.  These off-topic build logs can get boring for those not so inclined.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Empty Re: My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion

Post  balogh Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:49 am

Wow Bob, quite a fleet of old cars revived with your skills and magic spell! Way to go, keep us posted on how the Mazda rises from its ashes!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Empty Re: My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:38 pm

balogh wrote:Wow Bob, quite a fleet of old cars revived with your skills and magic spell! Way to go, keep us posted on how the Mazda rises from its ashes!

I just love automobiles Andras.  In my lifetime I have owned over 75, some new, some used, some pretty awful.  I enjoyed the pretty awfuls the most. When I was four or five my mother would set me out back on the sandpile with a couple of push cars and leave me for hours.  Her baby sitter she said.  

Days one through five:

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014678
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014679
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014680
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014681
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014682
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014683
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion 100_1219
Spark plug holes with ATF/MMO to lubricate apex seals on the rotors.
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014685
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014686

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion 100_1218

My first RX-7 injury.  It won't be the last.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014684
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:57 pm

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Scree230

The difference between 74 and 77,  the missing MaeWest Bumper vs the Chrome bars??
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:08 pm

HHmm, I don't think that's a proper oil filter wrench? Just because its a Craftsman, doesn't make it right.
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Scree231
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:16 pm

Marley, I think you nailed it! In Triumph-speak we call them "Dolly Partons." They are much more pointy on TR6s.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:59 pm

944_Jim wrote:Marley, I think you nailed it! In Triumph-speak we call them "Dolly Partons." They are much more pointy on TR6s.

Nah, That one is to easy/obvious guys.  

Check out the rear wheel wells.  MG lowered them for '77 for more body stifness.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion 77_mg_10
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion 74_mg_10
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion 77_m_210

Krylon gloss white rattle can paint job on that MG.  No way I was going to waste money on a $250 dollar rust bucket.  Fooled many people including the buyer.  He just refused to believe me.

Know what this is? Chances are you have one right now on your car/truck.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Gas_do10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:54 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Know what this is?  Chances are you have one right now on your car/truck.
Bob, that connector on the left side is an odd tapered pin, appears to be electrical in nature, possibly to be butted up against another module of a sort. It's smaller size leaves me a little puzzled. Mazda's seem to be good about all sorts of little electronic / vacuum-pneumatic actuators, remembered some on my 1970 Mazda 1800, which set it apart from other cars. For emission controls, it had dual points on its 4 cylinder for idle spark retardation done by the second set of points.

You've got me, what is it?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:04 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Know what this is?  Chances are you have one right now on your car/truck.
Bob, that connector on the left side is an odd tapered pin, appears to be electrical in nature, possibly to be butted up against another module of a sort. It's smaller size leaves me a little puzzled. Mazda's seem to be good about all sorts of little electronic / vacuum-pneumatic actuators, remembered some on my 1970 Mazda 1800, which set it apart from other cars. For emission controls, it had dual points on its 4 cylinder for idle spark retardation done by the second set of points.

You've got me, what is it?

It's pretty universal George.  Got them on my Hondas.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion 100_1310

The one on my RX-7

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion 100_1311

Unfortunately, the pin is rusted shut and I can't get the fuel filler door open.  Sad  I have sprayed some penetrating oil in there (can't see it).  The tab is there in case there is a failure.  Pull back on the tab to pull back the pin.  Works fine if it isn't rusted.  So if your fuel door doesn't open, now you know how to open it.  

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Rx-7_l10

I need to open the door to replace the gas in the tank when I drain it.  It's about a quarter full according to the gauge.

That white stuff on the bumper trim came off with pressure washing.  It's actually lichen.  It was sitting garaged in SC for 15 years.  So, everyone, keep moving.................
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:33 pm

Interesting, Bob, I would never guess it was an electric solenoid to unlock the fuel cap door. And, it was good that the Mazda engineers figured a way to operate the solenoid manually through the exposed linkage when opening the trunk during loss of electrical power or solenoid failure.

None of my current vehicles have that, my plain Jane Dodges and Chevy. They all have manually operating doors. My earlier vehicles that had them were manual cable operated fuel door openers.

But, in a way I am grateful to have these baseline brand vehicles. Seems lately, luxury type vehicles (Cadillac, Lincoln, especially Mercedes, Porsche, Volvo, BMW, etc.) are more susceptible to random vandalism, especially in larger cities. Wouldn't want to park somewhere while traveling, and have the unexpected happen. That big Mercedes star seems to paint a target on that vehicle. Doh!

The old Murphy's Law of Combat seems to hold truth: Look unimportant, the enemy may be low on ammunition. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:48 am

Nice restores through the years Bob , You got a good jump on it already , cleaned up pretty good too .. Are you going to see if she will fire up before jumping head first into it? Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:15 am

The old Murphy's Law of Combat seems to hold truth: Look unimportant, the enemy may be low on ammunition.

True George, the few times I have been pulled over for speeding was in flashy cars.  My Camero Z-28 and my BMW 325is.  The BMW was especially aggravating.  Trooper pulled me out of a crowd all doing the same speed.  

And Eric, yes, I have changed my mind and want to get it running first.  Been turning it over with oil in the spark plug holes and a ratchet on the crankshaft bolt.  Nice and smooth.  I was worried about the apex seals on the rotors but they appear to be fine.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014690

But, cleaning up the pretty stuff is a lot more fun.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014688
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:46 am

rsv1cox wrote:But, cleaning up the pretty stuff is a lot more fun.
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014688
Even though your interior is faded, that photo shows that the cloth velour interior is still in very good condition, which means that with a decent clean up, you can have it replaced at your leisure and still enjoy driving the car meanwhile.

If the rotary apex seals are in good condition, then if it isn't burning excessive oil, and all else internally is good, with a decent exterior repaint or good detailing, you got an enjoyable keeper for rumbling around, and more time for other things. Smile

rsv1cox wrote:My first RX-7 injury.  It won't be the last.
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014684
Yup, I scratched up my right hand really good fishing out and repairing the electrical wiring on my wife's 2013 Dodge Journey. Latest additional repair:

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion 2022-122
Broken monitoring wire on battery positive terminal connector.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion 2022-123
Monitoring wire repaired.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:21 pm

It has to be painted, that silver is well oxidized. The new paint has to fit the interior. I like this off-red.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Off_re10

I bought this Miata new while living in Florida, very similiar "Copper Red."

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Miata_10

Only red car that I have owned outside my MGTC.

That bruise on my forearm, jammed between the fan shroud and the ratchet pictured above.

Mouse nest found under the spare tire. Just about every car of this type I have ever owned had one.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014691

I have found them in glove boxes.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:11 pm

Us guys are a tough lot... smashes, mashes, cuts, gashes... bruises, abrasions and lacerations.. (Christmas Tree  don't put your eye out... Christmas Tree ) Shocked

All kidding aside.. Robert, This most recent automotive adventure for you is IMHO very cool! Cool Those Wankels can really spool-up some serious output-power.. albeit at the cost of efficiency and emissions .. but someone needs to stand-up to the current (no pun intended..) electric-vehicle trend.. and it might as well be you! tongue

A cool vid.. that you've likely seen already Robert.. but I'll post for the benefit of those who may have not.. and are interested in the differences through the years up until your latest example.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:21 pm

Thanks roddie, I do have it but watched through it again.  Always learn something new, but this guy is difficult to keep up with unless your familiar with both the 12A and the 13B.

I had a 12A when living in Florida in the late 90's.  Biggest visual appearance difference is the wheels.  A beautiful low mileage '82 GSL with leather.  But, it did not have power steering making it heavy to drive not light on it's feet like my GSL-SE so I sold it.  I should have just added the power steering unit.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Scan_151
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Scan_152

I managed to get the fuel filler door open.  Coming in through the back I wedged a screwdriver blade in the opening between the lever and the body and twisted backing the pin out and the door popped open.  

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Rx7_fu10
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014692
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014693
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014694
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:52 pm

looking good.

RED! the new Mazda red would look VERY sharp on it. I've seen a few of the new miatas and even SUVs with it.

a bit sparkly, and deep.

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:20 pm

cstatman wrote:looking good.

RED!   the new Mazda red would look VERY sharp on it.   I've seen a few of the new miatas and even SUVs with it.

a bit sparkly, and deep.

Yes, I love this color.  Going to get the local paint shop to mix me up a batch according to Mazda's paint code and shoot it myself.  About June/July I figure.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Off_re11

Evil gas.  Drained the tank this morning and refilled with a couple of gallons of fresh and as it's on two jacks sloshed it around a bit by moving the body side to side, then drained that.  Replaced the drain plug and filled it with three gallons of fresh.  Now to replace the fuel filter, blow out the lines and get it started.  Previous owner said - "Ran when parked."  As the blind man said - We shall see.  

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014697
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014696
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014695

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014698

What Ron is looking forward to Times 2!  Smile If his Triumphs have been sitting for any length of time.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:15 pm

Looking good Bob…. My Z’s interior was about that exact same color….. Stereo facing was similar as well….I had to pull it out once to change the fuse in the back…. That’s where the little micro cassette was too that had the lady’s voice to remind you; Lights are on, Door is Open, Fuel Level Low, and a lot of other things….. Have fun but be safe Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:10 pm

rdw777 wrote:Looking good Bob…. My Z’s interior was about that exact same color….. Stereo facing was similar as well….I had to pull it out once to change the fuse in the back…. That’s where the little micro cassette was too that had the lady’s voice to remind you; Lights are on, Door is Open, Fuel Level Low, and a lot of other things….. Have fun but be safe Very Happy

Four jack stands Robert plus the jack.  Still I'm cautious.  Removing the skid shield and the fuel pump.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014700
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014699
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014701

This is NOT the fun part, but somehow I get the same feeling of positive anticipation that I got the first time I turned a disassembly nut/bolt on my '59 Corvette some 45 years ago.  Where is this thing going to lead.............The fun part is when you get all the new/refinished parts lined up ready for reassembly on a freshly restored chassis.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:36 am

Popcorn SC RUST lol! Laughing Christmas Tree
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:12 am

getback wrote:Popcorn SC RUST lol! Laughing Christmas Tree

And maybe a SC mouse.  Never had one in this garage until I dragged the RX into it. (That nest under the spare.) Mud Daubers too. It's a virtual menagerie in there. Smile

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014703
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014702
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:46 pm

couldnt resist, had to google it

Soul Red Crystal - which sounds like it may be a bit more than I bargained for (like the ex-wives) may remove whats left of my soul?

but sure is pretty

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the-mazda-way/design/soul-red-crystal/
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:41 pm

Mazda had some interesting colors.  My oldest daughter had a very rare Miata in Evolution Orange.  Then husbands RX-7 behind it.  

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Scan_153

When they visited us in Florida, I hadn't told her of my new Miata in Copper Red.  When she saw it, her eyes lit up and she went home and traded it for a new hardtop in that color.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion Mgb_mi11

That was in 2007, she still has it.

Removed the fuel pump today. Not a pretty sight.

My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014705
My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion P1014704
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:49 pm

First, I loved the photo timeline. One that really stood out was painting the Mustang. Painting it outside, painting it right beside what appears to be a very light colored house..... And the fact it is a deep red! That takes guts, or a lot of permission..... Lol.

Hopefully you can get the pump all cleaned up and get the new addition fired up!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next