Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri. Cox_ba12

Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by MauricioB Today at 1:53 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by MauricioB Today at 1:50 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:42 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri. Empty
Live on Patrol

Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri.

Go down

Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri. Empty Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri.

Post  Kim Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:48 pm

"Air Tractor in the Rain"

My battered crop duster goes for a flight around the hill in a steady drizzle, but the good part was, there was only a slight breeze from the south, and I pulled off two great (for me) landings in the front yard.

Afternoons like this take me back in the day, flying with my buds at the Cairo airport.  Sundays were often the only time we could all fly together, so if the weather was crummy, we'd stand in the door of an open hangar, while flying our planes in the rain, and call it a great time...which it was.

Also, starting repair work on the wing of the "Butterfly" motorglider, and did a bench run of a stray O.S. .46SF that has been laying in the darkness with its brothers for a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfC-JV7xI00&t=3s
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri. Empty Re: Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri.

Post  MauricioB Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:53 pm

Hi Kim, nice to see you active.
The day lends itself to workshop work and nostalgia.
Flying days like this have a special charm, especially when it stops raining and the wind calms down, then the gust of post-combustion smoke from the engine remains in the air, it's beautiful!
Great camera in the cockpit!
I see you use a flap!...the Air Tractor is beautiful, by the way, what brand is it from?
A hug for you and I hope to see more of your videos!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri. Empty Re: Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri.

Post  Kim Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:09 pm

MauricioB wrote:Hi Kim, nice to see you active.
The day lends itself to workshop work and nostalgia.
Flying days like this have a special charm, especially when it stops raining and the wind calms down, then the gust of post-combustion smoke from the engine remains in the air, it's beautiful!
Great camera in the cockpit!
I see you use a flap!...the Air Tractor is beautiful, by the way, what brand is it from?
A hug for you and I hope to see more of your videos!

Hey Mauricio!

Thank you!

The plane is an E-Flite Air Tractor I bought used this past summer.  Yes...I LOVE flaps!  The speed they allow for landing is great and lets me really pick my touch-down point.

Take Care and have a Great Holiday Season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmtJ_Qkab-Q
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:07 am

Another great video Kim. Love the inside the cockpit Go-pro. No drag. Learned something - heat the epoxy on a lamp. Makes dispensing so much easier. Don't know how much epoxy I have wasted pumping it out cold.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:33 am

Great shop day video! Noticed you were well clear of the plane eating tree this time and greased it in nicely.

Like Bob, the epoxy heater is a tip to remember - I water bath mine or give the bottles a quick zap in the microwave.

I was a little surprised that the polyhedral wing tip was just butt joined without any through spar support. Although the spruce spars were capped with fiberglass, the size of the cap was pretty small and butt joining spruce, particularly 1/8 x 1/4 doesn't give much bonding area. I'm sure you will get that lined out.

We had a little splash of sunshine early on this side of the creek, but the day ended up cloudy and damp, although warm, as the front came through.

a--

andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:44 am

Cool day in shop and flying all in one clip ! The Air Tractor is pretty impressive i looked at some of the video . RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:26 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Another great video Kim.  Love the inside the cockpit Go-pro.  No drag.  Learned something - heat the epoxy on a lamp.  Makes dispensing so much easier.  Don't know how much epoxy I have wasted pumping it out cold.  

Bob

Thanks Bob!!!

One note of caution from my VAST Epoxy Experience (in creating problems for myself, that is)...be SURE you just warm your epoxy to room temperature, or nearly so. I discovered that an excess amount of warming can turn your 5-minute epoxy into 1 1/2-minute epoxy!

"Let's just cut it out and do it again Kim"
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:39 pm

andrew wrote:Great shop day video!  Noticed you were well clear of the plane eating tree this time and greased it in nicely.  

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is with that.  The plane flys the same all the time so, I guess we know where the problem lives!!! Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Like Bob, the epoxy heater is a tip to remember - I water bath mine or give the bottles a quick zap in the microwave.  

I was a little surprised that the polyhedral wing tip was just butt joined without any through spar support.  Although the spruce spars were capped with fiberglass, the size of the cap was pretty small and butt joining spruce, particularly 1/8 x 1/4 doesn't give much bonding area.  I'm sure you will get that lined out.

Yeah...one great advantage is that the wing broke nice and clean  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked Won't happen again!!!  When I get done with my spar doublers, that sucker will create carnage the next time it breaks!!!!

We had a little splash of sunshine early on this side of the creek, but the day ended up cloudy and damp, although warm, as the front came through.

Well, if the wind will lay a bit, I can stand a bit of moisture or snow when the flying bug bites, and it's even fun...sorta.  Weird thing though...I had several warm, perfect days in a row a few weeks ago, and just WOULD NOT FLY ANYTHING.  Just Strange Old Guy Syndrome.
Old Bugger  Old Bugger  Old Bugger

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:06 pm

Yes, I do love that Crop Duster.

Was headed toward doing one in yellow based on the Air Truk (Paint scheme designed by Levent), then I got side-tracked by Mr. Mazda and Mr. Wankel.

But I do dearly love that .010 Avenger.

Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri. P1014708
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:09 pm

Hi Kim,
I like the forethought of putting the camera for a perfect landing. Sweet!
I am not the only one who likes flying over/under power lines. Thanks.
The Butterfly wings were made for lawn dart landings.
Last one I saw had an old .25
Wings folded 1/4 through a loop. Fuselage went up. As the wing panels fluttered down.
It was 6in deep in soft ground.
I think the Butterfly wings were designed for a nice Golden Bee.
But that is just me.
Keep having fun.
Your friend,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 pm

HalfaDave wrote:Hi Kim,
I like the forethought of putting the camera for a perfect landing. Sweet!
Thank You!  I've reached the point where I almost always have SOME kind of camera on board when flying.  It comes in handy this time of year when flying tapers a bit, and gives me some entertainment with my hot chocolate.

I am not the only one who likes flying over/under power lines. Thanks.
The Butterfly wings were made for lawn dart landings.
Last one I saw had an old .25
Wings folded 1/4 through a loop. Fuselage went up. As the wing panels fluttered down.
It was 6in deep in soft ground.
I think the Butterfly wings were designed for a nice Golden Bee.
But that is just me.
Keep having fun.

Yeah...the Butterfly's fuse DOES look a bit like a javelin!!! Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  
I get chills thinking about the loops and snaps (almost too slow to call it a "snap"...but still) I hauled it through.  I DO believe the wing will be plenty strong once I brace the spars in both wings.  

This one is also powered by a .25---a fairly vintage O.S. and it gets along nicely.  
I've also got its little brother, the "Piece of Cake", built by my ex-father inlaw, and it's got a Black Widow in its snout.  So now, I'll probably be cutting some inspection holes in its wing to see if it's got the same butt-glued panels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8VFnBTH6u8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEB49I9e0Pk&t=23s

Thanks for your post, and again, Welcome to the C.E.F.!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:41 pm

Hi Kim,
Thanks for making me laugh out loud.
Cleared out the boogers/snot in my nasal passeges. !
Having Fun.
Is what it is all about.
Leroy Cox was just a stepping stone.
A very solid stepping stone.
Having a Laugh flying is what it is all about.

10/20yrs ago we were flying off ice and snow.
Temp dipped in misty conditions.
Landed at full throttle.
Peeled off 1/8th in. of ice on all the flying surfaces.
The plane was more than twice the weight on landing, than takeoff.

Have Fun Kim,
Your friend,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Shop Time and a Little Bit of Flying on a Cold, Damp Day in Missouri. Empty Shop time and a little flying

Post  66 Malibu Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:43 pm

Hi Kim,
Love your vid of the Dynaflite Butterfly that always brings a smile to my face.
Just curious if that model was also produced by Kyosho as the Papillon (Butterfly) and sold thru Hobby Lobby in the1960's and 70's?
I saw a vid on Youtube about 15 years ago by a Spanish guy who did the build and first flights with a NIB Cox QRC for power. Still trying to find that vid again but it must have been cleaned out by Youtube years ago.
I finally found one but needed the vid to spark me into action.
Great job, Steve.
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down