Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Plans for my latest scratch designed and built half-A profile Slab Plane Cox_ba12

Plans for my latest scratch designed and built half-A profile Slab Plane Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:10 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Plans for my latest scratch designed and built half-A profile Slab Plane Empty
Live on Patrol

Plans for my latest scratch designed and built half-A profile Slab Plane

Go down

Happy Plans for my latest scratch designed and built half-A profile Slab Plane

Post  Yabby Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:58 am

These plans need changing. If you intend to use them as they are you may split wings in simple crashes. I am going to up date them to a 2.5mm wing and bring the firewall blocks back further and run 2 mm doublers under the plane. As the plans are I flew it again this morning in 10kmh winds on 52 ft lines and it flew awesome. But it has some flaws that need fixing.

The image below is for my latest plane I have designed and built that I have been flying and found to actually be quite a decent plane and quite a capable plane. I have a PDF of the plans that scales properly if anyone wants them. Otherwise the image is below. I havent written the build notes yet. But anyone who could fly it probably wouldnt need them. Its not a learner plane though. I would say it an intermeadiate skilled plane. Someone who can allready do loops and wingovers no problem. But then again if you set the bellcrank and control horn to sane settings it may be ok for learning on. The issue for learning on it, is being 2 mm balsa when it gets crashed it cannot be said to have been "built too heavy" Lol. It tends to split the wing.

But Ive flown it a lot now and flown long lines, especially when I put a TD 049 on it and found with the long lines I could open my loops out and actually fly it through the loop rather than flying along and then just full up and see what happens. Lol. It is a surprisingly good flyer.

Plans for my latest scratch designed and built half-A profile Slab Plane X-120210

Yabby

Last edited by Yabby on Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited top paragraph after finding constant structural flaw in design. So use as is and be wary Or wait for changes. Yabby)
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: Plans for my latest scratch designed and built half-A profile Slab Plane

Post  rdw777 Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:15 am

Hi Yabby, Thanks for sharing the specs of your X-1202 … ….I’m not currently flying any CL now but find the mechanics of it very interesting …. To fly this little thing on 52’ lines, Even by accident the first time, Is amazing!!!…. I understand it is more practical to fly on 42’s to be stunt able but still a wonderful  achievement…. The spin dizzy in me thinks slower lap times and like you say, more sky….I like too the quick build part of it…Sort of a combat style approach….I may have missed it on your drawing but what does it weigh?….Please continue to share your flying experiences with this nice little jigger …Next time I go out to my site for gas powered planes I’m going to check out opportunities for CL…. I would have to take a plywood “runway” for sure and landing may be rough..,

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: Plans for my latest scratch designed and built half-A profile Slab Plane

Post  Yabby Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:34 am

Hi Robert,

I launch it off of a foldup card/picknick table with a stooge mounted at the back of the table. Using a TD 049 it flies 42 feet with ease. (On calm days I will definately use a TD 049 and 52 feet lines) I am not sure of the weight as I dont have any scales to measure it. I need to get a cheap electronic scale so as that I can evaluate performance against weight etc. Yes, being a combat style plane is the thinking. Not a real combat plane but easy, quick and cheap to build and very manauverable. I think of it in motorbike terms as being a "weekend Boy Racer" bike. Not the best, cheap, low maintenance and easy to work on and able to mix it with bigger and better bikes.

Coreflute is a cheaper way to extend the runway, when I use Surestart type engines I connect a piece of coreflute to my lauch table. Mind you ply or such may be cheaper where your are. Landing isnt too bad. It glides in quite nicely for a slab wing, but needs to fly over grass or as you say landing could be rough. I found as I was working this design and modding it, as the glide improved when it ran out of fuel, the planes performance in manauveres etc. also improved.

I know you fly RC as I have watched your PageBoy build. Its an awesome build! One day Im going to give RC a go. Ive done RC cars but not planes. The build complexity of RC planes is what puts me off of doing it. But I will do it one day. I still have yoo much to learn about CL. cheers sunny

Once I have scales Ill let you know what it weighs.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:48 am

Thanks for the feedback Yabby!!…. Regardless, The power to weight ratio is very high…. A bit of a hot rod Lol!!!

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:49 am

lol! lol! Thumbs Up cheers sunny
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:21 am

Yabby wrote:lol! lol! Thumbs Up cheers sunny

Printed it out.  

Plans for my latest scratch designed and built half-A profile Slab Plane P1014855

Now to get out a magnifying glass and convert mm to inch.  It will make an interesting future project post RX-7.  Only change I will make is substituting a Black Widow.  Maybe a 0.10, 0.20, and .049 versions ala Rene trimotor and Silver Lining editions.  Maybe X-1202 and sons of X-1202................... Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:33 pm

lol! Bob, the rest of the workds therek, Lol. use google. 2.0mm to inches
https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/length/mm-to-inch.html has all the conversions you will need, they have them as table and also the calcs needed.

I can work with both but I use metric as its simpler.

Yep, a black widow will do the job real fine. By the time you have done the mazda I will have aupdated the plans with a plate at the front botton the width of the firewall going back 100 mm nad with a slot so it glues solid. Adds weight but no much and strenghtens the plane heaps when you pancake it via a powered landing or such, Lol.

For a moment I tought you were going to mount all three engines on it Lol. Then I realized a possible brace of builds to support the engines! Yes, makes much better sense. lol!

Yabby

Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:35 pm

Yes, I have worn that conversion site out.  Like Rene, I'm fighting metric every inch of the way.  Smile

Maybe X-1202, = 12049, 12020, and 12010.  Smile Or.............or build a 56" and mount an Enya .29 on it. Bet it would bring a smile (or a frown to Ken.) Maybe send it up to Pennsylvania. Smile

Plans for my latest scratch designed and built half-A profile Slab Plane P1014856

Black Widow only because Im to lazy to install a remote tank.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:30 pm

[quote="rsv1cox"]

Maybe X-1202, = 12049, 12020, and 12010.

1202 is a nod to the apollo 11 landing, it was the primary alarm that looked like maybe having the mission aborted but was not a critical alarm in some ways. and both Armstrong and Aldrin have said that no alarm was stopping them putting that jigger on the lunar surface. 1201 was the other alarm they had once.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Plans for your plane

Post  RK Flyer Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:05 pm

[list]
[*][/list  Yabby, Is there any way to get a full size copy of your plans for the "X1202" ?

Thanks ,RK Flyer
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:40 pm

Hey Rk Flyer, The only way I can think oof is if I email them to you. You can PM me your email address and I am happy to email the PDF to you. Thumbs Up The forum doesnt seem to have any other way to exchange or make available PDF files. If you know of how to do it other than email, I am happy to do so. Either way.

GaryB
'Yabby'
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:48 pm

Note: Use 2.5mm for the wing NOT 2.0mm  I have recently found when flown very hard with a TD the thin 2.0mm wing tends to split. Needs to be 2.5mm. I am building and partly redisgning the plane to account for this and strengthening the underside of the engine mount area of the fuse. Its a method Ive used before, and didnt on X1202 as I went all out for weight reduction, and went too far. It will still fly 42 ft lines easy when Ive add the minor strength changes.

GaryB
'Yabby'
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down