Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

New Acquisition.. Cox_ba12

New Acquisition.. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 1:53 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 1:20 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 1:06 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 12:00 am

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 4:41 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 12:04 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 11:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 6:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 1:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

New Acquisition.. Empty
Live on Patrol

New Acquisition..

Go down

New Acquisition.. Empty New Acquisition..

Post  MauricioB Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:19 am

Well, it's about another Cox Babe Bee .049 engine, which popped up online. I liked this engine for the year of manufacture, for its box and for its cylinder, it is the number 2 of a single transfer.
Upon receiving the engine, I noticed that it was really new without use, they had tried to remove the glow plug, but without success, since I noticed a small mark on it, then, I took a Cox tool and trying to remove it, the cylinder seized. It came along with the glow plug.
For this reason, I decided to do a process on the integral cylinder:
1)Anchor for the Cox key that allows it to be held securely.
2) Grinding of the outer wall of the cylinder, to place an acceleration ring in the future and that works perfectly without play.
3) Touch up the glow plug itself with the lathe to remove that old mark from its previous owner.
4) bluing of the cylinder to return to its original color.
5) Armed and put in its box waiting for a project or it will remain there as a collector's item.
Here are the photos!

New Acquisition.. 20230330
New Acquisition.. 20230310
New Acquisition.. 20230311
New Acquisition.. 20230314
New Acquisition.. 20230315
New Acquisition.. 20230317
New Acquisition.. 20230318
New Acquisition.. 20230319
New Acquisition.. 20230320
New Acquisition.. 20230321
New Acquisition.. 20230322
New Acquisition.. 20230323
New Acquisition.. 20230324
New Acquisition.. 20230325
New Acquisition.. 20230326
New Acquisition.. 20230327
New Acquisition.. 20230328
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

New Acquisition.. Empty Re: New Acquisition..

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:17 am

Tu obra en ese motor es perfecto, calidad alta definitivamente Your work on that engine is perfect, definitely high quality. 👍
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:52 am

Mauricio. You have done an excellent job of refurbishing that engine. Please share with us the method that you have used for re-blueing the cylinder.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:43 pm

Excellent job on the cylinder redo for throttle ring and removal slots , that looks like a process i have not used and came out very Nice ! .... A project ? will bee interesting because the BB doesn't have a lot of power and knowing you fly RC only . Cool I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:22 pm

I always love to see your beautiful, precision work Mauricio ….
The Bee is a classic and will be in good hands under your ownership….. Is there some special reason the #2 cylinder appealed to you?….. I like them too, Not all have to be most powerful possible …. Very Happy

Roberto
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:03 am

Thank you all for your comments!!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:04 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Mauricio.  You have done an excellent job of refurbishing that engine.  Please share with us the method that you have used for re-blueing the cylinder.

Rod.

bluing
Items:
Stainless steel container.
Metal container (metal does not matter)
clean common water
Potassium nitrate
Caustic soda
medical alcohol
Heater
Tweezers
Wooden rod
Safety equipment:
Gloves and goggles
Procedure:
In the stainless steel container place:
6 parts of water
6 parts caustic soda
1 ½ part of potassium nitrate.
With a wooden rod and protecting your eyes with goggles, and your hands with gloves, stir the content until you get a good mix, (you will notice that the caustic soda and potassium nitrate remain at the bottom of the container.
Place the container in a heater and wait for the mixture to boil, stir the mixture in the meantime.
With the mixture boiling, place the piece to buff previously degreased with alcohol, with a holder (it can be a piece of wire).
While the piece is submerged in the mixture, at intervals, stir the mixture itself on the sides with the wooden stick.
Leave the piece for about 30 minutes in the boiling mixture.
Lift the wire or hanger that holds the piece to bluing with a pair of pliers and contemplate the colouring. If the color is not the desired one, submerge it again for another 30 minutes.
Remove the submerged part and remove the mixture from the heater.
Place common water in another metal container and place that container in the heater, place the piece with the hanger in common water and leave it there for about 20 minutes with boiling water.
Remove the piece with pliers and contemplate the coloring. The process should be finished.
If the color is still not as desired, repeat the entire procedure.
After the process, clean everything with common water.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:13 am

Eric and Roberto, dear friends, I like the Cox single transfer engine because it has low consumption and the power is very good in relation to fuel consumption.
It has great advantages for motorsailers, minithermics and even some model trainer aircraft as well.
The video that I leave here, it is about my SCAMP plane, the same one, it has a Cox engine with a single transfer, it has a very even and very safe march, I am not saying it, but you can see the video, the confidence that He tells me that I fly over the lagoon a few meters in over the water and the engine is always safe in its operation.
I am simply very seduced by the simple, but quality, Cox Babe Bee motor with a single transfer meets that!
Here the video, I hope you like it:
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:56 am

Very nice flying of your Cox single cylinder bypass engine, Mauricio.

You are correct, I had similar experiences with my 1970's Golden Bee single bypass cylinder on my Q-Tee. Really didn't need Black Widow power. It had good, reasonable duration flights. Initially I flew the Q-Tee with single channel rudder only pulse and a throttle ring on the Bee, worked well. Later after assembling my Charlie's R/C Cannon 4-channel system with 2 mini servos, converted Q-Tee to rudder & elevator.

With the right setup and plane, the single bypass cylinder Cox is more than sufficient.

And, you are very brave to fly your plane so close over the water. I am not as bold. I'd be afraid to crash the plane into the water, and have to get a boat (un barco) to retrieve it.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:52 am

Congratulations Mauricio! The new engine looks very nice! I enjoyed the video also. I always enjoy your videos! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:14 am

Great work on the engine and the flying Mauricio. I greatly enjoyed the video. It really showed how a plane can fly / be flown very well with a lower power engine when the plane and engine are matched well and both in excellent condition and of course a pilot that knows how to fly the plane so well. Thumbs Up
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:41 am

Perfect work Mauricio.

Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:51 pm

That is a different stroke for bluing and works well , I don't understand how the process can turn the bare metal to a blue/black ? There are some dangerous ingredients in the formula that you don't want to breath , But i am sure you already know this .... Very nice flight ( I remember see you build this now and that you had used the BB for power ). sunny cheers Thanks as always !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:55 pm

Mauricio,

I like the video! I wonder if the engine was actually a Bee, whose integral tank would probably run dry in a 6 minutes flight...so this was probably a COX 049 reedie, but with an external tank?

I also like the magic recipe and ingredients of  the bluing process... I am a bit lazy and prefer the simple gun-blue fluids, sold by gun shops, and apply the bluing fluid on the de-greased cylinder external surface with the help of a cotton ear bud.

The bluing fluid should possibly avoid contacting the cylinder internal surface. Even if the blackened spots on the cylinder inside wall will disappear after a few engine runs, the fluid itself is changing the metallurgy of the cylinder internal wall in a thin layer, that, being as accurately fit as it is, you want to avoid.

Last edited by balogh on Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:45 pm

That is perfect reasoning Mauricio to choose the single port cylinder….. Choose the right engine for the performance outcome that you want Thumbs Up …. It’s nice how Cox made such a variety of engines and options in this size range to give modelers a huge choice for best engine for the job….. The plane and piloting are excellent, Thank you for sharing Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:33 pm

Esa experiencia compartió por Mauricio muestra que con el motor correcto, el avión volaría muy bueno.
That experience shared by Mauricio shows that with the right engine, the plane would fly very good.

The aircraft is lightweight and very well constructed. Very Happy

balogh wrote:The bluing fluid should possibly avoid contacting the cylinder internal surface. Even if the blackened spots on the cylinder inside wall will disappear after a few engine runs, the fluid itself is changing the metallurgy of the cylinder internal wall in a thin layer, that, being as accurately fit as it is, you want to avoid.
András, does the bluing chemical treatment weaken the steel surfaces? If so, are we talking a few molecules thick, or, considerably more? Perhaps etches away enough to compromise longevity and fit? Huh... Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:23 pm

George, yes, the bluing may make the top layer of the cylinder surface brittle and wear off..I am not sure how deep the material transformation is, but would think that with the small dimensions of these engines any unwanted material loss is better to be avoided to save compression..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:48 pm

Thanks for all the comments!!!
Now after my visit to the doctor I'm at work, yes! Well, you also have to work hahaha, not everything can be fun!!...
When I return, I will make more comments about the bluing!!!
Thank you!!!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:09 pm

Tan contrario, Mauricio, estoy ya en mi jubilación, ¡jajaja! To the contrary, I am already in my retirement!  Laughing

Which brings up an interesting question. An aluminium piston is available for Cox. 049.

In an ABC setup, once warmed up to operating temperature, I believe the thermal expansion of the brass sleeve (don't know the exact brass or aluminium alloys but following used as typical, Yellow Brass = 20.3 (10^-6/(m C))) is close enough to aluminium (T6061 = 23.4 (10^-6/(m C)).

But, there is a bit of difference when a steel sleeve (Wrought Carbon Steel = 14.0 (10^-6/(m C)) is used.

I ruined my aluminium piston in my 1971 Honda CB125S steel sleeve cylinder motor when I overheated the engine climbing a long incline hill.

Is there is a similar possibility to ruin a Cox engine using that aluminium piston in a reed valve steel cylinder? I suppose the good is that with a lighter piston would reduce vibration.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:55 am

getback wrote:That is a different stroke for bluing and works well , I don't understand how the process can turn the bare metal to a blue/black ? There are some dangerous ingredients in the formula that you don't want to breath , But i am sure you already know this .... Very nice flight ( I remember see you build this now and that you had used the BB for power ). sunny cheers  Thanks as always !

Thanks Eric!...of course, I've been doing this for a few years. You must do the process outdoors...you don't want to end up becoming something strange hahaha

New Acquisition.. Hulk10
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:17 am

balogh wrote:Mauricio,

I like the video! I wonder if the engine was actually a Bee, whose integral tank would probably run dry in a 6 minutes flight...so this was probably a COX 049 reedie, but with an external tank?

I also like the magic recipe and ingredients of  the bluing process... I am a bit lazy and prefer the simple gun-blue fluids, sold by gun shops, and apply the bluing fluid on the de-greased cylinder external surface with the help of a cotton ear bud.

The bluing fluid should possibly avoid contacting the cylinder internal surface. Even if the blackened spots on the cylinder inside wall will disappear after a few engine runs, the fluid itself is changing the metallurgy of the cylinder internal wall in a thin layer, that, being as accurately fit as it is, you want to avoid.

Hello András, the engine is a Babe Bee .049 with a single transfer, from which I removed the original tank, I put a surestar plate and a fuel tank inside the fuselage.
If you read my comment on the video, what I want to highlight in my own comment is:
1) The reliable gear of the 1 transfer engine.
2) The more than enough power of a transfer engine to take the model airplane by the hairs.
3) The security at all times of operation of the engine of 1 transfer, to take the model very deep on the lagoon and not feel insecurity at any time.

Fuel duration is a separate issue, with the 1-transfer engine the fuel will last longer than if you use a more powerful 2-transfer engine. That, regardless of the tank that engine has.

About the way to strut I have to tell you the following:
The process generates a thickening of the surface, for this reason if you do not want to thicken the interior of the cylinder, placing a wooden stick as seen in the procedure, the cylinder will remain intact inside. Now in my experience with some old and heavily used cylinders you can put the cylinder in without the wooden stick inside, just a piece of wire to hold it, the bluing process will thicken the inside surface and then after the process of bluing, you must make a readjustment or seating of the cylinder and piston.
To do that, the technique I use is the same as the video I did where I start with a Norvel .061 engine, that is, you use a heat gun, and a starter, with the addition of mineral oil.
Through this procedure, I have recovered some engine by improving its compression. It is important for recovered cylinders that this process has been done to use castor oil, not synthetic, that helps a recovered cylinder even more.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:40 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Tan contrario, Mauricio, estoy ya en mi jubilación, ¡jajaja! To the contrary, I am already in my retirement!  Laughing

Which brings up an interesting question. An aluminium piston is available for Cox. 049.

Is there is a similar possibility to ruin a Cox engine using that aluminium piston in a reed valve steel cylinder? I suppose the good is that with a lighter piston would reduce vibration.

I am very glad that he is retired and that he can have fun...it's fair!

You can use the aluminum alloy piston in Cox's steel cylinder, but be sure to use a castor oil fuel, NOT SYNTHETIC. The castor oil will provide adequate lubrication and prolong the life of the piston.
Use a mix of:

standard
20% Castor
15% Nitro
65% Methanol

Competition
20% Castor
25% Nitro
55% Methanol
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:06 am

MauricioB wrote:You can use the aluminum alloy piston in Cox's steel cylinder, but be sure to use a castor oil fuel, NOT SYNTHETIC. The castor oil will provide adequate lubrication and prolong the life of the piston.

Use a mix of:

Standard
20% Castor
15% Nitro
65% Methanol

Competition
20% Castor
25% Nitro
55% Methanol
Me parece una buena idea. Good Idea

Por supuesto con una excepción, tengo el aceite de ricino 50 por ciento porque mi combustible tenga algunos aceite sintético. Embarassed La tienda más cercano (155 km de distancia) no tiene combustible con 100 por ciento ricino lamentablemente. Sad

Of course with one exception, about my fuel, it has castor oil 50 percent because my fuel has some synthetic oil. Embarassed The nearest store (155 km away) has no fuel with 100 percent castor unfortunately. Sad
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down