Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Cox_ba12

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 1:49 pm

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Empty
Live on Patrol

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Empty Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:18 am

Tonight I won a Sportsman, eBay a legacy reed valve .15. Am stoked. Stereo
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Cox_sp10
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Cox_sp11

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Cox_sp12

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Cox_sp13
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Cox_sp14

Tax and shipping included, $81. I don't know what you folks think. To me, this is a rarer Cox to obtain. I think it is of greater value than the .15 Medallion. It does show signs of some mishandling by the combination pliers marks on the prop thrust plate, but otherwise appears clean, seller has a very high rating.

If it works out, I will be able to clean up the scarring on it with some carefully filing and polishing. Would be a good engine to power my 33 inch Midwest P-40 Warhawk. Very Happy

Will know more when it is in my hands, hopefully in about a week. Popcorn
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Empty Re: Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman

Post  rdw777 Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:09 am

Very nice and congratulations George Very Happy….. Being from the early era with keen focus on precision I bet the fits are wonderful….Sounds like a nice mate to your similar era P-40….
I’m guessing the Cox may be a little narrower than other .15’s so you may have to adjust the mount a little but that would not be a problem…Also is probably a lighter engine so a little attention to build the tail lite making for an overall better flyer…..This will be a fun engine to tune up/shine up and make ‘er sing….Please let us know how it works out…

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:34 am

Nice looking Sportsman , I was looking for the video of mine running some years ago but its been removed Sad Anyway it is a nice easy starter and ran good just a test run no plane for it though. I am sure you will enjoy the engine would love to see you get it mounted on a plane and give it a whirl ! Very Happy This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:03 am

It's seems hard to find a Sportsman in decent shape. I have one that is junk, bought years ago. I like the way the Sportsman and Spacehopper look. The .15 must be awfully loud.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:33 am

Hello friend GallopingGhostler , congratulations on your new acquisition!
I have two Sportsman .15, I bought them separately, each one from their own owners, they are very little used.
I made some modifications, without damaging the original parts, so if you remove the parts you put on, you can return it to its original state.
What I did was adapt the carb from a .30 4 stroke engine, just use the barrel air valve to get control of the rpm and that's how I converted them to RC.
I also made a muffler for one of them, as it is very noisy, it really makes a lot of noise and with the muffler it is a pleasure.
Here I leave some videos.
I have dedicated part of this work to Mr. Dale Kirn, who was the creator of the Stortsman .15 engine.
A shout out to my friend Brad who gave me the idea to put in an air valve for engine control.
P.S. I love your cover photo!! LLLLUUUUPPPPIIIINNNNN Beer Cheers

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman 20230332

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:23 am

Congrats, George! I'm sure you will have it looking a treat when you get your hands on it. I've always thought the Sportsman had a sleek and fast look to it.

I have one, never run, that likely will stay that way. I expect it will end up in some estate sale for $10. Sad
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:45 pm

Thank you all, for the encouragement! Helps me to know I made the right decision to purchase it! More to follow when I receive it.

MauricioB wrote:I have two Sportsman .15, [...] I made some modifications, without damaging the original parts, [...] What I did was adapt the carb from a .30 4 stroke engine, just use the barrel air valve to get control of the rpm and that's how I converted them to RC. I also made a muffler for one of them, [...] Here I leave some videos. I have dedicated part of this work to Mr. Dale Kirn, who was the creator of the Sportsman .15 engine. [...]
Eses videos son muy interesante, también tu obra propria como un mecanico ¡es muy excelente! These videos are very interesting, also your own work as a mechanic is very excellent!

MauricioB wrote:P.S. I love your cover photo!! LLLLUUUUPPPPIIIINNNNN Beer Cheers
Lo me gusta mucha la revista de Lúpin porque la ayudame comprender el idioma de español. I really like Lúpin magazine because it helps me to learn the Spanish language. Yo lo leo a menudo. I read it often. También lo dame una razón que reírse. Plus, it gives me a reason to laugh. Laughing Tengo muchas gracias cuando en otro foro encontraba esa enlace de red. I am very thankful when in another forum I found that network link.
MauricioB wrote:Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman 20230332
Yo veo un ganador potencial para el próximo concurso mensual del motor de Cox. Thumbs Up I see a potential winner for the next monthly Cox Engine Contest.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : He corregido la ortografía de «comprender».)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:53 pm

Looks like some fun for sure George!
Thank you Mauricio~

I have snagged two Olympics and 2 Sportsman's - 3 with vintage aftermarket throttle exhausts.
Inner half circle shells with outer throttle sleeve.

Cox .15 aftermarket throttles:
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Thrott10
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman 15_oly11
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman 15_oly12

Cox slide throttles.
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Imag7611

Small Cox Logo RC Plane Thumbs Up

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:18 am

1/2A Nut wrote:I have snagged two Olympics and 2 Sportsman's - 3 with vintage aftermarket throttle exhausts. Inner half circle shells with outer throttle sleeve. Cox .15 aftermarket throttles:
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Thrott10
Brad, love those aftermarket throttle rings, they permit SPI to work effectively yet allow the engine to properly idle. Also, yours have the snap starter, was this aftermarket, too? Too bad Cox discontinued the Sportsman (and Olympic).

I gather that it was a cost cutting measure, the Tee Dee derivative, the Medallion .15 was cheaper to produce since it used the base parts (crankcase, crankshaft, and upper parts with one less bypass) from the Tee Dee with less expensive and simpler machining, simplified venturi system, with at least the same power as the Sportsman.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:45 am

thank you for your comment.
The Sportsman also has another extra advantage, it can rotate the propeller clockwise or counterclockwise, when experimenting with models and propellers, the engine is a great contribution.
You know, my Sportsman has never been planted, it always runs perfectly, it doesn't need to pressurize the tank, since the suction generated by the crankcase is more than enough in sharp climbs.
I like the Sportsman! ... making the silencer is another great advantage, you can fly it in any club, since the desibeles are allowed and it's nice, I DO NOT DISTURB the marching sound of it.
A few years ago I presented it in the Engine of the Month, but it did not get many votes, I suppose that many people have not used it with all the possibilities that this engine has, I think that if you have a Sportsman .15 soon, you will have an engine with many possibilities of use.
Maybe I'll present it again in the engine of the month, who knows!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:00 pm

Currently there is a Cox Sportsman .15 for sale on the RC Groups classified section for $60.00

Click on the link below to go straight to it:

Cox Sportsman .15 for sale --- $60.00

Just a heads up for you Sportsman guys that just posted here?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:22 pm

here is a model airplane enjoying a Comanche with a Storsman .15...surely it will take many of them back in time.
Although I was born in 1971, I feel that the time from 1958 onwards regarding all these Cox creations, must have been a great encouragement to many enthusiasts, I think it must have been a wonderful time for the hobby and for Cox!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:53 pm

Today It arrived, now have it in my hands. It sort of resembles a rear rotor Tee Dee, if Cox were ever to make one.

It has new like compression indicating that it was probably run, but not much. The plier marks on the prop thrust washer isn't as bad as it appears in the photos. The burrs will clean up nicely with some very gentle filing and rubbing down with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. It resembles a rear intake Tee Dee, does not use SPI, which is interesting. Entonces el silenciador hecho por Marcio estaba práctico porque el motor no tenga SPI. Very Happy Then the silencer by Maricio was practical as the engine has no SPI.

The top fin on the steel cylinder does show some pliers tooling marks, but not bad also. Some gentle filing of the burrs on the fin and touch up with bluing with clean that up.

Someone did clean and oil it because it shows no Castor drag. The glow head looks new without any clip marks on it.

Regarding loudness, I imagine it will probably be as loud as a Testors .19 Red Head or OK Cub .14/.19. Anyone who flies unmuffled control line aircraft will probably feel comfortable with its sound.

More to come ...
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:50 pm

Went to the garage digging in my desk drawer. Eyebrows
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman 2023-065

I found a Hayes AL-15 long motor mount that fits this Cox .15 Sportsman (el Deportista Very Happy ). Don't mind the background engine clutter (no necesita preocupar porque lo no importa Very Happy ).
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman 2023-066
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:10 am

Just also wanted to mention, @Mike1484 sent me a kit of parts for my Sportsman .15 a few weeks ago.
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman 2023-100
Parts: Reed Retainer, Reed Valve, Needle Valve & Spring x2, Prop Screw, original muffler and snap spring starter.

The muffler is only missing the circular spring cover, but it would be easy to make something to substitute and restore full muffling capability. Thank you, Mike! Thumbs Up

He also sent a photocopy of the Feb. 2023 Model Aviation Magazine cover with a note that it was he and his R/C club that helped the high school kids in the cover photo.

He only asked that I in return, pass the favor along. I Love This Forum!

Tonight, placed an order for two .15 wrenches from @ExModelEngines.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:46 am

I'm enjoying this thread George, congratulations on getting a Sportsman and appreciating Mike for helping you out.

When back in the mid seventies I moved from flying to mainly collecting, the Cox Sportsman was one of those "had to haves." I had been dealing with an internet friend Bill Dahlgren Jr. on several engines and he mentioned that he had a Sportsman. Thought you might enjoy reading about it.

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Scan_170
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Scan_171
Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Scan_172

The Sportsman. I haven't seen it for years. Either I sold it/gave it away or it has slipped back into the inner sanctum of my collections dark places. The Russians are in the box collecting dust.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:54 am

Those are really nice letters by your friend, Bill Dahlgren Jr., thanks for sharing them, Bob.

When you mean Internet, aren't you referring to the later years when you were still communicating with Bill? I was communicating with engine and model design guru, Joe Wagner in the late 1990's to early 2000's by E-mail. He had an Internet PDF small engines and airplanes newsletter that he'd compile from various people E-mailing to him their experiences. Maintained a downloadable FTP archive of these newsletters. (How many remember, File Transfer Protocol?) silent

In the late 1980's to early 1990's, I was still working bulletin boards on a 1200 Baud (120 characters a second) modem. A bit earlier, was using a Radio Shack Color Computer II in 1986 and working bulletin boards on a 300 Baud (30 characters a second) modem. Then upgraded to a used CP/M-80 Xerox business computer, after to an IBM/XT then AT clone. Had IBM mainframe E-mail by remote terminal at work. The go-to software office suite then was Wordstar 3.0, all text base.

Typewritten 1976, that was a while back, 47 years to be exact. I was still in my rudder only years. Similarly, I have a typewritten letter by William W. (Bill) Winter in the 1980's, may be late 1970's. I've misplaced it, may be in a box in the garage. Then, I had two Jetex 50 engines in their original bubble pack cardboard containers, reminiscient of how they sold things back in the 1960's. With no source for fuel pellets then, I decided to mail both to him as a gift.

He wrote me back a really nice letter, even explaining how he has a blast flying his Buzzard Bombshell. Got it up high enough, caught a thermal and for the next upteen minutes, was soaring with all fuel exhausted, contributing how I can further enjoy the sport. Been promising to post that letter, whenever I come across it again.

Yesterday was kind of quiet in this forum, perhaps because it was the last day the US federal and many state income tax filings were due? Tired w/ Coffee Read Huh...
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:41 am

Yes, snail mail and typewriters evolved into internet and keyboards over the years. I first met Bill through a magazine article probably one of the modelers. We traded engines and experiences. Like everything else time overcomes and I haven't heard from him lately.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:31 am

That's Great George , nothing like goodies to fix one up right ... Way to go Mike ! Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo Bob that's a crazy right there LOL I was reading it as it popped up first w/o reading the header and it thought WTH then went back and seen 1970 DUH Very Happy ( i havent read it all but first 2 pages ) This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:24 pm

My first computer crashed taking everything with it, but I saved some of his letters.  Now I save my pictures to memory sticks.

His dealings with the Russians.

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Scan_177

And my P-38 just after I finished it and before it got all beat up.  (I sent everybody pictures of my P-38 Smile)

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman Scan_175
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:01 pm

Interesting read, Bob, thanks for sharing. People are people, too bad those your friend were dealing with weren't faithful. Only Russian engines I have now are the Norvels.

At one time, I was thinking about buying a Ural sidecar motorcycle. Now with the embargo with their country, probably support for that motorcycle is nill, unless it is okay to buy parts supplied through others.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:42 pm

"Ural sidecar motorcycle"
you accidentally misspelled it, you forgot the "IN" in the middle. Very Happy
This is joke a dear friend of mine, practical physicist, ex Russian Army, graduate of Moscow Polytechnic told me. Its true.

I've owned and ridden them. great bikes, if you know what they are and how to use them. 45mph. don't even THINK about going on the freeway.

You don't need to buy parts, everything on it can be repaired with a hammer and some duct tape.
but if you need parts, anything from any year will fit any Ur(in)al - up till fuel injection.
IMZ has been importing them for years, and has a HUGE inventory as well - https://www.imz-ural.com/

Having owned one, if I really really REALLY wanted a sidecar, I'd buy a used, turnkey, ready-to-go BMW outfit. Like the one I built to replace my Ur(in)al
Make sure you get one with Earles front end. It will be faster, stronger, easier to maintain, and you won't constantly be swearing.

Ural is like a boat, the happiest days are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it (at a HUGELY discounted price, cause ya never wanna see it again)

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:44 pm

cstatman wrote:"Ural sidecar motorcycle". you accidentally misspelled it, you forgot the "IN" in the middle. Very Happy This is joke a dear friend of mine, practical physicist, ex Russian Army, graduate of Moscow Polytechnic told me.  Its true...  my Ur(in)al.
OK, missed that last statement. Cool

cstatman wrote:I've owned and ridden them.  great bikes, if you know what they are and how to use them.  45mph.   don't even THINK about going on the freeway.
Latest versions, they upped CC's to 850?, heard that sweet spot was 55 to 65 MPH (if need be), no more. Lots of 2 lane roads through NM, TX, AZ, CO, UT, KS, OK, etc. (BTDT Very Happy ) So, one doesn't need to stick to the main highways.  Cool

cstatman wrote:You don't need to buy parts, everything on it can be repaired with a hammer and some duct tape.
but if you need parts, anything from any year will fit any Ur(in)al - up till fuel injection.
IMZ has been importing them for years, and has a HUGE inventory as well - https://www.imz-ural.com/
Oh,  Huh... like the H-D's. Surprised About 10 years ago, the H-D Museum had extra copies of the 1940's H-D military Army Tech Manual (repair) they were selling for $15 each plus shipping. I bought 2 copies, became birthday presents for those in my then CMA motorcycle chapter that were moving out of the area.

I told them, "This manual should help you repair your H-D motorcycles. The bikes haven't changed much since then and now." lol!
(Interesting trivial fact, soldiers found out that if they didn't lubricate the chains, let them run dry, they lasted longer in the desert dust than lubricating them. Seems the silica sand wreaked havoc with the bearing surfaces of the chain. Grease caused it to retain the sand and grind away at the metal. Also all kidding aside, only reason why I haven't owned an H-D has been the high cost of obtaining, plus they are theft magnets. Helps to own a bike that few want, like my Kawasaki Voyager XII, although still an excellent riding bike. Someone about 10 years ago stole one of the few original H-D's dated at the start of WW1, belonged to someone here in town. Sad )

cstatman wrote:Having owned one, if I really really REALLY wanted a sidecar,  I'd buy a used, turnkey, ready-to-go BMW outfit.  Like the one I built to replace... Make sure you get one with Earles front end.  It will be faster, stronger, easier to maintain, and you won't constantly be swearing.
Oh, almost like buying a modern electric Tesla. Laughing (Heard about the cost of replacement battery and a fire trap if battery catches fire with you in it on the highway or gotten into an accident. Sad One European contractor took his and blew it up with dynamite. Doh! )

cstatman wrote:Ural is like a boat,  the happiest days are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it (at a HUGELY discounted price, cause ya never wanna see it again)

lol! One of those! Doh! Glad to see that my Cox .15 Sportsman isn't one of those boat type engines. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:24 pm

They arrived yesterday, 4 Cox .15 heads, the 3 without packaging are hemispherical head: 1 unopened in bubble card (says for .15 TD engines - 75¢ - how long ago did .15 heads cost that little?), 2 with exterior corrosion but like new inside the combustion side, and one that looks not used but very dirty inside and out, like it was stored  on a dusty shelf for a long time. I think if I simply soak the head in a solvent will remove the dust.

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman 2024-020

Just won a Cox .15 Sportsman 2024-021

$24.62  - impuestos y envío incluido (tax and shipping included). That comes out to $6.15 each. I'm stoked (estoy avivado). Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:14 am

Good deal on the glow plugs George! I wonder what plug the Sportsman .15 came with? I watched that video of the .15 powered Cox plastic plane and must say that I was impressed with how well it flew. That had to be the best flying Cox plastic model that I ever seen. My best flyer was the TD-3 .

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next