Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut? Cox_ba12

Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 5:36 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 5:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut? Empty
Live on Patrol

Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut?

Go down

Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut? Empty Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut?

Post  Dave Rigotti Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:46 pm

Has anyone used the Sullivan Hi-Tork starter insert #S634 on their 1/2A spinner nuts? Yes? No? Any good?

Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut? Downlo11

Dave Rigotti
Dave Rigotti
Dave Rigotti
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut? Empty Re: Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut?

Post  roddie Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:11 pm

Dave Rigotti wrote:Has anyone used the Sullivan Hi-Tork starter insert #S634 on their 1/2A spinner nuts?  Yes? No? Any good?

Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut? Downlo11

Dave Rigotti

Hi Dave, I haven't.. and am not familiar with any of the Sullivan electric starters.. but many of our members here on the forum have mentioned using the Sullivan 1/2A starter.

My advice for using any electric-assist starter for 1/2A would be to go easy. Resist the temptation to crank until you here combustion. Squirt a few drops of light-oil between the propeller drive-plate and crankcase.. prior to applying any force to the spinner. Doing so will prevent the "premature" wear on the front of the crankcase.. as well as other eventual internal engine wear. I generally apply short/quick "bursts" when engaging the starter Dave. Not too much more than a good healthy "spring-starter" would yield. This helps to avoid any user-induced friction on the engine.

I personally use an electric-starter for my Cox .049 reed-valve engines.. but my starter is a homemade one. I use a little "540" (brushed) can-motor to drive a short (1" long) pc. of 3/8" rubber automotive fuel-tubing.. which faces-up perfectly with the Cox .049 Tee Dee-style aluminum spinner.

A few short-bursts on my elec. starter usually gets them going.. providing the glow-head is lit. Smile

It's great to talk about this stuff. We need to keep the IC model engine torch lit fella's.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut? Empty Re: Sullivan Starter Insert #S634 OK to use on 1/2A spinner nut?

Post  Dave Rigotti Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:38 pm

Roddie,
I never said it was a COX engine.
Still looking for feedback from anyone who has used this insert......
Dave Rigotti
Dave Rigotti
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:58 pm

Yes, I think it looks like the one I use. Not sure what number it is. I wore out the hole years ago and used polyurethane glue to hold in some heater hose that was the right size. Maybe 3/8" or whatever. Then I run up the starter and took a die grinder with a burr and made a taper to fit the nut. I use it on everything, even .51s. Made a couple hundred acorn nuts out of 3/4" hex stock and some smaller ones. I hate spinners, always left stranded at the field when the prop breaks. For sleeve bearing engines, just a quick bump is good after a few hand flips to make sure it is not over primed. I give maybe 20 hand flips before I go to the starter. Long starter runs are hard on the piston cylinder too if it is dry, and if it is too wet, it normally fires only for a second or so.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Rigotti Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:19 am

Thank You for the informative reply. Yes just quick bumps and hand turn over is the procedure. One on order.

aspeed wrote:Yes, I think it looks like the one I use.  Not sure what number it is.  I wore out the hole years ago and used polyurethane glue to hold in some heater hose that was the right size.  Maybe 3/8" or whatever.  Then I run up the starter and took a die grinder with a burr and made a taper to fit the nut.  I use it on everything, even .51s.  Made a couple hundred acorn nuts out of 3/4" hex stock and some smaller ones.  I hate spinners, always left stranded at the field when the prop breaks.  For sleeve bearing engines, just a quick bump is good after a few hand flips to make sure it is not over primed.  I give maybe 20 hand flips before I go to the starter.  Long starter runs are hard on the piston cylinder too if it is dry, and if it is too wet, it normally fires only for a second or so.
Dave Rigotti
Dave Rigotti
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:02 am

Hey Dave , Are you building a started? If not what happen to the one on the starter ? No Good just wondering Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:31 pm

I just flip my standard one around and have at it. Then I learned that a small engine could easily be damaged by such, so no longer use an electric finger on my 1/2a stuff.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down