Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

All I have are .051s?!? Cox_ba12

All I have are .051s?!? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 4:48 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Today at 4:33 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Today at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Today at 2:32 pm

» Post your Older books
by lla Today at 2:10 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Today at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Today at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:09 am

» Tired of it all…
by roddie Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 10:27 pm

» Science and Mechanics magazine's "Playboy" 14' plywood runabout plans.. circa 1950's
by roddie Yesterday at 9:30 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:07 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

All I have are .051s?!? Empty
Live on Patrol

All I have are .051s?!?

Go down

All I have are .051s?!? Empty All I have are .051s?!?

Post  batjac Fri May 19, 2023 3:29 pm

Getting a project ready for S.M.A.L.L, I need a TD .049. Specifically, I want the black venturi body for the model. Looking at all the engines I have available, the only .049 I can find is the one I built up for the left-hand crank. I should have a couple more somewhere, but I can only find the one. I have several .051s available to me. But black would look better on the model.

*SIGH*

I guess I'll use the left hand engine and dig up a left handed prop.

The Embarrassed Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

All I have are .051s?!? Empty Re: All I have are .051s?!?

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 19, 2023 4:56 pm

batjac wrote:Getting a project ready for S.M.A.L.L, I need a TD .049.  Specifically, I want the black venturi body for the model.  Looking at all the engines I have available, the only .049 I can find is the one I built up for the left-hand crank.  I should have a couple more somewhere, but I can only find the one.  I have several .051s available to me.    But black would look better on the model.

*SIGH*

I guess I'll use the left hand engine and dig up a left handed prop.

The Embarrassed Mark

Hi Mark, I have a couple. Don't know which .049 or .051 but your welcome to either gratis.

Bob

All I have are .051s?!? P1015442
All I have are .051s?!? P1015443
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri May 19, 2023 5:49 pm

Hi Bob!

Thanks for the offer, but I have enough TDs that it would be selfish of me to take you up on the offer, generous though it is.  If I really was concerned about it, I have a couple of spare black venturi bodies that I bought from MECOA that I could swap out with a red one on an engine.  It's not that critical.  Just an aesthetic thing.  But I really do appreciate the offer, My Friend.

Assuming that both your engines are in original condition, they should both be TD .049s.  From Cox, a TD .049 had a black venturi body and the .051 had a red body.  The other quick indicator is if you pull the prop through so that the bottom of the piston is showing, there will be a small line around the bottom of a .051 piston.

Rather than wasting one of those lovelies on me, how about building yourself a little B-25 or a Nakajima Gekko Junkers JU 88.  Put those puppies to work.

The Touched Mark

*Sorry, I think I'll build the Gekko myself...
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 19, 2023 6:32 pm

Disappointing Mark, I thought I had just what you were looking for. I'm at a point now where I just want to get these to someone that appreciates them and has a specific use for them. Both have SPI but my eye sight so so poor I could not detect a ring. One has a stepped cylinder the other thick walled.

Offer is still good if you need one or the other in the future.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu May 25, 2023 8:49 pm

Very interesting. One pictured has a 'silver' needle valve body without screen, one has a gold anodized needle valve body with screen. I am assuming one is earlier than the other? I honestly thought all had the gold body.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu May 25, 2023 11:26 pm

The last Tee Dees had the silver colour bits instead of gold. I assume (and hope) they were still anodized for surface hardness, just not with colour. Cost saving thing most likely. I have one of the late ones too, received from the original owner, never run and never had it been taken apart either. I found the reason it was never run was a piece of metal in the needle valve body, left from the drilling or threading process (grrr... Estes).

Edit. Looks like Bob’s one with silver parts has the older stepped cylinder. Might be one of those ”oddities” that sometimes come up (think GBs or BW’s with silver tanks), or the parts may have got mixed up at some point. Even the newest Tee Dees are getting close to 30 years old, anything may have happened.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Hye Flyer Fri May 26, 2023 9:07 am

Hello.  I am in need of a .51 for a kit i recently resurrected (I redraw and laser cut obsolete 40s-60’s C/L stuff) for the Mini Zilch I just finished kitting.  I have several .049s (Cox) with the tanks but no TDs that run.  Would be willing to trade a short kit with full size paper plans for engine if that appeals to anyone.  

I have build countless larger C/L aircraft for years and find that working on these smaller .049 - .10 planes are the most rewarding, especially resurrecting the forgotten past planes.  

Best

Hye Flyer (as in high flyer, those who know just know)

All I have are .051s?!? 199dbc10
All I have are .051s?!? 8dfad810
Hye Flyer
Hye Flyer
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

https://www.VintagePlaneKits.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri May 26, 2023 10:44 am

Regarding your kit reproductions, if you put an ad in the sale section, might garner interest in the community.

Recently I obtained a Tee Dee .051 from E-Bay, in need of minor repair (cracked carburetor body and missing the venturi), then bought repair parts from both Ex Model Engines, US, and Cox International, CA. Got it for under $50 US BIN, so once in a while they come up mislabeled or needing repair / clean up and are missed by the buying community.

Here's a possibility. I don't know if it is a .049 Tee Dee with a red carburetor body or actually a .051, but it is mislabeled and start bid seems reasonable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195780829144 Vintage Cox Medallion .049 Engine
Starting bid: US $49.99, no bidders yet, closes in 3 days.
All I have are .051s?!? S-l16028

They are more rare, :
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri May 26, 2023 4:21 pm

I second to George, this engine is worth the price...pre-72, because no screen on the ventury...meaning also, the cylinder is tapered bore...the recessed stem of the needle valve shows it has not been used otherwise the "blueing" would have been scraped off by the needle valve spring tab..the prop drive plate gold anodizing and the mounting holes are untouched...there is no No 2 stamped on the left mounting tab, so this is older stock but is from after 1969 when the stepped wall cylinder was introduced..so the engine is from the 69-72 time window..if I did not have more TeeDees than I will be able to wear out in my lifetime, I would fight for winning this auction.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Hye Flyer Fri May 26, 2023 11:38 pm

Awesome replies…. Will def. check it out. Thank you
Hye Flyer
Hye Flyer
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Hye Flyer Tue May 30, 2023 9:58 am

Well, i placed a bid for starting price and found out this morning i won. Lol. Or maybe i lost . 60.99 was total price. Hope it works well enough to power the mini Z. Thanks for the heads up.

@GallopingGhostler. I will go ahead and post in for sale items and see if there are any interested parties wanting to trade. Thanks.
Hye Flyer
Hye Flyer
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue May 30, 2023 1:30 pm

Hye Flyer wrote:Well, i placed a bid for starting price and found out this morning i won.  Lol. Or maybe i lost .  60.99 was total price.  Hope it works well enough to power the mini Z.  Thanks for the heads up.    

@GallopingGhostler.  I will go ahead and post in for sale items and see if there are any interested parties wanting to trade. Thanks.

You definitely won..if my assumptions on its age and hardly used condition prove right, you have a new, vintage 051. A few years back these went for 60...65 bucks unboxed but new -or even up to 85$ in crystal box that a user, i.e. not a collector will not value high anyway-  PLUS shipping on ebay..been there, seen that, done (bid)  that couple times..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed May 31, 2023 2:30 pm

@Hye Flyer, for that low of cost like András said, I think overall you were the winner in all respects. Repair parts are still available, but perhaps all it needs is a little TLC (tender loving care), a good cleaning and lubing. Enjoy! Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:01 am

Looks like a pretty good engine hasn't been taken apart to many times from the look of tool markings , I hope it does what you want it to. Keep us posted Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down