Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

R/C airboats Cox_ba12

R/C airboats Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 9:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by F4D Phantom II Today at 9:06 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 8:50 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:59 pm

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:19 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 5:19 pm

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

R/C airboats Empty
Live on Patrol

R/C airboats

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

R/C airboats Empty R/C airboats

Post  dinsdale Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:44 am

Is there anyone here who is interested in Cox powered r/c airboats (or any boats for that matter)? I'm in the beginning throes of modifying a kids' balsa model boat to power it as an airboat with a Babe Bee engine. I'm modifying one of these ...
http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Model-Boats/Radio-Controlled-Model-Boat-Kits/Miscellaneous-Radio-Controlled-Model-Boat-Kits/Pacific-Balsa-Dictator-Boat-Kit.ice
... making the centre section out of 3/32" ply and mounting my Babe Bee on a tower at the stern. R/C gear will be where the electric motor and batteries were. I have an r/c carby for my engine. Still tossing up as to whether I make it a pusher or not.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

R/C airboats Empty Re: R/C airboats

Post  Kim Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:56 am

dinsdale wrote:Is there anyone here who is interested in Cox powered r/c airboats (or any boats for that matter)? I'm in the beginning throes of modifying a kids' balsa model boat to power it as an airboat with a Babe Bee engine. I'm modifying one of these ...
http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Model-Boats/Radio-Controlled-Model-Boat-Kits/Miscellaneous-Radio-Controlled-Model-Boat-Kits/Pacific-Balsa-Dictator-Boat-Kit.ice
... making the centre section out of 3/32" ply and mounting my Babe Bee on a tower at the stern. R/C gear will be where the electric motor and batteries were. I have an r/c carby for my engine. Still tossing up as to whether I make it a pusher or not.

hey Dins,

I've totally worn out three Dumas "Lil Swamp Buggies" over the years. I've always loved them because their smaller size allows them to run in creeks, ponds, or front-yard rain water! Got another one hulled up and waiting for it's turn on the bench for finishing.

They're a tame cruiser with an .049, and a hydroplaning monster with a Medallion .09. One major tip...I think it's a great idea to build them with the engine facing forward for cooling...ESPECIALLY if they're to be throttled.

If you'd like, I could try to scan or photograph a plan sheet for you, so you could scratch out one for yourself...they're pretty simple rascals.

That's all the boat experience I've got...I'm sure there will be others checking in though.

Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:46 am

Kim wrote:
I've totally worn out three Dumas "Lil Swamp Buggies" over the years. I've always loved them because their smaller size allows them to run in creeks, ponds, or front-yard rain water! Got another one hulled up and waiting for it's turn on the bench for finishing.
I'm waiting for a Dumas Big Swamp Buggy kit to arrive from Tower Hobbies. There are no Dumas importers in Oz. Sad I have a Leo .46 to put on it. The Dictator kit which I'm modifying will be for my grandson. I'm only doing it because I have an old Babe Bee which has been hanging around for years, and airboats are easy to build and docile to operate.

In the past I had an Aeroflyte Platypus (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rmac_adrian/4763868898/) (alas Aeroflyte have long since folded) with an OS10 and my own scratch built boat with the Leo on board. I've also had a few high performance nitro powered boats.

Kim wrote:
They're a tame cruiser with an .049, and a hydroplaning monster with a Medallion .09. One major tip...I think it's a great idea to build them with the engine facing forward for cooling...ESPECIALLY if they're to be throttled.
Yea, I've always used tractor configuration coz pusher props are hard to find. Cox have a good range of pushers however. I'll most likely use the Cox as a tractor.

Kim wrote:
If you'd like, I could try to scan or photograph a plan sheet for you, so you could scratch out one for yourself...they're pretty simple rascals.
That'd be outstanding! They look a bit like the ol' Platypus. If there is any way you could do it as a .pdf that'd be great - full-size would be ultimate Very Happy I can see myself getting into Cox.
Cheers
Dins

dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:27 am

I'll give my best shot here shortly. If need be, I could shoot a tubed or folded hardcopy your way. Not sure what the postage would be, but willing to check!

Later! Airboat Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 am

Another airboat fan here too!

I have the Dumas "Lil' Swamp Buggy" done in natural mahogany with clear finishing resin. It's powered by a throttled "Sure-Start" with a "B" head conversion running two channel 2.4 gig RC. I run a "pusher" prop unlike others here. (the source if you wish)

On a lake or on a lawn it "scoots" much too the entertainment of both myself and our grandchildren. I am known to respectfully "herd" pesky Canada geese from waterfront lawns after the new goslings are capable of flight in the spring.

Be glad to provide any "pointers" that you might wish.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:15 am

R/C airboats Swampbuggy

My little swamper that I built 20+ years ago. It's been thru many re-incarnations as well as refinishes, it's safe to say it has "gained a few ounces" from the refinishes. The first build I had a babe bee 049 and 3 blade pusher prop mounted. In a effort for more run time, I drilled a hole in the side of the original babe bee tank and ran a external 2 oz wedge tank. The next engine setup was a GMark .061 RC from my crushed ranger 42. The 4th engine setup as you see now, is a 2200KV brushless.

The best setup for maxmuim run time was the babe bee and external tank.

The worst setup, the Gmark and extra standard servo,,waay to much weight and it wouldn't get on plane at all. it would just wallow in the water tail heavy.

The fastest setup is the now brushless 2200 KV. I was able to get some weight adjusted right and moved around and it popps right up on plane and gains speed incredibly fast,,to fast almost.

My advice is to keep it as light as possible when building and finishing. Newly finished, with a 049 and 5cc tank, with a just a couple coats of sealer and paint,,it would jump right up on plane. My advice is to keep it as light as possible when building and finishing.

The downfall to a rc boat is,, you have to have a full size boat, to retrieve your boat. if you want to run out into the lake or any distance from shore.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:46 am

PV:

I always take my fly fising float tube and fins when I run my "Little SB" on water because it has been known to flip upon ocassion. I full-sized boat would be a PITA.

I use two Futaba S3114 micro-servos (rudder and throttle) and the boat planes nicely.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:03 am

I had a tennis ball tied to a fishing reel, to chuck it out there over the boat and pull it back in,,but I can only toss it out there so far,,lol
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:59 pm

Hey Dins, I thought these might be of interest to you.....

R/C airboats Air_tr10
R/C airboats Air_tr11
R/C airboats Air_tr12
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:34 am

SuperDave wrote:Another airboat fan here too!

I have the Dumas "Lil' Swamp Buggy" done in natural mahogany with clear finishing resin. It's powered by a throttled "Sure-Start" with a "B" head conversion running two channel 2.4 gig RC. I run a "pusher" prop unlike others here. (the source if you wish)

On a lake or on a lawn it "scoots" much too the entertainment of both myself and our grandchildren. I am known to respectfully "herd" pesky Canada geese from waterfront lawns after the new goslings are capable of flight in the spring.

Be glad to provide any "pointers" that you might wish.
G'day. As you would've seen above I've been offered Lil Swamp Buggy plans and would be keen to build one in the not-too-distant future. Noone imports Dumas stuff into Oz, much to my chagrin. Around 20+ years ago I made a Platypus airboat, by Aeroflyte, for my young son. Alas, Aeroflyte went bust years ago and I can't locate any Platypus plans anywhere. It was great little boat and would plane easily with its OS10 - guessing about 30kph.

I bought the Babe Bee then, for that boat, but ended not using the Cox. So my Cox is >20 years old and only been run in on the bench. Had it running yesterday in fact, but can only get hold of 10%nitro fule until I get to the big smoke. I've removed the tank and fitted the induction tube backplate (from the Sure-Start range I expect) and an r/c carby. I have 7 different props to play with, including 2 and 3 blade pushers, and 2 and 3 blade tractor props.

Oz is a dry continent (2nd driest, after Antarctica), so scooting around on wet lawns would be impractical for most here, including me. Mine will be strictly lake/dam boats. I live in a rural area, so there are copious farm dams to use.

Many thanx
Dins
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:39 am

Kim wrote:I'll give my best shot here shortly. If need be, I could shoot a tubed or folded hardcopy your way. Not sure what the postage would be, but willing to check!

Later! Airboat Kim
More than happy to pay whatever postage is required Very Happy
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:43 am

Ivanhoe wrote:
Hey Dins, I thought these might be of interest to you.....
That looks really neato, doesn't it. Certainly a '50s design. Many thanx for that. I've saved the jpg's already. I can see me with more projects lining up than I'll have years left to complete.
Cheers
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:14 am

dinsdale wrote:
Kim wrote:I'll give my best shot here shortly. If need be, I could shoot a tubed or folded hardcopy your way. Not sure what the postage would be, but willing to check!

Later! Airboat Kim
More than happy to pay whatever postage is required Very Happy

Hey Dins,

I found the "plan" for the Lil Swamp Buggy. The boat comes with a large instruction sheet, without full-sized templates, but I had intended to build several, and so had traced the outline of the parts on the backside. They should let you cut out your components. I'll make a copy of both sides and post them to you. Don't think it should be too expensive, but I'll check with you before I send them.

Later! Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:29 am

Kim wrote:
I found the "plan" for the Lil Swamp Buggy. The boat comes with a large instruction sheet, without full-sized templates, but I had intended to build several, and so had traced the outline of the parts on the backside. They should let you cut out your components. I'll make a copy of both sides and post them to you. Don't think it should be too expensive, but I'll check with you before I send them.
Will pm you with an address.
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

R/C airboats Empty Cox .049 Airboat Videos

Post  Tee Bee Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:44 am

My Dad and I built a couple of Lil' Swamp Buggy kits a couple of years ago. Used old AM car radios, Surestarts, and Sullivan 1oz tanks. They were built pretty close to the original plan. My yellow one was finished with epoxy finishing resin, then painted with Lustrekote fuel proof paint. Dad's has a clear resin finish. The videos show both of them in action together on a friend's pond last March. My son and father did the driving while I performed pit duties and operated the camera. Fun stuff. Seems noone installs Cox engines in these boats any more. Most of those found on youtube are electric so I did my part to try to change that. Laughing The video links are down below the pics.
R/C airboats Lil_sw10
R/C airboats Lil_sw11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hGxmc_yJTI&feature=plcp&context=C332a05dUDOEgsToPDskIo-JFY4_Wic4dsUnynJdD1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-lxYyCqy_E&feature=plcp&context=C3442893UDOEgsToPDskIAqSBHRn7fd__KOX0Lp1s2

Last edited by Tee Bee on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:48 am

[quote="Tee Bee"]My Dad and I built a couple of Lil' Swamp Buggy kits a couple of years ago. Used old AM car radios, Surestarts, and Sullivan 1oz tanks. They were built pretty close to the original plan. My yellow one was finished with epoxy finishing resin, then painted with Lustrekote fuel proof paint. Dad's has a clear resin finish. The videos show both of them in action together on a friend's pond last March. My son and father did the driving while I performed pit duties and operated the camera. Fun stuff. Seems noone installs Cox engines in these boats any more. Most of those found on youtube are electric so I did my part to try to change that. Laughing
R/C airboats Lil_sw10
R/C airboats Lil_sw11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hGxmc_yJTI&feature=plcp&context=C332a05dUDOEgsToPDskIo-JFY4_Wic4dsUnynJdD1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-lxYyCqy_E&feature=plcp&context=C3442893UDOEgsToPDskIAqSBHRn7fd__KOX0Lp1s2[/quote
I thought a .010 fan like yourself would try a .010 powered one Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:58 am

I had a lot more spare Surestarts lying around than .010s. Longer runtime and more abundant part supply. I tend to treat my .010s with TLC and limit their use somewhat so I can enjoy them for years to come. With that said, a .010 powered airboat would be VERY neat!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:13 am

Tee Bee wrote:I had a lot more spare Surestarts lying around than .010s. Longer runtime and more abundant part supply. I tend to treat my .010s with TLC and limit their use somewhat so I can enjoy them for years to come. With that said, a .010 powered airboat would be VERY neat!

Yeah I just checked and I don't have a spare .010 but I do have a 2ch radio, coreflute and a pee wee .020 lying around not doing much Huh...
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:33 am

The SB on the left very closely resembles mine. My throttled SureStart .049 moves it very nicely but a TD .01o would need to go on a much smaller airboat IMO. R/C airboats 3213304551

Remember an airboat needs to be capable of operating in waves so often found in ponds/lakes.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:43 am

SuperDave wrote:The SB on the left very closely resembles mine. My throttled SureStart .049 moves it very nicely but a TD .01o would need to go on a much smaller airboat IMO. R/C airboats 3213304551

Remember an airboat needs to be capable of operating in waves so often found in ponds/lakes.
Exactly it would be a scaled down one, one the same as .049 just wouldn't have the miniature factor that .010 things have.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:58 am

Anyone who has ever sailed a "footie" knows the effect of waves on small watercraft.

(A "footie" is 12" LOA)
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:38 am

Nice airboats there Tee Bee. Crazy with the hatch screws. I think I have 12 total. You guys keep commenting on this thread and I will have to build another one,,but maybe the Big Swamper by Dumas,,with 3 Tee Dees' all cranked up. Very Happy
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:53 am

What is the real difference between the Surestarts, Babe Bees, product engines etc? It strikes me that most of the parts are interchangeable except for the cast crankcase series.
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:06 am

Dins:

Principally the backplate of the CC. Smile
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:21 am

SuperDave wrote:Dins:
Principally the backplate of the CC. Smile
But the back plates are interchangeable, aren't they - at least on all the extruded crankcases?
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next