Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049 Cox_ba12

Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:31 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 1:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:17 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:06 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by crankbndr Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 4:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049 Empty
Live on Patrol

Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049 Empty Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049

Post  Joshm813 Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Hey my names josh i took a radio shack remote controlled Gamma Ray boat and put the .049 Bay Bee. It has originally a 7.2 volt battery with an electric motor whatever came on it and a steering rudder under the hull. Works pretty good haha let me know what you think about it.
https://youtu.be/OA7-X-WjfYM

Also i just ordered the 4.5x4 Yellow performance blade along with the Sub Induction Cylinder and Piston. Should add a few more 1,000rpms. Would be awesome if you could rate my video aslo.
Joshm813
Joshm813
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049 Empty Re: Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049

Post  jetpack Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Nice!

My first attempt at airboats I made one out of memory of one I had seen early on then built one out of aircraft ply sheets from the hobby shop. I had made it too narrow and it always wanted to roll as it picked up speed and would hit the prop and spin out. A rudder helped but it still wanted to roll.

I have a Dumas Lil Swamp Buggy kit now.

Thanks for the cool vid Popcorn

I'm curious to see more speed out of that hull it looks quick right now even

Last edited by jetpack on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049 Empty Re: Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049

Post  Joshm813 Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Ya this one docent want to top over. It cruises but I have a feeling the electric prop may be creating drag underwater. Not too sure what I should do about that. Besides that the thing screams. And I was only using 10% nitro. What do u suggest?
Joshm813
Joshm813
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:14 pm

I think if you are not worried about bringing the boat back to stock, I would trim off the stuffing box fin and prop. You can lay in glass cloth and epoxy resin to patch the hole with I think. That would really speed up the hull.

How hard is it just to take off the prop? it might help keeping that fin with turning. try just the prop and see.

You can run anything from no nitro to what ever you like to run, afford or obtain and kinda tune from there. Prop choice is always something to consider with what power your putting out.

Find a few different props if you can. You can also add or subtract head gaskets also with each prop to help tune.
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshm813 Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Well I could take off the prop easily it has a c clamp on it I could just pop off. But once the motor dies I have no way to drive it back to me ya know lol. But there's like a little housing that holds the shaft then the prop sticks out. It sticks down llike an inch and a half. So if I removed the prop their would still be this big housing. So I guess I could cut it off sand it and put a sheet of fiberglass over the hole like you said.
Joshm813
Joshm813
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:54 pm

I had time to check out the stock radio shack boat.

If you take all the extra weight out of it and mount the engine in the jet nozzle location in back, or enough to clear the prop from the water at rest would be an improvement in speed and handling plus adding your new parts. I'm sure it would jump pretty good then.

Where did your motor come from? Are you using a pusher prop or running the engine backwards?

Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049 Pm347110
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshm813 Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 pm

Im not sure take a look. i just ordered the yellow prop off the cox international website. Im using the .049 baybee. exuse the [bleep] paint job i did it in a hurry. have to redo it.
Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049 Dadaad11Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049 Gggg11

Where did you get that picture did you find one for sale somewhere?
Joshm813
Joshm813
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:28 pm

That is a neat boat! If you want to speed it up, do what jetpack said or if you want to be able to bring it back to your boat or shore when it runs out of fuel, leave the electric prop on it. Yes you have a pusher prop on it. The yellow prop is not a pusher prop, you'll have to start the engine backwards.

jetpack wrote:I have a Dumas Lil Swamp Buggy kit now.

I had a Dumas Lil Swamp Buggy, it was a lot of fun to mess around with on the snow. My friend had something similar to it only his was electric. A few years ago we went up to a model race track, it is a model car/truck track in the summer and a "sled" track in the winter. When I was going around the track, I took the corner too fast and it flew over the edge. Now you wouldn't think there was that much damage but it was split down the center and had holes in the fiberglass. I could fix it but never got around to it. I do have another un-built kit which I may build someday.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshm813 Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:07 am

Thanks ya do you think the prop under the belly is going to create drag is my concern. And im also looking into getting the (spi) kit. May add a little more juice too it. A buddy also mentioned using 35 to 40% nitro.
Joshm813
Joshm813
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:28 am

Joshm813 wrote:Thanks ya do you think the prop under the belly is going to create drag is my concern. And im also looking into getting the (spi) kit. May add a little more juice too it. A buddy also mentioned using 35 to 40% nitro.

Well, If you want, you can try the SPI cylinder/piston. If you are looking for some more power, try a Black Widow. You can use 35% nitro if you want but more nitro equals more heat and since the prop will be pushing air away from the cylinder and not towards it, the engine could overheat. I would suggest 20%-25% nitro but it should run fine on lower nitro content. I'm sure you already know this but I still have to say it, make sure you are using fuel with 20% all castor. Many here would say it is fine to use a castor/synthetic mix but there will be some more heat because it is being used as a pusher engine and castor oil continues to lube all the parts of the engine in extreme heat. If you do order that SPI assembly, you should also order a brass pusher driveplate.

Just some tips,

I'm typing this at 1:20 AM and I am quite tired so if something doesn't make sense, I'll catch it in the morning.

Jacob
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:25 am

That is a very cool boat I would love to own one with an airboat with a .010 on it that would be a blast I can see it now racing around a pond.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  hlsat Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:32 am

Joshm813 wrote:Hey my names josh i took a radio shack remote controlled Gamma Ray boat and put the .049 Bay Bee. It has originally a 7.2 volt battery with an electric motor whatever came on it and a steering rudder under the hull. Works pretty good haha let me know what you think about it.
https://youtu.be/OA7-X-WjfYM

Also i just ordered the 4.5x4 Yellow performance blade along with the Sub Induction Cylinder and Piston. Should add a few more 1,000rpms. Would be awesome if you could rate my video aslo.

This is not normal,original airboat.
This is a patent normal boat with cox 0.49 pusher.
hlsat
hlsat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshm813 Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:41 am

So what if its not original that what makes it bad ass. Took another video yesterday. Actually my girl took it and she sucks lol but check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmMAW2zGK1k&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Joshm813
Joshm813
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshm813 Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:22 am

Also what do u think if the Tee-Dee performance upgrade instead of the (sti). It like 5 bucks more so wasnt sure if it was better or not?
Joshm813
Joshm813
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Check out my custom Airboat. Cox .049 Empty Did someone mention airboats?

Post  Tee Bee Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Here's a couple of vids of the Dumas Lil' Swamp Buggies my dad and I built last year. My son is driving my yellow one and my Dad the clear-finished boat. They are powered by stock Surestarts with 3-blade pusher props. Sullivan 1 oz tanks. The 2-channel radios were sourced from some old rc cars. I sealed mine with epoxy finishing resin topped with Top Flite Lustrekote fuel-proof paint.

Turn up the volume for some good old Cox music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-lxYyCqy_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hGxmc_yJTI
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshm813 Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Not bad who makes sure start? And I've made boats similar to that from basal wood just never connected any type of steering mechanism. I use to just get a big stick in the middle of a tiny pond with a big washer and would haul ass. Weighs mabey a pound. Also where did you find that paint? Online im assuming. I also have another project I haven't revealed yet
Joshm813
Joshm813
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Joshm813 wrote:who makes sure start?

Cox did. It was the last model before they ceased production - http://reviews.ebay.com/Cox-Surestart-Hop-up_W0QQugidZ10000000005390559

You can also get old yellowish bacplate product engines for around $5 on Ebay.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 am

Lustrekote model paint is available thru Tower Hobbies. I was recently told that it's out of production and limited to current supplies. I also ordered the Lil' Swamp Buggy kits from Tower. Still have one in the box to build with a grandkid someday. Converting a plastic toy boat to Cox power is probably a faster and cheaper way to an end. I just enjoy doing some things the old school way. It makes the world go round.

The Surestart is the basic reed-valve .049 product engine installed on most Cox toys during their last 20 years. I bought about a dozen of them for $7 each from the Cox website during their closeout. They are now available from Cox International and Selecthobbies.com for a slightly higher price.

I have built and flown a number of Cox powered RC planes and just wanted to try something different that my dad would also enjoy(He's new to RC.)

Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshm813 Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:30 am

Sweet. Well im going to have to find this paint somewhere. I was just thinking I have this nitro powered RC car. I think its the nitro evader bx. Wonder if I made a flat bracket instead of an L one. And replace the sprocket with a prop. Hmm.. but those little Dumas buggy's are sweet.
Joshm813
Joshm813
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshm813 Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Im trying to find an aftermarket prop for the prop underwater. Right now it has a two blade prop and measures 1 1/2" across. Someone please help!
Joshm813
Joshm813
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:09 pm

Joshm813 wrote:Im trying to find an aftermarket prop for the prop underwater. Right now it has a two blade prop and measures 1 1/2" across. Someone please help!

Check with Dumas Products in Tucson, AZ.

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshm813 Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks exactly what I needed now I need to find the size
Joshm813
Joshm813
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ekitten2 Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:43 pm

hmmmm watchin those videos brought back memerys

years ago i had a lil swamp boat it was a aeroflyte kit i think called a platapuss i had a cox .9 from memery it was gr8 ..thanks for the memery boost...gazza
ekitten2
ekitten2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 pm

My airboat is a Dumas "Lil' Swamp Buggy"(LOA 18") powered by a throttled Cox Surestart .049 running two channel RC
Being mahogany the boat looks very sharp in clear Pacer E-poxy finishing resin and is great for driving away those pesky "pooping" Canada geese my son's lake place. (picture the image)

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Find out what kind of prop shaft we are dealing with. It might be metric. If its a screw-on type prop you might want to look at Graupner props. I think offshore electrics has them. Lets see...

Graupner Carbon Filled Props

I would stay away from using a metal prop, yours is just used for retrieval it is not a race boat setup where balancing and sharpening a metal propeller wouldn't be necessary.
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next