Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Cox_ba12

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!!

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Empty Re: And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!!

Post  WingingIt74 Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:29 am

Kim wrote:WOW !!! Can't believe I survived all those years with just my Kodak Click-o-Matic !!!

One like this? Smile
And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 F734f404

Last edited by WingingIt74 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Empty Re: And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!!

Post  Kim Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:30 am

microflitedude wrote:The first time I saw the new title of the thread, I though you were killing robots. lol!

Bad Robot !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:32 am

[quote="WingingIt74"]
Kim wrote:WOW !!! Can't believe I survived all those years with just my Kodak Click-o-Matic !!!

One like this? Smile

Hardly! Mine is a flat little 110 with a receptacle on top where you jam a "Flash Cube" !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:35 am

andrew wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:Hey Kim, this is what I mean. Perhaps the crop circle aliens have been at work!!!

Wilf --

What you may be seeing are drains. In sections of fields that are prone to water erosion, we plant a fast growing grass and then do not plow or disk that portion of the field. Any top soil that washes from the field during natural drainage will be trapped along the edge of the grass and, over time, will help build up and flatten that area. Without the grass, water will eventually cut a ditch into the field and make movement of equipment difficult or impossible.

Of course, some farms have more drainage issues than others.....

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 A_11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:41 am

[quote="Kim"]
andrew wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:Hey Kim, this is what I mean. Perhaps the crop circle aliens have been at work!!!

Wilf --

What you may be seeing are drains. In sections of fields that are prone to water erosion, we plant a fast growing grass and then do not plow or disk that portion of the field. Any top soil that washes from the field during natural drainage will be trapped along the edge of the grass and, over time, will help build up and flatten that area. Without the grass, water will eventually cut a ditch into the field and make movement of equipment difficult or impossible.

Oh, OK, but that is far too mundane an explanation, DAMMIT! I much prefer the Aliens and/or wandering Ancient Briton theories!

lol!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:41 am

Kim wrote:Hardly! Mine is a flat little 110 with a receptacle on top where you jam a "Flash Cube" !!!!

110s were good little cameras.
And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Kodak_pocket_instamatic
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:55 am

That's it !!!! My faithful little buddy that survived all manner of motorcycle trips in rain and cold back in the 70's ! Still got it! Now, reckon I'll have to load some film in it ! Just wish I could have afforded more film "back then".

You're costing me money Travis !

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Sports13

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Sports14

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 1_108
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:29 am

More Stuff !!!!!

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Kim, I reckon you must get in more flying hours than the rest of us on this forum put together!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:31 am

Ivanhoe wrote:Kim, I reckon you must get in more flying hours than the rest of us on this forum put together!

I don't know about that, Wilf...it may be that I just blab more about it !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Empty And EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture

Post  MMT Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 am

Thanks Cribbs74 for the question about acronyms. You good people lose me all the time. I just started a notebook on these acros. today. About the only acronym I know and live by is K.I.S.S. I got away from computers and the internet in '03 (had my reasons) and just got back into this about a year ago (again, had my reasons). The first post in about 9 yrs. (a life time in computer terms) for me was on this Cox Forum. Any explanation of your acronyms will be welcomed by me. If you think I know it, trust me, I don't.
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:37 am

Yeah...sorry about the acronym deal...just some attempted humor on my part. Most of the acronyms I use are of that nature, and my buds and I often just make them up (or modify existing ones) to aggravate each other !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Empty B.O.T. Storm Chaser Video Frames

Post  Kim Mon May 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Thinking I had a contender for my "B.O.T. Takes Video of Lightning" project, I launched my battered 2-Meter Sailplane with it's new HD "Flip" camera locked and loaded for some dramatic footage. I had a good couple of cells coming down from the north, with plenty of cloud-to-cloud and ground-pounder bolts busting loose a few miles away.

Once again, however, the Lightning Gods appeared intimidated by the raging .051 atop the B.O.T., and hid themselves every time the little spyplane turned it's camera their way.

I DID manage to keep the B.O.T. aloft just long enough for the storm's gust front to arrive at the same time as the glider slid onto short-final for my front yard runway. Slamming down through the grass at about three times it's normal landing speed, it's left stabilator sheared off close to it's root rib. So, it's time to break out the magic glue !

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 1_117

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 2_110

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 2_74
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon May 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Tough break (no pun intended here) --- the fronts that have been coming thru west Kentucky the last three years have carried some vicious winds, moreso than I can remember for years.

Your videos always have interesting themes, from alien ground paintings to the bolts of Thor. Hope the BOT goes back together without too much work and gets back into the air for filming.
andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Cool!

Sure would have loved to have seen some footage!

You oughta hire on at NOAA!

It would be fun to be paid to fly, plus you get a government account!

Maybe next time.

Go BOT!

You should try flying the old BOT into a twister! That would really test your piloting skills.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue May 08, 2012 6:55 am

Yeah, I'll have that stab spliced back to the root rib pretty quickly. While I've got the Monokote Iron cranked up, I may also rework it's wing for the third or forth time, using the opportunity to take a good peek at the splices on it's always-overstressed spars. The old bird has had a pretty full life since 1999 when I found it at a swap meet, laying in a corner with a broken wing and covered with dust.

One thing for sure, it's come a long way from having a Walmart single-use film camera strap-taped across it's snout! "One Flight-One Photo" technology can burn a lot of fuel to make an album !

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 B_o_t_15

Kodak Film Camera...Summer 2000. The hills in the background are now covered by a subdivision! AND yes, Wilf's "Crop Patterns" existed even back then !!!

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 B_o_t_16

I figure that any flight near a twister would probably test my Parts Recovery Skills more than my Piloting Skills...but who knows?!! Maybe a "Discovery" or "Weather Channel" film crew could get footage of me and Patrick arguing some model airplane tech-babble before a raging, black funnel...and start yet another Reality Series : "Storm Nerds!"
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Empty And EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture

Post  MMT Tue May 08, 2012 7:50 am

Hate to see the damage to the B.O.T. Hope repairs are easy. I find storm chasing with spy B.O.T. very interesting. Friend and I were talking about this idea a few weeks ago. Hope you have B.O.T. flying soon. Love your vids.
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Tue May 08, 2012 8:50 am

Looking good Kim
Was there much difference between the Widow and Medallion?
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue May 08, 2012 9:23 am

MMT wrote:Thanks Cribbs74 for the question about acronyms. You good people lose me all the time. I just started a notebook on these acros. today. About the only acronym I know and live by is K.I.S.S. I got away from computers and the internet in '03 (had my reasons) and just got back into this about a year ago (again, had my reasons). The first post in about 9 yrs. (a life time in computer terms) for me was on this Cox Forum. Any explanation of your acronyms will be welcomed by me. If you think I know it, trust me, I don't.

MMT:

As to acornyms and abbreviations, I use this site:

Acronyms and Abbreviations

Although not specifically model aviation related, I find it very helpful in an ever-changing world.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue May 08, 2012 9:43 am

MMT wrote:Hate to see the damage to the B.O.T. Hope repairs are easy. I find storm chasing with spy B.O.T. very interesting. Friend and I were talking about this idea a few weeks ago. Hope you have B.O.T. flying soon. Love your vids.

Thanks MMT !!
I think some careful splinting ought to have it back on line shortly. It's actually seen a lot worse....like wrapping it's left wing around the light pole in the corner of my yard! Just some of the hazards of landing a spoilerless sailplane in a tight space!

I'm just thankful that I decided to let the 3-Meter B.O.T. sit it out on this run! It's glide is a LOT flatter than the 2-Meter, and any hint of a tailwind on landing turns it into a locomotive on greased rails during it's slide-out.

It's a minor miracle that the 2-Meter B.O.T. is still with me anyway, since it's done more than it's fair share of cloud-punching and riding high above low scud:

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Genera10

Putting it at risk has netted me some photo/video frames like this one, showing the storm-destroyed hangar at my home airport near Cairo, Illinois:

And yet EVEN MORE B.O.T. Torture !!! - Page 3 Genera11

The whole trick with videoing storms has been, for me, catching one of those isolated cells that's raising Cain close by, but with almost nil winds outside of it's immediate area...AND having the B.O.T. up and ready to go after it. I've gotten fairly good at telling when a gust front is on it's way, but getting a sailplane down from serious altitude can take a while...providing that you want to keep the wings on the thing. So, it gets exciting!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 am

John Goddard wrote:Looking good Kim
Was there much difference between the Widow and Medallion?
Very Happy

The engine on the 2-Meter B.O.T.'s most-used pylon is a hard-run Tee Dee .051, so it DOES have a lot more stuff than my also-hard-run Widow. The B.W. still has no problem hauling the glider with smaller cameras, though I haven't tried it with the much heavier "Flip" cams.

The other advantage of the .051 is, naturally, the longer runs I can get from it's film canister fuel tank (1 ounce). With no cargo on board, that little sucker can take the B.O.T. up SCARY high on a full tank, so I seldom top it off unless it's packing a cam. I never use "clunk" tanks on the B.O.T., and the bottom pick-up lets me kill the engine by just flattening it at the top of a loop. Even with max rudder/elevator and as much aft-C.G. as I dare, I have never been able to induce the B.O.T. to spin, but have found that simply flipping it on it's back and holding it inverted will give a great descent without a ton of speed building up.

Last edited by Kim on Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Tue May 08, 2012 11:25 am

Aaaaaah I saw red in the vid and assumed medallion..
How long run time do you get with a full oz?
I'm still chasing better pwr 2 weight figures and think
Losing another 4 percent mass by coming down from
2 to 1 oz poss worthwhile.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 pm

John Goddard wrote:Aaaaaah I saw red in the vid and assumed medallion..
How long run time do you get with a full oz?
I'm still chasing better pwr 2 weight figures and think
Losing another 4 percent mass by coming down from
2 to 1 oz poss worthwhile.
Very Happy

Hey John,
I'm getting a solid 4 minutes and change from the 1 ounce film canister, running the Tee Dee on 25% Sig and a black 6-3 prop. I should point out though, that I do try to run it a bit rich, with a good four-stroke break before launch to help keep the engine cool...since I've usually got a surplus of power anyway.

This engine is another of my relics that must have about a million miles on it. I replaced it's split plastic case with an aluminum unit that's worked great ever since I put it on.

Last edited by Kim on Tue May 08, 2012 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue May 08, 2012 9:36 pm

Does it break all the way into 2 stroke during the climb? I would guess it doesn't unload like a regular plane that gets to level off and dive.

Your camera work and FF planes inspire me. I'd like to live in the great wide open spaces.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue May 08, 2012 10:16 pm

RknRusty wrote:Does it break all the way into 2 stroke during the climb? I would guess it doesn't unload like a regular plane that gets to level off and dive.

Your camera work and FF planes inspire me. I'd like to live in the great wide open spaces.

If I hit it just right, after launch, it does lean out to a mostly 2-stroke run, with just "blips" of four-stroke as it climbs. When I launch from my front yard, I try to get some immediate height in case the engine does get froggy...the set-up landing may have to happen fast.

Sometimes when I can launch from a more open space, I like to drop the nose on the B.O.T., and let the .051 really wind it up down low. It's amazed a lot of folks (including R/C types) that the "tiny engine" on it's pylon can make a six-foot span airplane go so fast !

I've always wanted to take photos/video with my planes, and am living it up now with these inexpensive little cameras !

I do like Missouri, and this area specifically, so it'll probably be my home 'till I croak !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum