Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 Cox_ba12

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A little nostalgia…
by KariFS Today at 6:46 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Today at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:09 am

» Tired of it all…
by roddie Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 10:27 pm

» Science and Mechanics magazine's "Playboy" 14' plywood runabout plans.. circa 1950's
by roddie Yesterday at 9:30 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by roddie Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Post your Older books
by crankbndr Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» Cox wrench
by layback209 Yesterday at 3:03 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by getback Yesterday at 10:04 am

» How does your Garden Grow
by getback Yesterday at 6:26 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 Empty
Live on Patrol

More Fun with Foxes !

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 Empty Re: More Fun with Foxes !

Post  Ivanhoe Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 am

shawn cook wrote: I own a Fox.07 which I believe was known as the Comet. The engine was one that my father had stashed away for 40+ years. I set it up on a plane and ran it. I was quite impressed by it's performance. A terrific needling engine but it had a tendency to just shut off. I figured it was the plug and never explored it any further. I happened to notice one day that the ball socket had a large amount of play. The Fox used the same method as Cox for conrod to piston joint. I tried to use the Cox tool and the piston shattered in 5 pieces. I was pretty upset by this. Plugs can be somewhat difficult to find for the .049- .07 engines. Ken

There is a guy in the US who has large amounts of old Fox parts, he supplied me with all the bits to rebuild my .049 FAI Special, he has heads for all the small Foxes.
I have, unfortunately, lost his email address, when I find it I will post it here. Someone here may know him, I believe his name is Geoff.

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 Empty Re: More Fun with Foxes... .29 Stunt & .35 Combat !

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:23 am

Wilf, I believe the fellow is Doug Martin. I do not have contact info but probably could find someone who knows. Virginia Hobbysports, had a great control line hobby shop a few years back. Henry Werner and his brother owned it and I believe he was selling entire.049 engines from Doug. Henry unfortunately retired. I saw him a few years ago at the Brodak Fly In. He had a beautiful scale twin running large four strokes. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:47 pm

shawn cook wrote: Wilf, I believe the fellow is Doug Martin. I do not have contact info but probably could find someone who knows. Virginia Hobbysports, had a great control line hobby shop a few years back. Henry Werner and his brother owned it and I believe he was selling entire.049 engines from Doug. Henry unfortunately retired. I saw him a few years ago at the Brodak Fly In. He had a beautiful scale twin running large four strokes. Ken

That sounds like him, don't know why I had the idea it was Geoff! I seem to remember that his email was something like "Dougsengines" but can't remember the rest.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:38 pm

dougsengines@hotmail.com

Google
Doug Martin Colorado dougs engines Fox

Roberts yer muvvas bruvva
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:13 pm

John Goddard wrote:dougsengines@hotmail.com

Google
Doug Martin Colorado dougs engines Fox

Roberts yer muvvas bruvva
Very Happy

Yeah, thanks, I was about to post the same, having just found it!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 Empty My "Junkyard Fox .35 Stunt" !!!!

Post  Kim Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Got my Ebay Fox .35 this afternoon, and decided to try to get it to run. I'd planned on it being a little rough, and it didn't disappoint !!!!

When I went to replace the Enya N.V. assy with a Fox unit, I found the holes to be a bit 'wallowed'! No prob!...some silicone gaskets and a washer sealed it up pretty good.

The head was also loose on the cylinder, so I peeked inside (good ole crusted piston top!) then torqued it down. The back plate screws were finger-tight, with slots that were not gonna allow much more, so they got switched out for some nice new cap screws!

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 1_146

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 2_97

I then discovered that the thrust washer was apparently not totally right. It was very thin, and when the prop was tightened, it moved past the dogs on the shaft and into the space beyond. Again, NO PROB! An appropriate-sized washer took up the slack, and off we went !

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 3_82

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 4_53

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 5_41

I got it up to "Running Speed" with a back-and-forth 4-2 break, and it turned about what the other Foxes turned. So, reckon I got a runner...not too bad maybe !!!! It sure won't be wearing a muffler with that 'custom ground' exhaust!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 Empty My "Junkyard Fox .35 Stunt" !!!!

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Hello Kim, you probably better off with the Fox needle. Did I just say that?. Actually I say that due to the size and not the quality. The Fox will give you more choke area due to the spraybar being turned down within the venturi area. The other thing is the fact that the exhaust area has been filed off and round. This was done for speed models. I would honestly say you have a Fox that was used in a rat racer or wood speed pan so to speak. This allowed the top body to slip over and cowl in the entire cylinder. It may just hot start for you pretty well. I also noticed at least from the pic that there isn't much of a gap under the cylinder head. This is typical mod done when the top of the cylinder liner has been lapped down to get more compression. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Hot Dog!!!! Got me an old Thoroughbred in the Stable !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

More Fun with Foxes ! - Page 5 Empty Re: More Fun with Foxes... .29 Stunt & .35 Combat !

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Ha ha ha that's a great description. I have one that was given to me by a combat flyer a few years ago. It looked horrible. I put it on the bench with a 9x6 Master Airscrew. When I woke that puppy up heads were turning to see what it was. It tached at 14 K. The venturi has been opened way up as well. It would certainly make a great Foxberg racer but the mods including the filed exhaust like yours doesn't make it a stock engine anymore. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:45 am

shawn cook wrote: It would certainly make a great Foxberg racer but the mods including the filed exhaust like yours doesn't make it a stock engine anymore. Ken

Alright! An "Outlaw Thoroughbred" !!! Even Better !

On the gap between the head and cylinder...when I took off the head, it appeared to have no gasket...I thought they normally used a metal ring-type...but don't have a lot of experience with them, and so went with what I had.

I'm gonna have to move over to the building board and spend some time creating airframes for these things! I've got a full/free evening scheduled, so may take a turn at my Uncle's Goldberg "Buster".
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:59 am

John Goddard wrote:dougsengines@hotmail.com

Very Happy

I've now been in touch with Doug, he has spares for many old Foxes, from the .07 to the .74, including .049 etc. glowheads.
The one thing he DOESN'T have is a backplate for my Hustler! DAMMIT!

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:36 am

Kim, there should be a head gasket in there. Usually the head gasket fits so tightly in the recess of the head, you don't even know its there. You have to get out your Xacto and scratch in that recess and see if it peels out. The soft aluminum squashes down and becomes quite tight in there. The gasket is aluminum as well so it looks as though it's a part of the cylinder head. You get one .010" gasket per rebuild kit from Fox. You can purchase them individually though directly from Fox. Is it spitting lots of fuel out of the front bearing when running? It doesn't appear so in the pic which is a good sign. I'm also wondering why the engine displacement has been ground off of the case and smoothed out. Is it indeed a .35? Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:38 am

Yeah, not sure why the logo was ground away. It WAS running pretty clean, with no leakage from the front, so about the only thing I intend to do to it, is a bit of clean-up and cap screws to replace the chiseled out slotted head screws.

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:40 am

Here is a discussion about the Fox .07: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=15626.0
Only challenge I have is the release date. I bought mine in 1960 I believe, months before I joined the Navy (Oct 1960). It could be that Fox started converting and selling the .07 over-runs before Comet stopped selling them. Mine was NIB and the box looked like the one in the thread I referenced. I can't seem to remember running it so it may still be unrun.

As a habit, I ALWAYS break in an engine (old or new) just in case. First half minute VERY rich to remove any old junk from storage.

When you get an engine from an auction site you never know how much the seller knows about engines. I once bought a Fox .29 back before they included pics. It was listed in excellent condition. Upon inspection, it was missing one head screw because the threads were stripped. Same for one of the backplate bolts, which had a 4:40 screw and nut as a replacement. Compression was low, etc., My guess is because the aluminum crankcase was not rusted, it was excellent. Huh...

All was correctable.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum