Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Rolled an oldie out of the hangar Cox_ba12

Rolled an oldie out of the hangar Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Rolled an oldie out of the hangar Empty
Live on Patrol

Rolled an oldie out of the hangar

Go down

Rolled an oldie out of the hangar Empty Rolled an oldie out of the hangar

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:19 pm

I've been reading the stories and looking at all the old and and new builds. This can really breathe life back into a old bird. I built this DC-3 from what I believe came from American Modeler plans from the early 70's. Not being real impressed with the airline version, the militarized C-47 just had to be built. I built this plane 30 years ago and have carefully stored it all these years. Many mistakes were made in my early days of building.

Knowing what I know now, I would certainly have changed many of things, the airfoil being one of them. In order to retain the scale like appearance, I left it alone. The wing itself is entirely sheeted top and bottom so she's no featherweight. All in all the plane just draws attention and looks extremely cool in the air. My son recently treated me to what I think is the coolest part of the model, the cowlings. He spun these cowlings from aluminum and made these for me. I wanted to cut small slits around the perimeter of them and flap them out just like the real plane.

The two Cox Babe Bees needed the entire shotgun blast. This weekend they got the full treatment including polishing of the cranks. These are dual ported Bees from the 80's. Originally this troop carrier had 2 Black Widows up front. Those 2 got donated to the Brodak F-82 twin and these units were installed. The engines haven't been run yet and are eagerly waiting to rev to life.

Towards the fall of this year, I attend a contest in which there is a event known as fun scale. Basically you want a plane to resemble a real plane as accurately as possible and provide any documentation you can find. This isn't a stunt contest where your being scored on maneuvers, although any maneuver you do does get scored. You write down what maneuvers your going to do on your score sheet prior to flying and the order you plan to do them in. The most important part is doing 10 level laps for appearance at 4-5 feet in front of the judges. If all goes well, I plan to install and have a paratrooper disengage from the pushrod. The device is in the making and will be triggered when I give the model up elevator. In addition and this is still undecided, I want to make a hook and pick up a tow glider that was used for the paratroopers.If I can get this to work my son will be in the circle with me flying the glider right behind me as I tow it. I hope all goes well.
 Rolled an oldie out of the hangar Dscn1453
 Rolled an oldie out of the hangar Dscn1454
 Rolled an oldie out of the hangar Dscn1455

Last edited by shawn cook on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Rolled an oldie out of the hangar Empty Re: Rolled an oldie out of the hangar

Post  WingingIt74 Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:07 pm

cool model
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Rolled an oldie out of the hangar Empty RE: Rolled an oldie out of the hangar

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Thank you for the compliment. After posting I was searching for the glider. I came across this particular one which is probably the correct size. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dumas-321-Waco-CG-4A-Kit-Glider-30-Wingspan-/400271863912?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d320ff068 I wouldn't do it as a built up although the fuse may have to be in order to keep it light. I'm just trying to figure out some way to eliminate the shock when I fly the model down using the hook to snag the glider. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Very nice! Have you had any trouble with getting the engines to run in unison?
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Generally, I don't have a problem with keeping the engines in synch. It may take one flight then a additional adjustment. The problem with a twin is when one engine quits. The outboard engine should quit first. With the inboard engine running, this will yaw the plane to the outside of the circle and maintain good line tension. When the inboard quits first the plane is now trying to fly into the circle. This plane isn't too bad but it certainly gets a bit light on the lines at that point.

The way to get the outboard to quit first, is to just start it first. This is a safety factor in my opinion as your now reaching over a running engine to start the other one. This has bit me doing this and I've also had my clip wire fall and get wrapped in the prop. I'm more into safety than going to the hospital so I start inboard first then move to the outboard. I used to have the Master Airscrew 6 x 3's. You may as well have scalpels running on there so I switched to the Cox rubber ducky props. Running a twin would certainly amaze you on how much power it has. You now have two engines to take you into the ground faster. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:57 pm

That's great. When I saw the first pic I didn't even know it was a profile.
Before you take off, you can always top off the fuel on the inboard engine to keep it running longer. I'm sure you've figured that out.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:12 am

Over-The-Top Cool! I think I have the article for this plane, and will scan it the moment I come across it! If you happen to remember the month/year of A.M.M. that had it, please let me know.

You're gonna have to get some video of this machine in action !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am

Kim, I may be incorrect on this but did American Modeler change it's name in the later years? My father purchased the plans, and I diced them up to use as templates. I certainly wish I didn't do that. Every now and then I'll open a box and I'll find a paper template of a rib to those old plans. I was given several old magazines spanning from the late 50's to the 80's. I did come across this in one of them. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:59 am

Yeah...think so...I can't recall the deal at the moment, but they DID change something in their mag's title. I do remember the article though, which had both ground and in-flight photos of the Gooney.

If you build another and want some detail photos let me know. We've got two based at my airport, one of them said to have been Hap Arnold's personal ride during WWII.

Later!

Rolled an oldie out of the hangar C-4710
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:12 am

Kim, I really enjoyed fixing this back up. It certainly needed some help in getting it back together. The engines were glued and wouldn't turn. The vertical stab was broken and the pushrod didn't move freely line it should've. I save all of my paints in a little metal cabinet. I was surprised that the blue underside which was Perfect brand was still good in the can. The paint had a crust inside the can but removing that revealed paint that was still useable. I had to open a patch up in the belly to fix the controls.

I never tried to do any maneuvers aside from a wingover as this plane just doesn't have what I call the "Feel". I came across the saucer while trying to find missing items for this plane. That will be my next restoration. I cleaned up another Babe bee just for it. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:56 am

Saw this on Stunthanger this morning, he says he will fly it at Brodaks fly-in, 1/2 A Scale class. Two AP .061s

Rolled an oldie out of the hangar Ki-45_10

Rolled an oldie out of the hangar Ki-45_11
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:19 am

Did you take your C-47 to Brodaks?
crankbndr
crankbndr