Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Cox_ba12

[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 11:21 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by roddie Yesterday at 9:36 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Mon May 06, 2024 3:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Empty
Live on Patrol

[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Allow guests to post topics and replies.

[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Vote_lcap18%[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 3 ]
[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Vote_lcap35%[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Vote_rcap 35% 
[ 6 ]
[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Vote_lcap47%[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 17

Poll closed

[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Empty [Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions

Post  Admin Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:21 am

There has been some talk around that we should remove guest posting on this forum. They can read the topics, but can not reply or create a topic. I'll have the poll up for 5 days.

Last edited by Admin on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:24 am; edited 7 times in total
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Empty Re: [Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:09 pm

I think if nothing else, visitors should be able to use the search feature. Lots of times I scour forums for answers and info and they have the search locked, but i don't want or need to join.

Of course there's always Google domain search under Advanced. That works better than most one-word forum searches anyway, but a lot of people don't know about that.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Empty Re: [Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions

Post  Carl Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:16 pm

i think its horse crap that guests can post just like members can. i guess they could only do that in the discussions section but still that is the main portion of the forum! I would say if you have to keep the guest access thing, then make a section for them. therefore we know whether or not to believe the info they say in there.
Carl
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:56 pm

The search should work for everyone. I would suggest using the Google option though, it is much better then the forums own search.

Well, Carl then I believe I know what you voted for then.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Admin wrote:The search should work for everyone. I would suggest using the Google option though, it is much better then the forums own search.

Well, Carl then I believe I know what you voted for then.

well looks like everyone so far thinks it is horse pucky that guests could post. I remember posting as a guest once way back and niticed that you had to type your name every time, how is that stopping people from posting as someone else each time? can guests vote?
Carl
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure if there that kind of people on here. This isn't a video game forum or something like that. If it says they are a guest, then I guess you just don't take their word seriously.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:45 am

Admin wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure if there that kind of people on here. This isn't a video game forum or something like that. If it says they are a guest, then I guess you just don't take their word seriously.

i would say the average age here is about 45 years old and most spammers are younger we are generally more calm.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:06 am

If "guests" weren't allowed to post then Mudhen would have probably remained a "lurker" and we wouldn't have got to know him. He's possibly the person who knows more about Roy Cox than any living person today.

I also know for a fact that there are members of the Cox family "lurking" Yes, Leroys descendants are watching us. Do you really want to shut them out?

warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coxengines/

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:54 am

hmmm...looks like its going to be the guest area now...
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:51 am

[quote="nitroairplane"]
Admin wrote:i would say the average age here is about 45 years old and most spammers are younger we are generally more calm.

I would have guessed the average age to be higher. We are probably more calm because some of us keep nodding off while trying to post!!

andrew

I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was "patent pending"

andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:09 am

I believe of the contributers, not just posters, here are seasoned by some years of experience indicated by the content of their contributions.

I'd see the median age ranging between 50 and 70.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:23 am

."Create a ”guest area” where they can post simple questions."

Anyone care to define a "simple question"? Very often a "simple question" can't be given a "simple answer" : i.e.: Why won't my Cox run?

Point being, such questions often come before the poster has skimmed this site in search of answers. Along the way much additional information may be gained and and even pique the poster's curiosity into other matters of interest.

IMO, the quick "drop in and drop out" poster serves little purpose for the betterment of the forum.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:38 am

But we have 2 members under 15 and one under 18.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:47 am

nitro:

If the to young persons are members good for us as a representative group of the spectrum of the modeling community.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:09 am

I don't see the problem with requiring membership to post. "Guests" have access to our "search" file on the forum heading (above). Why allow "guests" to ask questions when answers are very often found there? Seems quite redundant to keep re-hashing the same information.

When a new member joins, his introduction gives a thumbnail sketch of that person thus allowing us to "know" him better as a member of this community.

Tell me, what's wrong with that?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:38 am

SuperDave wrote:I don't see the problem with requiring membership to post. "Guests" have access to our "search" file on the forum heading (above). Why allow "guests" to ask questions when answers are very often found there? Seems quite redundant to keep re-hashing the same information.

When a new member joins, his introduction gives a thumbnail sketch of that person thus allowing us to "know" him better as a member of this community.

Tell me, what's wrong with that?

Asking answered questions won't stop or even lessen due to registration. I constantly preach "searching will find your answer NOW and answers from people who WON'T respond to your question because they are no longer around..." on a Porsche BBS that I am a long time member... Doesn't help. People are lazy and i have caught a tremendous amount of flak for it.

I don't think there is much of a sketch by default. I think I left a lot of fields blank. One of these days I'll get around to adding that and an intro. Laughing
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:52 am

Hereafter I am disinclined to answer guest questions when the info may be found in the "search" file.

Why should I, or anyone else, go to the effort?

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:55 am

SuperDave wrote:Hereafter I am disinclined to answer guest questions when the info may be found in the "search" file.

That is the OTHER reason I use... Why should you expect someone to take the time to provide the detailed answer they gave when this question was asked before?
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:55 am

SuperDave wrote:Hereafter I am disinclined to answer guest questions when the info may be found in the "search" file.

because helping others is great. at least for me it is... Neutral
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:16 pm

GermanBeez wrote:

that is true and most of us with some experience hope to pass it on but i think if take the time to help they can take the less than 60 seconds to register.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:28 pm

GermanBeez wrote:

beez

Then you are of the "kind" type. I believe it no less "kind" to refer them to the "search" file when they can fin ALL sorts of information by themselves.

A good teacher is not a fountain of knowledge but a guide to self-discovery. VERY useful, IMO.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:29 pm

What did you teach SD?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:35 pm

nitro:

If nothing else, good sense. Laughing
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

[Poll Ended] Should guests be allowed to post in Cox Discussions Empty Guest Posting

Post  Godsey3.0 Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:04 pm

I think that guests shouldn't be allowed to post. If there is an issue and you need to ban a member you can be sure that the problem is solved. If guests can keep posting then it can just keep going on and on.

Jacob Godsey

P.S. I am only 16
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Godsey3.0 wrote:I think that guests shouldn't be allowed to post. If there is an issue and you need to ban a member you can be sure that the problem is solved. If guests can keep posting then it can just keep going on and on.

Jacob Godsey

P.S. I am only 16

i concur but i think that Jacob (admin) can ban an IP address. not just a user.

Last edited by nitroairplane on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next