Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

clear laminating film Cox_ba12

clear laminating film Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 5:44 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

clear laminating film Empty
Live on Patrol

clear laminating film

Go down

clear laminating film Empty clear laminating film

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm covering foam with clear covering for strength and fuel proofing. The film has to be light and needs adequate strength. I use reinforced fiberglass tape in areas that require it and I use 3" wide strips doubled and tripled over those areas prior to covering the entire wing. Doing some searching on the net, many r/c / park flyers are being covered with this laminating film. One particular name is Doculam. It comes in many thickness's. Has anyone used this film? I see it being used on foam and many built up fuse projects. It looks somewhat milky in appearance until it becomes heated then turn crystal clear. Has anyone used this product? is there also a go to supplier. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

clear laminating film Empty Re: clear laminating film

Post  fit90 Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:21 pm

Several weeks ago there was thread on it in either RCU or RCG. The thread looked to be pretty in depth.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Ken Cook wrote: I see it being used on foam and many built up fuse projects. It looks somewhat milky in appearance until it becomes heated then turn crystal clear. Has anyone used this product? is there also a go to supplier. Ken

I've used it. It's very tough, less prone to sagging like MoneyKote in the heat, lighter than MoneyKote and it's cheap. The downside is that it takes a bit more heat and is more difficult to easily work around corners.

Doculam is a trade name, but the laminating films are classed as polyester films. It comes in a gloss finish and a matt finish --- the matt is more expensive and I've never used it. It can be painted on the gloss side, but surface prep is a must; I don't know if the matt finish would hold paint better or not, but I would think so. It can also be sprayed on the adhesive side, but very lightly and with a dry coat, otherwise, it interferes with the adhesive. Because it is more heat resistant, it is less likely to burn thru with a heat gun like some of the model plastics. As you noted, it turns crystal clear when heated and shrunk; by crystal clear, I mean like good glass. It doesn't seem to shrink quite as much as the covering films, but with a little care in applying it, you can get a nice drumtight finish.

I like it. It's so cheap that if you're not satisfied with the covering, just strip it off and do over. For planes with short expected lifespans (combat), it can't be beat.

It can be purchased in different widths, lengths and thickness, with the adhesive wound in or out (it's not tacky, but dry like monokote) and on cores of different diameters. You want to buy the 1.5mil thickness.

The best place I've found to buy is Oregon Laminations Company. They have a flat rate shipping of $5.95 which is execellent since these rolls are heavy. You can also buy a single roll at a time(many of the suppliers will sell rolls only in pairs).

They have two good buys for modelers:

1" core, 1.5mil, 25" x 250', gloss, adhesive wound IN for $15.20 plus $5.95 HIS.
2.25" core, 1.5mil, 18" x 500', gloss, adhesive wound OUT for 20.75 plus $5.95 HIS.

I tend to think the 18" x 500' is a better buy since I seldom have the need for a 25" wide piece. You want to apply it with the long side running as it comes off the roll.

Over time, when it comes off the roll, the edges will tend to curl a bit -- you just have to hold it down until it's stuck or cut the curl off.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm indeed using it for combat wings from 1/2A to 500 sq. size. Currently, I'm using the SLC from Corehouse, but I just want to try something a bit different. Cost is a factor. I lost two birds this weekend, one repairable the other is highly doubtful. You just really find yourself tearing off so much covering that it would be simpler just to do over. THis is the problem with prebuilt F2D planes. If packing tape can't repair it your forced to recover. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dankar04 Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:30 am

Hi Ken,
See you made to this site. I sold the Fora .06 as I have a Cyclon .051. I see Fora now has an .049 with angled exhaust. Present time my interest in not with UC as bitten by RC mico helis. I can fly almost anyware/ anytime/ no road trip to a field. Then again I have table stacked with many RTF combat ships. 1/2A/ F2D/ AMA fast/ AMA slow/ Speed limit etc. New Cyclon .051/ new Wasp .061/ new Norvell .061/ half dozen selected real nice TD .049/.051's etc. Problem here in Tucson is Stunt is only game in town. Last time I flew combat planes I was spending more time just to get a launch. As soon as plane was up guy would split. I asked around at contests if any interest and found a guy but he became Mr. no-show. + fiels is 40 mile round trip cross town traffic. = $8.00 fuel burnrd. RC Plane
Later,Dan
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:51 am

Hi Dan, I know you had mentioned your good friend had passed that Cyclon on to you. If your interested in ever letting it go, please don't hesitate to ask me. I also just had some aluminum mounts made for Fox .36's MK engines if your interested. I just finished up some fast foamies myself. I just passed on to a friend 3 brand new piston liners for Cyclon .051's. I had one piston liner for .049 I kept for myself. We had the east coast combat contest this past weekend. My son placed 3rd in speed limit 1/2 A was washed out due to rain. I was looking forward to 1/2 A. I ran out of SLC covering and I decided to try some of the other types of films. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dankar04 Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi Ken,
I haven't tried anything else but SLC as I still have 20 feet of it but several planes it will be gone. I like it I recovered a Checz plane and it looks great. Got some metalic striping to do on it but like it big time. Is Phil still suppling combat stuff ? Last time he had flood problems ??
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Dan, Phil recovered from the flood but it took months as the water was 5' deep in his basement. Luckily, his laser cutter is on a pulley system and he had that at ceiling height. I flew with Phil this past weekend and he was doing real well. Phil and my son had a awesome match together. Phil is back at making RTF foamies as well. This was put on hold for a few months. Last years contest was when the flood took place. The rains came at that contest and the flooding was bad. Later that evening is when the house started to flood. I really should've picked up more covering when I was there. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down