Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville Cox_ba12

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by Boats13 Today at 12:43 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 12:22 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville Empty
Live on Patrol

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville Empty My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:38 pm

10/31/2015

Wayne had too many projects and passed one on to me. A Walter Umland Fancherized Twister kit. He'd finished the fuselage, covered with .5 oz fiberglass and something on top of that, not sure what, but it's beautifully made, and ready for painting. The rest of the kit has beautiful wood, jigs for aligning the wings and stab along with several other building aids in the package. He's already bushed and wired a bellcrank for it, and now I'm in the process of building a rolling hanger to hold the plans up. They're too big to spread on the table.

This is the most elaborate profile model I've ever seen. I can't wait to get to it. He drilled it for a Brodak .40, so I need to see what else fits that bolt pattern, or else get a B 40 for it. I like FPs, maybe one of those or an LA will fit. My Cardinal has an LA .46 on it. But the wing is my main starting point. I'll probably use square balsa blocks glued to the glass table top to support it, as I did with my Osprey and Yak, that worked well. No questions yet, just wanted to show it off. I also have a rod jig that I've never used, but I understand they can cause some unevenness.

Two sets of plans, slightly diferent, but I can see which one he's been working off of.
My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville 1031151447b_zps0cw8geo9

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville 1031151440a_zpsquzkzfud

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville 1031151440b_zpsfbggnzxu

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville 1031151441_zps83995mgs

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville 1031151439_zpsdm3fqofg

Last edited by RknRusty on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville Empty Re: My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:07 am

Rusty, you have one of the finest kits produced in this hobby. There's just no finer available. Walt spends hours doing the setup and CAD work and meticulously watches over every piece. The FP, LA, Tower .40, Max.35S, Double Star, all share the same bolt pattern and case length so they're all interchangeable. Not my cup of tea, but I've seen the Twister fly some pretty competent patterns. While I've watched the Fancherized version, I've never flown it. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville Empty Re: My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville

Post  getback Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:10 am

Good looking Kit Rusty I have heard some of the model and all is good , should be an interesting build with all the jigs Wayne has giving you to go with it . Popcorn Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:36 am

'scuse my ignorance, but what's "Fancherized"? I know the Twister, but what's different in the Fancherized version?
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:13 am

Ted Fancher is a national champion. He made many modifications to the Twister and the Twister he designed quickly became recognized as Fancherized. He increased stab width and I believe fuse length not to mention the built up tripler up front. Flap material and spar material replaced with denser balsa for stiffness. If you look at the tank compartment, it's sunk into the fuse placing the pickup more in line with the engine venturi. Wingtip modifications were also made and half ribs installed with possible D tube sheeting. The stock Twister while it has a very suitable airfoil lacks enough ribs to hold the covering up and creates a starved horse look from leading edge to spar which hampers performance. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:29 am

Thanks Ken Very Happy
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Another look at the fuse here. And soon, when I regain the use of my arm I'll have some wing to show too.
The tripler is just as thick on the inboard side too.
My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville 1031151440a_zpsquzkzfud

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Rusty I just picked up that kit myself. Will be interested to see the wing construction and what yours weighs in at when finished. keep us in the loop.
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:57 pm

londke3 wrote:Rusty I just picked up that kit myself. Will be interested to see the wing construction and what yours weighs in at when finished. keep us in the loop.
Yeah Mike, I will post as I go. This is about the nicest profile plane I've ever seen. Hopefully I can fly it on into Advanced... something I intended to do a little sooner, if you know what I mean.

I'll be back to building this week, so long as the weather dries out like they forecast.

Also, I don't have a picture of Sam receiving his trophy. I wanted it for the Newsletter. If you have one, would you send it to me. Thanks.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:26 pm

I like the tank setup. You probably have to go hard tank with it. Is there any room to adjust height?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:13 am

Cribbs74 wrote:I like the tank setup. You probably have to go hard tank with it. Is there any room to adjust height?
Yep, the tank is in the box with the kit. It mounts on a sliding plate. It looks like at least 1/4" adjustment room in both directions from center.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:53 am

A plastic tank works as well. Keep in mind that you don't need to move the tank at all with a plastic tank. You just need to twist the end cap which raises or lowers the uniflow pipe which is all that's required. WHat ever happened to that Banshee?
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:02 am

That's true, I've had really good luck with plastic clunk tanks. One of the slant faced Sullivans might fit, I haven't held one up to it to see. I'm not sure what capacity the metal tank is. If I use an fp40, I better have 4.5 oz at least.

I need to start thinking color schemes, the fuselage can be painted any time.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:50 am

Hey CEF people, I'm back after the holidays. I took a break from the forums except for just looking in to make sure it was running smoothly. Meanwhile, it rained every day since the week before Christmas and my shop was unuseable because everything was wet. January 1st, the rain broke and the humidity dropped so I could open up and dry it out.

First thing I did was get the Twister wing back on the table. Spent a few days looking at the plans and scratching my head, then jumped in and got some work done. How's this look for a night's work... and yes, it's mostly glued except the LE stick and the TE sheets. I'll do that in the morning I hope.
My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville 01051610

Also installed the new CL venturi Bob made for me on the Shoestring's Max-s 35, and got the Oriental's 40fp back together with 2 new head gaskets. Haven't run it yet and the weather sucks for as far into the future as I can see, but that'll give me more time to get this beautiful Twister finished.
I'll be back more now that we're past the holidays. Hope everyone had a great time.
See y'all soon,
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:26 pm

RknRusty wrote:Hey CEF people, I'm back after the holidays. I took a break from the forums except for just looking in to make sure it was running smoothly. Meanwhile, it rained every day since the week before Christmas and my shop was unuseable because everything was wet. January 1st, the rain broke and the humidity dropped so I could open up and dry it out.

First thing I did was get the Twister wing back on the table. Spent a few days looking at the plans and scratching my head, then jumped in and got some work done. How's this look for a night's work... and yes, it's mostly glued except the LE stick and the TE sheets. I'll do that in the morning I hope.
My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville 01051610

Also installed the new CL venturi Bob made for me on the Shoestring's Max-s 35, and got the Oriental's 40fp back together with 2 new head gaskets. Haven't run it yet and the weather sucks for as far into the future as I can see, but that'll give me more time to get this beautiful Twister finished.
I'll be back more now that we're past the holidays. Hope everyone had a great time.
See y'all soon,
Rusty
Cool man can't wait to see it! As soon as i get my Trex 600N Heli off my bench (almost done with basic setup) im gonna get started on my Baby Flight streak! (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:07 pm

This morning I finished gluing the top-side TE sheet strips in place. Later this evening I figured and fit the bellcrank platform. With no instructions, I'm being careful not to build myself into a corner, so I'm constantly looking ahead before finishing every step. After I got the bellcrank test fit like I want it, I found out the 1/32" TE shear webs are cut with the grain in the wrong direction. I had to be mistaken, right? Nope. The plan says what I already know, vertical grain. They are cut from the same sheet as the TE top and bottom sheeting strips. They are the perfect width and height, only with horizontal grain... dambit. Looks like I'll have to cut them all out myself. What a pain. I was moving along pretty smoothly until I found that.

I'll be needing an engine for this plane. So here's a question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to... Do y'all think the OS.46FX is too much power? I just happen to have one. Otherwise I'll have to get on the 'Bay and find an LA.46 or a Brodak .40. Or maybe a .40fp. It's already drilled for a B40.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:02 am

The B-40, LA .46, LA .40, Max .35S, Double Star .40, Fp.40, Magnum XL, Magnum GP share the same bolt pattern and almost identical case footprint. If I'm correct on this, I believe the .46 is almost 13 oz's. Considering the the original Twister was designed for 6.5 this sounds like a lot. The Fancherized version has been stretched and the tail feathers widened but I believe the engine of choice would be somewhere in the 9.5-10 oz range which is were the LA and FP are. Others like a .40 MAX-S are another option but I would steer clear of that if possible. I've seen too many of those that like to turn off like a switch typically at the worst time. The B-40 weighs the same as the Fox .35 but offers more power which makes it a prime candidate. It may require nose weight but that's easily accomplished using spinners, heavier props like the Thunder Tiger .
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:21 am

The only reason I shy away from the B.40 is because the two that I've pitted for have been finicky cranking. One was inverted, long before I had any experience with that configuration. Have you found them to be any different cranking from the FPs that I know best?
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:20 am

According to the O.S. web site the .40FP is 8.29, while the .46LA is 9.29, without muffler. The Fancherized Twister has the wing mover 2" or so forward and larger horizontal stab. That was the biggest problem with the Twister and Banshee designs very nose heavy, allegedly they were designed that way for stability for a newer flyer.

Here's an old picture of a staving horse, notice ribs...

My Fancherized Twister build; 3 days til Huntersville Mb2_co10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:05 am

What's wrong with the ribs?  Were you supposed to use rib caps and didn't?  Most of my built up wings sorta look like that. Are you being to critical of your build?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:54 am

Marleysky wrote:What's wrong with the ribs?  Were you supposed to use rib caps and didn't?  Most of my built up wings sorta look like that. Are you being to critical of your build?
It's more apparent on the inboard wing in the shadows. That's just lift you're giving away between the ribs. Mine will have half ribs in between to smooth it out and get all the lift that airfoil shape should be capable of. Sheeting it would be even more efficient, but the weight penalty might make it a wash...maybe. This is still outside of my current level of expertise. When I built my Li'l Satan I added a top and bottom spar to fill it out and fatten it up. That was at the suggestion of Bare on RCG. I didn't really understand at the time, but now I'm glad I did.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:23 am

Ken Cook wrote:            Ted Fancher is a national champion. He made many modifications to the Twister and the Twister he designed quickly became recognized as Fancherized. He increased stab width and I believe fuse length not to mention the built up tripler up front. Flap material and spar material replaced with denser balsa for stiffness. If you look at the tank compartment, it's sunk into the fuse placing the pickup more in line with the engine venturi. Wingtip modifications were also made and half ribs installed with possible D tube sheeting. The stock Twister while it has a very suitable airfoil lacks enough ribs to hold the covering up and creates a starved horse look from leading edge to spar which hampers performance. Ken

Thanks Rusty, I must have missed Kens comments on my first read thru the thread. It all makes sense now. Cold Starved Horse.....that's my next models name! Haha.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:21 pm

I think somebody here has the magazine article as a pdf or scans?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:32 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:I think somebody here has the magazine article as a pdf or scans?
Yep, Jim, JPvelo. His Twister thread has lots of good info, I perused it this morning.
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6307-fancherized-twister-build
Mine is a little different with a more built up nose, recessed tank and engine, etc.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:34 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:I think somebody here has the magazine article as a pdf or scans?

http://www.aeromaniacs.com/Fancherized/index1.htm
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next