Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

[Video] Saturday flying - A beautiful day to fly Cox_ba12

[Video] Saturday flying - A beautiful day to fly Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 3:57 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by getback Today at 3:25 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 3:23 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

[Video] Saturday flying - A beautiful day to fly Empty
Live on Patrol

[Video] Saturday flying - A beautiful day to fly

Go down

[Video] Saturday flying - A beautiful day to fly Empty [Video] Saturday flying - A beautiful day to fly

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm finally back in action. If the weather is anything like this, I should have a bunch of good Saturdays ahead of me. Hopefully Matt and his crew can come sometimes Me and the stooge and three planes went out this morning. I had made up a 40' line set on my Sig handle and was ready to give the Baby Flite Streak a try on longer lines. It was a seriously wild ride on 35' the last time I took it out. I also took the old Stuntman and the Blackhawk Kom-Bat, on which I had my high perf red headed Black Widow. I hadn't flown it since I originally had the Medallion on it, which turned out to be a bad fit for that plane.

I did a walk around to scope out the oak trees, and sure enough, my usual spot would put the planes right into the overhanging limbs. I found a spot about 20' closer to the road, but not too close to the big brick church sign. I'd rather hit a tree than a brick wall. I figured I should tune up with the old beater and see if I really did clear the trees, so I hooked up the Chopper.

On its first flight the Tee Dee wasn't quite needled right so it was a bit slow. I managed to do a couple of loops and some inverted laps. The plane had been having recent problems going slack, so before I took it out today, I moved the leadouts back an inch or so and it helped a lot. Even with the under performing engine it kept tight enough, barely. And I didn't hit any oak trees or brick walls. On the next flight the engine was running much better. This one doesn't like to be launched rich for some reason. It seems to have low compression, I don't know if that has anything to do with that or not. I was also using a 5" prop instead of the 5.5, because I figured I needed more speed with the longer lines. Next time I'm going to put a 5x4 on it... or either fly on the 35' handle. This time I was flying along nicely doing my usual thing and the engine just up and cut off. Of course I was inverted, so I had to do a rudder skid landing. Hell with that, I had another plane that would be happy to take its place.

Time to try the BF Streak which hadn't flown since Traveling Prop day and Matt's dad videoed it. So I hooked her up and the .051 did not disappoint. I really need to see what's up with the .049, it ain't even cutt'n the mustard compared to this one. It jumped right up and flew tight and pretty. What a plane. I might have to build another one so I can get it even perfecter. The 40' lines made a world of difference. Not frantic at all. It's time to put a faster prop on it now, so next time I'll take a couple of different ones and try them out. It went everywhere I pointed it... and I obviously pointed it into a thicket of oak. I was flying an inverted lap and WHAP, leaves flew and it twisted and coughed and kept on going. Damn! I had apparently wandered away from my marker by about ten feet while I was standing there doing some figure 8s. So I worked my way back to it and continued flying until it ran dry. This plane's ability to glide still amazes me, but I flipped it over when the wheel touched down. I should complain that they didn't mow early this morning. Laughing The only evidence of the oak collision was a leaf stuck in the unused fuel tank mounting wire.
Now I can imagine the Norvel .061 on this plane. I was skeptical before, but an extra 5' of line made it much more manageable.

After a couple of flights with the BFS I thought about hooking up the Kom-Bat, but the breeze was starting to kick up pretty good and my body was running out of fuel too. So I decided to pack out and go have a beer. If I'd had a cigar, I would have fired it up. But sitting under the maple tree having a cold one, re-flying and no doubt embellishing my morning excursion was good.

I did get a flight on video, so I'll make a movie and post it to the Tube later today.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

[Video] Saturday flying - A beautiful day to fly Empty Re: [Video] Saturday flying - A beautiful day to fly

Post  andrew Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Looking forward to the video. Glad to hear you're back up to speed and on the road to a full mend.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

[Video] Saturday flying - A beautiful day to fly Empty Re: [Video] Saturday flying - A beautiful day to fly

Post  lousyflyer Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:23 pm

All the Flite Streaks are great flying planes. One of these days you should try a full size with a .35 even if it's only for a couple of laps.
lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Looking forward to the video.
Glad to read that you're re-finding your
groove Rusty.
Can't keep a good man down. Beer Cheers
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Yeah Man!

Your back in the saddle again. Sounds like you had some good flights despite your break in the action. I guess you could say Rusty ain't rusty!

Sorry....had to do it. lol!

I am happy you had a good day!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:23 pm

Awesome, I hope you had a blue sky and sunshine the entire time. I can't wait for the video.

If you get a chance get an extra flight in for those of us in south Fla. Mother Nature is getting ready to take a big, fat dump on us.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:41 pm

fit90 wrote:Awesome, I hope you had a blue sky and sunshine the entire time. I can't wait for the video.

If you get a chance get an extra flight in for those of us in south Fla. Mother Nature is getting ready to take a big, fat dump on us.

Bob
Eeeww, that sounds awful.
The video is uploading now. It says 35 minutes remaining.
If there are no churchgoers tomorrow after their service ends at 6:00, I want to take it back out. I flushed out today's bladder with denatured alcohol, so it ought to still be in good shape. I'm going to try a 5x3 on it.

Last edited by RknRusty on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Here it is. After watching that again, maybe my above question about the size of the outside loops is just my imagination. They all looked okay. I almost slapped it on an insider too.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Dang Rusty!

I hope to fly like you someday. Too bad we didn't live closer so you could teach me a trick or two. Impressive!

Cool video thanks.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks Rusty, best thing I've watched today. Popcorn
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:30 pm

I love entertaining y'all. I want to get Matt over here. He could fly that plane. It's very well behaved and will fly flat if you so desire. I was only putting a half full tank in it today. It'll fly for seven minutes with a full bladder. That seems like for freakin' forever. I better order some more fuel soon.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Aspeed at RCG was talking about lap times, RPM and pitch. I used my video to time it for two flat laps, the only consecutive low flat laps I could find before it started fuel starving. From 1:24 to 1:30 I turned two flat laps, making it 3 second laps at 40' plus about 26" of my arm ~ 42' radius, about head high, but not sure exactly. That would affect it some. But roughly, over 6 seconds it traveled 527 feet(2 laps). If I did the math right, that comes out to 59.9mph. I'll try to double check that.
Anyone got a speed chart? That might work better than blowing the dust off of my geometry skills.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:42 pm

All that mathy stuff hurt my brain.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Here's one, but you'll have to convert your
arm+line length to meters.
There's a calculator there for it.
http://www.flycl.co.uk/control_line_speed_calculator.htm
Hope it works.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:16 pm

Just put your data into the chart and came up with 59.94mph.
Looks like your geometry is spot on Rusty.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lousyflyer Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm

It looks like your about to take off some shingles at 1:24 in the video. What kind of camera are you shooting with? The vids look really good.
lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:17 pm

dckrsn wrote:Just put your data into the chart and came up with 59.94mph.
Looks like your geometry is spot on Rusty.
Bob
That's what I got from the calculator too. Damn, I can still do math. How 'bout that. That's probably fast enough for now. On 30' lines in the previous video it was a pretty frantic flight. I was glad when it ran out of gas that time. I was pretty comfortable at 59.9mph in yesterday's flight.

lousyflyer wrote:It looks like your about to take off some shingles at 1:24 in the video. What kind of camera are you shooting with? The vids look really good.
A Samsung PL210 point and shoot. Just a $120 little flat camera that happens to have a video function. Samsung makes the best optics. Even my Samsung cell phone takes good pictures.

I'm not as close as it looks, but I did notice I wandered too close. I could have run into the stooge. I got lucky a couple of times in that flight. I came close to clipping some grass.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:25 pm

congrats Rusty, you're gettin'er done! That tree is gotta go, lol.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down