Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Saturday in September - flying adventures Cox_ba12

Saturday in September - flying adventures Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 11:01 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Saturday in September - flying adventures Empty
Live on Patrol

Saturday in September - flying adventures

Go down

Saturday in September - flying adventures Empty Saturday in September - flying adventures

Post  RknRusty Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:44 pm

I decided to test fly the Chopper with its rebuilt Tee Dee with a new #4 set on it. And I could tune up myself to fly the BFS. It ran great, none of that nonsense cutting off and all that rot. It hangs on the lines tight but the loops are gigantic. They didn't used to be, so I don't know what's up with that. It's fine though, it makes a great trainer, it's super stable. Maybe that's a clue. I could lighten the nose a little. I was doing some 8s with it when one of the lines popped at the bellcrank. CRAP! to quote Kim. It was stuck in an outside loop so I started walking backwards and watching in amazement as it kept coming through the loops. They are tighter than the inside loops. It was loosening up so I reached out and grabbed a few feet of down line, still back-peddling when it finally hit the ground. Not too hard though. I couldn't find any cracks, it didn't even blow the bladder.

I thought there was a topic where I had asked for advice on wingovers, but I'm not sure where it is. I posted about it on RCG too. I was just messing around with the Streak, cruising along at it's usual thrilling scream, doing my usual assortment of tricks. The BFS is slowing down for me now... not really but it seems like it the more I fly it, just getting used to it. I almost forgot about the wingovers until I burned a half tank on my last flight, but I did about 5 of them, some really ugly at first, not completely overhead, but the last couple went straight over the top and pulled out in a snap. I can get it shoulder height before pulling up on the lines and it just whips out wherever I point it. Leveling off was a little jerky but I didn't hit the ground. and the overhead part was sorta wavy, but I can tune that up. There is no lack of pull on the lines up there. I did not try a square loop. I'm actually more leery of that than the wingovers. I'll save that for the Li'l Satan. All it needs now with its new TD is balancing, but flying time beat me to it today.

I got a few good flights in with the Streak today. Did some cool triple outside loops but it was Really close to the grass on the last one, I thought it was toast. I kept nosing over on my landings though. I hate that. Mostly I over flared at the last second and flopped, bouncing over. So on my last flight I was bringing it around nice and level just getting ready to stall it... it was going to be perfect... and it wrapped around the stooge. Talk about a tight turn, damn. Chipped the rudder tip too. Oh well no pain no gain.

Next time I fly the streak, I'll focus on wingovers instead of just messing around. Thanks for y'all's tips though. I tried to keep them in mind while I was doing it. It just goes faster in real life than it does in my head. I would say there's no breeze in my head, but I won't.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Saturday in September - flying adventures Empty Re: Saturday in September - flying adventures

Post  lousyflyer Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Did you get the crash flight on video?
lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Saturday in September - flying adventures Empty Re: Saturday in September - flying adventures

Post  RknRusty Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:43 pm

lousyflyer wrote:Did you get the crash flight on video?
Naah, sorry, no video today. I took the camera with me, but I didn't feel like messing with it. I have to place it a long way from the circle, so it adds a helluva lot more walking back and forth, fiddling, and making sure it doesn't cut off at ten minutes. No matter that it holds 27 minutes of video, it still cuts off every 10 or so. Even without the camera fuss, after my flying activities I'm limping so freakin' bad I can hardly drag the wagon home anyway. I love getting videos, but sometimes I have to choose between flying and showing off. I didn't have any eyewitnesses today either. When I figure out a new stunt or two, I'll video it. I worked on wingovers a little so I'll video that when I smooth it out. And the Li'l Satan re-maiden will get some camera time.

Besides the crash was more of a bump. Nothing spectacular. Now the near crash of the Streak would have been a train wreck. It was flat out hauling ass, upside down an inch off the ground. If I had that on camera, I could tell you what happened, but it was all so fast, I really don't know if it got ahead of me or what. All I remember is when I saved it, I was looking over my shoulder at it. I don't remember what I had just done, but apparently it was a bad idea. I really felt bad about coming that close to busting it, but then I thought... well, I was good enough to pull it out. So, that's something.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:33 am

RknRusty wrote:

I got a few good flights in with the Streak today. Did some cool triple outside loops but it was Really close to the grass on the last one, I thought it was toast. I kept nosing over on my landings though. I hate that. Mostly I over flared at the last second and flopped, bouncing over. So on my last flight I was bringing it around nice and level just getting ready to stall it... it was going to be perfect... and it wrapped around the stooge. Talk about a tight turn, damn. Chipped the rudder tip too. Oh well no pain no gain.

I wrapped up a big longhair dog that had wandered into the flight path of my plastic F-15. The ole F-15 was met with yelping, snarling bared teeth and fast snapping jaws once it bit into the dog.. I believe the dog figured it had just be attacked by a very loud grey carnivorus bird. Other than a few teeth marks on the plane, neither were injured,,only a bit of pride on both ends.

Sounds like you got some good flight time in Rusty, congrats!. I for one enjoy reading this stuff.

EDIT: Just to reiterate, the dog was unharmed. Once I could catch him and settle him down a bit I pulled the hair apart on its side where it bit in and it just had a couple red marks. Other than maybe getting a couple taste's of some nasty spent castor oil and maybe a few nighmares, he was fine.

Last edited by PV Pilot on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:09 am

lol!

That's funny.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:07 am

Similar to Rusty, I once ahd a belcrank failure on a Veco "Chief" Class C stunter. The down line was jammed and the plane, with full wing flaps, went into a series of VERY tight inside loops.

I too back pedalled but I also raised my flying arm incordination with the plane's loops. As the plane lost airspeed in it's consecutive loops I was able to time them so that the plane lightly touched the ground breaking only the prop.

The "Chief" lived on to fly many times again.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down