Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Cox_ba12

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Today at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Today at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Today at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Today at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Today at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Empty
Live on Patrol

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday!

Go down

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Empty Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday!

Post  Kim Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:26 am

So, the Belleville R/C Flyer's held their Annual Swap Meet at Swansea, Illinois, and some of the Flyers went there, followed by a run back down Rt 3. to Breezy Hill for some flying on a crazy-perfect day for March.

Here are some random photos from the Swap Meet, and flying at Breezy after lunch:

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8912
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8910
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8911
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8913

Patrick Bought the Mustang.
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8915
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8916
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8914

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8918
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8919
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8917
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8923
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8922
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8921
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8926
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8925
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8924
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8928
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8929

"The Official Raffle Ticket Drawer"
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8927
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8932
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8931

Mud Dabber is gonna get a "less old" .35FP after S.M.A.L.L.
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8930
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8933
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8935
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8934

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Img_8936

And Then...Back at Breezy:
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 0_38

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 500_112
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 550_110
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 576_10
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 572_10
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 574_10
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 585_10

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 650_11
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 65210

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 902_14

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 600_18
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 602_11
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 604_10
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 612_12

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 780_11

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 710_11
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 712_10
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 718_10
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 750_11
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 752_10
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 754_10

Last edited by Kim on Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Empty Re: Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday!

Post  getback Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:57 pm

Nice Day for sure !!! That's a nice complete Mustang package Patrick got And how much was the 35 you got I couldn't read the tag Snowman Smile Really good day to fly if it was anything close to here weather mid 60s ... Weather is so crazy my dog is shedding, well like a dog lol real Bad !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Empty Re: Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday!

Post  Kim Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:45 pm

getback wrote:Nice Day for sure !!! That's a nice complete Mustang package Patrick got And how much was the 35 you got I couldn't read the tag Snowman Smile Really good day to fly if it was anything close to here weather mid 60s ... Weather is so crazy my dog is shedding, well like a dog lol real Bad !

Hey Eric!

The O.S. .35 was tagged for $40, I got it for $35.  It turned smooth and the screws mostly haven't been screwed with, so I went with it.  Its muffler will get the crock pot treatment to remove the paint, and the whole thing will get bolted to Mud Dabber after S.M.A.L.L. 

It's funny to think that Mud Dabber will FINALLY have an actual "FP" O.S. engine after all the time I THOUGHT its "FS" was an "FP"!

The rest of my haul was pretty utilitarian...I got a set of light-weight, 6 inch wheels for 5 bucks, a couple short servo extensions for 3 bucks, and an assortment of wheel collars.

The big wheels will go on a Space Walker that's been waiting to for some more flying.  It has had a hard time with the front yard/pasture grass, so maybe these will help.

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 1_237

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:49 pm

Swap meets are the best. Was just looking at my Honker Bipe this morning wondering if I would fly it again. Got some new rules that need a $5 "license plate" for each plane. About 20 planes things begin to add up. Nice to know some guys are out flying.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:54 pm

Looked like a pretty decent swap meet and a great day flying!  Weather sure beat what we had at the first of the week.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:27 am

I take it the Mud Dabber plans call for a 35 FP or just something you wanted ? And 6" wheel THAT
S BIG 1/4 scale ? have you had ur coffee this morning Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:05 am

getback wrote:I take it the Mud Dabber plans call for a 35 FP or just something you wanted ? And 6" wheel THAT
S BIG 1/4 scale ? have you had ur coffee this morning Very Happy

cheers cheers cheers cheers
Well, like anything to do with my toys...there's a story:

As I might have mentioned, my first real dose of R/C flying (not counting my wonderful, but very independent-minded Minnie Mambo and its escapement radio) came by way of my bud, Kevin giving me flying lessons with his Mk. I Kadet back in 1975.  The kit calls for engines from .19 to .40 sizes, and Kevin got a Fox .25R/C or something like that.

The engine had enough power, but no matter what he did, the Fox just refused to idle---new fuel---following the directions over and over---swapping glow plugs---nothing helped, so the plane was flown at full power, and the throttle lever just used to kill the engine for landing.

THEN...he ordered a .35 O.S. from the New-To-Us Tower Hobbies.  I remember the first time we fired up the O.S. and drew the power back...the thing idled like an electric motor...and we stared up at each other, grinning like possums.

Guess I was imprinted like a baby duck, because the O.S. .35 became THE engine to use.  The .40 was a case size larger and just seemed like too much.  So I  bought a .35 for the Goldberg Shoestring I built  a couple years later, and this was the engine that went on Mud Dabber in 1982.  I THOUGHT it was an F.P., but it wasn't, and I just kept calling it that.

But now I KNOW!!!
Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! Dabber10

The Space Walker is a second hand. .40 size ARF I've had for a pretty long time.  When I got it home, I swapped out it's pretty wheel pants and scale wheels for larger diameter units, but they STILL have a tough time in the cow pasture.  I've flown it a Breezy several times, but would like to fly it at home also.

So, it may end up looking clodish with the 6" wheels, but a boy got to do what a boy got to do!!

Swap Meet in the Morning---Flying in the Afternoon...A Pretty Nice Saturday! 1_238

And yes...the Folgers is Long Gone!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:02 am

Interesting story Kim, thanks for sharing. The Fox from what I am told (and @Ken Cook can correct and advise better with his intimate experiences with Foxes), the Fox carbs did not follow standard carb setup practices.

One adjusted the low speed setup first, then the high speed. Not long ago, an old timer (shoot, we are now old timers  Old Bugger ) helped a flyer with one, did the adjustment and had it running correctly. But the guy couldn't leave his hands off the adjustment, next time had it buggered and the old timer redid it, explaining the procedure again. Some time passed, club members kept telling him, "buy an OS and your troubles are over". Next time at the field, he had an OS. In this particular case, if it ain't broke, don't fix it can't be left alone by some. old timer just quietly shook his head.  Rolling Eyes  Tired w/ Coffee Read Laughing

Only reason why I mentioned it is perhaps there was no one to teach your friend. Smile

I have besides my .15X's, have a still new in the box Fox .25 R/C cross scavenge engine. I purposely bought it from Tower in the late 1990's, because it was the last of the cross scavenges to be sold. It has the later MKX carb and their improved big chamber muffler.

Reason why I haven't used it yet is I don't have an R/C plane for it yet. Maybe then I'll learn what fun it is. Doh! Laughing

I did have a bugger of a time back in the late 1970's getting my OS .10R/C cross scavenge running correctly. It didn't like the Fox idle bar plug. Then, I tried a new Swanson Fireball Red non-idle bar plug, it fired right up, as reliable running as my Coxes, became my favorite engine, outlived a couple R/C planes. It was my favorite R/C engine because at only 3 oz. weight, a perfect upgrade for that R/C .049 trainer. Wink Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:20 am

It could totally be that we weren't treating it right, but I can't see how.  Even in those young and squirrely days, we pretty much followed the directions.

The engine was hooked up right out of the box with no adjustment but to the high speed needle---per directions.  It was was run for a pretty good while as a break-in, and some more after the problems surfaced.  

The idle needle was also the fuel nipple (I'm pulling all this from memory for what it's worth), and I remember us adjusting it according to its papers, only AFTER it refused to idle.  We did this several times over its use, because it flew his Kadet at least a couple months before he could get the cash for the O.S.

It may have been a basically good engine, but the shock of just dropping the O.S. in place and having it run and idle right out of the box, caused the Fox to get sent to the spares box.  This was all re-enforced a few years later when I got my O.S., and had the same results, and with every other O.S. I've purchased since.

So, I'll bow to those can make the Foxes idle cause, in the words of Dirty Harry,
"A man's GOT to know his limitations!!!"  And...I do! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:47 am

Kim, it is probably one of those tribal knowledge things. Very Happy

Reminds me of a Farside cartoon. Wife a couple times goes to the store, comes home and tries to match up the missing wooden ornamental post top on the masterbed. None match. Husband watching this finally gets a saw and cuts off the other post top. Now the masterbed end posts match.

lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down