Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP Cox_ba12

REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP Empty
Live on Patrol

REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP Empty REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP

Post  happydad Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:46 pm

I have tried everything to remove the back cover on a TD .051 I am working on without success. Soaking, heat, heat and gentle twisting pressure. Tape on the tool to avoid damage of the slots in the back cover.
Has anyone out there been able to remove a stuborn TD back cover AFTER trying all the above?
any help will be appreciated.

edited 11-14-12 9:02 p.m. PST - i finally removed the stuborn backplate of the TD .051 using a combination of all the mentioned advice. the quick stroke with a ballpeen hammer and a metal tool on the filed square corners finally worked. i realized that there were already someone elses plier marks on the backplate and a few more scratches wouldn't matter.
thanks again for all the advice.

happydad Small Cox Logo

RC Plane Futaba Radio RC Plane

Last edited by happydad on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : FINISHED removing stubborn TD backplate.)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP Empty Re: REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:03 pm

I usually clamp my Cox wrench in the vice so just the long edge is sticking out of the top. Wrap the engine in a rag so I can get a good grip, stick the slots on the edge of the wrench, press down on it with all of my weight(which ain't much) and turn the engine. If the slots are rounded out, I square them up with a file first. Show that sucker who's boss.

Or you could slot a couple of wood blocks so you can secure the engine in the vice, put the blade of a decent sized screwdriver in one of the slots and whack it with a hammer.

I'm a pretty experienced mechanic so I have a feel for things, so if you don't feel confident about how to secure it, how hard to whack it, what size hammer, screwdriver, etc., don't try too hard with that method. Those steps may sound excessive, but I don't mar parts. I do show them who's in charge in my shop.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP Empty Re: REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Good advice from Rusty, if you have the circular TD wrench that is the one I would use.

How much heat have you used? I have gone as far as using a propane torch on the real stubborn ones. Just don't hold the flame on the case too long. Normally a heat gun does the job for me though.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:00 pm

I should get a Tee Dee .049 wrench. I have an .09 wrench.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP Empty re: advice

Post  happydad Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:05 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Good advice from Rusty, if you have the circular TD wrench that is the one I would use.

How much heat have you used? I have gone as far as using a propane torch on the real stubborn ones. Just don't hold the flame on the case too long. Normally a heat gun does the job for me though.

Ron

thanks Rusty and Ron for the advice. I have tried heat, but not with a torch. i used a heat gun and got closer and closer without results. I will try the method with vice and brut weight tomorrow. I had used a vice and the edge of the Cox tool with a rag wrapped around it. and if all else fails i'll contact Rusty again. happydad Small Cox Logo

happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:23 am

HD:

I would but add that my Weller Portsol butane "mini torch" tip, lightly applied, has those stuck backplates coming off nicely with the flat side of a Cox wrench.

A covering heat gun most likely won't apply enough heat on really stubborn backplates in my experience.

Last edited by SuperDave on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:47 am

RknRusty wrote:I usually clamp my Cox wrench in the vice so just the long edge is sticking out of the top. Wrap the engine in a rag so I can get a good grip, stick the slots on the edge of the wrench, press down on it with all of my weight(which ain't much) and turn the engine. If the slots are rounded out, I square them up with a file first. Show that sucker who's boss.

Or you could slot a couple of wood blocks so you can secure the engine in the vice, put the blade of a decent sized screwdriver in one of the slots and whack it with a hammer.

I'm a pretty experienced mechanic so I have a feel for things, so if you don't feel confident about how to secure it, how hard to whack it, what size hammer, screwdriver, etc., don't try too hard with that method. Those steps may sound excessive, but I don't mar parts. I do show them who's in charge in my shop.

If you've got a flat file that matches the slots, you might try clamping IT in the vise, as it will be a little harder than the metal in the wrench and it's surface has "tread" , grip the engine with a cloth after heating, and push it onto the file while torquing it.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:37 am

Kim wrote:If you've got a flat file that matches the slots, you might try clamping IT in the vise, as it will be a little harder than the metal in the wrench and it's surface has "tread" , grip the engine with a cloth after heating, and push it onto the file while torquing it.
Now that's a rocking good idea. You could post that in the "Best building tip I ever got" over at RCG.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks Rusty,

I got to try to get over to that site more often...lots of good stuff there. With my dial-up service, anything with much of a graphic tends to choke it down while loading!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:37 pm

[quote="RknRusty"]
Kim wrote:If you've got a flat file that matches the slots, you might try clamping IT in the vise, as it will be a little harder than the metal in the wrench and it's surface has "tread" , grip the engine with a cloth after heating, and push it onto the file while torquing it.

The file that fits into the backplate slot best is a 6 inch "mill bastard" (sic).

I have nice collection of jeweler's files on hand. Very useful for lots of things. Very Happy
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP Empty re: files

Post  happydad Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Kim wrote:
RknRusty wrote:I usually clamp my Cox wrench in the vice so just the long edge is sticking out of the top. Wrap the engine in a rag so I can get a good grip, stick the slots on the edge of the wrench, press down on it with all of my weight(which ain't much) and turn the engine. If the slots are rounded out, I square them up with a file first. Show that sucker who's boss.

If you've got a flat file that matches the slots, you might try clamping IT in the vise, as it will be a little harder than the metal in the wrench and it's surface has "tread" , grip the engine with a cloth after heating, and push it onto the file while torquing it.

the problem with files is they are very brittle and if they break they can shatter and do a lot of collateral damage. happydad Small Cox Logo
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:14 pm

If 90% of the file is trapped in the vice and you're only using the long edge, I think it's pretty safe. Wear glasses.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  jsesere Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:47 pm

Boil the engine in water on the stove for 1/2 hour.
jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:09 am

If it's any consolation NEW TD .049-.051 backplates are available from EX Model engines for about $5. Not sure about Cox International.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 am

SuperDave wrote:If it's any consolation NEW TD .049-.051 backplates are available from EX Model engines for about $5. Not sure about Cox International.

He did, but I think he's out of stock now.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 am

This subject of "frozen" engine parts as been SO overdiscussed that I'm going to "log off" for spell.

See ya!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Familiar things do come up repeatedly Dave, I agree. Sometimes things that are "old hat" to some are "new hat" to others. No need to sign off as your help and guidance are appreciated and needed.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:15 pm

cribbs74 wrote:...No need to sign off as your help and guidance are appreciated and needed...
Yeah, what would we do without our forum dad. Smoking

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:31 pm

andrew wrote:
SuperDave wrote:If it's any consolation NEW TD .049-.051 backplates are available from EX Model engines for about $5. Not sure about Cox International.

He did, but I think he's out of stock now.

Yes, we are out of them. I have them on the "to do" list but they probably will not be completed until early next year.

I plan to modify the wrench slots and square them off. Cox had a width of 3/32" for the width of the slot which was fine, but the radius at the bottom makes it difficult to remove covers that were really stuck without ruining the backplate. It will most likely be 3/32" width x 0.055" deep.

Matt
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Ever consider turning the backplate into a hex drive? That way you can use an allen key.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:05 pm

EXModelEngines wrote:
......................I plan to modify the wrench slots and square them off.
Matt

Great idea!!!

The radius at the bottom of the slot has always been problematic. Under pressure, the wrench tends to ride up and out of the slot, either rounding off the top or popping out entirely. For backplates that are "boogered" up, I've used a flat file to square off the radius and cut the slot wide enough to remove any rounding that may have occurred.

Using a file in a vice is an excellent way to apply decent pressure. It gives you a chance to really push down and use the full depth of the slots, plus using two hands on the engine alone, I can get more "torque" to the backplate.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:37 pm

Take the damn thing off with pliers. Get a new one if you're into aesthetics.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP Empty re: removing TD back plate

Post  happydad Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:26 pm

RknRusty wrote:Take the damn thing off with pliers. Get a new one if you're into aesthetics.

being retired has lots of advantages: more time, and less responsibilities. and one big disadvantage: no income. that is why i buy, rebuild and resell on ebay. to have a little disposable income. very little lately. happydad Small Cox Logo

happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:35 pm

Understood..... Did you get it off yet?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

REMOVED - how to remove TD .051 back cover. HELP Empty re:TD back cover

Post  happydad Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:44 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Understood..... Did you get it off yet?

haven't had a chance yet. my wife has not been sustitute teaching and we babysat the grandsons yesterday. maybe tomorrow. i'm slow, but careful.
thanks to all for all the advice. happydad Small Cox Logo

happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next