Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A better ending Cox_ba12

A better ending Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 11:51 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A better ending Empty
Live on Patrol

A better ending

Go down

A better ending Empty A better ending

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:28 pm

This just showed today. With the way things have been going with the Bean this was a nice surprise.

Ron

https://i.imgur.com/8MouK.jpg

A better ending 8MouK
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A better ending Empty Re: A better ending

Post  Ken Cook Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:34 pm

They're getting harder and harder to find. A great kit in my opinion and lots of fun to fly. Ken

Last edited by Ken Cook on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Here's a pic of the goodies:

A better ending Cosmic10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:43 pm

That looks like a lot of potential for fun flying, and not too hard to build. I'm glad you got that as I may be moving up in size over the next year and I have plenty more to learn about turning wood into a flying machine. Have you got an engine for it? The plans in Andrews post show a Fox 35. I suppose there are modern equivalents, but from what I read, not much works better than the Fox with the 4-2-4 break for stunting. That style of flying would be a new learning experience for me too. Maybe we can learn to do more than full bore panic loops.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:10 pm

What's wrong with full bore panic loops? lol!
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Go to Fox's website and if you send them an engine they give a discount (I am fuzzy on the specifics, so look it up or email questions)

https://www.foxmanufacturing.com/

The only think I don't like is their staunch stance of castor oil only, no synthetic. I just got my rather old not broke in Fox15 BB RC back, they took good care of me. I have a plane for it, but only 1 RC receiver for two planes. I am rebuilding the Tower 40 into a Franken-SPAD with a tower 40 wing using the Debonair plans for a new fuselage.
http://www.spadtothebone.net/

I need to buy a new radio instead of using this rather darn nice hand-me-down crystal radio from my neighbor. He just switched to Spectrum brand stuff, but can trainer cable to this radio with the stuff he has. (I wish he had that cable the first time we flew together)

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:20 pm

andrew wrote:Here's a pic of the goodies:

A better ending Cosmic10

My first "Big Airplane" build !!!!!!!!!!

A better ending Scan310
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:22 pm

RknRusty wrote:That looks like a lot of potential for fun flying, and not too hard to build. I'm glad you got that as I may be moving up in size over the next year and I have plenty more to learn about turning wood into a flying machine. Have you got an engine for it? The plans in Andrews post show a Fox 35. I suppose there are modern equivalents, but from what I read, not much works better than the Fox with the 4-2-4 break for stunting. That style of flying would be a new learning experience for me too. Maybe we can learn to do more than full bore panic loops.

A modern .25 would work well also. Since you like to go fast, there is a "Foxberg" racing event where a Fox .35 on a Carl Goldberg plane are required. For stunting you would enjoy that 4-2-4 sound with the Fox .35. For ease of operation you may enjoy an OS LA .25S or a Fox .25.

The Fox .35 should have at least half castor lube because of the metalurgy. Most Fox users suggest 25%-28% lube.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:00 am

Both the Yak and the Cosmic Wind will be .35 powered. Sure their may be better engines out there, but Ken Cook is supplying me with a Fox .35 and to be honest since these kits are vintage it only makes sense.

Why didn't Cox make a .35? lol!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 am

pkrankow wrote:I need to buy a new radio instead of using this rather darn nice hand-me-down crystal radio from my neighbor.

If money's tight (ain't it always?) and you haven't had any interference problems, check the RCG and RCU classifieds. With a little patience you can pick up a 72mhz receiver for 10 or 15 bucks. It is worth waiting for one with a crystal on your transmitter frequency, since you can wind up paying more (with shipping/handling) for a crystal than the receiver. RCG has threads for crystal trades and giveaways, also.

Older receivers are mostly positive or negative shift only (Futaba, Hitec negative, JR, Airtronics positive), but some later designs are shift detect or select. There are even a few high end receivers that are frequency synthesized, no crystal required. But these seem to go for more bucks and are usually 7 or more channel units.

(N.B.: You don't have to necessarily buy the same brand receiver as your transmitter, which is one of the beauties of the old 72mhz technology, as long as the shift matches. I have a Hitec transmitter, $15 off ebay, I use with Hitec, Berg, and Cirrus receivers.)
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:31 am

ahrma_581 wrote:
pkrankow wrote:I need to buy a new radio instead of using this rather darn nice hand-me-down crystal radio from my neighbor.

If money's tight (ain't it always?) and you haven't had any interference problems, check the RCG and RCU classifieds. With a little patience you can pick up a 72mhz receiver for 10 or 15 bucks. It is worth waiting for one with a crystal on your transmitter frequency, since you can wind up paying more (with shipping/handling) for a crystal than the receiver. RCG has threads for crystal trades and giveaways, also.

Older receivers are mostly positive or negative shift only (Futaba, Hitec negative, JR, Airtronics positive), but some later designs are shift detect or select. There are even a few high end receivers that are frequency synthesized, no crystal required. But these seem to go for more bucks and are usually 7 or more channel units.

(N.B.: You don't have to necessarily buy the same brand receiver as your transmitter, which is one of the beauties of the old 72mhz technology, as long as the shift matches. I have a Hitec transmitter, $15 off ebay, I use with Hitec, Berg, and Cirrus receivers.)

Good plan. I have not had any luck with ebay yet. I will check RCG more often.

We fly behind a public school with farm fields around it. The only interference is us, and we usually have only 1 plane in the air at a time, even if my neighbor's nephew is flying with us. There are no flying clubs within many miles.

I plan to fly my Ringmaster control line on the soccer fields at the same school when I am ready for it.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Ron, I do have one word of caution with the Cosmic Wind. They do build tail heavy. This isn't the case in the Yak-9 and most Sterling kits. You really need to slow the controls down and limit the elevator travel. I've seen many Cosmic Wind planes have a horrific first flight. This is where the Higley hub can work well for you. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down