Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ? Cox_ba12

Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 17:40

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 17:39

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 17:33

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 17:20

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 15:08

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 14:52

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 13:34

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 13:14

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 22:01

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 19:46

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 19:32

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ? Empty
Live on Patrol

Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ? Empty Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ?

Post  dankar04 Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 14:32

I just wondered if most just collect/ play or do fly these engines. I know reedies can be a pain and alot of TD's have been changed out with bogus vendor parts. Still some are good. I went through a bag of TD's I had and a few needed correct parts. Have about 8 true TD's and two semi complete. I fly Uc and FF. I also do RC but use different engines. [Norvel's] TD .09's are excellent engines for glider pods and uc. Good as standard .15 and lite. TD .020 is about best engine mass produced of any engine. Just want to ask. lol!
Dan Flying
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ? Empty Re: Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ?

Post  SuperDave Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 14:54

dankar04 wrote: I just wondered if most just collect/ play or do fly these engines. I know reedies can be a pain and alot of TD's have been changed out with bogus vendor parts. Still some are good. I went through a bag of TD's I had and a few needed correct parts. Have about 8 true TD's and two semi complete. I fly Uc and FF. I also do RC but use different engines. [Norvel's] TD .09's are excellent engines for glider pods and uc. Good as standard .15 and lite. TD .020 is about best engine mass produced of any engine. Just want to ask. lol!
Dan Flying

Dan:

As for me I have five pre-95 Black Widows all in excellent operating condition. While my RC planes are EP, the BW Coxes see use in CL applications principally in stunters. I'm considering FF for my PeeWee .020 but have yet to find one the appeals to me.

My TD .010 sits NIB and will probably be passed on that way upon my demise. I have two grandsons and my modeling stuff will be divided between them but ONLY if they are interested.

In fact, I am working on that now. Smile
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ? Empty Re: Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ?

Post  nitroairplane Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 15:01

dankar04 wrote: I just wondered if most just collect/ play or do fly these engines. I know reedies can be a pain and alot of TD's have been changed out with bogus vendor parts. Still some are good. I went through a bag of TD's I had and a few needed correct parts. Have about 8 true TD's and two semi complete. I fly Uc and FF. I also do RC but use different engines. [Norvel's] TD .09's are excellent engines for glider pods and uc. Good as standard .15 and lite. TD .020 is about best engine mass produced of any engine. Just want to ask. lol!
Dan Flying

I fly cox engines in RC FF and now CL applications on at least a weekly basis and run my engines almost every day.
I regualarly build, fly repair and break models and thats part of the hobby for me.
My favourite cox engine is the tee dee .010 followed by all the others in second place as most have a special place in my heart.
I think we have enough in the world to be able to use most as Cox made more engines in their time on the earth than all the top 3 car makers made cars ever.(or is it top 5 i forget)
and that says something.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 17:17

Dan Flying

Hey Dan,

I've got a shop full of Cox engines, and they all get their turn at flying. I enjoy control line flying and radio control and have found them to be great dependable powerplants. If one doesn't run right, there's usually a very good reason, and one that can be corrected.

My friends and I flew a Cox-powered (thanks to Bernie!) Minnie Mambo 15+ miles from the back of a pick-up truck, and raised more than $1600 for St. Jude Hospital. I intend to attempt a 50 mile flight at some point...that project is on the back burner for now.

Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ? 7_11

I use a cox Medallion .15 to launch my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane.

Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ? 4_11

I've somehow avoided a lot of the problems associated with the reedies, but I don't do push them hard for RPM's, so that may be the difference.

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 18:02

I fly any of mine that fit the need of the day. I love flying them, but I'm not one of the collector members. I'm in it for the fun of flying, that's where I get my modeling rocks off. I have 3 pre-95 Black widows that are the horses in my reedie fleet. Also a hopefully hot package(Cox .049) on my Stuntman 23 that I can't seem to get around to test flying. Lots of parts to make what I need if it isn't already built.

EDIT: Not meaning to imply our collector members don't love to fly too. Biplane

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ? Empty Cox

Post  dankar04 Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 19:41

Glad to see they are being used. Keep up the good work/Dan Flying
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 21:27

i still fly cox engines, i have a overused very rough black widow that should have been turned into parts by now but it still goes strong! the plane has been recovered several times and is over 30 years old. I don't remember the original name of it but it looks like a j3 piper cub. it is RC and not CL, like most weekly flier CL planes, they all got trashed sooner or later.
Carl
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 4:00

Carl wrote:i still fly cox engines, i have a overused very rough black widow that should have been turned into parts by now but it still goes strong! the plane has been recovered several times and is over 30 years old. I don't remember the original name of it but it looks like a j3 piper cub. it is RC and not CL, like most weekly flier CL planes, they all got trashed sooner or later.

My engines don't get turned into parts until they turn themselves into parts Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 5:15

Yeah, it's amazing how ragged these engines can get, and STILL pull a little plane around the sky! My original Black Widow (with an occasional gasket/ reed change) still runs fine enough to pull it's 2-Meter glider up to "Speck Height".
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 6:32

Kim wrote:Yeah, it's amazing how ragged these engines can get, and STILL pull a little plane around the sky! My original Black Widow (with an occasional gasket/ reed change) still runs fine enough to pull it's 2-Meter glider up to "Speck Height".

yeah its mad but in little 2 strokes there is not much to go wrong and when it does go wrong it is usually an easy fix.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  hlsat Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 11:13

I'd like to use them to fly airplanes, not to sit for collection.
hlsat
hlsat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 11:34

Although I have my set of engines that sit on a shelf most of the time (mostly the NIB ones), I do have a little fun with them. I have Flown RC and CL before and I did enjoy it but I haven't flied in at least a year now. I do make and play with prop rods and what not. Other then that, I mostly run them on a stand now.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 19:08

I have about a dozen or more models sitting there ready to go with Cox engines in them that I have built or collected over the years.

2 x Black Hawks Pitts Specials (one has a black tank Golden bee, the other a QRC), 1 x Black Hawk Fokker Tri Plane with a Babe Bee, 1 x own design Tiger Moth with a Golden Bee (for looks), 1 x Fokker Eindecker with Cox Babe Bee, 1 x Open Mouse racer with a Tee Dee 051, 2 x Brodak Baby Clown with Black Widows, 1 Brodak Baby Clown with Norvel Big Mig, 1 x Brodak Baby Clown Electric, 1 x Hyper Viper RTF with hopped up Sure Start, 1 x Fokker DVII RTF, 1 x Sopwith Camel RTF, 1 x Rescue Copter RTF, 1 x 1/2A Combat wing with Black Widow, 1 x Flying Stop Sign with Norvel 049, 1 x FF Viking with Tee Dee 051, 1 x FF Binatang with Pee Wee .020. I also have a couple more old models with no engines in them but I have a box of old cox motors too so these could easily be brought up to flight ready.

I also fly F2B Aerobatics so I also have about 15 x stunters ranging in size from 48" to 60" span with various engines like Saito 4 strokes, Super Tigre, Fox and OS 2 strokes and Outrunner Electric only 1 of these is RTF the rest I have built myself.

Click here for a look see... http://users.tpg.com.au/adslfk4u/myplanes.html

Most of these have been flown and get flown from time to time, usually during our Autumn (Fall) months when most of our flying days happen.

warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coxengines/

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 19:16

i just got into this, so my views may be invalid,but i purchased my first engine (and will continue to do so) out of the thrill of flying.
just my 2cc's

SS
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 19:42

warrenlead wrote:

Click here for a look see... http://users.tpg.com.au/adslfk4u/myplanes.html

Great flying. I watched the Classic Aussie stunt pattern first. I love those big planes, but I haven't ever held the handle on one. Flying my 1/2A flat and level that close to the ground is hard to do. I'm gradually learning to fly all the stunts, I can do all the basics but I still have some practicing to do. Then I watched the combat. Turns out I've watched that one many times. Bare posted it in my Li'l Jumpin Bean build thread back in the Spring. It never gets old. Amazing how those engines scream. I wonder what they were.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 19:44

shell shock wrote:i just got into this, so my views may be invalid,but i purchased my first engine (and will continue to do so) out of the thrill of flying.
just my 2cc's

SS
Doesn't matter that you just started, your cc's are worth posting any time.
So, whaddya think, is it better than Flightsim?

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 19:47

RknRusty wrote:Doesn't matter that you just started, your cc's are worth posting any time.
So, whaddya think, is it better than Flightsim?

Is that a trick question? There is nothing like the smell of burning nitro on a crisp morning. Wouldnt trade it for the world. I love this forum for what they have brought to light for me. I just hope one day my kids will enjoy this fine hobby as i do.

SS
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 20:04

RknRusty wrote: Then I watched the combat. Turns out I've watched that one many times. Bare posted it in my Li'l Jumpin Bean build thread back in the Spring. It never gets old. Amazing how those engines scream. I wonder what they were.

Which one was that... one of mine? If it was one of my mates with the F2D combat models the engine would be either a FORA 2.5cc or CYCLON 2.5cc Russian F2D engine. They are currently using FORAs, awesome sounding engines.
warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 20:34

One of the guys' names was Tom and one of the lines got cut sending it into a continuous loop.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 20:45

Ah yes Tom is the son of my mate, that I went to high school with. Tom came 3rd (Jnr) in the 2010 F2D World Championships in Hungary. He has recently qualified No 1 Australian (senior) for the 2012 F2D World Champs in Bulgaria. He's just recently turned 18 a very good flyer, he started out on 1/2A's too.

Everyone needs at least 1 F2D motor... lol You can get FD2 Motors from here

http://shop.viko-shop.com/index.php?language=en

and here

http://technohobby.com.ua/online-shop/en/engines/fora

Cheers

Last edited by warrenlead on Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 23:10; edited 1 time in total
warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 21:31

I have a around 7 or so cox engines, about half run or get to run. I'm currently building my first 1/2a plane - RC with pre-96 Black Widow, and several devices to tame the power.... lol!

I have a really nice 60's Babe Bee in excellent condition that I keep on my shelf when not running.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 22:16

warrenlead wrote:
Active builder/ flyers using Cox engines ? Lilsatan

Did you ever write a article for a model airplane magazine? I have no idea where the magazine is anymore but it had to have been around 2006. I do know it was a Lil' Satan with a Venom .049 in it, I clearly remember it! I can not remember what the magazine was called either. The picture was black and white.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 23:18

Admin wrote:
Did you ever write a article for a model airplane magazine? I have no idea where the magazine is anymore but it had to have been around 2006. I do know it was a Lil' Satan with a Venom .049 in it, I clearly remember it! I can not remember what the magazine was called either. The picture was black and white.

I have written many magazine articles and have had my pictures in many others... have been in Model Airplane News, Airborne, Stunt News, Model News, Australian Control Line News, Control Line World, 1/2A Flyer and Quiet & Electric Flight that I can think of... there may be more. Smile

Cheers
warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 23:57

warrenlead wrote:
Admin wrote:

I have written many magazine articles and have had my pictures in many others... have been in Model Airplane News, Airborne, Stunt News, Model News, Australian Control Line News, Control Line World, 1/2A Flyer and Quiet & Electric Flight that I can think of... there may be more. Smile

Cheers

I must have seen yours then! Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Sat 22 Oct 2011 - 0:03

That model flew very well. Very quick and maneuverable. I vaguely remember it being in Control Line World when it first came out...
warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next