Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Cox_ba12

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by rdw777 Today at 5:56 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 5:52 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Empty
Live on Patrol

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser"

Go down

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Empty One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser"

Post  Kim Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 am

In the 1960's, my Uncle Wayne built this Jetco Super Cruiser, posed here with my cousins Bobby and Carol, and powered it with a well-worn, and muffled Cox engine, along with an occasional super-tired Wen Mac as well. It was our "Dead-Calm Day Airplane" due to it's extremely "casual" performance, flying with what could only optimistically be referred to as "Line Tension". While I never personally witnessed them, Wayne told stories of it making several forays into the flight circle, with only Bobby's fast "back-peddling" saving the day.

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Waynes10

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" 1_16

It was also a personal favorite of mine because, to me, it seemed so much like a real airplane. The slow turning engine required a pretty decent take-off run, and it's super slow flight allowed for careful "full-power" touch-and-goes, running it on it's main gear across the infield dirt of our local ball diamond.

In the 1980's I was able to get the same kit from America's Hobby Center, and decided to build it as a slow-flying R/C. I chose a throttled Dragon Fly .049, and built it "Old School" with Ambroid, Aerogloss, and silkspan. Models of this era always seemed to me to be built over-the-top-complex: resplendent with plenty of bracing angles, lamination of parts, and with the legendary "die-crushed" parts sheets. I persevered though, and finished the plane, installing a "Micro" Airtronics flight pack.

The flights were an R/C version of it's predecessor, with SUPER slow passes being it's specialty. We only got a couple of trips to the field however, before my little Cruiser planted it's self in the pavement. In those days, I still used a "Wall Tick" block charger, plugging it in the night before a flying session, and just hoping for the best.

Near as I can figure, the battery gave up the ghost, and gave me full down elevator on it's way out, with no chance of backing off the throttle to lessen the carnage.. These planes are rigid little rascals, and other than the wing, just about everything in that complex, stick and tissue fuselage was shattered, along with my morale!

Still, I've got some photos of it doing it's thing:

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Pa-12510

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Pa-12310

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Pa-12411

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Pa-12110

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Pa-12210

Hope this isn't too boring, just some more lint-gathering from an aging kid !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Empty Re: One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser"

Post  Mudhen Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:30 am

Last edited by Mudhen on Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" Empty Re: One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser"

Post  Kim Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks Mud ! Just don't want to put the troops to sleep....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:48 am

You're joking Kim, please don't stop anytime soon.
I wish I had just one photo of my past models.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 am

Hardly! I always love hearing about the adventures (and misadventures) of our fellow members. Good share, and I feel for you. It looked like a great plane.
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks Guys. If I were to preach anything to my younger compatriots, it would be to TAKE PICTURES: ...of your house...your street...the neighbors' dogs...the tree that always ate your Sleek Streek...and of the ones you love.

We got all this good digital stuff now, so USE IT ! At some point in the future, you'll be glad you took a few seconds to record stuff that may seem boring right now.

One of the Coolest, Most Short-Lived Planes I Ever Built...Jetco PA-12 "Super Cruiser" X-mas_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:21 am

I do love the stick and tissue models. One day soon I'll turn it from talk into something on the table. Thanks for the inspiration, Kim.

Right now I'm keeping a promise to my 8 year old neighbor(now 9) to build her a Kitty Cat plane. Based on a platter plane, I started drawing it out on the 3/16" foam board this morning.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:34 am

Cool deal! You can never under estimate the impact on a kid when an adult gives them some time and inspiration.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:59 am

I LOVE that model. That's model building at its best!!!!!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down