Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My ball-driver set Cox_ba12

My ball-driver set Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My ball-driver set Empty
Live on Patrol

My ball-driver set

Go down

My ball-driver set Empty My ball-driver set

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:17 am

I use a 5 piece standard ball driver set by DuBro available from Tower Hobbies (LXE249) @ $16.99 and are also available in metric sizes should you need them (which I haven't).

I'm posting this as a separate thread from the discussion on ball-drivers on the PeeWee .020 thread.

This ball-driver set as many diffent applications in addition to the PeeWee .020.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

My ball-driver set Empty Re: My ball-driver set

Post  PV Pilot Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:41 am

I have several different sets of ball drivers after racing 1/8 scale offroad for years. From the HUDY racing stuff that is very expensive and precise, to the OFNA racing tools that fit in the end of a Makita power screwdriver, to the el cheapo L bend Ace hardware ball driver sets in there own plastic holder. You know which one I go to the most?? The cheap ace hardware stuff. Next up would be the Ofna ball driver tips, because they do fit nice in a power screwdriver, then the HUDY tools because they have a severe undercut to the ball driver section, which allows you to start or drive screws at a sharp angle, like say engine mount screws under a muffler. The problem with the severe undercut on the ball section is that it makes it easy to break if you put to much load on it at an angle. Small diameter ball drivers should only be used for starting screws, you get up around 20-30ftlbs or so and the heads start to twist and ultimatly fail.

I have both metric and standard for all 3, hand tools and power screwdriver styles. I like the Ace Hardware sets the best because they are ball driver on the long end, and a straight cut on the short L bend.

Bondhus makes about the best ball drivers. I have some of those as well. The Tower Hobbies set you posted dave is Bondhus.
http://www.bondhus.com/products/bits/body61.htm
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:06 pm

PV:

Then Bondhus they are, I'm happy and so a you.

I build up a "shopping list" at TH and let it accumate until they have a nice discount offer. Then, and only then,do I place my order when the "gettin's good".
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Yup, the discount coupons are great with TH. I really like the save $20 for $50 spent ones,,thats the best deal. Some are save $10 for $50, which are pretty good.

The Bondhus tools are very durable. I have a 4-40 ball driver that I bought in the very early 80's that is still holding strong.

I threw some ebay motors into the soak bin just now in the shop and took a peek at the Ace hardware ball driver wrench sets and these are the two I have.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1340610&kw=hex+tools&origkw=hex+tools&searchId=58472054233

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1292316&kw=hex+tools&origkw=hex+tools&searchId=58472072063

This is not the price I paid though, they weren't that high when I bought them. They had them in the discount bin (which I check regularly) for $15 per set.

They are excellent starter sets for anyone just delving into the hobby, or for the experienced folks. Long shank tool sets with very durable tips. I have plyer grabbed the L bends to really crank on the ball tips and none have snapped so far. use good judgement with the tiny tips.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:52 am

Just a update. I purchased a full metric drill bit set from Bisco tool supply out of florida and they sent me one of there catalogs. As I was sitting on the Thomas Crapper I came across this little item.

http://www.biscotoolsupply.com/home/bis/page_3388_222/22_pc_ball_driver_set___fractional__metric.html
The same sets that I have, at way less than what I paid at Ace Hardware. In there catalog they sent me, they are sale priced even lower at $15.95

A good site with lots of nifty tools and such. Was looking at there adjustable heat gun that goes up to 1000°F.

PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down