Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Why the venturi difference between the TD and Medallion? Cox_ba12

Why the venturi difference between the TD and Medallion? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» need info on this
by crankbndr Today at 3:07 pm

» Post your Older books
by crankbndr Today at 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 1:33 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 1:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 12:15 pm

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 10:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 9:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 9:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 3:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 9:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Why the venturi difference between the TD and Medallion? Empty
Live on Patrol

Why the venturi difference between the TD and Medallion?

Go down

Why the venturi difference between the TD and Medallion? Empty Why the venturi difference between the TD and Medallion?

Post  Matt1967 Sun May 26, 2013 6:50 pm

The TD has a venturi that screws into the carb body , while the Medallion has a one pc carb body and venturi. Is there a performance advantage to the TD setup?
Matt1967
Matt1967
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Why the venturi difference between the TD and Medallion? Empty Re: Why the venturi difference between the TD and Medallion?

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 26, 2013 8:02 pm

The biggest difference is just the cost of the parts. The TD was more of a quality engine whereas the Medallion was a more affordable one.

The venturi sizes are different and I believe the medallion carb body on a TD actually increases the performance.

In short the TD was a contest engine and the quality of the materials reflect that. The Medallion was made for the average flier.

My opinion is the crank is what really separates the two in performance.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Why the venturi difference between the TD and Medallion? Empty Re: Why the venturi difference between the TD and Medallion?

Post  anm2 Sun May 26, 2013 8:46 pm

cribbs74 wrote:The biggest difference is just the cost of the parts. The TD was more of a quality engine whereas the Medallion was a more affordable one.

The venturi sizes are different and I believe the medallion carb body on a TD actually increases the performance.

In short the TD was a contest engine and the quality of the materials reflect that. The Medallion was made for the average flier.

Ron

Is it possible to mount a Medallion venturi on a TD engine? Or must it be modified first? I have never heard of anyone doing something like that. Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Yep,

It's a simple swap. Like I said I read somewhere it helps the TD breathe better. Never felt the need to do it myself. I could simply drill the venturi if needed.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun May 26, 2013 10:15 pm

I always thought the main reason for the difference is to make the Medallion easier to crank, and also run on suction without being as finicky about the setup. That's partly what makes it an easier engine for the sport flyer as opposed to the competition flyer. The cylinder is also much less aggressively ported which adds to ease of use, but lower performance. It's a #2 single bypass on the .049. I don't think a Tee Dee venturi will make a Medallion a faster engine, just more difficult to crank and needle.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Why the venturi difference between the TD and Medallion? Empty re: medallion carb on a TD??

Post  happydad Sun May 26, 2013 11:33 pm

anm2 wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:The biggest difference is just the cost of the parts. The TD was more of a quality engine whereas the Medallion was a more affordable one.

Ron

Is it possible to mount a Medallion venturi on a TD engine? Or must it be modified first? I have never heard of anyone doing something like that. Andy

also note that the needle valve assembly, (the needle and spray bar), are different between the Medallion and the TD. If you need the Medallion red plastic carb please PM me. happydad Small Cox Logo
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down