Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Cox_ba12

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 5:20 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Empty
Live on Patrol

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Empty Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother!

Post  duke.johnson Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:40 am

Sorry "Brother of the Ring" Mark, I had to tie this into your builds. I need to get the Ringmaster fleet ready for the "Ringmaster Fly a Thon" in October. So I thought I would build my first S-1, my son had one last year. He is waiting for his kit to build one also. I have a Baby that needs another fuse and would like to build another Beginner to boot. And only just over a month to go. I would also like to build a coroplast Beginner Ringmaster for the new guys to solo on. So many planes, so little time.

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Wing10

Here's what I have after the first two nights.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Empty Re: Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother!

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:30 am

Duke,

The wing looks great! I always get a kick out of Brodak calling it an S1 when it is more like an S1-A.

Are you a member of BOTR?

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Empty Re: Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother!

Post  duke.johnson Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:51 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Duke,

The wing looks great! I always get a kick out of Brodak calling it an S1 when it is more like an S1-A.

Ron

Yes, I'm member of the Ring. Well I think, I sign in when I go to there web page. I don't know a lot about the changes one company made to kits, so I don't know the difference. Brodak's number is CLP-82 which makes me laugh when I see it. It's a very simple build except for the leading edge. Three pieces, why? There's a lot of carving there, but I just planed it down and cut a template of the wing cut out, which I glued sand paper to. It turned out pretty good for me.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:09 am

Here's the paint scheme from my Baby Ring.  I have a Junior with the same scheme I thought I would make the whole fleet the same.  But I have a new paint scheme in my head that I would like to use, it might be to modern for a Ring though.

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! 6-2-1310

This is the one that hooked "The Other" Mark. It's covered in Mono. The Big Brother will be dope over Polyspan.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:38 am

duke.johnson wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Duke,

Ron

Yes, I'm member of the Ring.  Well I think, I sign in when I go to there web page.  I don't know a lot about the changes one company made to kits, so I don't know the difference.  Brodak's number is CLP-82 which makes me laugh when I see it. It's a very simple build except for the leading edge.  Three pieces, why?  There's a lot of carving there, but I just planed it down and cut a template of the wing cut out, which I glued sand paper to.  It turned out pretty good for me.
Duke,

The later Sterling S1-A had the built up leading edge like the Brodak. The Sterling S1 had a solid 1" leading edge which made for a very robust wing. I have put that theory to the test.....

The only advantage to the built up is weight saving. It looks and flies the same.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Perhaps a saving grace of the Brodak CL-84 "Baby Ring" it that it features a one-piece LE and not a "built-up".  Ditto for the original full-size "Ring" by Matt Katana (IIRC).

My CL-84 been a tough little flyer for me surviving inverted "landings" with little more than a broken prop.

SD

BTW, this makes 3K posts! Very Happy 
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:28 pm

Cool deal on the Ringmaster Participation in the Fly-A-Thon! I've been promising for three years now to have a go at it, so maybe 3 is the charm!

I have a tough time getting around their site though, and wish it had a format like Jacob's Place!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:36 am

I agree their site is hard to get navigate. I started the polyspan covering on the wing tonight. I didn't have a ton of time, with the trip to the RC field to see a couple friends (one of which asked a bunch of questions about CL), an a BBQ. I know hard life. Maybe I can make more progress Sunday.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Hey, Duke!  Looking good.  I can't wait to see the finished product.  Let's see, the Delta Park fly-in is in 8 days.  That should be enough time to finish and test fly.... Very Happy 

The Pushy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Kim-We have flown couple RM Flyathons now, last year we put up 80 some flights. Hope we beat that this year. That's full tanks, none of that short tanking.

Mark- I might have to just finish it for you. Pushy Mark is right.Very Happy 

Here's the update. Wing is covered in polyspan and has several coats of dope on just the wooden parts and one coat over the whole wing. The fuse and tail feathers are in the sanding booth (so to speak). I'm not sure if I have enough polyspan to cover the fuse and tail feathers, so I might just dope them.

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Dsc_0014

And my 16 year old just received his kit this weekend.

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Dsc_0015
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:20 pm

And here's the progress tonight. Another coat of dope on the wing. And put everything together.

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Dsc_0016

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Dsc_0017
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:17 am

Good job, Duke. I like the matching landing gear!!

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:33 am

Nicely done!!!! How do you like the polyspan?
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:27 am

Looks Great! I really need to try a dope finish sometime.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:57 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Looks Great! I really need to try a dope finish sometime.
Be aware, dpope finish is really addictive, Flying Beer Cheers  Flying 
navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:36 am

Lieven- the landing gear serves a dual purpose, when I stay up to late I fill them with coffee.

Andrew-I like polyspan, it's easy to use. If I had not ran out, I would have covered the fuse and tail feathers. It looks better if you do. Some say it doesn't go around corners very well, but it seems to do as well as plastic cover.

Ron-Dope seems to weigh much less than Lusterkote and other spray paints. It seems to be best if you brush the first few coats on, sanding between, then go to the spray gun. My wife doesn't like the smell, so I dope in the good weather mostly.

Thanks all for the comments. Still trying to get it done for 'Pushy Mark' on Labor Day.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:52 pm

And the progress report. My full size RM is coming along nicely. Used Superfil for the fillets and patching. Ready for more dope tomorrow. Daniel's still framing his wing when he's not at work. Started the repairs on the BRM tonight, not much left. But it's better than starting completely over, I guess. The BRM wing is behind Daniel's wing, looks the size of the tail feathers.Very Happy  Cute!

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Dsc_0020

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Dsc_0021
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:53 am

Well, a little clear dope went down on the RM, and made pretty good progress on the BRM.  If I don't go fishing tomorrow, I should get to color dope on the RM. And with any luck, covering on the BRM.  Daniel is still working on carving his leading edge.

And Baby Pictures lol! 

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Dsc_0022
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:44 pm

Holy Cox! Those look awesome! You're screaming long on those. I see I picked a good role model for C/L. Can't wait to see how they end up. If this is the work you produce under pressure, you're one cool hand. Remind me to goad you on for your next build.

The Gadfly Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:58 pm

They Both look great Duke. Nice Work!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:27 am

Thanks guys. You guys are my bright spot in the day. All started out well, but when I was about to start working on planes.... My Mom called with bad news, my best friends Mom was in the hospital. Her and her husband were traveling up here to see family and she went to the E.R. with what started out as pneumonia and after that cleared up they could see all the cancer, it's bad real bad. She and my friend asked if I would come, of course he would be there for me. It was good to see her smiling face when I walked in. I can't sleep, so I'll sit at the table and quietly cut balsa or something while the family sleeps. Life is short friends, love your friends and family every chance you get. Sorry to bring things down, just had to get off my chest.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Empty Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! And all the little brothers!

Post  duke.johnson Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:32 am

Well it didn't take long to get tired last night. But I did have time to cut this out before I went to bed.  It's a Beginner Ringmaster for the beginner, it's cut out of coroplast and I need to decide if it will get a Cox or the other darkside electric.  Please don't throw stones, I just thought the electric would be nice for the beginners.

Another new Ringmaster. The Big Brother! Dsc_0023
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Real sorry to hear about your troubles Duke. Will be praying for your friends.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Real sorry to hear about your troubles Duke. Will be praying for your friends.

Ron
Thanks so much Ron. That is what they need. I don't know if his Mom is a believer, but the whole family could use the prayer. Today is a better day, just hard to take at first.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:53 pm

duke.johnson wrote:...I can't sleep, so I'll sit at the table and quietly cut balsa or something while the family sleeps. Life is short friends, love your friends and family every chance you get.  Sorry to bring things down, just had to get off my chest.
Yeah...... Tell 'em you love 'em, because you never know when you'll see them the last time. Sorry.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next