Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

109 years old!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

109 years old!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by MauricioB Today at 12:37 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

109 years old!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

109 years old!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

109 years old!! - Page 2 Empty Re: 109 years old!!

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Uglier, quieter and in a word, boring! lol! 

Just kidding.

Ron

Edit: That looks harsh after the fact. If I insulted you in any way I am truly sorry Ian. I am sure they are both great engines/motors.

Ron

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:23 pm

what' the spec on the electric? Sorry Ron! Do you know of a good electric to put on a Baby Ringmaster for stunting? I'd like to be well rounded and have glow and electric. And I don't mean my belly.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:32 pm

If you no longer want your TeeDees I would be happy to take them off your hands! I'll even spring for the postage!

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm not getting rid of any engines, just branching out a little. The electric are fun sometimes, they just don't smell or sound right.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:51 pm

duke.johnson wrote:I'm not getting rid of any engines, just branching out a little. The electric are fun sometimes, they just don't smell or sound right.
Aha! My point exactly. I really don't care what anyone uses, I am just playing around. It's no different then me posting Fox engine pics.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:57 pm

I know buddy, I'm just messing with you. The electrics have come a long way. All the guys who made the US team are running E-planes. Including Howard Hush, a guy in our club. He's been coming in right behind Paul Walker in our local contests. Needless to say, even if I ever learn to fly the whole pattern, I'll never stand a chance of winning a PA contest.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:51 pm

You never know Duke, practice makes perfect as they say. Electric is what may save this hobby, as much as I don't like them they are very practical. It must be nice to take a leisurely stroll to the handle and wait for the plane to come alive. Not to mention not having to wipe down a model. If they could only put sound boards on the plane to make them more authentic sounding. Bet that's just around the corner.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:11 pm

I had my first up close and personal "e" experience yesterday. Wayne brought his scratch built eNobler out to the field to maiden after I got my Shoestring practice out of the way. It's really something. Academically, I knew the power was there, of course, but to witness it up close hanging on just as if it were a screaming .40 drove it home. His lap time was too slow, so he plugged in his box and told it to run 300 RPM faster and run for one minute. I was tasked with checking his roll attitude as he flew. He flies and works the stopwatch at the same time.Rolling Eyes I tried that... once. Not a good idea for me. After a couple of flights he had the lap speed perfect. Unfortunately he didn't want to fly it any more because the grass was too tall. It had already shredded my Monokote, looking like Freddy had attacked it. But it was very enlightening to see the routine for setting it up, launching and flying. Quite impressive. And... I really hate to say it, but tempting. He just relaxed and chatted while I ragged my plane down with alcohol.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:12 pm

I have two e-motors, but nothing to stunt. I'm going to build an e-Akromaster and would like to build an e-Baby Ringmaster, it's really nice to walk out the front door to the big field to fly 1/2A's. It sounds like we all like the sound and smell though. I did hear the other day at the R/c field that they have planes with sound and speakers onboard.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:29 pm

As I've said I a previous post, no noise? No hazardous chemicals? Wheres the fun in that? I'm sure the e planes are fun to fly but I get to much enjoyment from tweaking an engine to run well.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:31 pm

you're right.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:24 am

duke.johnson wrote:... I did hear the other day at the R/c field that they have planes with sound and speakers onboard.
Ya wanna run that by me again... speakers? Like making engine noise?
Maybe they should take a can of dirty oil and a paint brush to grease them up too.lol!

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:10 am

RknRusty wrote:
duke.johnson wrote:... I did hear the other day at the R/c field that they have planes with sound and speakers onboard.
Ya wanna run that by me again... speakers? Like making engine noise?
Maybe they should take a can of dirty oil and a paint brush to grease them up too.lol!
Maybe parkzone should include a bag of balsa dust with their planes so you can scatter it around the workshop and pretend you built the airplane as long as your playing make-believe.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:28 pm

That's jus what I heard at the R/C field.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:48 pm

I have no wish to cause controversy on this site. It should be seen that my love of IC engines is endless and an increasing addiction.

I take on engines that people would consider junk, restore and run them.

I have no idea how many Cox engines I have - some rarer than "Rocking Horse S...!" - I also have lost track of how many I have restored and modified.

This pales into insignificance with the number of engines I collect to restore and then run to test - Glo, Diesel and Petrol - I have callouses on my fingers from flicking props! I do prefer diesel though.

BUT !!!!!

Where I live, I would be fined heavily for flying with any fuel based aircraft. Within 10 minutes I would be nabbed by the bogeymen.

However, I can fly anything electric up to 10kgs ................ doesn't make sense to me but I have to live with it.

I am not a good flyer being almost blind in one eye but still enjoy it and have to take extreme care. If I sense that I am losing the plot - I have no hesitation to nose dive the plane into the ground and take control of events. It may seem strange but sometimes I cannot judge distance (or orientation)  and in some lighting I can be blind sided and do not hesitate to drop the bird into a safe area.

I have done this three times in the last year and fly nowhere if people are around (other than with me!). My landings are a bit hit and miss.

It is heartbreaking to have spent many hours building a model to end up with matchsticks. Particularly ones I cannot light a cigarette with!

Therefore, most of my flying is with electrickery and foamies. No time involved - take it out of the box, install a charged battery, pre flight checks and it is good to go.

Break it! Oh dear, how sad, well never mind!

They do not have the presence, the sound or the smell of IC based planes but they are easier to fly, set up and have many amazing features that I am still exploring.

Sound - there are many sound systems although they really need to be in the larger models due mainly to the size of the speakers.

One of the latest innovations - apart from AS3X which allows me to fly small planes in less than ideal conditions

The AS3X System works behind the scenes to stabilize an airplane in whatever attitude you command. It does so using a combination of sophisticated 3-axis sensing technology and exclusive flight control software tuned by expert RC pilots.

In a 3D aerobatic model, the AS3X System makes slow speed and knife-edge maneuvers feel much more stable even when the pitch and roll rates are set extremely high. In a scale park flyer or ultra micro, it will counter the effects of turbulence on windy days so the plane tracks beautifully and feels more precise. Maybe you‘re a scratch builder who finds that scaling and CG limitations make it tough to create agile or realistic looking models that aren‘t a handful to fly. The AS3X System can help here too. What the AS3X System does not do is limit control or fly the airplane for you. You always have control. The AS3X System simply gives you more.

is the developments with GPS systems that allow a single button press to return the model to where it started. This has now been released for the Parrot AR drone and I have no doubt will soon be incorporated for aeroplanes.

The only trouble is that these devices are sensitive to vibration and cannot be used with small IC engines. For someone like me, who needs assistance - a single button press to get out of trouble. Why not? I can still fly!

Here are some of my latest acquisitions for restoration

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5613-1959-fox-rocket-09

They will all be pristine when finshed, tested but I will not fly with any of them!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Uglier, quieter and in a word, boring! lol! 

Just kidding.

Ron

Edit: That looks harsh after the fact. If I insulted you in any way I am truly sorry Ian. I am sure they are both great engines/motors.

Ron
Definitely not insulted!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and to express it as an "off the cuff" or "tongue in cheek" remark.

I enjoy the comments and find the passion that contributers display in all aspects of our hobby on this site enlightening, entertaining and often amusing.

I am too thick skinned to be insulted!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Good!

Now I can sleep better! Very Happy 

Sometimes things sound funny in your head, but don't look so hot on paper.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2