Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Field Case Cox_ba12

Field Case Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by akjgardner Today at 5:37 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:45 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:34 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:24 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Today at 11:48 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Field Case Empty
Live on Patrol

Field Case

Go down

Field Case Empty Field Case

Post  ian1954 Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:32 pm

I received the latest copy of Aeromodeller magazine yesterday - skimmed through it and was drawn to an article on using a readily available (well in the UK!) tool case to build one.

The plastic was softish and, although requiring some pressure and several passes, was easily cut with a craft knife.

It was easily scalpelled to accept a motorcycle battery, power panel, battery charger and all my leads. I also added another sort of charger which is driven from the battery for charging unmentionables (to some!)

Field Case Field_10

I only have to lift the left hand (yellow) lid to draw out the lead for charging the battery. Everything else isn't permanently connected and just needs crocdile clipping to the extended battery posts or plugging into the powerr panel (after connecting).
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Field Case Empty Re: Field Case

Post  pkrankow Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Do yourself a favor and get a rubber or plastic cap on those battery terminals so they can't be accidentally shorted.  A split piece of garden hose is a good choice, but there surely is better.

That is a fantastic idea.  I have that exact box for my soldering and electronics repair kit.  They are big, handy and cheap, but the plastic catches on the yellow lids break easily.

Phil

(I cut up cheap tool boxes often enough because the results are valuable)
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:17 am

Nicely done! I have a hobby flight box and have never been happy with it.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:11 am

Hey Ian!

I have the exact same case as my flight box! Funny!

I can't stand mine though. I have to dig for what I need and I can't organize it. Plus it's my sons.

I plan on making one out of ply. I wonder if there is plans somewhere?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:44 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Hey Ian!

I can't stand mine though. I have to dig for what I need and I can't organize it. Plus it's my sons.

http://betterfly.ca/RC_plan_other.html

http://www.teamseaholm.com/photoalbum/supertbox/index.htm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217563

http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/tridium_model_plans/tridium_flight_box.htm

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks Ian! I should be able to come up with something. You did a good job with your Box BTW!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:26 pm

ian1954 wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Hey Ian!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217563
Ron, This one that Ian listed, looks like it would be better for your larger models... The 1st link was cool too... but a completely "open" design, which gets dirty inside real fast. You "can" however see everything... and the bins are shallow. I don't like having to "dig" for things either... You can always design your own; taking from other designs features... to perfectly suit your needs. 1/8" plexi-glass hinged "bin covers" would keep dirt out, and give you a visual of where items are.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Field Case Empty six year 2 month bump...

Post  roddie Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:01 pm

Seems a good point in time for a New Year's resolution. How about designing/building a new field tote for 2020. Better yet; design and build what we'll call a "Field Companion" for a particular model that you plan to run. An extension of the model itself; a tote containing possibly; spare glow-plugs, propellers.. special tools pertaining to that model, and maybe a notebook for jotting-down any particulars.. on a particular day. A "Field-Companion" would tell the story of your experience with the model. A worthwhile testament to leave. A model might well survive its creator..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:41 pm

That is an interesting concept roddie of the 'field companion' for a specific model. That would definately work well for some that are better at flying than myself that CAN bring a plane home in one piece or a couple to be able to fly again...... I do have a couple Beginner Ringmasters that this may be feasible for doing it for. I could see a small box with limited equipment to run a small 1/2a plane.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Roger Harris made a bunch of stuff for us and faded away.......sad Phred...cuz I really wanted one of his Lazer cut COX field boxes....

I have no clue why CEF software limits me to only search back to 2018....grrrrrrrr......seriously Admin, please fix this if you can.....my brain no good but I can remember threads and comments...no longer searchable

freddy --------staring at my RH ringmaster beginners biplane I flew in the Fly A thon(s) before I had my 2 strokes....pulmonary not glow fuel....pun not intended

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:14 pm

Does this field box need to be big?
ISTR posting one I built from a kit, and Roddie had line drawings on old computer paper. It is a 12" base, with two slide-open compartments on each side, and a larger one in the middle. The center section has V-shaped rests for holding a model for various tasks.
I bet I could find pics, or that post once again.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3069170-Lets-See-A-Picture-of-Your-1-2A-Field-Box
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:05 pm

fredvon4 wrote:
I have no clue why CEF  software limits me to only search back to 2018....grrrrrrrr......seriously Admin, please fix this if you can.....my brain no good but I can remember threads and comments...no longer searchable

Fred,
I cheat. You can Google your username and CoxEngineForum.com to see some pretty old posts. Add to that a few keywords, and let Google search from off-site to find some old stuff! This is how I find posts I remember making, but can't remember the details.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:37 pm

Here's Roger's contribution from way back.  The thread mentions the possibility of him selling them as a glue-together kit.  Not sure if that happened.

Field Case 8e7b7a10
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:59 pm

Here's my old faithful, was a 8th (1972) grade wood shop project, classic toolbox (for U/C planes) made from 'rock' maple. Early 80's added ends for Tx and fuel as well as cut small drawer for tools & props. By mid 90's added detachable power panel and larger bottom drawer. Now days it sits and waits on work bench...

Field Case 11001910

Field Case 2012-010
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:16 pm

944_Jim wrote:Does this field box need to be big?
ISTR posting one I built from a kit, and Roddie had line drawings on old computer paper. It is a 12" base, with two slide-open compartments on each side, and a larger one in the middle. The center section has V-shaped rests for holding a model for various tasks.
I bet I could find pics, or that post once again.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3069170-Lets-See-A-Picture-of-Your-1-2A-Field-Box

It was called the "Little Pit Kit" by Global.

Field Case Lil_pi10

I left mine natural.. and applied clear varnish/poly. The photos below were taken just now, with one round/quart fuel bottle in the central compartment.

This tote is small.. but it has enough space for an average afternoon's 1/2A control-line flight-support. The open/central compartment below the carry-handle measures; 5"W. X 10.75"L. The inside walls are 5.75" vertically, along the length of the tote. There's ample space for several reels of line, a couple different handles, starter-battery/leads and clip, sunglasses..  

Field Case 20191210
Field Case 20191211

The two side-compartments have sliding panels on top. TOOLS, spare propellers, glow-heads, line-clips/connectors, razor-knife, glue, back-up 1.5V battery/clip.. wiping-rags.. would all easily fit. Those side-compartments measure 11.5"L X 3.0"W. X 3.75"H. each.  

I suppose that a mini-panel could be installed.. if that's something you want. I'm used to having a panel-type glow-driver.. but this tote is too small for my standard-size panels. I use a Cox glow-clip with 18AWG wire and banana-plugs to start my Cox engines most of the time. I imagine that there's compact Lithium batteries that can power a panel.. and possibly an AC inverter if need be.

Now that I took another look at this little tote (was packed-away in a wardrobe..) I see a lot more potential with modern electronics/batteries.

Last edited by roddie on Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : kit name)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:38 pm

Yup. Same kit, another take:
Field Case Img_2197
Field Case Img_2198
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:51 pm

I Like that mini-panel Jim. Hobby Shack has a "Turnigy" mini-panel for around $10.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-mini-power-panel-12v-with-auto-glow-driver.html

It measures 85mm across.. which is about half the width of a standard power-panel. I'm thinking it would fit nicely in the lower-wall below the handle. There's 5" inside-width to the central compartment. A partition and lid could be made to isolate the panel and its battery from the rest of the center-compartment.

EDIT: currently out of stock and no ETA Rolling Eyes

Last edited by roddie on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : no stock)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:43 pm

Yeah, nice little power panel Jim.... Very Happy I like mine on my 1/2a field tote as well. Although mine has never left my garage and use it on my bench for bench running my engines.

Field Case 81755010
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down